• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

SRTtoZ

I was listening to the Easy Allies podcast and they were saying it felt unfinished but not in the MGSV way, I wonder if thats true and if the reviews will reflect that. I'm hoping for 90+ but if its a good game I'm cool with that regardless of scores.

takriel

Maybe yours, but not mine. Apart from the physics system which is completely separate system to the open world, there isn't anything special about the open world in this game that puts it over something like Xenoblade X.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to buy the game because it looks a bit comfy in places, but you need to calm down.
You might want to keep out of the review thread with that attitude...

Speely

Banned
Yeah, the physics system implemented in an open world has nothing to do with the open world aspect of the game. Physics systems already exist in all kinds of non-open world games.

The open world is made up of terrain, objects, and enemies that the physics system affects heavily. That's the whole point. Everything from traversal to combat is part of the physics system. If this took place in a directed, linear world, there would be very little chance for emergent gameplay. That it takes place in an open world increases the kinds of gameplay arising from the physics system by orders of magnitude.

Maybe yours, but not mine. Apart from the physics system which is completely separate system to the open world, there isn't anything special about the open world in this game that puts it over something like Xenoblade X.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to buy the game because it looks a bit comfy in places, but you need to calm down.

From what i've seen the freedom and interactivity is unprecedented.
This might be the first open worlf game were 90% of the world arent simply pretty facades but have actual purpose beyond just creating an environment.

How can you still be doubting Nintendos absolute insanity when they get motivated like they are now?!?! In 2017?!?!

So silly 🙄

To be fair I'm hoping this will revitalise open world games for me a little. I have felt really burned out on these huge, sprawling vistas which have little discernible character.

Witcher 3's world was probably the best thing about it (as much as I found that game fairly boring), just a lot of variety

BeeDog

This might be the first open worlf game were 90% of the world arent simply pretty facades but have actual purpose beyond just creating an environment.

I'm someone that will most likely never get a Switch (or get to play on one) but is supremely interested in this game. So I'm honestly asking, can you give some examples on what you mean by this comment? What does this game do from an open-world perspective that's unprecedented?

I have the game and I've been playing it for a few hours.

Every other open world game is going to be compared to this game from now on.

The interactivity between every little thing in the open world is insane. The best part is how natural everything is. It never feels scripted.

Xenoblade seems archaic compared to this game.

AddiF

My prediction for Gamexplain video review:

Not 1, not 2, not 3... multiple hours!

abc10780c22a9c659c841c616440271a2f5c2fd78c1ada880b8031ef6e3ce616.jpg

skypunch

Banned
I'm someone that will most likely never get a Switch (or get to play on one) but is supremely interested in this game. So I'm honestly asking, can you give some examples on what you mean by this comment? What does this game do from an open-world perspective that's unprecedented?

You can kill things in different ways.

That's literally it.

Nothing about this actually unprecedented on individual aspects, but nothing I've ever seen has ever brought together so many ideas in volume and depth quite like this game has. Frankly, it seems like a pure marvel of game design.

Systems that are already in open world games like The Witcher 3.

All the systems in BotW have been taken from other open world/RPG games.

And to that I say good, take from other games and combine them and handle them better. I think Alchemy in Witcher 3 was a step in the right direction for an open world, but I think the more flexible nature of BoTWs system where base item properties interact seems far more interesting to actually learn.

LotusHD

Banned

Freedom wise, you just go out into the big world almost immediately. You can go straight to the boss and try and fight him, or you can take your time, enjoy the sights, maybe go to a dungeon or two, explore some shrines, find some villages. There's nothing that forces you along a predestined path.

As for the interactivity, that's the real highlight. Basically more or less, if you think you can do it, you probably can. Shoot an arrow through a fire and it'll be set aflame. Want to cross a river? You cut down a tree, or you climb on top of a higher ledge and paraglide over it. Want to set the grass on fire and create an updrift? You can do that too.

On the surface, these things doesn't sound particularly revolutionary. At the very least, it's much better for you to see it yourself, as videos do a better job of explaining than we ever could. But the main thing is that with other games, they would have stuff like that in small doses. BoTW claims to have all of that interactivity envelop its entire massive world, including its dungeons and shrines. That's pretty much it, the fact that they implemented all of it onto an open world.

Well, it kinda hit me when i was playing Horizon the other day.
I came across small herdes of machines and spotted stacks of logs conveniently placed somewhere. So you startle the herde, shoot the stack, machines get rekt.
Nice, but it seemed so scripted and constructed.

When i watched Zelda gameplay the physics based combat seemed way more organic.
The game introduces you to the concept the same way as i described it in Horizon (just with a boulder) but then it goes way further.
With the physics charge ability for example.

It just seems like a coherent systems driven game where nothing has to be designed or scripted. The laws of the game world are already enough.

Of course i havent played the game yet. Thats just my impression from what ive seen so far.

Greddleok

Has there been any mention of how it plays on the WiiU? I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times, but I can't for the life of me find it in the thread.

Osahi

Everyone busy playing BotW? lol

Don't know how it is in the US or other countries, but in Belgium I only have received a copy of BotW as of yet. So there wasn't much to review besides this. Could have something to do with the eShop not being open yet (they tend to send copies digitally these days).

This is only my situation ofcourse, I don't know if collegues of mine did get hard copies of other stuff, or went to the Nintendo offices to test some other games there.

Nanashrew

Banned
Freedom wise, you just go out into the big world almost immediately. You can go straight to the boss and try and fight him, or you can take your time, enjoy the sights, maybe go to a dungeon or two, explore some shrines, find some villages. There's nothing that forces you along a predestined path.

As for the interactivity, that's the real highlight. Basically more or less, if you think you can do it, you probably can. Shoot an arrow through a fire and it'll be set aflame. Want to cross a river? You cut down a tree, or you climb on top of a higher ledge and paraglide over it. Want to set the grass on fire and create an updrift? You can do that too.

On the surface, these things doesn't sound particularly revolutionary. At the very least, it's much better for you to see it yourself, as videos do a better job of explaining than we ever could. But the main thing is that with other games, they would have stuff like that in small doses. BoTW claims to have all of that interactivity envelop its entire massive world, including its dungeons and shrines. That's pretty much it, the fact that they implemented all of it onto an open world.

To add, if you don't have an area to climb higher but see a rock and a large 2x4 you can make a see saw and stand on it. Then drop something heavy on the other end and fly up and cross an area with your paraglider.

Lots of ways to get creative with your surroundings.

Top Bottom