• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

ncslamm

So did anybody else buy up a bunch of Zelda merchandise? So far I've bought Hyrule Historia and Arts&Artifacts. I've got the special edition, standard edition, standard strategy guide, collector's strategy guide, and deluxe strategy guide on preorder.

I only have the standard edition game preordered as a back up. As for the guides I'll probably keep them on the book case for a while. I won't use any of them until I've played through the game at least once. I feel like I'm going overboard but I know there's others out there doing the same thing as me.

So did anybody else buy up a bunch of Zelda merchandise? So far I've bought Hyrule Historia and Arts&Artifacts. I've got the special edition, standard edition, standard strategy guide, collector's strategy guide, and deluxe strategy guide on preorder.

I only have the standard edition game preordered as a back up. As for the guides I'll probably keep them on the book case for a while. I won't use any of them until I've played through the game at least once. I feel like I'm going overboard but I know there's others out there doing the same thing as me.

Jesus christ man.

I guess I bought Arts&Artifacts and the Link Nendoroid DX version.

I have both Dark Horse books, pre-ordered the deluxe strat guide (I won't use it; I literally bought it because ZELDA) aaaaaand I'm planning to get the Amiibos if possible, but not all of them.

The Digital Chump videos have miniature Stone Talus' enemies which can apparently be picked up by other enemies like Lizalfos. They're also really cute for some reason especially how they quickly waddle towards link to punch him.

I'm glad this game (seemingly) proves that when it comes to game design, Nintendo is still top dog. There are tons of great developers/studios, and a lot that are better at certain things than Nintendo, but man they just make fun stuff.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

3 of the new amiibos, CE of the game, normal edition of the guide.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
No such thing when everything they talking about is from the preview videos. You should be glad they spoiler tagged it

There are a good bit of spoilers about stuff that is NDA'd

I find it kinda fucked up that people are drawing attention to that information.

ReyVGM

Can somebody PLEASE help me understand something...

The television I want to hook up my switch to has a 1366 x 768 resolution, and I know it supports 720p and 1080i.

On this television, will I be able to to play Zelda at 900p?

Or if not and I have to select between 720p or 1080i mode, which should I choose?

I don't need to tell you that you really need to upgrade your TV!

If the TV is 1366 x 768, how can it support 1080i? Either you are mistaken or the TV specs is lying to you. 1366x768 is is sub-HD, 1920x1080 is full HD. Zelda's 1600x900 res is higher than your TV's max resolution.
The game should adjust fine on your TV, it will just not be optimal. I assume the Switch will have a downscaler to reduce the game to your TV's resolution, or your TV should have one. If not, then the game's display will have parts out of the bounds of your TV's screen.

Anyway, that sounds like a really old TV or a really crappy one. Please upgrade if possible.

Fantomex

This might be a dumb question, but is it possible to have different saves in zelda? Or do they allow different accounts on the switch to have their own saves? I don't want my kids Messi g up my progress or getting to far ahead on my save.

Branduil

This might be a dumb question, but is it possible to have different saves in zelda? Or do they allow different accounts on the switch to have their own saves? I don't want my kids Messi g up my progress or getting to far ahead on my save.

Fairly sure each account has its own saves.

It's by account. It asks you which account you want to use as you're booting up the game.

Kurt

Yes

Peterc

Of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf9Vchnw33o

This video shows off some areas with Guardians and their variants. I found the regular mini guardians on the plateau to be rather weak but these versions are quite nasty. They also have fantastic animation too.

The Shrine appears to be an updated version of one shown off at E3 where the regular mini guardians are replaced with these stronger variants.

I'm quite fond of how the NPCs facial animations work. Thanks to the 2D effect of the artstyle drawing an expression is much more simple than animating it normally. But the result is a game with both visually interesting camera angles for dialogue and reactive NPCs that feel believable in body language and consequently might be some of the best NPCs in a game of this type to date. Nintendo has truly mastered the art of body language in gaming.

Mandelbo

There are a good bit of spoilers about stuff that is NDA'd

I find it kinda fucked up that people are drawing attention to that information.

I feel that anything that's in the preview videos is fair game in this thread as far as spoilers go, since the thread's more or less a discussion about those videos. Stuff leaking over from the spoiler thread to this one is where I'd draw the line - luckily haven't seen any of those yet, but I know it's happened a few times in the past day.

SWRC9

Neo Member
I feel like they are using a "ragdoll physics 2.0" or something. Not as ragdolly as GTA V for example, but more realistic but still ragdolly.. if that makes sense. In any event, the physics looks like it matches the games fluidity and combat perfectly

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I feel that anything that's in the preview videos is fair game in this thread as far as spoilers go, since the thread's more or less a discussion about those videos. Stuff leaking over from the spoiler thread to this one is where I'd draw the line - luckily haven't seen any of those yet, but I know it's happened a few times in the past day.

I'm talking about videos that have broken NDA with content.

There shod be a hard rule of only talking about that information in the Spoiler thread.

Mandelbo

I'm talking about videos that have broken NDA with content.

There shod be a hard rule of only talking about that information in the Spoiler thread.

Oh, that's fair enough - I haven't seen anything that broke the NDA to my knowledge, but then I've only watched the Polygon and Gamespot previews.

skypunch

Banned

This video shows off some areas with Guardians and their variants. I found the regular mini guardians on the plateau to be rather weak but these versions are quite nasty. They also have fantastic animation too.

The Shrine appears to be an updated version of one shown off at E3 where the regular mini guardians are replaced with these stronger variants.

I'm quite fond of how the NPCs facial animations work. Thanks to the 2D effect of the artstyle drawing an expression is much more simple than animating it normally.but the result is a game with both visually interesting camera angles for dialogue and reactive NPCs that feel believable in body language and consequently might be some of the best NPCs in a game of this type to date. Nintendo has truly mastered the art of body language in gaming.

Someone hasn't played The Witcher 3.

Someone hasn't played The Witcher 3.

Witcher 3 is much better about this than most games. But the emphasis on detailed Facial Animation pushes it closer to uncanny valley than probably anything ever will in Zelda.

I like Geralt's body Language though and a number of others. But Nintendo been steadily improving body language in the Zelda series for a very long time. It's why the NPCs in the series are so memorable after all and that hasn't changed for this game it seems. In fact, it seems better than ever and succeeds Majora's Mask as king of NPC interactions in the series it appears.

giphy.gif

Might as well finish this page up:

76jUj091NbsrK.gif

These two gifs are the most satisfying things I have ever seen in gaming in the past (check vanquish's release date) six years.

Antagon

So is this still in the game? :)

https://youtu.be/arHNcSMXaBk

This has never been more then a tech demo.

I'm quite fond of how the NPCs facial animations work. Thanks to the 2D effect of the artstyle drawing an expression is much more simple than animating it normally. But the result is a game with both visually interesting camera angles for dialogue and reactive NPCs that feel believable in body language and consequently might be some of the best NPCs in a game of this type to date. Nintendo has truly mastered the art of body language in gaming.

At 7:15 into this video there seems to be an enemy in the background that I haven't seen in any other footage.
The one with the search light. Obviously mechanic, so somehow related to the guardians?

Top Bottom