• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

stn

He has an air parry, so why not? It's not something you greedily rely on, but using it as a thing to put people on notice, so that they stop jumping in with Normals Abuse is a solid strat.

Geese can get parries off during pressure strings pretty nicely, and his SDM counter hits like a truck and guards his entire body CS Sweeps, Jump-ins, everything "physical" thing. His footsie normals ain't all that great, so his parries are even more important than they'd be if he had a far reaching st.B or such.
Thank you to you and Xevren!

Ok, so what is my goal with Geese? I know he can zone a bit, has good supers, and has the SRK + P move after a knock down. But what is the optimal way to play him? I'm too much of a Street Fighter player, if that makes sense. I always feel like I'm playing this game wrong.

GooeyHeat

The story mode endings are seriously so freaking cute. I'm enjoying just doing 1-2 a day and making my way through all of them.
The character interactions in this game in general are so entertaining. It's something I've always liked about SNK, even if it ended up being hidden behind... interesting translations in the old days.

Also I had a bunch of crappy underwater online matches tonight for the first time, and it really is a pain. Hopefully the patch hits sooner rather than later because when it was working well for me last week it was great.

For all those Angel fans, her ex qcb+AC is a guard break. You can do C f+B max mode cancel C f+B then qcb+AC into a guard break then land a super after. Basically anytime you hit their guard and pressure with f+B you are close enough to cancel into qcb+AC for the guard break, if you cancel off A or D, the pushback is too great to connect on block. Enjoy free guard breaks until people learn the matchup. Though since her special strings can more or less be safe, I think she is great at chipping at the guard meter. She can't put on the clown show like in 2k2 and juggle you forever in the corner though.

might as well throw my hat in to that spreadsheet

SixMachine --- GiygasXLR --- USA/Texas

Finally received my Collector's Edition from Amazon. The soundtrack...Ikari's dramatic battle theme!!! I had to turn my head at the theme. Amazing!

Still haven't even booted up the game.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
MatchMaking Spreadsheet Updated.
Add this link as well as the new names to the OP when you can, Tizoc!

Thank you to you and Xevren!

Ok, so what is my goal with Geese? I know he can zone a bit, has good supers, and has the SRK + P move after a knock down. But what is the optimal way to play him? I'm too much of a Street Fighter player, if that makes sense. I always feel like I'm playing this game wrong.

Not a problem! I don't know about the optimal way to play him, but here are some notes, at least:

- qcb+ A can combo from light crouching punches. So 2 crouching weak punches into it is among his best weak attack, meterless conversions. Which isn't all that great, but it's good to use.

- Cr. C is slower that close C (so doesnt' use it after landing jump-ins) but it has nice range, is an OK anti-air/hop check, and can be combo'd out of by specials / his f+A command normal.

- F+A is a great surprise overhead when done by itself, and a combo-fodder tool when done off close / crouch C attacks. You'll be surprised how often people fall for the overhead when you chase after their recoveries and meaty it into their wakeups.

-His Jumping / Hopping C, the "Pattycake" can hit like 3 times out of a hop. Honestly, people don't expect this too much, and they're all air moves, so if they think you'll hit 2 times, and then try to block the predicited low moves upon landing... while you're STILL in the air, here's a free opening!

- Cr.D -> F+B command normal can be cancelled into DP+P. Even though his sweep isnt' a hard knockdown, this allows you to chase after the sweep, and get the OTG throw even at mid screen, in the few ground frames before an opponent can tech. Even if you don't go for the throw, this lets you chase after someone who recovery rolls, and apply an OK block string if you don't hit.

- Much like with the trick above, there are a few frames on knockdown where OTGs will work, if an opponent falls into them. Hence you can OTG with RAIZING STOOORRRM. DP OTG, or Raigou Reppuken on sweeps, or the knockdown from be qcb+C->f+P in the corner, if you like.

- Normal Air fireball Shippu Ken is kinda roll bait. Geese recovers hella slow from it, but it's good to stop jumps or change trajectory. But don't forget about the EX one, which lets him keep his momentum while jumping with it.

- Don't forget weak hop normals. Hoping over a PREDICTABO sweep and hitting with a swift A or B can get you a nice quick combo quite often.

- His mid-blow counter switches sides, and leave opponents open for combos. Just keep that in mid, in case you catch a few obvious pokes with it.

That's the stuff I keep in mind, without going into his MAX mode options.

Amazon finally delivered my copy of the game so I guess is time to share my info so I can get bodied.

Dark_Tzitzimine------Dark_Tzitzimine-------Mexico City

Jaeger

Mam, this ending open ups the possibilities for so many characters to return and make their first playable appearance in this series. Characters I would like to see back from the dead;

Goenitz
Yashiro
Shermie
Gaidel (hinted at in the Ikari Warriors Team ending)
Rugal

I would to see Yamazaki make his return as well.

Sayad

Posted in the previous page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VII_BoA8LU

Look like Kensou and Mui Mui are going on a date - forget Sylvie, the dragon gal is bringing Athena's age to an end.
So Andy and Mai live together now!
137593505136.jpg

lmao at Chang x Leona intro.

Neoxon

Posted in the previous page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VII_BoA8LU

Look like Kensou and Mui Mui are going on a date - forget Sylvie, the dragon gal is bringing Athena's age to an end.
Watch the following interaction, Kensou is still crazy for Athena.

I love how Billy cut the conversation short the minute Joe showed up. Clearly Billy's still salty that Joe's dating his sister.

Also, there's no mention of Robert & Yuri's relationship? In fact, it seems as though Robert's taken on more of a mentor role concerning Yuri. I get that he can't marry her without incurring the wrath of Ryo, but still. Then again, I believe it's been downplayed for most of the KoF games.

I just finished KOFXIV's trials. Which doesn't much since the trial mode has easier trials than your usual 2 bar bnb for any given character.

I know XIII's trials were brutal but these erred a bit too much on the easy side. The only one's I had trouble with were Angel's and Nelson's trials and those mostly because of how unorthodox their controls are compared to the rest. I mean, I thought trials were more of representation of what's possible in the engine rather than just "here's a combo, here's a combo with a super cancel, here's combo with a max cancel into super..."

They are easier than some other games for sure, but for the average person i think they'd still they'd have some trouble. ie me, i still have some trouble lol. Mostly with combos that have max mode in the middle; something about a button press not having an impact sound throws my timing off. Combos with single button presses that hit twice give me the same issue. I completed Terry's trials the other day, but hit them up again as a reminder earlier today. His HP, 3HP, Power Charge, Buster Wolf, Stardunk was giving me serious trouble, but just the beginning part into Power Charge! The super linking is easy, but my timing was off in the beginning and no matter how i tried to adjust i just kept doing the same thing, an embarrassing 500 or so times probably! Then i went out, just came back and pulled it off no worries several times in a row, go figure. I honestly don't know how people can hit confirm into some of these, i have to plan and commit to performing them, and even then i'm lucky if i actually pull it off!

I think they should have had more trials though, maybe 10 or 15, cause the trials don't really scratch the surface of a characters' moves. Though it can't be that hard to program a new trial, when they've got 50 characters x 15 trials, that's a lot of checking they'd have to do if they change the systems slightly, so maybe that's why. Actually did anyone else notice Kyo's Air 2HP, HP, 3HK is a lot harder to chain now? The final hit can be hit or miss now, whereas i was pulling it off pretty reliably in the demo.

For my PSN tag... i don't have PS+, so noone can beat up on me :D I did get to play online this past weekend, as Sony had a few free days in Japan. It was plenty smooth (i only tried party). Actually the reason i don't have PS+ is because online tends to just frustrate me. The last time i played online properly was around SF4's release. I lived in Australia and had a shitty connection so it never felt right. But apart from lag, i don't really enjoy online because I can never consistently find and play repeatedly against someone around my skill level. It's either some noob or some god!

I haven't really been able to play competitive local with friends since around the SFA3 days. I much preferred those days since you could at least get average-good together, and it was quick to play. When i play online, it feels like more than half the time is waiting instead of playing. As a result, most of my game time is spent in training mode trying to do combos which aren't really practical in matches anyway. It's a bad thing when i do play against someone else, as I just end up trying to land the combos instead of playing safer, and getting myself destroyed! But playing alone, it's pretty boring exploring normals so i just end up back trying to do big combos for fun.

Loona

Food for thought. Does Kula and K' fit the shoto model?

Some of the tools are there, but my habits from that character type rarely translate well to K' and Kula - projectiles are certainly not their strength, considering those are just possible extension of other moves which provide alternative options - the direction seems to be mostly on extended combos - but again, they aren't character I do well with.
Robert and Andy are far closer to the shoto archetype in recent KoFs.

Watch the following interaction, Kensou is still crazy for Athena.

Rome was not built in a day, Athens will not be brought down overnight - heck, this is a character with a pending story independent from the Athena stuff since 99. As far as I'm concerned, the seeds are planted for Kensou to start looking away from the idol next door.

Speaking of character developments, nice to see Leona warming up in the Ikari and K' endings.

Also speaking of endings, in Geese's
he mention Verse is apparently mentioned in the Jin scrolls from Fatal Fury - which makes since, considering their association with immortality and this game's ending's revival of the dead and retconned.

I love how Billy cut the conversation short the minute Joe showed up. Clearly Billy's still salty that Joe's dating his sister.

I think the worse thing is that Joe's trying to hit on other girls, and I figure Billy thinks that worse than having your boss's enemy dating your sister is seeing he doesn't care enough to at least stay focused on her: http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/us/games/kof-xiv/teamstory/fatalfury.php

Also, there's no mention of Robert & Yuri's relationship? In fact, it seems as though Robert's taken on more of a mentor role concerning Yuri. I get that he can't marry her without incurring the wrath of Ryo, but still. Then again, I believe it's been downplayed for most of the KoF games.

It's odd how he seemed ready to pop Yuri the question in XIII's ending (where Takuma's wrath was the bigger deal), and now it seems like it's more of a secret: http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/us/games/kof-xiv/teams/artoffighting.php

stn

MatchMaking Spreadsheet Updated.
Add this link as well as the new names to the OP when you can, Tizoc!

Not a problem! I don't know about the optimal way to play him, but here are some notes, at least:

- qcb+ A can combo from light crouching punches. So 2 crouching weak punches into it is among his best weak attack, meterless conversions. Which isn't all that great, but it's good to use.

- Cr. C is slower that close C (so doesnt' use it after landing jump-ins) but it has nice range, is an OK anti-air/hop check, and can be combo'd out of by specials / his f+A command normal.

- F+A is a great surprise overhead when done by itself, and a combo-fodder tool when done off close / crouch C attacks. You'll be surprised how often people fall for the overhead when you chase after their recoveries and meaty it into their wakeups.

-His Jumping / Hopping C, the "Pattycake" can hit like 3 times out of a hop. Honestly, people don't expect this too much, and they're all air moves, so if they think you'll hit 2 times, and then try to block the predicited low moves upon landing... while you're STILL in the air, here's a free opening!

- Cr.D -> F+B command normal can be cancelled into DP+P. Even though his sweep isnt' a hard knockdown, this allows you to chase after the sweep, and get the OTG throw even at mid screen, in the few ground frames before an opponent can tech. Even if you don't go for the throw, this lets you chase after someone who recovery rolls, and apply an OK block string if you don't hit.

- Much like with the trick above, there are a few frames on knockdown where OTGs will work, if an opponent falls into them. Hence you can OTG with RAIZING STOOORRRM. DP OTG, or Raigou Reppuken on sweeps, or the knockdown from be qcb+C->f+P in the corner, if you like.

- Normal Air fireball Shippu Ken is kinda roll bait. Geese recovers hella slow from it, but it's good to stop jumps or change trajectory. But don't forget about the EX one, which lets him keep his momentum while jumping with it.

- Don't forget weak hop normals. Hoping over a PREDICTABO sweep and hitting with a swift A or B can get you a nice quick combo quite often.

- His mid-blow counter switches sides, and leave opponents open for combos. Just keep that in mid, in case you catch a few obvious pokes with it.

That's the stuff I keep in mind, without going into his MAX mode options.
Amazing, thank you! Do you know if Geese's QCB+P palm attack is safe on block?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Safe-ish, at least. Even the furthest retreats can be punished by some things, so I won't pretend I'm 100% sure, but it's the option I'd go for on block. ...If I'm not trying to trick people with overheads.

*Should definitely point out I only mean the LP variant.

Here's a very good summary from Eternal Blaze on SRK about general safety in KoF:
Here's some general Notes that still apply to XIV:
Fastest normal is usually 4 frames. With most characters it's their close C or close D, with some it's a light normal.

Dps are usually 4 or 5 frames, EXs can be quicker (3 frames) but that's rare.

Rekkas on block are generally -7/-8 but they're really hard to punish, in most cases you need a very specific move and with some characters they can only punish with meter.

Light projectiles usually have more startup but stupid fast recovery, where even if you block it point blank they'll still be safe.
Heavy versions are quicker in travelling and startup but have actual recovery.

Crouching lights can range from -1 to +4 on block, heavies generally lean to have more negative frames but usually safe if spaced.

Sweeps are generally negative, but with most characters they are block or whiff cancellable so you won't really many chances to punish raw ones.

Blowbacks are + on block, or at the very least even. Deep air blowbacks are very +, enough to get a free hop mixup after.

Anything invincible is generally death on block, but in some cases the punish needs some effort (eg: K's or Kula's dp. You need to run after it to be close enough to punish heavily)

If you want something specific, best way to get an "estimate" is using the "1 guard jump" setting in training mode. Do the move and let the cpu block then hold up, whoever jumps first is at advantage, if you or the cpu are much higher that means the move is vastly + or - on block.

Hopefully that helps.

Which all pairs really well with SquirrelSoup's testing below! :) Thanks.

Just tested, qcb+lp looks like -4 with some pushback so kinda sorta safe-ish. qcb+hp and all followups are very unsafe.

Edit: To expand on that, it means Kyo can get a light DP or, with meter, far A into MAX into close C into you-get-hurt-but-at-least-it-will-be-scaled. If the opponent is on the ball -and- you used it point blank. But it will vary by character, some normals tend to miss due to the pushback even if they're quick enough and if used at max range it can't be punished.

So in short, "safe-ish" as SAB CA said basically covers it ;)

qcf x2

I'm messing around w/ Sylvie and while I like her game, I wish they gave her one rangy normal that connects into a special. She feels like a corner monster, but 1. You have to get them there and 2. Who isn't a corner monster in KoF?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm messing around w/ Sylvie and while I like her game, I wish they gave her one rangy normal that connects into a special. She feels like a corner monster, but 1. You have to get them there and 2. Who isn't a corner monster in KoF?

I think she pairs well with the design of characters like Tung and Chin, actually. They have even shorter limbs, but can cancel them more; yet she has more safety, a good special for semi-chip, and an overhead.

I do like how well her Hop. B can cross up against sweeps and lows.

I've got some time right now, anyone on the East Coast for some quick matches ?

Hmmm, sure, I'll give it a shot.

BadWolf

Tried Meitenkun in a few matches and he can be pretty effective on even a basic level. His normals look solid but his cr. HP being the sweep kept throwing me off (especially since his cr. D, which I kept doing by mistake, has crap horizontal range). His level 1 charge time feels fast even by KOF standards.

I also showed him to my friend (a non gamer) and she really liked his sleepy animations. I thought she would call his design girly but she just said that he was very pretty.

Her far LK is cancellable, you can combo it into QCF+P and then hit confirm into super from there.

KoD specific win quotes

>vs. Angel: You won't build any muscle fooling around. Challenge yourself for real!
>vs. Antonov: I'm gonna take that shiny belt!
>vs. Athena: My heart breaks, having defeated justice...Could it be that my heroic heart is crying out?!
>vs. Bandeiras: Not good enough! I was already defeating ninjas some 65, 000, 000 years ago.
>vs. Chang: Your flesh is chewy...But you are not tasty at all, you scum!
>vs. Clark: A hastily put together wrestler like you is no match for a king of dinosaurs like me!
>vs. Daimon: If you weren't so good at recovering, there'd be no way for you to remain unscathed.
>vs. Geese: Face justice evildoer! Wait, no, face evil's judgement! GRRR!
>vs. K': A predator like you is no match for a dinosaur!
>vs. Kim: These fangs will crush your sense of justice to pieces.
>vs. King: Those Muay Thai kicks are powerless against a dinosaur!
>vs. Meitenkun: You're gonna cry at night thinking about how scary I am, aren't you? Wahahaha!
>vs. Mian: A suspicious masked fighter! I have punished you!
>vs. Nakoruru: This dinosaur strength is unmatched, surpassing even nature itself!
>vs. Nelson: See that boxer?! THAT was a proper ending! GRR!
>vs. Ramon: The true battle to be the best in Mexico! Viva Mexico!
>vs. Terry: Seems like you've already fought a real wrestler before! I bet he was really strong!
>vs. Verse: You flashy idiot! I won't allow you to steal all the attention of the audience!
>vs. Vice: I win in strength. That's because dinosaurs have the maximum in muscles, snake lady!
>vs. Yuri: Dinosaurs are stronger than dragons and tigers! GRRR!

Angel's

>vs. Antonov: YAY, I got the belt!! Hmm, How much you think is worth?
>vs. Bandeiras: Hey ninja! Is that outfit the only thing cool about you?
>vs. Choi: You make those nails yourself? Aren't they a little dull?
>vs. Gang Il: Hey, Old man! You act pretty big! But can you handle a young girl like me in that state?
>vs. Geese: Isn't a little greedy trying to be a strong fighter and a business man while also maintaining a name as notorious villian?
>vs. Iori: Hmmm, something's lacking...Ah right, what's lacking is your screams!
>vs. K': Hmph, what a letdown...Right now, you're nowhere near as good as me.
>vs. Kensou: Still haven't realized all of your power?
>vs. Kula: You're still a little kid. You haven't changed at all since then.
>vs. Kukri: Can you get a clear look at how cute I am with your hood up like that?
>vs. Kyo: I thought the real deal would've been stronger...Too bad; what a letdown.
>vs. Leona: Maybe it'd be better if you took life a little bit easier?
>vs. Mai: Unlike me, that playful cuteness of yours doesn't hold up.
>vs. Nakoruru: Using an animal to fight me! Playing dirty is no good!
>vs. Ramon: Trying to go easy on me by covering that eye? ...I'm not so weak that you can win that way.
>vs Shun'ei: With those headphones on, you can't hear my beautiful voice.
>vs. Sylvie: Who on earth paid to make you...? Not that you can hear me anymore. Too bad.
>vs. Terry: The way you lose looks so good! You really are a star!
>vs. Verse: Lots of hands, lots of fire, this thing is completely absurd *Pouts*
>vs. Yuri: You're cute but I'm the strongest cute one.

BadWolf

Can you MAX cancel out of specials, or only normals?

Yeah you cancel into a climax DM from specials and normals. And you don't need to be in max mode to do it.

Unless you mean entering max mode? That's quick max. You can enter max mode only after normals and not during specials. The only exception is max bypass which lets you enter max mode while doing a special after connecting a normal.

qcf x2

Tried Meitenkun in a few matches and he can be pretty effective on even a basic level. His normals look solid but his cr. HP being the sweep kept throwing me off (especially since his cr. D, which I kept doing by mistake, has crap horizontal range). His level 1 charge time feels fast even by KOF standards.

I also showed him to my friend (a non gamer) and she really liked his sleepy animations. I thought she would call his design girly but she just said that he was very pretty.

Her far LK is cancellable, you can combo it into QCF+P and then hit confirm into super from there.

Yeah, I'm learning she's a MAX monster as well. able to link 3 EX specials together for big damage, and with her lvl 2 punch super being OTG that means even more damage. I do like that some characters are designed around MAX utility and some get the most mileage from just canceling supers into each other. I'm having a lot of fun learning her, but her awful range and my inability to reliably close distance means I probably won't be winning with her against real people any time soon, lol.

Here's vids 1, 2 and 3 of me messing around.

I'm having to alternate between playing with my stick and DS4, since the stick is too noisy at night time... I don't mind the DS4 layout overall, but i wish they sold a variant with 4 digital triggers!

Has there been any update as to when we should be expecting the patch? I haven't really played since beginning of last week due to some pretty meh connection. Hopefully it isn't delayed because of the 3 character online glitch.

Het_Nkik

Has there been any update as to when we should be expecting the patch? I haven't really played since beginning of last week due to some pretty meh connection. Hopefully it isn't delayed because of the 3 character online glitch.

Not since the 26th when they said it was in the review process. Should be up just as soon as Sony approves it, which should be sometime this week.

Cody_D165

Banned
Just picked up the game and I am loving the old school feel. I am pretty garbage at 2D fighters but the video in the OP is helping me understand some KOF fundamentals. Anyone have other resources to recommend that will help me learn, or recommendations for beginner characters? ie who is the Ryu of KOF that will help me learn basics?

Hyun Sai

Hmmm, sure, I'll give it a shot.

Well, it froze on us ^^

GGs, I had some slowdown, I missed A LOT of specials, confirms, etc lol. Must do the input too fast :(

And they killed Andy shoryu, incredible. It really doesn't have any more invincibility frames...

BadWolf

Here's vids 1, 2 and 3 of me messing around.

Awesome, thanks for these, will try out when I take her to training.

Just picked up the game and I am loving the old school feel. I am pretty garbage at 2D fighters but the video in the OP is helping me understand some KOF fundamentals. Anyone have other resources to recommend that will help me learn, or recommendations for beginner characters? ie who is the Ryu of KOF that will help me learn basics?

Hellpockets made a beginners guide: King of Fighters XIV Primer Guide

Also check out the Juicebox vids in the OP, they are for KOFXIII but most of that (movements, mix ups, general mechanics etc.) will apply to XIV as well (and other KOFs).

As for which character to pick:

The roster accounts for a ton of play styles and hybrids of styles so check out some characters and pick whoever is to your liking, or let us know which types you like and we'll recommend some.

If you want to learn the game with a shoto that would be more familiar to an SF player then check out Robert.

Just don't try Angel lol.

qcf x2

Ryu of KoF? Hmm, you can't go wrong with Kyo, Ryo, Robert, Iori & K' but really you can learn fundamentals that translate from most of the characters. The tutorial gives you a solid introduction to the core gameplay.

Just don't try Angel lol.

Yep, no Angel lol.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Well, it froze on us ^^

GGs, I had some slowdown, I missed A LOT of specials, confirms, etc lol. Must do the input too fast :(

And they killed Andy shoryu, incredible. It really doesn't have any more invincibility frames...

Yup, good times! :) Fighitn' Fatal Fury characters in a Fatal Fury Stage... haha. I was happy I was able to react to your jumps and such generally, and sweep under and hop over fireballs, and the like. Even got a few Guard Points with Maxima, which is always one of the hardest things for me to get on any type of iffy connection.

SRK's in general seem less invincible in the game... And as you saw a few times, V-Slasher with Leona isn't absolute at all anymore, and traded 100% more than it ever would have in the past (since it was always generally impossible, lol.) Semi-safety is a big deal in the game, but absolute invulnerability is few and far between. And I REALLY miss Maxima's Full-Body-Bubble Guardpoint on DM Vapor Cannon, lol. You sweeped me out of it a few times, and that made me quite sad, lol. K.O.D has more body-covering GPs... And even on normals! :(

Hyun Sai

SRK's in general seem less invincible in the game... And as you saw a few times, V-Slasher with Leona isn't absolute at all anymore, and traded 100% more than it ever would have in the past (since it was always generally impossible, lol.) Semi-safety is a big deal in the game, but absolute invulnerability is few and far between. And I REALLY miss Maxima's Full-Body-Bubble Guardpoint on DM Vapor Cannon, lol. You sweeped me out of it a few times, and that made me quite sad, lol. K.O.D has more body-covering GPs... And even on normals! :(

I understand they reduced the invul on the supers across the board. But not on the shoryus. Terry normal Rising tackle still got his invul. Sie kensou dragon still has. Iori, K', Kyo, Athena, Robert, Ryo, Kim... None of them lose against simple normals on wake up or jumping normals. There is no point zoning with him when all his moves can be stuffed and especially the move who is crucial to his style. He doesn't even have overhead or command grab. He got even less range on his normals ! The guy got fucked lol.

I'll be back to Sie Kensou on point !

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I understand they reduced the invul on the supers across the board. But not on the shoryus. Terry normal Rising tackle still got his invul. Sie kensou dragon still has. Iori, K', Kyo, Athena, Robert, Ryo, Kim... None of them lose against simple normals on wake up or jumping normals. There is no point zoning with him when all his moves can be stuffed and especially the move who is crucial to his style. He doesn't even have overhead or command grab. He got even less range on his normals ! The guy got fucked lol.

I'll be back to Sie Kensou on point !

Yup, Rising Tackle still seems very good. Sie's has always been great (Handstand hops lows, legs have front and anti-crossup attack boxes, it's very quick...), and he has Guard point on his DP+K move AND on his HP qcf+P, lol. I think it's better than some EX's.

My brother traded a lot with my Iori DP in demo (I haven't played Iori much since then), and it could definitely be stuffed on wakeup, though it normally beat limbs fine when they were thrown from distance. Kyo's seemed much easier to hop over, and I'm sure I stuffed it on wake-up with proper meaties. Athena's is better than normal, but still not as strong as your Rising Tackle use. Robert's seems the best of the Kyokugens. Zarina's Spinning Petal invincibility is pretty bad unless she uses the EX variety. Haven't played Kim in actual matches yet, so Dunno how I feel about his Hienzan here. One tactic I liked abusing with Shun'Ei in the demo was MAX cancelling into EX Rising Efreet a bit late after the block strings, since it's invincibility and forward movement were pretty ace. Easy Anti-instant-Punish Setup.

I think Andy is suppose to get more use out of that command normal dive + the fact he can basically break Kuuhadan at 2 different points (on the ground and in the air... both which can be used to extend combos / add safety) + the fact he can mess opponent anti-airs better than anyone, with his quick un-jump. He's definitely not as scummy as his 2K2UM dive 50/50s and command unblockable, though, ha.

My brother plays Sie on anchor / mid, so I'll be looking forward to that matchup! I rarely get to play anyone other than him who uses him, and he makes me hate him every matchup, sooo...

Hyun Sai

I think Andy is suppose to get more use out of that command normal dive + the fact he can basically break Kuuhadan at 2 different points (on the ground and in the air... both which can be used to extend combos / add safety) + the fact he can mess opponent anti-airs better than anyone, with his quick un-jump. He's definitely not as scummy as his 2K2UM dive 50/50s and command unblockable, though, ha.

Uh oh, I didn't know about that new property of break Kuuhadan... Will be worth a try.

Top Bottom