• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

watershed

Banned
I'm simply amazed by how many creative ideas are in this game. It is full of surprises and inventive new takes on Zelda tropes and mechanics. I feel like every player will have a different story to tell about their time with BOTW.

MTC100

Banned
At what metacritic score do you guys think the meltdowns would begin? 89 and under?

I guess the meltdown would begin at 96% and higher, I mean it was already melting when Edge gave a 10/10 and Famitsu did the same, can't imagine the chaos if 96+ would be the metascore :D

Myriadis

BTW, 16 hours to go here. The wait while the game and patch download is going to be rough, I hope it´s not more than an hour...

WiiU owner here, I already got the game yesterday and I can tell you from my experience, I played a new vinyl I bought the same day (Fripp and Eno's "No pussyfooting") while it was doing the update and it didn't even reach the end of the first vinyl side. So def less than 20 minutes.
Or is there a day one patch I'm not aware of?

And for these waiting for the game, I'm at work now and want to go home just to play the game

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm really not into the whole metacritic keeping score thing and following the numbers so religiously. Whatever it gets, it gets.

guek

Banned
I'm really not into the whole metacritic keeping score thing and following the numbers so religiously. Whatever it gets, it gets.
raw

Nezumi

I'm soo hyped!! Haven't been able to do anything remotely productive for the last two days. I can't really remember the last time I was so hyped for a game. MC prediction is a super optimistic 95 :)

takriel

Needless to say, I'm going to be reading the "negative" reviews really carefully to decide who has valid criticism versus who just has bad taste in video games and/or is trolling.

Gotta play this smart.
c3drokwukaafty0-large.jpg

Batshit prediction ahead! You have been warned.
If Edge gave the game a 10, we look at the MT scores of all the previous 10 out of 10 score given by EDGE.

So far I got between 98, 97, 92, 96, 97, 94, 93, 96, 95, 90, 91, 93, 97 and 95. So between 90 and 99. So that means the game will definitely be the high 90s.

Now we take out the Zelda scores, Ocarina with a 99 and Skyward with a 93.
We can get an average of 96.

This is a good place to stop but given how harder these critics have gotten to pleased, specially when Bloodborne is sitting with a 92. We can remove a point and it's now at 95.

Surprisingly Skyward Sword, with all it's problems (personal opinion) managed a 93. Obviously, Breath is already looking like the better game so a score higher than 93 is to expected.

So it all comes down to somewhere between 94 to 96. I will play it safe and go for a safe and final prediction of 95MC.

Nanashrew

Banned
It's a number to predict. It's sort of fun isn't it?

I just think people get carried away with it after their predictions to sometimes an unhealthy degree. Horizon review thread was just recent and was crazy with people closely monitoring the metacritic score and I can easily see the same happening in the BotW thread.

correojon

WiiU owner here, I already got the game yesterday and I can tell you from my experience, I played a new vinyl I bought the same day (Fripp and Eno's "No pussyfooting") while it was doing the update and it didn't even reach the end of the first vinyl side. So def less than 20 minutes.
Or is there a day one patch I'm not aware of?

And for these waiting for the game, I'm at work now and want to go home just to play the game

Thanks! I´ll be buying it digitally, so I´ll have to download the whole game (14GB) + the update (1-2GB). WiiU games usually download pretty fast, I think even Xenoblade X took less than an hour so if everything goes well I´m expecting a around 45 minutes for everything. And yeah, I´m talking about the update, there´s no day-one patch that I know of.

AniHawk

yeah gonna get some sleep. got a flight tomorrow. expecting the same as always from review threads for major titles - lots of 10/10 'best game ever' hyperbole at the start, with one 7/10 or 3/5 in the middle to make people think it was done for attention/clicks, and complaining about the metascore. except this time there's the added bonus of a similar game that's pretty awesome apparently, also having just released. this is like if 2011's skyward sword / uncharted 3 and 2006's twilight princess / okami had a baby. an ugly, loud baby.

Cuburt

I guess the meltdown would begin at 96% and higher, I mean it was already melting when Edge gave a 10/10 and Famitsu did the same, can't imagine the chaos if 96+ would be the metascore :D

This is the real meltdown watch.

We already know it's going to be well received, it's more a case of how high will it actually go and how much people will latch on to the negative reviews.

If we've seen anything about massively hyped game meltdowns, it's not over the general metacritic score, it's about the handful of lukewarm scores.

Still relevant.

_Clash_

I just think people get carried away with it after their predictions to sometimes an unhealthy degree. Horizon review thread was just recent and was crazy with people closely monitoring the metacritic score and I can easily see the same happening in the BotW thread.

I don't think it's going to be a problem *AS* big with BoTW.

It's the magic 90 that gets obsessed over.

I kind of expect the review thread to be a celebration

ReyVGM

Ordered it in hopes of it being real. I'm assuming both the master and special edition are very limited in number?

Master has never been in stock again after the initial batch, but SE has been restocked several times. That walmart link has been active for over 8 hours now, so walmart must have received new stock or something.

guit3457

yeah gonna get some sleep. got a flight tomorrow. expecting the same as always from review threads for major titles - lots of 10/10 'best game ever' hyperbole at the start, with one 7/10 or 3/5 in the middle to make people think it was done for attention/clicks, and complaining about the metascore. except this time there's the added bonus of a similar game that's pretty awesome apparently, also having just released. this is like if 2011's skyward sword / uncharted 3 and 2006's twilight princess / okami had a baby. an ugly, loud baby.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Gotta play this smart.

c3drokwukaafty0-large.jpg

Can't get banned for spoilers if you get banned for something else.

(I don't know what he was banned for)

I predict MC score to be... high.

skypunch

Banned
I think this game is going to change our standards in the open world genre.

Maybe yours, but not mine. Apart from the physics system which is completely separate system to the open world, there isn't anything special about the open world in this game that puts it over something like Xenoblade X.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to buy the game because it looks a bit comfy in places, but you need to calm down.

Top Bottom