• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Uh oh, I didn't know about that new property of break Kuuhadan... Will be worth a try.

Yup, his new command normal, "Genei Shiranui" can be used to stop his normal jumps, and to stop Kuuha Dan at basically any point. I don't really play Andy, so I don't know all the trick you can pull with it, but it seems very... "ninja" of him. Which is honestly something I never get out of the man who practices the Shiranui style.

I'm not sure how invincible EX Shouryudan is either. If it has the invincibility you'd like, I can see him being a MAX beast overall. I couldn't sweep under his projectiles as reliably when they were EX'd, so blocking or jumping over them was a nice option, compared to the normal one, which Leona could deal with easily.

So Im a newbie to traditional fighting games, in prep for KOF Xiv I bought the orochi saga and SF anniversary collection for my ps2 and screwed around those and beat a couple of arcade modes.

I am finding excruciatingly difficult to link Mai's HP into Ryuuenbu for her Lv.1 trial. I'm able to do Kings trials but can't seem to do mai. any tips or is Mai more for advanced players?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I am finding excruciatingly difficult to link Mai's HP into Ryuuenbu for her Lv.1 trial. I'm able to do Kings trials but can't seem to do mai. any tips or is Mai more for advanced players?

Just use a close, standing HP. I don't think the trial makes it obvious if it's close or far, stand or crouch, but it means a close, standing one. Just did it myself to make sure. The game has pretty generous hit-stun time, so it shouldn't be much of an issue if you do it all right.

Note that doing a LP Ryuuenbu wouldn't count, has to be the right strength. You'll know it's the right Ryuuenbu when she hits 2 times with the move, one with the spin, the next with the flame.

qcf x2

So Im a newbie to traditional fighting games, in prep for KOF Xiv I bought the orochi saga and SF anniversary collection for my ps2 and screwed around those and beat a couple of arcade modes.

It's probably in your head. Sometimes it's good to do trials with other characters and then come back to the one that gave you trouble.

Has anybody tried remote playing this w/ the Vita? Dat 4 button layout.

Loona

My physical copy finally arrived today, after having bought it as a digital version to ensure I could access the game on its release date, as well as get the corresponding preorder bonus content. In Europe, that already meant getting it after everyone else.

Upon inserting the disc in my PS4, a message displayed stating a physical version was detected, and that the digital version (which I had already played a few times, and on which I'd unlocked some content already) would be deleted from my PS4 while retaining saved game content - things seemed fine so far, as the game was detected, and nothing should be lost.

However, when attempting to actually use the disc to play the game, I can only get an error message about some error in the disc that does not enable the game to be read.

Now I cannot access the digital version anymore - my PS4 now defaults to requesting the physical version even if I attempt to access the game from my PSN Stone Library.

I can no longer play the game after paying twice for it.

And two think I held back on ordering the special American version despite really really wanting that artbook because I didn't want 2 physical copies (and it would have meant paying for the game 3 times).

Filled out a form at the Koch Media website reporting the situation, here's hoping I can get a replacement.

Is there some way to override the PS4's acquired tendency to want a physical version now?...

outsidah

I'm having some horribly laggy online matches.... I am on NAT Type 2 which hasn't been a problem with other games but I noticed this one complained about it. Is this an issue or am I just having crap luck tonight with matches being laggy?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Is there some way to override the PS4's acquired tendency to want a physical version now?...

I don't have as much familiarity with the stuff as I do with X1 games, but I heard something about deleting versions and restoring licenses when people were having issues between the Demo and Final versions of Grand Kingdom. There's SOMETHING out there for handling such issues, so maybe you can find a solution within those tactics?

I'm having some horribly laggy online matches.... I am on NAT Type 2 which hasn't been a problem with other games but I noticed this one complained about it. Is this an issue or am I just having crap luck tonight with matches being laggy?

Basically, Nat 2 is "My system is behind a router, and not directly connected to the internet." The game complained about it because people wanna blame netcode before they blame their own online settings ;-)

Anywho, slowdown lag (the game rate slows down) is a bug. The best ways to play ATM are in the "session" side of lobbies, and idealy, in a "Party Battle" mode, where the netcode is working more like intended.

There's a patch on the way to basically bring all modes at LEAST up to the party battle standard, that's already been submitted, but it's not out yet.

kunonabi

Uh oh, I didn't know about that new property of break Kuuhadan... Will be worth a try.

I've been using the new break in the corner mostly:

1 stock

cr.B, cr.B, st.B>st.B xx MAX, st.B>st.D xx db,f + A+C, hcf + B xx d+D, dp + A+C - 440

2 stock

cr.B, cr.B, st.B>st.B xx MAX, st.B>st.D xx db,f + AC, hcf + B xx d+D db,f + A xx qcf,hcb + A - 555

3 stock

cr.B, cr.B, st.B>st.B xx MAX st.B > st.D xx hcf + A+C, hcf + B xx d+D, dp + C xx qcb,hcf + A+C - 620

Did they already tweak Leona? I can't get that strike arc to cancel into x-caliber unless I cancelled into it. Not that it matters since she hits like a truck anyway.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Anybody's else think hyperhops seemed nerfed?

Nope. My Leona hops feel better than ever, because her normals are a lot better at working like they're suppose to.

There's a lot more to hop game in KOF than just hop speed. The amount of hitstun on the normals, the cross-up boxes, hitstun, which characters have what on their normals, and how good the buttons are that deal with the jumps themselves.

Any nerf to hops in this game just help make the grounded normals and special options (like teleports and using normals for footsies and area restriction) feel good.

outsidah

Basically, Nat 2 is "My system is behind a router, and not directly connected to the internet." The game complained about it because people wanna blame netcode before they blame their own online settings ;-)

Anywho, slowdown lag (the game rate slows down) is a bug. The best ways to play ATM are in the "session" side of lobbies, and idealy, in a "Party Battle" mode, where the netcode is working more like intended.

There's a patch on the way to basically bring all modes at LEAST up to the party battle standard, that's already been submitted, but it's not out yet.

Ok that's what I remembered about type 2 which is why I wondered about how it worked with this game. I appreciate the info on the net code status, I've had this since last week and just haven't had time to keep up with what happened since release.

Hyun Sai

Anybody's else think hyperhops seemed nerfed?

I just think that some characters don't have the same jumps than before. I have the feeling Sie Kensou jumps less high now.

----------------------------------
Nice connexion with GigasXLR, GG man, it was really a pleasure, best connexion I had today.

I have to say, a friend lend me his stick tonight, it was night and day. I can play SFV no problem with the pad, but with KoFXIV movement, I can't make it work. Seems like I'll have to come back to my original input method and hope my hands won't suffer as much as in XIII :(

I just think that some characters don't have the same jumps than before. I have the feeling Sie Kensou jumps less high now.

Nice connexion with GigasXLR, GG man, it was really a pleasure, best connexion I had today.

I have to say, a friend lend me his stick tonight, it was night and day. I can play SFV no problem with the pad, but with KoFXIV movement, I can't make it work. Seems like I'll have to come back to my original input method and hope my hands won't suffer as much as in XIII :(

GGs, that was me. Sorry about the scumbag Gang and Love Heart tactics lol. The thing is I forgot what Gang's specials were and his super. So even though I built meter like crazy, I was trying to figure it out mid match. I wanted to try Gang because I saw MadKOF play him and he straight up kept doing hop hangetsuzans for a whole match until he had max than just climax the opponent. The meter build is just too good.

Love Heart was the only one on that team that I had actual match experience with since I played her at EVO (though anyone knows how to play her to be honest), so more or less it was just poke fishing with the meter scamming Gang did. Though it would be smarter to have her right after Gang does his thing on point.

Though to be honest I know my best characters are some variation of Beni, Leona (because I played them in the older games) and Love Heart. I want to branch out to different characters but usually I forget what my moves are for a new character I'm still learning unless I take them into a match for a decent amount of time. Hence the really bad Gang, Alice, and Mian showing lol. Usually in the other games I put a shoto-like character on point in front of Leona and Beni, because they are easy enough to play, but I honestly don't think those points mesh with me 100% in KOF.

Xevren

Great to see his XIII stun shenanigans back.

My biggest problem with Joe are his new command normals and how the miss crouchers. What was done in that video will only work on standing opponents.

Yea I'm noticing that with a lot of characters too. I know one of his command normals will hit at least on crouchers.

Hyun Sai

GGs, that was me. Sorry about the scumbag Gang and Love Heart tactics lol. The thing is I forgot what Gang's specials were and his super. So even though I built meter like crazy, I was trying to figure it out mid match. I wanted to try Gang because I saw MadKOF play him and he straight up kept doing hop hangetsuzans for a whole match until he had max than just climax the opponent. The meter build is just too good.

Love Heart was the only one on that team that I had actual match experience with since I played her at EVO (though anyone knows how to play her to be honest), so more or less it was just poke fishing with the meter scamming Gang did. Though it would be smarter to have her right after Gang does his thing on point.

Though to be honest I know my best characters are some variation of Beni, Leona (because I played them in the older games) and Love Heart. I want to branch out to different characters but usually I forget what my moves are for a new character I'm still learning unless I take them into a match for a decent amount of time. Hence the really bad Gang, Alice, and Mian showing lol. Usually in the other games I put a shoto-like character on point in front of Leona and Beni, because they are easy enough to play, but I honestly don't think those points mesh with me 100% in KOF.

No problem, it's all good !

For my part, I used a lot Robert and Mai like 2 years ago in XIII, but they did some change to some of their moves, especially Robert. I didn't use Sie Kensou in XIII, didn't like what they did to him, but in this game he is very similar to his 98 iteration, all good for me. I just had to rely on my muscle memory of like 17 years ago lol...

For arcade stick users, are you using the default "capcom" style scheme or did you switch the the "snk" style?

Ive always played capcom fighters, so im using that style for now, but I feel snk style would be better, though the learning time would be lengthy.

Tripon

For arcade stick users, are you using the default "capcom" style scheme or did you switch the the "snk" style?

Ive always played capcom fighters, so im using that style for now, but I feel snk style would be better, though the learning time would be lengthy.

Capcom style because I want to be able to switch between SFV and KoF XIV.

I switched to Neo Geo style like 2 years ago and never looked back. It's the way KoF was meant to be played, the way I see it. I don't have any issues playing Capcom fighters.

Hyun Sai

I'm using

AC
BD

Simply because my fingers move much less, so less margin of error.

I don't think SNK style gives you any advantage, so stick with what you're comfortable with.

And also what Tripon said above.

Het_Nkik

Whats neogeo style?

neogeo_a_img2.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
Just going through everyone's moves in training mode and what's up with Terry's 3 level consuming power dunk doing barely any damage?

Tizoc

My mnd keeps forgetting that cd attacks can be used in combos in this game
Prob the most drastic change in the series to me

JediLink

What's the execution like in this game? When I tried KoF13 I was turned off by how difficult it was compared to the generous amount of input leniency in modern Capcom games. What's KoF14 closer to?

My physical copy finally arrived today, after having bought it as a digital version to ensure I could access the game on its release date, as well as get the corresponding preorder bonus content. In Europe, that already meant getting it after everyone else.

Upon inserting the disc in my PS4, a message displayed stating a physical version was detected, and that the digital version (which I had already played a few times, and on which I'd unlocked some content already) would be deleted from my PS4 while retaining saved game content - things seemed fine so far, as the game was detected, and nothing should be lost.

However, when attempting to actually use the disc to play the game, I can only get an error message about some error in the disc that does not enable the game to be read.

Now I cannot access the digital version anymore - my PS4 now defaults to requesting the physical version even if I attempt to access the game from my PSN Stone Library.

I can no longer play the game after paying twice for it.

And two think I held back on ordering the special American version despite really really wanting that artbook because I didn't want 2 physical copies (and it would have meant paying for the game 3 times).

Filled out a form at the Koch Media website reporting the situation, here's hoping I can get a replacement.

Wow, that sucks. Unfortunately I have no idea but I hope you figure it out.

BadWolf

The game sold 20,655 copies in Japan in its opening week.

For reference, KOFXIII sold 21,525 copies at launch.

any hints for sie kensou trial 4? don't know what i'm doing wrong, combo just stops at the 214HK part. rest was easy.

Kensou doesn't have a 214HK, it's 214HP (the fireball) which you then supercancel by doing a second 214+LP+HP.

Kensou doesn't have a 214HK, it's 214HP (the fireball) which you then supercancel by doing a second 214+LP+HP.

yes sry, meant HP. no special timing involved or anything else? because that's the only barrier left and i'm done. it's just strange to me i'm not getting it.

BadWolf

yes sry, meant HP. no special timing involved or anything else? because that's the only barrier left and i'm done. it's just strange to me i'm not getting it.

Try this:

1. QCB+HP for the fireball.
2. Then immediately after do QCB+LP+HP and continue to hold LP+HP for the super.

When you hold the buttons(s) down after a special or super input, it gets buffered for a few frames and keeps it in memory, allowing for the move to come out even if you did it a little too early.

Tripon

Kof 14 has shipped 20k units in japan
i could see wouldve shippd/sold over 100k by year's end
Not even SFV has reached 100k in Japan. SFV topped at 65K before completely falling off the charts.

To get 100K would require some serious legs that fighting games haven't seen for generations.

Just tried it, it's kinda fiddly. Don't do it too fast.

Try this:

1. QCB+HP for the fireball.
2. Then immediately after do QCB+LP+HP and continue to hold LP+HP for the super.

When you hold the buttons(s) down after a special or super input, it gets buffered for a few frames and keeps it in memory, allowing for the move to come out even if you did it a little too early.

kk thx, will give it another go later. i'll report back,

Tizoc

Not even SFV has reached 100k in Japan. SFV topped at 65K before completely falling off the charts.

To get 100K would require some serious legs that fighting games haven't seen for generations.
Sorry inmeant combined for worldwide :x

Sayad

Kof 14 has shipped 20k units in japan
i could see wouldve shippd/sold over 100k by year's end

It's the best KoF opening in Japan since XI, that's great! But I don't see it reaching 100k in Japan. XIV have both the Korean and Chinese markets though, something previous KoF console releases didn't have.

Edit: for world wide, 100k by the end of the year will be a disappointment, it could probably do more.

Hyun Sai

I believe it's not shipped, it's sold through.

Here the complete list courtesy of MMaker from SRK

1-[3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura (Level-5, 07/16/16) – 32,460 (1,152,838)
2-[PS4] Tales of Berseria (Bandai Namco, 08/18/16) – 24,057 (197,593)
3-[PS4] No Man’s Sky (SIE, 08/25/16) – 22,200 (New)
4-[PS4] The King of Fighters XIV (SNK, 08/25/16) – 20,655 (New)
5-[PSV] Sengoku Otome: Legend Battle (Shirogumi New Media Development, 08/25/16) – 16,054 (New)
6-[PS4] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den (Capcom, 08/25/16) – 15,592 (New)
7-[PS3] Tales of Berseria (Bandai Namco, 08/18/16) – 15,262 (91,447)
8-[PS4] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X (Sega, 08/25/16) – 12,915 (New)
9-[PS3] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den (Capcom, 08/25/16) – 11,796 (New)
10-[3DS] Dragon Ball Fusions (Bandai Namco, 08/04/16) – 10,827 (138,479)
11-[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: Kami no Shou / Ryuu no Shou (GungHo Online Entertainment, 07/28/16) – 10,372 (154,477)
12-[3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot (Nintendo, 04/29/16) – 8,147 (415,444)
13-[Wii U] Minecraft: Wii U Edition (Mojang, 06/23/16) – 8,003 (99,412)
14-[3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire (Pokemon, 11/21/14) – 6,914 (2,878,174)
15-[3DS] Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack (Inti Creates, 08/25/16) – 6,426 (New)
16-[3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Nintendo, 02/18/16) – 5,301 (228,811)
17-[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (SIE, 03/19/15) – 5,114 (859,174)
18-[Wii U] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Nintendo, 06/23/16) – 4,810 (86,256)
19-[PSV] Beast and Princess (Idea Factory, 08/25/16) – 4,765 (New)
20-[Wii U] Splatoon (Nintendo, 05/28/15) – 4,441 (1,456,508)

Beating a serie like Sengoku Basara in Japan is pretty solid.

JobenNC

So I'm really digging this so far. Pretty basic at fighters and have never played an SNK game. Looking to get less bad. PSN: JobenNC

Tizoc

I believe it's not shipped, it's sold through.

Here the complete list courtesy of MMaker from SRK

1-[3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura (Level-5, 07/16/16) – 32,460 (1,152,838)
2-[PS4] Tales of Berseria (Bandai Namco, 08/18/16) – 24,057 (197,593)
3-[PS4] No Man’s Sky (SIE, 08/25/16) – 22,200 (New)
4-[PS4] The King of Fighters XIV (SNK, 08/25/16) – 20,655 (New)
5-[PSV] Sengoku Otome: Legend Battle (Shirogumi New Media Development, 08/25/16) – 16,054 (New)
6-[PS4] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den (Capcom, 08/25/16) – 15,592 (New)
7-[PS3] Tales of Berseria (Bandai Namco, 08/18/16) – 15,262 (91,447)
8-[PS4] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X (Sega, 08/25/16) – 12,915 (New)
9-[PS3] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den (Capcom, 08/25/16) – 11,796 (New)
10-[3DS] Dragon Ball Fusions (Bandai Namco, 08/04/16) – 10,827 (138,479)
11-[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: Kami no Shou / Ryuu no Shou (GungHo Online Entertainment, 07/28/16) – 10,372 (154,477)
12-[3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot (Nintendo, 04/29/16) – 8,147 (415,444)
13-[Wii U] Minecraft: Wii U Edition (Mojang, 06/23/16) – 8,003 (99,412)
14-[3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire (Pokemon, 11/21/14) – 6,914 (2,878,174)
15-[3DS] Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack (Inti Creates, 08/25/16) – 6,426 (New)
16-[3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Nintendo, 02/18/16) – 5,301 (228,811)
17-[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (SIE, 03/19/15) – 5,114 (859,174)
18-[Wii U] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Nintendo, 06/23/16) – 4,810 (86,256)
19-[PSV] Beast and Princess (Idea Factory, 08/25/16) – 4,765 (New)
20-[Wii U] Splatoon (Nintendo, 05/28/15) – 4,441 (1,456,508)

Beating a serie like Sengoku Basara in Japan is pretty solid.

It beat a Sengoku Basara Spin off, that's not really saying much.

BadWolf

Pro-tip: don't kick too much ass in party battle or players will leave.

Makes sense since everyone wants a turn but yeah, I have more fun with trying new characters now instead just playing serious.

Finally won a little with Angel, had to sleaze me way through with the EX unblockable lol (thanks SixMachine!).

Did land some side switch shenanigans but it's tough getting a chain going up close since people are so afraid of her and use CD counter often the moment you get in.

Grifter

Yeah you cancel into a climax DM from specials and normals. And you don't need to be in max mode to do it.

Unless you mean entering max mode? That's quick max. You can enter max mode only after normals and not during specials. The only exception is max bypass which lets you enter max mode while doing a special after connecting a normal.

Entering max mode. Wait, you can do so with a normal cancelled into special into quick max?

From max mode, does the climax DM take less meter?

Hyun Sai

It beat a Sengoku Basara Spin off, that's not really saying much.

Didn't know about that !

When we think of it, the market in Japan is in a sad state. KoFXIII with similar number was number 10 on that list.

Entering max mode. Wait, you can do so with a normal cancelled into special into quick max?

Yeah, Climax costs 2 bars in max mode.

BadWolf

Yeah it's called activation bypass. Try this with Robert:

st.HP > fwd+LK > QCB+BCD

What will happen is that you will bypass the activation stage and enter max mode by doing an EX version of QCB+K.

As for meter usage, activating max mode counts as using one power bar so as long as it's active an EX super will cost 1 bar and a Climax super will cost 2 bars. But that's only because you used the 1 bar for activation first, so in the end the EX super and Climax still cost 2 and 3 bar respectively.

Blug, i need to figure out how to deal with Robert's fireballs as Love Heart. Got dunked in party battle just now.

You'd think 'Oh, the slash erases fireballs so it's okay' but his are a lot faster than the slash is.

Top Bottom