• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
To those pointing out that the AI ignore Ellie
are you sure there's no story justification for that? Because in the first couple hours you learn something about her that might explain why infected don't attack her at the very least.

Goes without saying if you haven't played, don't click.

thuway

One more thing-

I understand studios like DICE and Crytek have technical showpieces running on PC hardware.

However, TLOU has a marriage of art, tech, and assets like no other. It is the pure definition of "Best Graphics". Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful. The tech is fucking amazing, the art is astounding, and the sheer amount of assets is criminal.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
As you play this game I really recommend taking the time to thoroughly examine the environment. Not just because resources are scarce and you're going to need every damn bullet you can find, but because the amount of non-repetitive background detail is just staggering. There are whole stories told through incidental environmental detail that are both compelling and heartbreaking.

The_Monk

Fellow GAFfers, always click "Preview" to make sure your post is with the correct Spoiler Tags please.

I'm just saying this because of the above fellow GAFfer saying that he got the beginning spoiled. Thanks!

As you play this game I really recommend taking the time to thoroughly examine the environment. Not just because resources are scarce and you're going to need every damn bullet you can find, but because the amount of non-repetitive background detail is just staggering. There are whole stories told through incidental environmental detail that are both compelling and heartbreaking.

I love that kind of stuff. IMO Fallout 3 was the best at implied stories through stuff in the environment. How does TLOU compare?

Also:
How different is Survivor from Hard? Is it just less player health, more enemy damage or are there better equipped enemies, remixed enemies, less supplies, etc?

Lucent

Fellow GAFfers, always click "Preview" to make sure your post is with the correct Spoiler Tags please.

I'm just saying this because of the above fellow GAFfer saying that he got the beginning spoiled. Thanks!

You know, this makes me wonder why they couldn't somehow build a spoiler button into the editing tools like the quote button. It'd be really handy. Especially when people sometimes forget to include that / on the second part, which makes the tag useless. lol

iNvid02

i9J9MF6hZdrWv.gif

instead of running along the corridor and opening the doors to the wild they run into the OT lol

Amir0x

Banned

Oh man, storytelling through environmental detail is one of my favorite in-game storytelling techniques, a great way to utilize the advantage of videogames for such things!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oh man, storytelling through environmental detail is one of my favorite in-game storytelling techniques, a great way to utilize the advantage of videogames for such things!

Same here. It adds to the atmosphere and makes the world feel so much richer.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Also:
How different is Survivor from Hard? Is it just less player health, more enemy damage or are there better equipped enemies, remixed enemies, less supplies, etc?

Dunno. I'm not touching Survivor till I get better. This game is uber stressful as it is and the constant insta-kills don't help.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
How are some of you getting copies so early? Tell me!

I live in NYC, this shouldn't be hard.

Rhindle

It's hard though because the game is constantly pulling you forward. So you're often torn between lingering to take in the environment, and doing what the game wants you to do to maintain the narrative momentum.

Psykotik

PSN version preload seems to stop at 99.98%.

i guess the final .02% gets downloaded at midnight june 14th.

5 more days!

DTp.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
It's hard though because the game is constantly pulling you forward. So you're often torn between lingering to take in the environment, and doing what the game wants you to do to maintain the narrative momentum.

In all games I just hover back and scan the area no matter how much narrative momentum it breaks. Expect I'll choose to do the same here. No corner left unseen for me <:D

The_Monk

PSN version preload seems to stop at 99.98%.

i guess the final .02% gets downloaded at midnight june 14th.

5 more days!

DTp.jpg

Oh so you can pre-load it? I did not knew that! Going to pre-order after Sony's E3, can't wait! Meanwhile I need to free some space first.

24GB, right?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I can't wait to find out where Ellie got the scar over her right eye. Druckmann said that will be explained in the game.

In all games I just hover back and scan the area no matter how much narrative momentum it breaks. Expect I'll choose to do the same here. No corner left unseen for me <:D

Didn't it take you like 40 hours or some silly amount of time to beat Bioshock Infinite playing like that

Amir0x

Banned
Didn't it take you like 40 hours or some silly amount of time to beat Bioshock Infinite playing like that

My STEAM playtime says 79 hours played, although you can knock like 20 hours of that me just being in pause mode.

I adore great artistic direction, so I'll sniff around an area until I see everything it has to offer.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Me too. I actually like it when games have optional toggles for objective points so I can use those to go in every other direction first before progressing.

iNvid02

i hate it when there is dialogue but its interrupted the moment you reach the invisible marker triggering a cutscene

will travel like a snail just to be safe

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
My STEAM playtime says 79 hours played, although you can knock like 20 hours of that me just being in pause mode.

I adore great artistic direction, so I'll sniff around an area until I see everything it has to offer.

You started the game and went to bed or what? ...damn i like to take my time with a game but even if you knock 20 hours of that it's still pretty damn long.

Lucent

i hate it when there is dialogue but its interrupted the moment you reach the invisible marker triggering a cutscene

will travel like a snail just to be safe

Yeah this. Happens a lot in games like Sleeping Dogs, GTA, and Saints Row I noticed. Having conversations while driving and you basically gotta slow down or just chill til you know they're done talking.

Well, that would be the game to do it in. Me, my biggest complaint about that game was how much time the game expected me to go around clicking on shit away from the story and the action. "Well, that was a fun fight. Time to sweep every single room for possible upgrades and shiny stuff". I mean, you COULD ignore a lot of it, but then you'd be effectively locked out of most of the upgrades you'd want to play and experiment with, especially on Hard. You feel like you're playing as a virtual maid sometimes.

Majmun

I love that in games.

I also experienced Shadow of the Colossus as some sort of virtual vacation. Looking at and examining the environments at sloth pace and taking in the atmoshpere.

My friend that was watching me play was going nuts. "JUST FUCKING CONTINUE!!!!"

But I will keep doing this. Feed me with great art- snd level design, devs. I shall lap it up and pay attention to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom