• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The little mermaid, chronicle of an established tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Imagine for a moment that they call the actor Jonah Hauer-King who got a role for a Disney movie and has to kiss a mermaid...

Frx0WiRXwAEeJh-

FrTqFHUWYAIOX_e

even for me, these animations terrify me

FrI3EDGXsAA7VZB

kunonabi

It was always a bad idea to try TLM in live-action but so far every creative decision they've made looks like it's just going make things worse.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
i think we all know what is going to happen here, it is going to bomb and Disney and their shills are going to twist themselves in knots to come up with reasons why

I think it has to be 4D Chess at this point. Like...

1. Buy or utilize property with sizeable fanbase.
2. Take a beloved classic in that IP, and announce a remake.
3. Non-terminally online normies will buy into it on nostalgia alone. Easy break even.
4. Add on the brand loyalists and paid shills.
5. Cast a lead in opposing fashion to the originals casting choice. If he's he, Make him she, if she's white, make her black. If she's black, make her gay, on and on in modular fashion.
6. Online critics and yootoobers will spend all of the money on it in a rush to have the hottest take from the rage bait audience.
7. Negative press is still press.
8. SJW twatter Warriors will flock to this poor, helpless, subhuman minority's def- *checks notes* they'll flock to this brave and stunning, inclusive take from a corporate entity that definitely totes cares about your identity and what other people think of it.
9. Media buzz dies down
10. Step 1.

LordCBH

It’s gonna be dogshit just like all the other live action remakes. The only real question is: will it manage to be even more dogshit than Mulan? Mulan was by far the worst live action remake of theirs I’ve seen. It was so unbelievably bad.

Last edited:

ManaByte

It’s gonna be dogshit just like all the other live action remakes. The only real question is: will it manage to be even more dogshit than Mulan? Mulan was by far the worst live action remake of theirs I’ve seen. It was so unbelievably bad.
You didn’t see Lion King.

Curious OP do you have a Disney plus account? If so will you cancel it?

I realize ppl who have an opinion on modern Disney are subscribers. You give up any opinion who have when you are a subscriber. Even if you were to not watch a film like the
Little mermaid you still contribute financially monthly to Disney to create it.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Jonah Hauer-King- in my contract it says that I would kiss a mermaid. 😐

Director-Here it is.

Jonah Hauer-King- She is not a mermaid, she looks like an axolotl. 🐸

Producer-I wouldn't turn down a Mermaid's kiss...Kiss her or we take action. 😤

Jonah Hauer-King - mmmm 😐😑😑

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I realize ppl who have an opinion on modern Disney are subscribers. You give up any opinion who have when you are a subscriber. Even if you were to not watch a film like the
That makes zero sense.

If I dont like a certain product at Costco, why would I boycott the entire store and cancel my membership?

If people don't watch this thing, either out of protest or personal subjective taste, it'll still a financial loss for Disney. If Disney spends money to make programing people don't watch, even on Disney Plus, that's still hurting their business. It's not a binary on / off situation. It's really more of a sliding scale. If a company makes you feel unwelcome (or even if they just stop making content that you find entertaining), and as a natural result you reduce the money you spend with that company, it all adds up.

But since you're asking, no, I don't have a disney account and I don't intend to get one.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Why is the Little Mermaid ugly?

Also, I always found this story problematic - a mermaid gives away her life / voice and goes to great distance to please a man / prince. Wouldn’t it be better to try and make a movie with the roles reversed - a prince chasing the mermaid?

Soodanim

I don't know if there's any truth to it, but I saw the suggestion that part of the remake motivation was the royalties paid to some that worked on the originals.

I liked the part where Disney and other massive corporations flooded comments sections with "I liked the part" comments from bots, burying all actual discourse surrounding the garbage they're shoveling. This isn't a meme or a fad, it's obfuscation. Sort by recent comments, and you'll barely find any of that crap.

[edit] After some logical pushback, I now think they're just removing any highly rated original criticism, and these meme posts are the only comments left.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Looks shit but who cares? Just ignore it then.

People going berserk over this stuff just makes it more annoying.

That's where I'm at. We know these live action Disney remakes suck. The animation in this looks truly bizarre and way too cheap and lazy for a company Disney's size, and that's before we get to how it's clearly aimed at children. Seems much ado about nothing. I was never going to watch it anyways.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It looks like dog shit, just like every other Disney live action remake.

Trying to make the animals look realistic is pointless. How the fuck are you going to emote a crab?! It just looks creepy. Should have just turned the original 2D designs into 3D CGI characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom