• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (Japan) |OT| The Gooch's Final (?) Fantasy

desu

thefro said:
I don't feel qualified to say that (since I'm only halfway through and don't understand Japanese), but I from what I've played so far it's the best game on Wii besides Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2.

I am at the middle as well.

For me the game is good (I was damn hyped for it), but I I can't deny that I played Xenoblade last year. Both games kinda feel different so I guess it depends on what you like more. If had to had to rate it right now it would probably be a 7-8.

The camera in the game is often pretty horrible and annoying, the game is way too easy, exploration is kept to a minimum, there arent enough memorable places and due to the color palett everything looks the same, enemy variety is pretty low, no quest logs, cant judge the plot but from what my gf told me things are way too obvious.

It just feels like they need at least another game to iron out everything. The game right now has tons of potential, lots of very awesome features that make the game really really fun to play. But at the moment I would place Xenoblade(the scale of the world and how the game was designed probably plays a really big role for me) quite a step over this .

Bebpo

Banned
The hyperbole in this thread is getting a bit ridiculous. People are going to be very disappointed when they get the game if they go in expecting one of the best games on Wii. Maybe it's one of the best games if your entire Wii library is Metroid Other M & Imagine Petz.

I mean, the game is better than Star Ocean 4, Eternal Sonata, Infinite Undiscovery, yes. Even FFXIII is debatable, it's better in some aspects, worse in others. The Last Story definitely not a trash game. But a great game...ehhhh, go play Xenoblade.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Bebpo said:
The hyperbole in this thread is getting a bit ridiculous. People are going to be very disappointed when they get the game if they go in expecting one of the best games on Wii. Maybe it's one of the best games if your entire Wii library is Metroid Other M & Imagine Petz.

I mean, the game is better than Star Ocean 4, Eternal Sonata, Infinite Undiscovery, yes. Even FFXIII is debatable, it's better in some aspects, worse in others. The Last Story definitely not a trash game. But a great game...ehhhh, go play Xenoblade.

SMH

Waiting on the Bepbo flop.

I am loving this game so far.

Bebpo said:

Wonderful.

And to think I actually was interested in this game.

Diffense

It seems that if you place a high priority on exploration and 'seeing the world' Xenoblade would be the better game.
OTOH, I know people who don't like running around huge game worlds and prefer more focused progression.
From what I've seen last story is a bit of a mix with focused quests and the more open and explorable Ruli City hub.
I am one who likes huge, interesting, explorable worlds but I think I'd enjoy TLS and Ruli City.

Bebpo

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Wonderful.

And to think I actually was interested in this game.

You should be interested in the game, it's a good game. Like desu and adversesolutions I'd say an 8/10 is fair. It's just not some omg killer app or anything so keep your expectations in check.

sprsk said:
SMH

Waiting on the Bepbo flop.

I am loving this game so far.

I'm at the final boss rush, I don't really see my opinion changing :p

Are you playing multi or SP? I'm not planning on touching the MP ever, just playing it for the single player rpg experience, which frankly is just average.

Eteric Rice

Didn't Mistwalker ask for suggestions on Twitter recently?

If you guys feel that some things could have been done better, I'd say suggest stuff to them. After all, they asked. >_>

Wazzim

Banned
Bebpo said:

Hmm, I really like that game..Last Story better come here fast if it´s better than that.

wsippel

Banned
Bebpo said:
You should be interested in the game, it's a good game. Like desu and adversesolutions I'd say an 8/10 is fair. It's just not some omg killer app or anything so keep your expectations in check.
I agree. While I stand by my statement that this is one of the best RPGs of this generation, that's not really saying much in itself. It's good, well paced, does many things right, the battle system is fresh and feels great, and I really enjoy it so far, but it's no Xenoblade.

Bebpo said:

Are you playing multi or SP? I'm not planning on touching the MP ever, just playing it for the single player rpg experience, which frankly is just average.

You should give the boss raid mode at least one try. The bosses might be the same from the story but some of them have different forms and attacks. I had a surprisingly good time. The Vs. Battle mode on the other hand doesn't sound appealing to me at all, though =/ I'll try it out, however.

-Oath

Im at the final stretch of the game. Really enjoyed it, definitely one of my favorite games this gen. Level design couldve been a bit better, difficulty couldve been fine tuned and it couldve been a bit longer but w/e, awesome for what it was.

Enjoyed Xenoblade more though :p

Id give it a 9/10.

EDarkness

Bebpo said:

I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. Love the combat, story is good, and the characters are at least interesting. I've played a ton of online Raiding with the only wish that they add more bosses at some point. Xenoblade is good, too. No reason why people can't enjoy both, but you do have to go into The Last Story as if it's an action RPG, otherwise I can see people getting disappointed. Considering that I really enjoy action RPGs, this game is right up my alley. Looks like I'll have it beat in the next day or so. Just taking my time currently and doing a lot of online raiding.

As I said, my only real gripe is that there are no motions at all. That's just crazy considering the system it's on, and a few places really could have used it, especially using the crossbow. IR should have been a must and I hope that if they bring this over, they add it in. I would pay for the game again just to have that option.

desu

Nobody playing anymore? So quite here. Anyway made it to chapter 30 today and took a few screens again.

From todays play:

Bebpo

Banned
Unfortunately I don't have time to game on the weekdays atm. Marathoned the first 34 chapters over 2 days last weekend and plan on doing the remaining
five + epilogue
on Saturday.

thefro

desu said:
Nobody playing anymore? So quite here. Anyway made it to chapter 30 today and took a few screens again.

Busy working, so I'll probably be picking off a chapter or two a day until the weekend.

We really do need to set a time to have gaffers play the online MP together though.

-Oath

Beat it. Im tired so Ill just say the game was a great attempt at something new but it falls short of being an AAA title. The low difficulty and battlesystem that isnt quite as strategic as Sakaguchi led on brings the game down a few notches.
That said, I greatly enjoyed it. I really hope Mistwalker is at work on a sequel.

Cruceh

Banned

farnham

Banned
oh wow the town is really impressive

its almost as well made as assassins creed imo

sure the graphics arent as detailed as assassins creed but for a jrpg its definately one of the best out there.

farnham

Banned
this game is really great. but already chapter 5 after like 2 hours ? time really flies when playing this game and that is really rare these days with jrpgs

props to the gooch.

does this game run well on dolphin? My Wii has been on its last legs for a while. Seems like the disc drive has been deteriorating for a few months now. ALways gets really load and makes cutscenes jerky in game.

I couldn't get Xenoblade to run worth a shit on Dolphin btw. Computer isn't a complete beast by any means so that might be the problem.

I wanna get it but not if my wii is gonna die soon after....

farnham

Banned
BudokaiMR2 said:
does this game run well on dolphin? My Wii has been on its last legs for a while. Seems like the disc drive has been deteriorating for a few months now. ALways gets really load and makes cutscenes jerky in game.

I couldn't get Xenoblade to run worth a shit on Dolphin btw. Computer isn't a complete beast by any means so that might be the problem.

I wanna get it but not if my wii is gonna die soon after....
why dont you get a new hard drive from nintendo then ?

shouldnt cost that much even if you are not under warranty anymore (i think it costs 75 euros.)

thefro

-Oath said:
Beat it. Im tired so Ill just say the game was a great attempt at something new but it falls short of being an AAA title. The low difficulty and battlesystem that isnt quite as strategic as Sakaguchi led on brings the game down a few notches.
That said, I greatly enjoyed it. I really hope Mistwalker is at work on a sequel.

I'm on Chapter 23 now and I will say the difficulty does pick up a bit starting with Chapter 15. It really does seem to be balanced for a JRPG player who's never played action games before.

I have died a few times, which is more than I can say for Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

Like I said, I've already let Mistwalker know that a "hard" option, where the number of LIFE is reduced to 2 or 3 instead of 5 would be nice for worldwide release.

-Oath

thefro said:
Like I said, I've already let Mistwalker know that a "hard" option, where the number of LIFE is reduced to 2 or 3 instead of 5 would be nice for worldwide release.
Nice, good suggestion.
Yeah, the last few battles are where the difficulty took a leap up for me but it still wasnt quite enough. Got my only 3 battle related gameovers on the last fight.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
thefro said:
I'm on Chapter 23 now and I will say the difficulty does pick up a bit starting with Chapter 15. It really does seem to be balanced for a JRPG player who's never played action games before.

I have died a few times, which is more than I can say for Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

Is there some kind of contact where we can write in english to get behind an "hard mode" for a possible worldwide release?

I'm only at the beginning really, we just went on to an island for Manamia to investigate I dunno if anything from this point is really a spoiler, but I'll leave it as vague as that. I'm fairly impressed. I think this easily outclasses the other two Mistwalker console RPGs. I didn't love either, and prefer Blue Dragon, so take that in whatever way you'd like I guess.

It's just a bunch of fun to play so far. I'm not a huge fan of action RPGs in general, but this works for me. It is as ugly as sin though. I'm not talking art direction, I love that. It's simply that it's a Wii game I guess. I knew that going in obviously. Still, it's blurry and low rez with HUGE frame rate issues. I didn't think I noticed that sort of thing but this game stutters non stop, or at least it has so far. Not a deal breaker to me, but I see it being one for some.

I still haven't played Xenoblade, now that I've got a Japanese Wii it's next on my list, but this is one of the best JRPGs I've played on console this gen. (How's that for a qualifying statement) As ugly as it is, it feels modern and thought out. I don't want to over sell this. At this early point the story isn't blowing me away, but it's not annoying me either. People are going to get really upset about the graphical problems, but otherwise it's fun and fluid. Simple, a little easy, but interesting.

farnham

Banned
chicken_ramen said:
I'm only at the beginning really, we just went on to an island for Manamia to investigate I dunno if anything from this point is really a spoiler, but I'll leave it as vague as that. I'm fairly impressed. I think this easily outclasses the other two Mistwalker console RPGs. I didn't love either, and prefer Blue Dragon, so take that in whatever way you'd like I guess.

It's just a bunch of fun to play so far. I'm not a huge fan of action RPGs in general, but this works for me. It is as ugly as sin though. I'm not talking art direction, I love that. It's simply that it's a Wii game I guess. I knew that going in obviously. Still, it's blurry and low rez with HUGE frame rate issues. I didn't think I noticed that sort of thing but this game stutters non stop, or at least it has so far. Not a deal breaker to me, but I see it being one for some.

I still haven't played Xenoblade, now that I've got a Japanese Wii it's next on my list, but this is one of the best JRPGs I've played on console this gen. (How's that for a qualifying statement) As ugly as it is, it feels modern and thought out. I don't want to over sell this. At this early point the story isn't blowing me away, but it's not annoying me either. People are going to get really upset about the graphical problems, but otherwise it's fun and fluid. Simple, a little easy, but interesting.
interesting

i think the graphics are the main strongpoint of this game. they are very detailed and pretty for a wii game imo. i dont recall seeing a game on wii that has similar graphics

farnham said:
interesting

i think the graphics are the main strongpoint of this game. they are very detailed and pretty for a wii game imo. i dont recall seeing a game on wii that has similar graphics

Me too. I think the graphics look great. One of the best looking games on the Wii.

desu

Finished the game today, its 8/10 for me, havent tried online yet but it could bring the game to 9/10. Had a lot of fun but some parts of the game annoyed me as well.

thefro

chicken_ramen said:
It is as ugly as sin though. I'm not talking art direction, I love that. It's simply that it's a Wii game I guess. I knew that going in obviously. Still, it's blurry and low rez with HUGE frame rate issues. I didn't think I noticed that sort of thing but this game stutters non stop, or at least it has so far. Not a deal breaker to me, but I see it being one for some.

There's some slowdown when there's a whole bunch of enemies on the scene and a few areas where the framerate drops a smidge, but I wouldn't call it "ugly as sin".

It's a bit inconsistent, but it's definitely still one of the better looking games on the Wii. There's some really nice usage of HDR lighting that I don't recall seeing in other games on the console. The youtube videos don't really do justice to how it actually looks on a TV.

A big strength and weaknesses of the game is most of the cutscenes being in-game. People who want uber-realistic CG smoke and mirrors like FFvs13 are going to be disappointed.

Captain N

desu said:
Finished the game today, its 8/10 for me, havent tried online yet but it could bring the game to 9/10. Had a lot of fun but some parts of the game annoyed me as well.

Does the game allow you to take screen shots or did you use a capture card?

Top Bottom