• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian | TGS Hands-On Previews

omgfloofy

Banned
The positives outweigh the negatives in these previews. But as usual on Gaf the other more negative thread is getting the most attention.

Of course it is. Gaf typically feeds on that kind of negativity. I felt that the controls of SotC and Ico helped lead to the 'feel' that the games had, so I'm pretty happy to know about all of that, and to be fair- I'm curious about the Trico AI stuff. (I'm a dachshund owner. I utterly know how it feels to have an animal be disobedient! Maybe my dog will get renamed to Trico at some point after this. lol)

Elios83

Watched the Dualshockers gameplay videos.
Looks like a total Ico sequel to me.
Trico is so cute and when you look at it randomly with the camera at times it acts like a real creature, it gets curious about certain things, he's scared of others.
The game also looks like a really competent puzzle game, usually in tutorial mode the puzzles are totally obvious and boring, here the puzzles showcased are already not completely trivial and it's the beginning of the game.
Controls and camera seem indeed a lot like the previous Team Ico's games, I can see that people who are not used to them and get into the game without knowing what to expect might complain about them.
Personally after watching this footage I truly can't wait to play the full game.

belvedere

Junior Butler
The positives outweigh the negatives in these previews. But as usual on Gaf the other more negative thread is getting the most attention.
In a way i think that's good because it tempers expectations. I'm sure the game will be good, but impossible to say right now if it will be 'great'.

Is it me or is the "it's cool to hate everything" crowd starting to outnumber everyone else?

maxcriden

I mean... play it. We are both saying you should play it regardless of our differing interpretations of the main character's morality.

It's one of the best games ever made, full stop. It's my personal favorite game of all time.

Oh, I understand you're both highly recommending it. And I probably will play it. I just don't like the discomfiting feeling of playing as someone doing bad things, so hopefully my interpretation would be more in line with your own. Thanks again for your reply.

Those control impressions not looking good. It sounds like rose-tinted shades on the previewers overlooking the control scheme.

I mean I still pre-ordered the collectors edition but I was hoping they'd be able to completely bring the game into this decade.

Wtf, i missed this thread and read the other one. Those are some great impressions. Can't wait for this game ! ICO was my favorite of the 2 so I feel confident I'll love this game too

Indeed looks like a fancy Ico. Assuming it all works that's at least a good thing, good for an 80+ experience if done very well on an intangible level like story and atmosphere.

However SotC was just that much more exciting given that it was a series of epic, diverse boss battles. If this game lacks that type of action and essentially reverts to just Ico II, then that would be sad.

EGM1966

I love how the polygon thread has more than double pages of this one lol.
Technically I guess that thread should be moved to this as it's not new news but it seems having a "concern" thread for any exclusive is almost required these days.

Of course only the polygon impressions got its own unnecessary thread.

Myself I'll miss having to hold on: I like that approach. Rest of impressions indicate this is indeed another team icon game with associated approach to tone and style and gameplay.

labx

Banned
I discovered a game experience that also requires patience, but not in a frustrating way

Trico's disobedience could very well frustrate impatient players

The controls take some time to get used to

It feels awkward as hell when it comes to actually controlling the main character. The protagonist doesn't walk so much as he lurches in whichever direction you've pushed the analog stick

Just critics forgot Team Ico games?

It's essentially Ico 2, but with an AI companion much more intelligent and necessary than Shadow of the Colossus' Agro. Granted, it's slightly disappointing that Udea didn't forge ahead with an idea as bold and unique as Shadow, but only because he's set the bar impossibly high for himself.

I don’t know if this makes for a good game, but it did make for an interesting experience.

Ok, now these are hell of a jumps to conclusion.

Indeed looks like a fancy Ico. Assuming it all works that's at least a good thing, good for an 80+ experience if done very well on an intangible level like story and atmosphere.

However SotC was just that much more exciting given that it was a series of epic, diverse boss battles. If this game lacks that type of action and essentially reverts to just Ico II, then that would be sad.
Seems more like cinematic platformer/Uncharted-esque action. Collapsing architecture, chases, etc. Plus we know there are regular sized enemies and [spoiler from previous trailers]
other Trico creatures

It would be odd to expect huge SoTC style action in this.

Seems more like cinematic platformer/Uncharted-esque action. Collapsing architecture, chases, etc. Plus we know there are regular sized enemies and [spoiler from previous trailers]
other Trico creatures

It would be odd to expect huge SoTC style action in this.

I agree it would be odd to expect it. All I'm saying is that type of action really elevated the excitement. The adrenaline has to come from somewhere; otherwise the game will be a bit dull by modern standards. I wonder where that will be? Climbing and fighting small enemies is usually not it.

fantomena

It's essentially Ico 2

NH0zEjj.gif

I agree it would be odd to expect it. All I'm saying is that type of action really elevated the excitement. The adrenaline has to come from somewhere; otherwise the game will be a bit dull by modern standards. I wonder where that will be? Climbing and fighting small enemies is usually not it.
In an age of adventure games and walking sims and return of puzzlers like The Witness and Obduction and games like Undertale and Stardew Valley are huge success, I think it'll do just fine by modern standards. People love climbing and jumping on collapsing stuff

In an age of adventure games and walking sims and return of puzzlers like The Witness and Obduction and games like Undertale and Stardew Valley are huge success, I think it'll do just fine by modern standards.

Maybe. Those are indie games with different expectations from a huge game like this. This game is more targeted at the Zelda lovers, not minimalist indie game fans.

Regardless of the masses though, for me that adrenaline rush is important. A hybrid of Ico and SotC would be ideal. I'm curious if this one has some surprises of that nature in store. If it's all climbing and canned chases and a few grunt fights... be honest, does that sound incredibly compelling gameplay-wise?

Maybe. Those are indie games with different expectations from a huge game like this. This game is more targeted at the Zelda lovers, not minimalist indie game fans.
This seems to have more in common with those minimalist indie games than any Zelda game

It looks like a cinematic puzzle-platformer at its core. More akin to Inside than Zelda

Qvoth

i don't remember getting frustrated with sotc controls, so all these complaints shouldn't be a problem for me
wtzgU.gif

kurahador

The only time I had problem with Ico and SOTC control was the in first 5-10 minutes.
So this should be the same.

I'm loving all the stuff I've read so far.

Shin-chan

The most obvious weirdness is that jump is set to triangle. Like, what game in the past decade has not had jump set to X or a trigger in more fringe scenarios? :p

I bet that shit takes more than a 40 minute demo to get used to so I can see the criticisms.

KooopaKid

Banned
Mmm I just watched the videos and I didn't see any major problems. Ok the animations are a bit wobbly sometimes and the boy movements seem slightly imprecise but nothing catastrophic. The camera seem manageable too.
The biggest problem is that the game design is showing its age. ICO 2 isn't that exciting by today's standards. The AI behaviour sure is impressive but I'm not feeling the magic yet.

The most obvious weirdness is that jump is set to triangle. Like, what game in the past decade has not had jump set to X or a trigger in more fringe scenarios? :p

I bet that shit takes more than a 40 minute demo to get used to so I can see the criticisms.
True, but are the criticisms regarding the awkward control scheme or does the gameplay itself feel awkward?

Shin-chan

True, but are the criticisms regarding the awkward control scheme or does the gameplay itself feel awkward?
Oh I have no doubt that the game will be a little awkward to control. You can see where the previewers are struggling at times, for example when trying to grab a lever.

But I don't think this is a big enough flaw that it will spoil the game for me.

With reference to the Bethesda comments a while ago in this or the Polygon thread, it's like how people can appreciate that their games have a lot to like about them despite having some awfully glaring issues that not just a few will experience in their time with them.

This seems to have more in common with those minimalist indie games than any Zelda game

It looks like a cinematic puzzle-platformer at its core. More akin to Inside than Zelda

Inside definitely had some heavy Ico influence, in the best way possible.

Wtf, i missed this thread and read the other one. Those are some great impressions. Can't wait for this game ! ICO was my favorite of the 2 so I feel confident I'll love this game too

You know, it's kind of working out - there's a ton of schadenfreude in the other thread, and it keeps it out of this thread where people actually interested or excited about the game can discuss it.The ratio of interest between the threads is both informative and disappointing, but such is the nature of the beast.

Sounds this will be a janky, buggy, and awkwardly controlling game that I will absolutely fall in love with.

Yup, it's almost like it's from a small developer who's only ever released very specific games with cult followings :b It was really only in the PS3 years that the games accrued the reputations they have now, and then that exploded in the 2015 re-unveiling. They were never AAA games, whatever the fuck that term means anymore. It's a fact fundamentally missed by concern-trolling articles like Polygon's (which surprises no one, and certainly doesn't need it's own thread). It's like raising "concerns" about the lack of polish in indie cinema - you are fundamentally missing the point.

well, I know they're primarily first person rpgs and not 3rd person platformers, but I'm pretty sure Skyrim and Fallout 4 had jump mapped to triangle.

It's honestly a little weird to me that people even felt the need to list this as a complaint. I mean yeah, it would take some getting used to, but is that really a bad thing? Is anything outside the norm just considered wrong now?

All the comments about Trico not paying attention all the time, and it being this "experience" interests me. I feel like this is either not so great AI, or really just him being programmed to not always listen. It's something I'll need to try for myself before I could decide, because all the preview comments made it sound really objective in that regard. Potentially sounds incredible though.

All the comments about Trico not paying attention all the time, and it being this "experience" interests me. I feel like this is either not so great AI, or really just him being programmed to not always listen. It's something I'll need to try for myself before I could decide, because all the preview comments made it sound really objective in that regard. Potentially sounds incredible though.
It sounds like an evolution of SoTC's Agro. Ueda was already playing around with an animal companion that doesn't always listen and does its own thing in that game

Elios83

I think that it was mentioned that Trico is supposed to behave that way, initially you have to get his attention, later in the game he'll try to help you more actively.

pixelation

I think this game will be polarizing based on these previews. I just hope people don't go in thinking "this better be good because 10 years!!"

If i remember correctly Ico and SotC didn't review that well when they released right?, i am expecting the same with TLG. The previews are pretty much describing a Team Ico game which is a very good thing for me.

ghibli99

Thanks for consolidating all of the impressions! I'm in. SOTC is my favorite PS2 game. ICO isn't far behind. If this is even half of what those games were, it will be worth it. What a rocky journey it's been... I can't believe it's nearly here.

GlamFM

Banned

Interesting:

It's difficult avoid feeling nostalgia after playing Ico and Shadow of the Colossus again after all these years, and while the core of each experience withstands the test of time, the control issues that were easy to overlook the first time around simply can't be ignored today.

Curufinwe

I may have to use the custom button config to put Jump on X.

GeoramA

The puzzles sound so good, especially when Trico's heavily involved with them. Sounds like you have to be very patient with him, which to me sounds awesome.

People who played Ico and Shadow of the Colossus already know the drill. Both games did not feel smooth to play at times, but I still enjoyed them a lot.

I explicitly said that The Last Guardian would satisfy Team Ico fans in the delay thread, and I really never doubted Ueda.

The game will be a hard sell in this current climate, especially to people who never played an Ueda game. I don't expect this game to be long, so that might make people wary of putting down $60.

Personally, I would still prioritize this game above most others, because I know that it will be a very memorable experience.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
In a way i think that's good because it tempers expectations. I'm sure the game will be good, but impossible to say right now if it will be 'great'.

The reason being is previews more often than not are very positive given the short window to play. I had the same arguments regarding the order 1886 where the previews were mostly mixed, some loved it and some were concerned. There's some excitement for sure in these previews, but there also seems to be quite a bit of tentativeness.

well, I know they're primarily first person rpgs and not 3rd person platformers, but I'm pretty sure Skyrim and Fallout 4 had jump mapped to triangle.

It's honestly a little weird to me that people even felt the need to list this as a complaint. I mean yeah, it would take some getting used to, but is that really a bad thing? Is anything outside the norm just considered wrong now?

Next Zelda is also like that.

Top Bottom