• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamfelps

Neo Member
Well at least Ryder is finally confirmed. But I agree that at least ark/pathfinder initiative should've been confirmed now also.

Well at least Ryder is finally confirmed. But I agree that at least ark/pathfinder initiative should've been confirmed now also.

It basically already has been.

BTW, going off that "ME multiplayer wishes" thread, I'm surprised there's so many people who either hated the store or never tried/resent the multi. The store was easily one of the best microtransaction systems I've seen (frankly, it's my gold standard), and the multi was a major highlight.

It basically already has been.

BTW, going off that "ME multiplayer wishes" thread, I'm surprised there's so many people who either hated the store or never tried/resent the multi. The store was easily one of the best microtransaction systems I've seen (frankly, it's my gold standard), and the multi was a major highlight.

The excellent multiplayer took some sting out of my issues with the ending.

But tying galactic readiness to multiplayer matches, with a real time decay no less, was just misgudied BS.

I still wonder if they actually made a mistake having the (*cough) 'best' ending only achievable by multiplayer participation or if they did it by design. I remember their spokespeople didn't seem to be aware of this shortly after release... at least they patched it out when the extended cut rolled around.

But tying galactic readiness to multiplayer matches, with a real time decay no less, was just misgudied BS.

I still wonder if they actually made a mistake having the (*cough) 'best' ending only achievable by multiplayer participation or if they did it by design. I remember their spokespeople didn't seem to be aware of this shortly after release... at least they patched it out when the extended cut rolled around.

The "Shepard Lives" ending thing? Yeah, that was probably a mistake, but the number of people hung up on it all this time later? After it was patched out? kek.

Patryn

Pretty much every decision related to the ending of ME3 was a bad decision.

I'll be interested to see how Andromeda differs given that they're swinging from total authorial fiat to focus-testing the ending(s?).

Not that I suspect they had much of a choice. I'd almost guarantee that EA stepped in and is mandating that they bring in outside help for the ending this time after the ME3 fiasco.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I have to say, I'm in a pretty awesome hyped place right now for the game: it actually feels real at least now.

Love the aspect of family that Mac mentioned too: that brings a whole new dynamic to my Mass Effect adventuring....yuss.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I have to say, I'm in a pretty awesome hyped place right now for the game: it actually feels real at least now.

Love the aspect of family that Mac mentioned too: that brings a whole new dynamic to my Mass Effect adventuring....yuss.

Watch how you will have to decide near the end of the game if you'll have to sacrifice your brother or your mother after 30 hours of getting to know and love them.
Then you'll go "Fuck you Bioware, you can't do that to me."

Patryn

The family thing could be good, but I look at how they handled it in DA2 on just an appearance basis and I worry.

For instance, one of the main reasons I ended up going to default Hawke in that game was actually hair color. While they made attempts to have skin color match, they didn't care about hair so my original Hawke was a redheaded happy rogue... in a family of all dark haired people.

He totally looked like he didn't fit in the least. Same problem with my second attempt. Eventually I felt shackled to conform to the existing characters and I didn't feel like I was creating my own character, so I said screw it and just went default.

It's the only time I've ever gone default appearance in a Bioware game.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Watch how you will have to decide near the end of the game if you'll have to sacrifice your brother or your mother after 30 hours of getting to know and love them.

I can't wait for that moment.....it'll be my alien waifu or my kin, it's going to be a hard choice.

Let's do this, my biotic shields are up: let's head to Andromeda.

Patryn

Another realization: If you DO have a sibling, how long until someone, somewhere complains that they are not a romance option?

diaspora

Another realization: If you DO have a sibling, how long until someone, somewhere complains that they are not a romance option?
Probably immediately. A few people were cheesed the Hawke siblings wouldn't.

Edit: as for DA2, I only ever played it with mods so that the family hair and skin tones match your custom Hawke so I probably likedit more than most.

SilentDisco

Neo Member
those ryder rumors were on point but i do think they could've come up with a more original name than that.

but it's all good & hype.

Shepard was homage to Alan Shepard; 1st American male in space.

Ryder is homage to Sally Ride; 1st American female in space.

or so I'm guessing...

I'll be interested to see how Andromeda differs given that they're swinging from total authorial fiat to focus-testing the ending(s?).

Not that I suspect they had much of a choice. I'd almost guarantee that EA stepped in and is mandating that they bring in outside help for the ending this time after the ME3 fiasco.

I'm glad for the focus testing, but I hope it's balanced.

If they handle it as poorly as Fallout 4, everyone's going to hit the roof.

that ain't confirmed but i guess that could be true.

i wanted them to go with gaffney.

If the name was Gaffney, I'd spend the whole game wishing it was Underwood.

*renegade action*
"Man, Underwood, you're an evil son of a bitch."

diaspora

I don't think it'll be the same as Fallout 4. For the problems I had with DA2, I liked how Bioware was able to deal with family; your choices would dictate the fate of the sibling that survives the flight to Kirkwall like whether they'd be a Warden, Circle Mage, Templar, or dead. Then again- I did use mods to ensure that their skin, hair, and eye colours would match my custom character.

Ralemont

not me
I thought the Hawke family plotline was great as well. My guess is that there's a bother and sister Ryder on the trip, and choosing your gender makes the other an NPC.

My baseless theory is that the mysterious N7 character we saw in the early reveals is also a Ryder, maybe a sibling or parent... to make the goal of exploring and finding out what happened to his expedition more personal.

mass_effect_andromeda_e3_trailer_6.jpg

diaspora

My baseless theory is that the mysterious N7 character we saw in the early reveals is also a Ryder, maybe a sibling or parent... to make the goal of exploring and finding out what happened to his expedition more personal.

I think so to. I had mentioned it earlier but with the first N7 trailer it was mentioned that the N7 wasn't the protagonist, so it could be another Ryder. A woman if you're playing as Guyer, a male if you're playing as Rydgirl.

It makes sense, doesn't it?

They also played Ghost Riders in the Sky over images of N7-man exploring Andromeda and getting ready for combat (isn't this where we see the Ryder dog tag too?)

Since Ryder is effectively cut off from her relatives (and they'll all be long dead by the time she arrives in Andromeda), the only way I see the family theme playing out is if she brought some of the them with her... or if this N7 vanguard is related.

It would be cool if he turns out to be the antagonist... we need a good Saren. BioWare games in general are due for a threatening and believably motivated villain.

diaspora

I only played Inquisition at release, did I miss something? Never felt the need to go back or buy DLC.

He was a party member with a kicker in the epilogue. The actual villain in the game was nothing to write home about and I can't even remember his name.

Corypheus was never the actual villain.

Corypheus was never the actual villain.

I'm not trying to be obtuse but how, exactly, was I supposed to catch that? I played the game for 93 hours and got most of the achievements. Did they massively add backstory in the DLC or is this a 2deep4me kinda thing?

Also: dramatic catalyst does not equal antagonist - at no point did I work against him in the story.

diaspora

I'm not trying to be obtuse but how, exactly, was I supposed to catch that? I played the game for 93 hours and got most of the achievements. Did they massively add backstory in the DLC or is this a 2deep4me kinda thing?

Also: dramatic catalyst does not equal antagonist - at no point did I work against him in the story.

Solas drops hints and mentions for... most of the game. It ramps up after the destruction of Haven. Beating the game has Solas come out straight as the main antagonist, and the Trespasser expands on it. You don't actively/knowingly work against him for the bulk of the game because he's playing you like a damn fiddle there's flags for this throughout the game. FWIW this is after over 200 hours in the game.

Yeah, I didn't miss that he's the driver of the narrative - but can we agree that it's a bit rich to call him the antagonist when that's not actually something that's motivating your choices throughout the actual game?

It also doesn't excuse Corypheus being a non-entity, Saren functioned just fine as an extension of the Reapers.

diaspora

Corypheus was fine for what he was, a tool of Solas' gone way out of the fuck control that he's getting you to clean up for him.

edit: Most of the decisions you make in the game are dependent on what Solas does and doesn't tell you. Trespasser alone puts him head and shoulders above modern WRPG villains imo.

Ralemont

not me
Yeah, I didn't miss that he's the driver of the narrative - but can we agree that it's a bit rich to call him the antagonist when that's not actually something that's motivating your choices throughout the actual game?

It also doesn't excuse Corypheus being a non-entity, Saren functioned just fine as an extension of the Reapers.

It's more the Trespasser DLC that cements
Solas
as the series antagonist. I don't want to spoil anything in case you play it eventually, but he's presented as a nuanced villain with understandable motives that nevertheless absolutely has to be stopped. I thought they did a great job with him.

It's more the Trespasser DLC that cements Solas as the series antagonist. I don't want to spoil anything in case you play it eventually, but he's presented as a nuanced villain with understandable motives that nevertheless absolutely has to be stopped. I thought they did a great job with him.

Ohh, cool. I'll get on it eventually. :)

diaspora

It's more the Trespasser DLC that cements Solas as the series antagonist. I don't want to spoil anything in case you play it eventually, but he's presented as a nuanced villain with understandable motives that nevertheless absolutely has to be stopped. I thought they did a great job with him.

Depends on the fans you talk to :p

The sympathy I've seen of him and his motivations are disturbing.

I'd put money on it, tbh. They run off to do god-knows-what, you're following after them, always a step behind, right up until the end.

I can dig it.

Also: clearly I need to play Trespasser, and also eventually the rest of the base game :p

diaspora

I just want the ability to play as different squad mates/ party members like in Dragon Age. I don't see why that couldn't be done since it'd have no effect on the story.
Same with co-op.

Sou Da

I just want the ability to play as different squad mates/ party members like in Dragon Age. I don't see why that couldn't be done since it'd have no effect on the story.
Same with co-op.

Yeah that was supposed to be a thing in ME1, always wondered why it wasn't.

diaspora

Yeah that was supposed to be a thing in ME1, always wondered why it wasn't.

It's mostly ME3 that puzzles me since you can play as Turians, Krogans, etc in the MP, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't let you switch characters for combat in the SP if they've already demonstrated the ability to play as different races and classes in the game itself.

I mean, that makes sense as far as coop is concerned, though the puzzle as to why we're still lacking the ability to switch between squadmates is left in the air.

Well, that's what I mean. There's not really a window to do anything interesting with squaddie switching.

Also, compare and contrast the skill point totals between Shepard and his bros. Dude's got a lot more to work with, generally. I get wanting to play as, like, Mordin, but taking control of him in combat is just gonna limit the player.

diaspora

Well, that's what I mean. There's not really a window to do anything interesting with squaddie switching.

Also, compare and contrast the skill point totals between Shepard and his bros. Dude's got a lot more to work with, generally. I get wanting to play as, like, Mordin, but taking control of him in combat is just gonna limit the player.

Sure, but there's really no reason to not implement it. I mean, I can make a mage Inquisitor, but switch to Champion Blackwall, or Reaver Bull if I want to, and there's tactical benefits of doing it.

edit: I mean, it just adds variety to the gameplay being able to switch between characters.

Walters is talking about 'internal focus testing' which I think has more to do with peer review and fresh eyes on the narrative, rather than design-by-peanut-gallery. The rumored lack of internal review is probably one reason why the ending was such a dramatic squib with lots of lore/thematic inconsistencies. Seems like a reasonable 'lesson learned', no need for corporate mandates.

Mac Walters said:
“I think it’s fair to say we are very sensitive on the project about our ending. And we a lot of internal focus testing on it as well,” Walters said. “That’s probably something we’re more aware of and we’re paying more attention to it for sure. It’s changed in that regard.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom