• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Cuburt

giphy.gif

Just when you thought BotW Link couldn't get any more badass.

I feel like they are using a "ragdoll physics 2.0" or something. Not as ragdolly as GTA V for example, but more realistic but still ragdolly.. if that makes sense. In any event, the physics looks like it matches the games fluidity and combat perfectly

It definitely reminds me a lot of what Rockstar has done with the Euphoria engine. There is a certain amount of extra attention to detail that makes interactions in BotW seem natural without any weird glitchy physics behavior or clipping and considering this is Nintendo's first game that seems to use so many complex physics systems together and behaviors, it's really impressive to me that even with all the hours of footage I've seen of this game now, I have yet to see any real wonky object collision or anything that broke the illusion that they created, even in the demo.

Just when you thought BotW Link couldn't get any more badass.

It definitely reminds me a lot of what Rockstar has done with the Euphoria engine. There is a certain amount of extra attention to detail that makes interactions in BotW seem natural without any weird glitchy physics behavior or clipping and considering this is Nintendo's first game that seems to use so many complex physics systems together and behaviors, it's really impressive to me that even with all the hours of footage I've seen of this game now, I have yet to see any real wonky object collision or anything that broke the illusion that they created, even in the demo.

I've seen a grand total of 1 glitch so far. But the way Lizalfos bodies slide around rock surfaces looks extremely impressive. Procedural animation is pretty awesome when used well.

I'm really unsure about this game. I've been a big fan of the series since playing ALTTP on my SNES back in the early 90s. But the previews I've watched seem a bit... charmless?

Plus I've never been into the whole Minecraft crafting/survival thing, so not sure I want that aspect in a Zelda game.

Looking forward to seeing some full reviews anyway.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I don't need to tell you that you really need to upgrade your TV!

If the TV is 1366 x 768, how can it support 1080i? Either you are mistaken or the TV specs is lying to you. 1366x768 is is sub-HD, 1920x1080 is full HD. Zelda's 1600x900 res is higher than your TV's max resolution.
The game should adjust fine on your TV, it will just not be optimal. I assume the Switch will have a downscaler to reduce the game to your TV's resolution, or your TV should have one. If not, then the game's display will have parts out of the bounds of your TV's screen.

Anyway, that sounds like a really old TV or a really crappy one. Please upgrade if possible.
720 is not sub hd fyi.

This game sounds and looks awesome! From what I have read, it seems as if Nintendo has addressed almost all of the complaints I've had about the past several entries in the Zelda series. Breath of The Wild looks as if it will finally move the series away from A Link To The Past / Ocarina of Time formula into something contemporary.

I'm really unsure about this game. I've been a big fan of the series since playing ALTTP on my SNES back in the early 90s. But the previews I've watched seem a bit... charmless?

All previews can only focus on the first 5 hours in the game, which all reviewers have chosen to spend all inside the same vast starting area. More varied landscapes and enemies will reveal themselves when the week goes on.

Fantomex

Fairly sure each account has its own saves.

It's by account. It asks you which account you want to use as you're booting up the game.

Of course

Thank you all. My teenagers are super hyped about this game. Before they were just little kids who liked to to jump or swing the sword. Now there talking about this zelda is open world I can't wait to try out stuff. It made me panic. It's nice to know they can have their own account/saves and not mess up my story.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Plus I've never been into the whole Minecraft crafting/survival thing, so not sure I want that aspect in a Zelda game.

I think some of that is because they've only really shown open areas and fights. I've not seen much (if any) footage of towns or talking with people, which is where a ton of Zelda charm comes from IMO - the characters you interact with and their little stories and incidental details.

Hopefully they're all still present and correct..

skypunch

Banned
Witcher 3 is much better about this than most games. But the emphasis on detailed Facial Animation pushes it closer to uncanny valley than probably anything ever will in Zelda.

I like Geralt's body Language though and a number of others. But Nintendo been steadily improving body language in the Zelda series for a very long time. It's why the NPCs in the series are so memorable after all and that hasn't changed for this game it seems. In fact, it seems better than ever and succeeds Majora's Mask as king of NPC interactions in the series it appears.

This word has lost all meaning.

Speely

Banned

Keep in mind that preview outlets are not allowed to go into story, characters, or villages in any kind of detail (if at all.) Folks have suggested that these things add a lot to the game but can't talk specifics or show these things. These are also the kinds of things that generally hold the charm of a game.

Oh, what was the glitch? Might be the first instance of a glitch in BotW lol.

In of the preview videos that I think ended up being taken down by Nintendo for being way to spoilerly. A chest Spawned by an Amiibo which happened to land on some meat started to inexplicably levitate. It didn't actually affect any gameplay though, Link could open the chest like any other. It was just weird.

This word has lost all meaning.

I'm pretty sure that exactly the context to use it in. Witcher 3 NPCs look great for the most part but they don't all make the transition across into solidity when if comes to animation. And perhaps Zelda won't either but the Art style would hide that way better, hence my feeling that Witcher 3 is relatively closer to the Uncanny valley.

I guess hiding behind objects is gonna be the best defense against the guardian laser beams.

Unless shield durability is much higher than melee weapons.

Shields can take some punishment but if they get hit by an element like Fire on Wood, Boom, disintegration in seconds.
A guardian Laser can blow through a Shield instantly unless you parry it.

I hope parry window is closer to Dark souls 1 than 2 or even better than both.

Lordy Dark Souls 2 made me hate parrying until Bloodborne came out.

I've heard that the Parry Window is pretty tight. I don't really like Bloodborne's Parries though, they're way too forgiving.

Antagon

I guess hiding behind objects is gonna be the best defense against the guardian laser beams.

Unless shield durability is much higher than melee weapons.
Probably later on, but early shields have pretty shitty durability. There's footage of shields that instantly break when trying to surf.

Also if you're fighting Elemental Chu Chu, make sure to not hit their drops. They explode on hit. But I imagine a creative player using them for traps in addition to dyes or other uses. God why does every item in this game have like tons of uses.

Is there any infos or footage on villages and NPCs?

The only real info is that they're similar to Majora NPCs, with their own schedules, their own emerging dialogue that depends on situations like if they're under attack or if the weather is nice, etc. NPCs can also attack monsters if in a situation that calls for it.

Gamexplain talked about them. NPCs live on schedules like Elder Scrolls games but also react to enemies, the environment and so on. However, unlike Elder Scrolls games they actually look good. There's also some dynamic dialogue based on what you've done.

Bluth54

They talk about the towns a little bit in the GameExplain video,

Andre says he's visited 2 towns and both are huge and he spend 2+ hours interacting with everyone in town. He also said the world feels very alive, people act different based on the weather or the day of the week.

Top Bottom