• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Legacy (3DS) announced [JRPG, SaGa & ex-S-E staff, MASASHI HAMAUZU]

Zhao_Yun

What in the world are this industry's best working artist and composer doing on a no name RPG by a garbage developer like Furyu?

The scan and info really does make it seem like SaGa in everything but name, I hope hope hope this developer found a way to make a good game.

Hamauzu has a legacy of composing great OSTs for bad games (Unlimited Saga anyone?)

Dascu

Alright, cool. A decent-looking classic JRPG, no lolicon or moe trash in sight, made by competent developers.

Here's hoping for a localization.

duckroll

I'm gonna be so depressed when this game turns out to be terrible.

I guess it'll depend on what sort of JRPG game design you refer. If Hiroyuki Ito is the father of Final Fantasy gameplay systems, then Kyoji Koizumi is the father of SaGa gameplay systems.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I guess it'll depend on what sort of JRPG game design you refer. If Hiroyuki Ito is the father of Final Fantasy gameplay systems, then Kyoji Koizumi is the father of SaGa gameplay systems.

I'm well aware of the listed contributors and their pedigree, I just don't have much faith in companies like FuRyu or imageepoch that manage to attract lots of talent but still struggle to put out anything interesting.

duckroll

I'm well aware of the listed contributors and their pedigree, I just don't have much faith in companies like FuRyu or imageepoch that manage to attract lots of talent but still struggle to put out anything interesting.

But Niinou's Imageepoch games were good. Lack of polish and budget, but they were still fun and had good fundamental design.

@MUWANdo

Banned
But Niinou's Imageepoch games were good. Lack of polish and budget, but they were still fun and had good fundamental design.

7th Dragon is okay but that Criminal Girls horseshit is just embarrassing and all the other imageepoch games I've played (Arc Rise Fantasia, Luminous Arc, Sands of Destruction... was that them? I forget) ranged from mediocre to flat-out terrible.

As for FuRyu, I've not played any of their games as we PAL-landians weren't deigned worthy to play Unchained Blades, but very few people seem to have anything positive to say about them, and it seems that the director on this project is a FuRyu guy? I don't recognise the name, at least.

Then again, the line between a good SaGa game and a bad one is pretty thin to begin with, and there isn't enough info to safely suggest that it'll even inherit any of the Kawazu-isms that people associate with that series, so...

EDIT: turns out imageepoch worked on Yoshi's New Island. A match made in heaven!

duckroll

7th Dragon is okay but that Criminal Girls horseshit is just embarrassing and all the other imageepoch games I've played (Arc Rise Fantasia, Luminous Arc, Sands of Destruction... was that them? I forget) ranged from mediocre to flat-out terrible.

I liked both 7th Dragon and Last Ranker. They were also the main games Niinou directed there. Last Ranker also has much higher production values and polish than the average Imageepoch game because of Capcom's influence. Turned out pretty well. I agree that a lot of Imageepoch games are garbage because they have poor quality control, but I'm just pointing out that when you actually put together good people who know how to design a game at a studio which doesn't give a shit, the results will probably still improve.

L~A

Yeah, having great people on board doesn't mean the game will automatically be good, but in the case, I think we can be cautiously optimistic.

Plenty of months until release, so it's a bit early to make any judgement (positive or negative) for now. It's certainly an intriguing project.

Highwind

imageepoch developed Sands of Destruction?

Lmao it all makes sense now...one of the worst rpgs I've ever played. Flat out quit it because I couldn't stand it anymore.

Director: Masataka Matsura
Image Illustration: Tomomi Kobayashi (SaGa franchise character illustrator)
Game Design: Kyoji Koizumi (SaGa franchise battle designer)
Character Design: Ryo Hirao
Background Art: Misako Tsutsui (ex-S-E background artist)
Monster Design: Yuichiro Kojima (ex-S-E texture artist), Ryoji Shimogama (ex-S-E creature designer)
Composer: Masashi Hamauzu (I hear he makes good music)
Sound Editor: Kenichi Saito
Text Direction: Masato Kato (wrote for Chrono Trigger and Xenogears, wrote and directed Chrono Cross)
Narration: Emiko Shiratori
Title Logo Design: Tadahiko Kawaguchi
Movie Design: Shuhei Yamagata

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201409/23062073.html

cljZ7Kr.jpg

r3RIsxC.jpg

Interested....but this is not getting localized...right? :(

Thoraxes

How the fuck did I miss this!

Holy shit! Need the OST in my veins yesterday! Praise Hamauzu, greatest composer of all of our lifetimes!

redcrayon

Looks good, count me interested, although I doubt we'll see it in the EU

3DS graphical foot deformity syndrome continues, it's a highly infectious malady, ruining the lives of heroes across multiple universes! :D

Tom_Cody

This looks visually indistinguishable from Bravely Default; was Bravely Default really popular enough to inspire copycats?

Visual quirk aside, this looks like one to watch. I hope it comes to the states but, more than that, I hope it is good.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I liked both 7th Dragon and Last Ranker. They were also the main games Niinou directed there. Last Ranker also has much higher production values and polish than the average Imageepoch game because of Capcom's influence. Turned out pretty well. I agree that a lot of Imageepoch games are garbage because they have poor quality control, but I'm just pointing out that when you actually put together good people who know how to design a game at a studio which doesn't give a shit, the results will probably still improve.

I'm starting to think the publisher might have as much to do with the quality of those games as anything else. Still, I take your point.

Either way, this game does make me wonder what Kawazu and co. are putting together right now, seeing as all these key players presumably won't be around to help him out.

Interested....but this is not getting localized...right? :(

If what was said about Unchained Blades is true then I guess XSEED probably won't do it, but there's still hope, right? I mean, even Atlus has localised some weird DS stuff, like Code of Princess and Conception II, so it's not inconceivable that someone might bring this game over if it turns out okay.

L~A

Whether this gets localised will probably depends on whether the game is great or not, if fans are demanding a localisation, if there's someone from one of the JRPG publishers in NA who's interested to push for localisation internally, and more.

But who knows. Weirder games have been localised in the past.

duckroll

Either way, this game does make me wonder what Kawazu and co. are putting together right now, seeing as all these key players presumably won't be around to help him out.

More f2p mobile garbage maybe. It's not like he has a real team anymore anyway.

sörine

Banned
So on 3DS we have Not Final Fantasy (Bravely Default) and now Not SaGa (Legend of Legacy). That means Not Seiken Densetsu is up next right?

Busaiku

I mean if it's received well in Japan, I can see it localized.
I don't think anyone asked for Unchained Blade after seeing how it turned out.

Shizuka

I mean if it's received well in Japan, I can see it localized.
I don't think anyone asked for Unchained Blade after seeing how it turned out.

It was an okay game, but during a time where there were plenty of better games to get localized.

elhav

The Legend of Legacy of secret of chronicles: Revelations.

When you can't come up with a good name and start spouting generic titles.

MilkBeard

Damn, that Concept art. Givin me SaGa vibes.

I'd love for this game to be good. I'd love it even more if it was localized. Maybe, maybe not.

duckroll

sörine;131309516 said:
So on 3DS we have Not Final Fantasy (Bravely Default) and now Not SaGa (Legend of Legacy). That means Not Seiken Densetsu is up next right?

If Grezzo and Brownies are interested in working together on it, sure. They don't seem very ambitious though.

I'm astonished at how many people are complaining about the name, when we had a worse name (i.e. Bravely Default) attached at a pretty good game just recently on 3DS :p

When I was scrolling through the top post, the transition from the Tomomi Kobayashi art to the candy-colored Saturday morning screenshots gave me whiplash. Really not a fan of the bland aesthetic (are we not past the idea that portables are for children?), but given who's involved here, I'll hold out hope.

@MUWANdo

Banned
When I was scrolling through the top post, the transition from the Tomomi Kobayashi art to the candy-colored Saturday morning screenshots gave me whiplash. Really not a fan of the bland aesthetic (are we not past the idea that portables are for children?), but given who's involved here, I'll hold out hope.

Chibi character models aren't strictly a "childish" thing, more a low-resolution thing.

Nairume

Banned
As for FuRyu, I've not played any of their games as we PAL-landians weren't deigned worthy to play Unchained Blades, but very few people seem to have anything positive to say about them, and it seems that the director on this project is a FuRyu guy? I don't recognise the name, at least.
Unchained Blades is *almost* a good game and just largely suffers from being maybe a little too busy with gameplay systems. It's not bad though and I imagine Legend of Legacy might turn out better with the right guidance keeping them in check.

Wow, it really is a new SaGa with a different name! I hope they localize it. They have to.

Now I won't be completely disappointed if the actual new SaGa title will be another mobile game.

Top Bottom