• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Buggy Loop

The problem is that if you're literally just describing Breath of the Wild then yeah, no game has done exactly that. But you can point to a few games that do a lot of the same stuff, and additionally do stuff Breath of the Wild doesn't. You can point to the systemic nature of Far Cry games. You can point to Oblivion, Skyrim, or the modern Fallout games.

The way some people describe Breath of the Wild you'd think that the aforementioned games didn't exist. That isn't to say that Breath of the Wild doesn't do great things, but it didn't invent a lot of these great things - it's just combining them in what seems to be a really effective way, but many good games do that.

That's the same discussion we had for Halo, why the hype? Why do peoples think it's revolutionary? Many games had "insert gameplay fragment" before and so did x game with "insert gameplay piece", etc etc...

In the end, when you make a soup with many different ingredients, the result does not taste the same as individual ingredients that didn't cook together. That's what made these games, like Halo, important.

Alienous

I don't understand riding the block mechanic. You can "charge" blocks with energy or what?

There's an ability (rune?) in the game you can use on an object to store the forces applied to it over a period of time, then enact those forces all at once.

The sheer number gameplay possibilities/mechanics Link can find himself in is actually staggering. A huge part of that is the physics system, and thank god for it because the end result is fucking incredible.

Sure, it may not hold up from a raw image/visual quality stand-point but all these little odds and ends which results in a thing we call gameplay really looks like its on some MGSV5 shit.

WetWaffle

The game very much feels like a reverse Molyneux. Accurate description of how the whole situation seems to unfold.

untitled-1wukbm.jpg

So in this game compared to other open worlds, what does it do that convinces you that it has more freedom? Just curious

Jobbs

Banned
does every zelda related amiibo do something in the game? and what do they do?

So in this game compared to other open worlds, what does it do that convinces you that it has more freedom? Just curious

no one has provided a good answer to this yet because no one has played it yet (which hasn't stopped some of them from declaring it a revolutionary step forward etc).

AGoodODST

I don't understand riding the block mechanic. You can "charge" blocks with energy or what?

It's a Slate ability called Stasis. It freezes objects in time. You can however repeatedly hit them to build up inertia so when the stasis ends the energy sends the object zooming forward rather than staying where it was.

Robiin

There's an ability (rune?) in the game you can use on an object to store the forces applied to it over a period of time, then enact those forces all at once.

Cucurbitacée;231002650 said:
You can freeze some object in time. If you hit them during this period the kinetic energy will accumulate and release when the time unfreeze.
YOOO thanks, that sound so cool! So they froze the block, hit it a bunch and then when it unfroze all the accumulated knockback pulled it forward? This game is so cool, I've watched all trailers and a bit of the E3 coverage but this game has so many mechanics I still feel like I'll be surprised!

DNAbro

does every zelda related amiibo do something in the game?

and.. what do they do?

no one has provided a good answer to this yet because no one has played it yet.

only one has any worth and that's the wolf link amiibo. Others just provide items.

GRW810

does every zelda related amiibo do something in the game? and what do they do?
Every single LoZ amiibo does something, and apparently (and randomly) amiibo from other series too. Monster Hunter and BoxBoy (of all things) were mentioned.

phanphare

Banned
That's the same discussion we had for Halo, why the hype? Why do peoples think it's revolutionary? Many games had "insert gameplay fragment" before and so did x game with "insert gameplay piece", etc etc...

In the end, when you make a soup with many different ingredients, the result does not taste the same as individual ingredients that didn't cook together. That's what made these games, like Halo, important.

that's a good analogy. it's like we're out here eating chili and dude's like "what are yall gushing about, I've eaten beef before"

phanphare

Banned

it provides a level of interactivity with the world not seen before in an open world game opening up many possibilities and emergent gameplay scenarios. all of the different systems mesh in a really elegant way. basically if you look at any given situation and wonder "can I do _____?" the answer is usually "yes"

you should check out the E3 thread for botw. it's....wild.

no one has provided a good answer to this yet because no one has played it yet (which hasn't stopped some of them from declaring it a revolutionary step forward etc).

I feel like dozens of people have provided you with a good answer and you just ignored them. it was quite apparent even from the limited E3 demo that this game is doing something not seen before in an open world game. I believe someone even linked the thread from E3 in response to your query.

Jobbs

Banned
You could read the impressions of people who have sat down and played the game for 10+ hours.

Yeah, the critics have me pumped.

"Is it possible to give a game an 11? If so, this would be the game that would merit that score. Breath Of The Wild is a title that exceeds all of the hype that was attached to the title." -IGN

"As the crowning achievement of the series' 20-year history, Eiji Aonuma's final The Legend of Zelda title may not be what you expect, but it is everything you could hope for in a video game." -Game Informer

"The Wii U finally gets its "savior", Aonuma gets his masterpiece, and gamers get one of the best games of all time." -Gamepro

Those are MGS4 reviews from professional gaming critics

please play the game first then decide what it is or isn't

DLaicH

The paraglider is one of the best ideas they've had for the series.

(Honestly, if it weren't for Skyward Sword they probably wouldn't have been able to implement a lot of the really cool ideas for this game. That game took one for the team.)

I agree that the paraglider is awesome, but I think the real precedent for it was the Deku Leaf in Wind Waker.

Alienous

Halo is considered revolutionary because of its revolutionary aspects. Shooters featuring spaces as large as Halo featured, and AI as dynamic as Halo featured didn't exist prior to Halo.

I think it's much harder to point to an aspect of Breath of the Wild that's revolutionary. It does a lot of things well, evidently, but it doesn't seem like a sea change in making open world games, but rather a refinement and combination of many systems we've seen before.

it provides a level of interactivity with the world not seen before in an open world game opening up many possibilities and emergent gameplay scenarios. all of the different systems mesh in a really elegant way. basically if you look at any given situation and wonder "can I do _____?" the answer is usually "yes"

you should check out the E3 thread for botw. it's....wild.

That's true of Metal Gear Solid V, so...

Air

Banned
The paraglider is one of the best ideas they've had for the series.

(Honestly, if it weren't for Skyward Sword they probably wouldn't have been able to implement a lot of the really cool ideas for this game. That game took one for the team.)

The biggest impact skyward sword had on BOTW is the actual world. BOTW is skyward sword's overworld but perfected. It has the same dungeon-like design but is actually cohesive and completely interactive.

Jobbs

Banned
Ok? This seems fairly evident. Are people not allowed to have expectations or make predictions?

I'm excited for the game too.. I'm just trying to push back a bit against the unchecked hyperbole that is, at times, reaching comical levels

cackhyena

I'm excited for the game too.. I'm just trying to push back a bit against the unchecked hyperbole that is, at times, reaching comical levels
Like I've said, lookit where you are. It's like announcing water is wet.

That said, I'm pumped as hell like I haven't been since MGSV was about to drop.

Caelus

The biggest impact skyward sword had on BOTW is the actual world. BOTW is skyward sword's overworld but perfected. It has the same dungeon-like design but is actually cohesive and completely interactive.

Yeah, BotW is what I wish Skyward Sword would've been, but I also mean that the many mistakes the developers made with Skyward Sword allowed them to reevalaute what made Zelda so fun, and the effects are apparent in Link Between Worlds and hopefully this game.

Jobbs

Banned
That said, I'm pumped as hell like I haven't been since MGSV was about to drop.

I wasn't very excited until pretty recently. I've been getting into the spirit of it -- As someone who grew up with the OG Zelda games -- I get it. I do. I just like to view things with a bit of healthy skepticism, especially when the hype machine is spinning out of control. It's more fun to be pleasantly surprised than let down.

Just let it be, man.

If people get burned by overhype and excitement, that's on them.

I like having my reasonable dissenting statements on record for posterity. :) I recall making similar statements about NMS long before it came out and being shouted down in some instances by people fully engaged in that hype machine

If there was ever a game that I would consider safe to hype about, it would be a main entry into the Zelda series.

I like having my reasonable dissenting statements on record for posterity. :) I recall making similar statements about NMS long before it came out and recall being shouted down in some instances by people fully engaged in that hype machine

I understand this concern, but Zelda is no NMS. We know the bare minimum of what we can expect with Zelda for example. Also, Nintendo is no Hello Games either, with Zelda being decade-running established franchise for them.

Finally, Aonuma is no Sean Murray, and while they have been secretive about the game, they have had press demos running for years now and sent review copies and the embargos have pre-release date expirations. Almost nobody played NMS before launch.

That speaks of Nintendo's confidence on their product.

No Man's Sky and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild situations are not remotely comparable.

Caelus

I wasn't very excited until pretty recently. I've been getting into the spirit of it -- As someone who grew up with the OG Zelda games -- I get it. I do. I just like to view things with a bit of healthy skepticism, especially when the hype machine is spinning out of control. It's more fun to be pleasantly surprised than let down.

It's up to an individual to control their expectations and hype. I don't necessarily think the hype machine is "spinning out of control", there seem to be legitimate concrete reasons to be excited for this title that didn't really exist for, let's say, Skyward Sword.

For people who played Ocarina as a kid and experienced the zeitgeist, I don't think Breath of the Wild will live up to that moment even if it's an A+ game. But I do think it will have that effect for young kids like my brother, for whom it'll be one of his first Zeldas.

I don't think your NMS comparison holds any water.

WetWaffle

Nah, it's easier to troll and look like foolish. Apparently all the other previewers saying similar things haven't played any of the other open world games he has

I'm trolling cause I ask a simple question since I wasn't convinced by the videos, complete with you putting words in my mouth? Control yourself.

cackhyena

I get that. I've never been a big Zelda fan. Only one I've ever played to completion is WW. I was pumped from the first reveal because I saw the same thing I saw in MGSV/Ground Zeroes. The opportunity to make your own way for the most part. That and I just really dig the visuals.

Top Bottom