• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the next Xbox is planned to be released in late 2026.

Darsxx82

If GTA can stay on track which in no way would I hold my breath on them making their target

Plus what if this Xbox/PC is a $1000 enthusiasts "console" and is in fact still holding its own against a $500 console that comes out a year or two later?

James Harden Reaction GIF by NBA
Without excluding the possibility that they could perfectly launch new hardware a year or two later (2029-2030) to respond to any Sony proposal with PS6.

The idea is supposed to end generations and bet on different times compared to Playstation. In fact, periodic hardware compatible with each other (like a PC and iPhone) is what would most match the hybrid PC proposal.

That is, what MS launch in 2026 could be the XSS of this gen and several years later launch the XSX. The support or compatibility (as happens on PC and mobile phones) will come from the capabilities to move games. In times where by the time PS6 is 4 years old PS5/Xseries is still being supported.... 🤷🏻

If GTA can stay on track which in no way would I hold my breath on them making their target

Plus what if this Xbox/PC is a $1000 enthusiasts "console" and is in fact still holding its own against a $500 console that comes out a year or two later?

Sony would have nothing to worry about with a $1000 Xbox. Seems the Xbox leadership can't help but shoot themselves in the foot. Launch early to avoid going head to head with Playstation, but charge $1000 for it? Dumb.

pasterpl

Sony would have nothing to worry about with a $1000 Xbox. Seems the Xbox leadership can't help but shoot themselves in the foot. Launch early to avoid going head to head with Playstation, but charge $1000 for it? Dumb.
if you want real next gen experience, you would pay that price. I know I would. I have got $5k gaming PC and would buy the $999 new Xbox day 1. Especially if it would have all bells and whistles that are being hypothesised in this thread.people by yearly phones with minor upgrades that cost over $1000. GPUs for couple $K so device that will last you 3-4 years, that might be upgradable for $1000 is not bad deal. All depends on what is the final product.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Without excluding the possibility that they could perfectly launch new hardware a year or two later (2029-2030) to respond to any Sony proposal with PS6.

The idea is supposed to end generations and bet on different times compared to Playstation. In fact, periodic hardware compatible with each other (like a PC and iPhone) is what would most match the hybrid PC proposal.

That is, what MS launch in 2026 could be the XSS of this gen and several years later launch the XSX. The support or compatibility (as happens on PC and mobile phones) will come from the capabilities to move games. In times where by the time PS6 is 4 years old PS5/Xseries is still being supported.... 🤷🏻

Xbox needs to go tik tok with Sony. Just launch a new machine or pro a couple of years after the Sony console.

Only thing that makes sense for people like me who want something different to buy every couple of years.

if you want real next gen experience, you would pay that price. I know I would. I have got $5k gaming PC and would buy the $999 new Xbox day 1. Especially if it would have all bells and whistles that are being hypothesised in this thread.people by yearly phones with minor upgrades that cost over $1000. GPUs for couple $K so device that will last you 3-4 years, that might be upgradable for $1000 is not bad deal. All depends on what is the final product.
And that's where things go wrong. The whole reason Series S existed was to subsidize the Series X. if you are going to have a $999 nextbox, the market size would be so tiny that there wouldn't be any game optimization for it. And that is assuming your $999 is enough to even justify the production line making it.

Your $999 dollars does not pay for the cost of setting up the production for the hardware, the number of customers are too few. And especially since you would still be buying the same games and thus pay Xbox the same amount of money, as you would have buying a weaker box.

Your desire for a super-expensive console made you blind to the fact that Xbox doesn't profit from it. Unless you also deliberately pay double the price for games every time you buy a title. And that assumes you even pay for games.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Outside of enthusiast forums I feel $1000 is a no go, especially in the current global economic climate.

You can't compare mobile phones, these are mostly on contracts and are very much a major part of most people's day to day lives and are seen as essential, a gaming machine is not.

But yes, depends on what you get for the money, but currently people are saying the PS5 is a hard sell because you can play those same games on PS4 (there is some truth in it because it's mostly about the games), imagine a $1000 box that plays the same games as a $400-$500 box

midnightAI

And that's where things go wrong. The whole reason Series S existed was to subsidize the Series X.
While I agree with the rest of your post I feel this part is wrong (unless I misunderstood what you mean by subsidize). The Series S loses Microsoft more money than the Series X, they subsidize both, neither are making money, even now, but Series S is likely to lose MS around $200 per sale when it was last mentioned.

The reason they made the Series S was to try and gain ground on Sony by undercutting the price of the PS5 but to do so they had to compromise the specs. something Sony didn't do when making the digital only PS5.

Series S still sells more than X so loses MS more, it's a self inflicted wound.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Outside of enthusiast forums I feel $1000 is a no go, especially in the current global economic climate.

You can't compare mobile phones, these are mostly on contracts and are very much a major part of most people's day to day lives and are seen as essential, a gaming machine is not.

But yes, depends on what you get for the money, but currently people are saying the PS5 is a hard sell because you can play those same games on PS4 (there is some truth in it because it's mostly about the games), imagine a $1000 box that plays the same games as a $400-$500 box
That’s where the more mainstream priced dockable comes in as those Xbox execs mentioned being even more flexible next gen

midnightAI

That’s where the more mainstream priced dockable comes in as those Xbox execs mentioned being even more flexible next gen
We'll see, it does sound like giving up on a 'traditional' console, which is not unexpected. (Handheld PC, gaming PC) The issue being there is a lot of competition in that space, and they move fast, so even if MS has a great idea it will be replicated and undercut in no time (maybe they don't really care about that though and just want to make whatever money they can off the hardware, like they do with Surface and currently they are losing money on hardware so that's a step forward at least)

Last edited:
So we are back at "don't buy the next Playstation because Xbox is going to release an even more powerful machine... 1 2 years later" PR machine?

But as usual the most important will be software (games) and APIs for AI upscaling and RT. Xbox just won't have the technology ready in 2 years. They are already behind Playstation (XSX has nothing to even compete against Insomniac games featuring RT) and they'll be even more behind Sony in 2 years specifically in AI upscaling. The latest games using hardware RT don't even run better on XSX, they usually run better or similar on weaker PS5 (featuring the weaker RT 1.0 IP :messenger_grinning_sweat:) and that's using multiplatform engines. In 2 years all games will use hardware RT which is not the case now, most UE5 games use software RT.

When they released X1X their GDK was notoriously lagging behind Sony's SDK, things didn't improve at all With Xbox Series and it will be even worse in 2026, assuming they do release their own late mid-gen machine.

As usual and more than before power / bandwidth (and lack of innovation) won't be enough for them. We have seen this with X1X and XSX. Their tools will suck again and the best looking games will still be on PS5 Pro, not Xbox XSX Pro.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So we are back at "don't buy the next Playstation because Xbox is going to release an even more powerful machine... 1 2 years later" PR machine?

But as usual the most important will be software (games) and APIs for AI upscaling and RT. Xbox just won't have the technology ready in 2 years. They are already behind Playstation (XSX has nothing to even compete against Insomniac games featuring RT) and they'll be even more behind Sony in 2 years specifically in AI upscaling. The latest games using hardware RT don't even run better on XSX, they usually run better or similar on weaker PS5 (featuring the weaker RT 1.0 IP :messenger_grinning_sweat:) and that's using multiplatform engines. In 2 years all games will use hardware RT which is not the case now, most UE5 games use software RT.

When they released X1X their GDK was notoriously lagging behind Sony's SDK, things didn't improve at all With Xbox Series and it will be even worse in 2026, assuming they do release their own late mid-gen machine.

As usual and more than before power / bandwidth (and lack of innovation) won't be enough for them. We have seen this with X1X and XSX. Their tools will suck again and the best looking games will still be on PS5 Pro, not Xbox XSX Pro.
I don’t think it’s a much don’t buy the PS5 Pro because this machine might be on the horizon but more like wanting people that has the itch to wanting something new and powerful to play even 3rd party games on

While I agree with the rest of your post I feel this part is wrong (unless I misunderstood what you mean by subsidize). The Series S loses Microsoft more money than the Series X, they subsidize both, neither are making money, even now, but Series S is likely to lose MS around $200 per sale when it was last mentioned.

The reason they made the Series S was to try and gain ground on Sony by undercutting the price of the PS5 but to do so they had to compromise the specs. something Sony didn't do when making the digital only PS5.

Series S still sells more than X so loses MS more, it's a self inflicted wound.
In this case, i don't mean monetary subsidization, but ecosystem size. If Series X was by itself the thought was that there would be less players and thus less ecosystem to sell games on. That would discourage 3rd party developers. Series S is a stupid solution to that problem, which caused the goal of having an expensive console pointless as it handicapped the entire ecosystem to 8MB of ram.

The entire idea of launching two SKUs of different capabilities was simply a bad idea. Almost as bad as launching a $999 system.

Naked Lunch

If the rumors about the next Xbox running Steam (and other storefronts) is true - that is huge. And changes the entire console gaming space.
But the thing is - will the next Playstation also run Steam?

Is this where 'console' gaming is headed? Basically more like living room PCs.

Just things to think about.

If the rumors about the next Xbox running Steam (and other storefronts) is true - that is huge. And changes the entire console gaming space.

When was the last time Xbox even LEAD the industry? What parallel bizarro world did you came from where this was even remotely possible?

Tell me, exactly what made you think the console that came third and is struggling to survive is suppose to forecast where the entire industry is leading?

What does the struggles of Xbox have anything remotely to do with console gaming as a whole?

kfpkiller

If the next Xbox can run Steam it will be expensive af.
Do you really believe Microsoft is going to subsidize the cost of their next console so then people can buy their games on Steam ?

djjinx2

If the next Xbox can run Steam it will be expensive af.
Do you really believe Microsoft is going to subsidize the cost of their next console so then people can buy their games on Steam ?
$/£899 PC Running custom Xbox software.

$\£399 ARM based handheld hybrid, GamePass, stream all your old games, plays all Series S games locally.

Then let 3rd party hardware manufacturers in on it too.

Feasible?

midnightAI

In this case, i don't mean monetary subsidization, but ecosystem size. If Series X was by itself the thought was that there would be less players and thus less ecosystem to sell games on. That would discourage 3rd party developers. Series S is a stupid solution to that problem, which caused the goal of having an expensive console pointless as it handicapped the entire ecosystem to 8MB of ram.

The entire idea of launching two SKUs of different capabilities was simply a bad idea. Almost as bad as launching a $999 system.
They tried to be too clever, releasing their main console and the pro console at the same time, it failed.

And I agree, I don't think a $1000 console will sell (a two pronged approach as mentioned is just repeating the same mistake, but because one is rumoured to be a handheld then that may work (I doubt it) but they have to try something, right?)

Hudo

They are already living room PCs, just more limited, bothersome and dumbed down (deliberately so). So they might as well go the full mile, imho.
The plug-and-play, easy-to-use, one-purpose device philosophy died a slow death during the PS360 era.

HDinRed

Neo Member
2026 seems like a long time to wait.. would have thought next year.. MS needs to create excitement around the Xbox brand between now and then, not sure what they can do.

This sounds like an awful idea. So maybe it's true considering the state of Xbox recently.

I mean, they pulled a miracle with the 360 launching a year before Nintendo and Sony. Going from underdog to being the market leader for most the generation (vs PS3).

But I can't see them doing that again, they have lost complete focus. The 360 succeeded because of GAMES.

It had a solid launch with Call of Duty 2, Perfect Dark Zero (yes I know it sucked but there was hype), Condemned, Dead or Alive 4 and others.

It followed thru on that launch with Oblivion, Ghost Recon and Rainbow 6 Vegas in March. 3 bad ass games in a few short months after launch, plus (bonus) a great version of Burnout Revenge.

Then summer months you got Dead Rising and Saints Row. Follow that up with F.EA.R. and of course, Gears of War.

Right there is 10 games, not including all the other sports games and ports it got (among other stuff) it had in 1 year.

And that 1 year, Sony stumbled out of the gates with Crabs and people were beating up Grandma's for a Wii.

IN 2026...

The PS5 isn't going away. And the PS6 is not coming out. Sony will be in a transition, but will they actually be weak? I doubt it, though I find the idea of a PS5Pro to be foolish.

The Switch 2, providing Nintendo doesn't completely fuck this up... Should be a monster. If they are in any way trying to mimic the Switch's game plan...

You are seeing Smash Bros. and Pokemon that year. Plus whatever else is up the sleeve. Lord knows the launch year 2025 should slap. But can they follow thru?

Perhaps M$ knows something we don't, which is the only reason. Only reason it would make sense to launch in 2026. They are a publisher, they could be privy to things.

Maybe they are preparing for that after the smoke clears, PS5 pro comes out... Not much new, Switch 2 comes out guns blazing, but then there's a lull...

Bam, new Xbox bitches.

But like always, it's gonna take games. If there aren't any, well shit son. Why you gonna do that?
the team behind 360 is long gone. I feel people forget that companies arent the same after some years passed and people move on.

Zannegan

Gamers are whores.

All it would take is a new, shiny box and 6 killer games in the first 12mths and Xbox would be back in contention.
I believe this. I just don't believe MS can bring 6 killer exclusives in 12 months. To be fair, that would be a tall order for any of the big three.

Are people still talking about a next-gen Xbox as if Microsoft would be competing directly with Sony? Lol. Give it up. That dream died when Satya & Brad took over for Spencer, Bond and Booty. And that takeover (figuratively speaking) has happened.

If Microsoft launches in 2026, it isn't to beat PlayStation to the punch. They're probably going to start with a handheld, and will already have to contend with the Switch 2, (likely) Steam Deck 2 and a PS Portal 2/PS4 Portable. Maybe they also launch a new home system around that time too, but again it's not going to be to "beat PlayStation". They have given up on that aspiration. In fact the only thing that can really dismantle PlayStation now is hubris (which would allow indirect competitors like Nintendo and Steam to quickly take advantage).

New Xbox hardware is going to focus on achieving two goals. 1: to retain as many core Xbox users as possible within the hardware ecosystem, and 2: entice PC gamers who want a more console-like experience and are in the market to upgrade, to buy an Xbox device serving their needs. Point #1 would cover hardcore and core enthusiasts who want "power" but in the confines of what a console would typically bring, while Point #2 covers a large swath of PC gamers, as most aren't rocking 4090s or 4080s, or i9-tier CPUs, but could have increasingly outdated low-end hardware in need of a modest & affordable upgrade. There are also some among those who would prefer the stability and ease-of-use of a console.

Those would be the primary target demographics for some future Xbox hardware (including the rumored handheld), and both are smaller than the primary target demographics of PlayStation and Nintendo. However, it's obvious at least someone at Microsoft/Xbox feel it could be a market worth catering to, otherwise there'd be zero talk about future Xbox hardware whatsoever.

Most likely, they're going to start with the handheld, then a console-like device. If MS were smart they'd completely gut Game Pass as it currently is, and utilize that as a way to monetize the non-Xbox storefronts they want to bring to the device(s), while leaving Day 1 for demos & extended trails of 1P releases, otherwise using the service for legacy software. The model simply doesn't work otherwise. So, if someone wants to access Steam through their Xbox (it needs to be a native app with same permissions and level of control as the Xbox Store has), they get it for $3/month or $5/month through some Game Pass tier that comes with other perks. Something like that.

And, maybe that way, instead of some Xbox console-like box with PS6-like performance (as an example) selling for $799, they can sell it for $699 or even a tad less, still get some profit on the hardware upfront, and cover some of the potential hit in people buying their games from non-Xbox storefronts on the device. And that is probably going to be more of how they would tackle it: bringing PC-like openness and customization options to a console-like device. Bring some form of the Windows Store to the devices and let users access whitelisted apps & programs through it they can download on their hardware, like they would a PC.

Actually that idea of having more PC-like openness and stuff, is what I think Sony should be doing for PlayStation going forward, too. But in Sony's case it's a bit different; I don't think they need things like modular hardware upgrades or allowing Steam on PS to act as selling points. But they do (IMO) need to make the PS experience more competitive with Steam when it comes to integrated community features, transparent game engagement & tracking metrics/data, a better way of handling Early Access, etc. And maybe make certain non-essential parts of the hardware modular, like they already have the disc drive. That way users who want say extra USB ports or a higher-speed HDMI port can just buy those additional peripherals/components.

But anyway, back to Xbox...

One thing Microsoft aren't going to do, is suddenly start making exclusives for the next generation of Xbox hardware. At the very least their PC Day 1 support is here to stay, and they will probably make changes to Xbox OS so that builds for Xbox and Windows are even easier to manage between the two. I guess something to the point, where they can integrate any Windows functions that applications like Steam would need on PC, but aren't currently needed for Xbox versions of games, and provide them as extended features of Xbox OS going forward. That way devs don't "really" have to compile Xbox-specific builds of games to run on an Xbox device. Microsoft would probably need to also do this for whitelisted apps/programs too.

Good thing on that front is, they already kind of do this (AFAIK) for emulators like RetroArch, though you have to set your Xbox into Developer Mode to install and run those programs. In practice, with future Xbox hardware you could just run that type of stuff in normal mode; no switching needed. Back to the games stuff; there might be a couple of "incidental" "Xbox exclusives" here and there going forward, but those would be the Flight Sim type of games, and only "Xbox exclusive" in the sense of if someone were still wanting to view Xbox as a traditional console versus PlayStation. Those types of games wouldn't be the norm though, PS/other platform versions would surely come in due time, and the vast majority of MS games would be Day 1 on basically all platforms anyhow.

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken they have stated they will be releasing console(s). My speculation:

-Most likely a handheld
-Drastically reducing the price of series X|S
-External UHD-Blu Ray Disk
-OEM's to make their own console(s) meeting minimum specifications (ex: RAM, APU, SSD, Wifi7, Bluetooth 5.3, Raytracing, etc)
-ARM tanks in performance when trying to emulate x86 games, they need to have SDK's with the assistance of AI that quickly converts x86 to native ARM.
-Need to update game engines and API's that make native x86 and ARM code at same time.

2 years until release is plenty of time to experiment. IMO, series X is the most well balanced console in terms of tech performance and they need to squeeze as much performance as they can until next gen. Make more triple AAA games MS and series X will hold its own ground.

If I am not mistaken they have stated they will be releasing console(s). My speculation:

-Most likely a handheld

Yeah, seems like it

-Drastically reducing the price of series X|S

Dunno about that. In fact MS are more likely to discontinue the Series S & X altogether than cut the price. They lose money on the hardware already, and wouldn't want to take further losses.

The only way they drastically cut the prices on them is to liquidate remaining stock, and clear way for new hardware. But they could be better served just buying back all the unsold inventory. That way those who might've wanted a Series S or X could potentially be in the market for newer MS hardware instead.

-External UHD-Blu Ray Disk

Yeah

-OEM's to make their own console(s) meeting minimum specifications (ex: RAM, APU, SSD, Wifi7, Bluetooth 5.3, Raytracing, etc)

50/50 on this. I think they could do it, but it may not be how some of us have been thinking for a while i.e companies like Dell or HP making variants. I think MS might just strike very specific deals with 3P like SEGA to make their own variant hardware with UI customizations.

For sake of simplicity probably better to limit it to just a couple of 3P licensing partners than have the entire swath of OEMs making product variants that could end up confusing the market.

-ARM tanks in performance when trying to emulate x86 games, they need to have SDK's with the assistance of AI that quickly converts x86 to native ARM.

If the handheld is real there's a good chance that is using ARM.

-Need to update game engines and API's that make native x86 and ARM code at same time.

Gonna require a lot of work but that's par for the course. Could also go for a 2-in-1 and improve some aspects of Windows compatibility on ARM.

2 years until release is plenty of time to experiment. IMO, series X is the most well balanced console in terms of tech performance and they need to squeeze as much performance as they can until next gen. Make more triple AAA games MS and series X will hold its own ground.

Nah I would not say that 😂. PS5 is doing better on that front outside of some QOL quirks like no system-level VRR.

I believe this. I just don't believe MS can bring 6 killer exclusives in 12 months. To be fair, that would be a tall order for any of the big three.
Yep. That kind of thing was possible back in the 1990's, but that is literally a lifetime ago for many people here. That was how Nintendo managed to make games for both Gameboy and SNES, but can't do that now.

Why? They can't make games that even take advantage of our current hardware. Let alone enough compelling single player games. A new console for cod and fortnite gaas people who are happy playing wherever... I doubt it, it would be foolish. It feels like the ps5/xbx were released a year ago, with the covid shortages and slow trickle of games.

phant0m

I assume with feature more shitty AMD graphics hardware that will spend it's life getting cuck'd by Nvidia features with a card that released 2 months earlier?

Last edited:

Raven77

Why is this so frigging hard to believe? It's over 2.5 YEARS from now. I would fully expect the next Xbox to be out by then and even the PS6 to either be already released or launching soon after I'm 2027.

And COD is often a launch game for consoles.

There won't be new hardware for xbox. That ship has sailed. They have already started transitioning to 3rd party full time.

New hardware requires R&D, aka time and money. They are closing studios left and right to stop the bleeding and you think they will waste R&D on a new product? A handheld will be a stupid decision because the market has no shortage of competitors. Furthermore, it'll be very difficult for them to offer anything that's competitively priced without losing money. They are in no position to take that kind of loss. If they go the high performance route, it will be very expensive thus no mass appeal.

Most importantly, their first party titles are pathetic. They went all in this gen telling people to not buy any games, just gamepass. Why would anyone buy any new hardware from them?

Astray

Very weird statement imo, a $1000 device needs to do more than hold its own against a device half the price. Cracking 4 digits for a console is a significant pricing milestone (just look what happened when Sony announced PS3 initial pricing).

If they're counting on raw power alone to create a market then they are sorely mistaken imo.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Very weird statement imo, a $1000 device needs to do more than hold its own against a device half the price. Cracking 4 digits for a console is a significant pricing milestone (just look what happened when Sony announced PS3 initial pricing).

If they're counting on raw power alone to create a market then they are sorely mistaken imo.
Weird statement IF the other system comes out 2 maybe 3 years later?

Maybe

Anyhow have relayed what I have heard and nothing against your post and nothing related to here in the least but for external reasons I wont talk about nextbox any further until we get something official

Astray

Weird statement IF the other system comes out 2 maybe 3 years later?

Maybe

Anyhow have relayed what I have heard and nothing against your post and nothing related to here in the least but for external reasons I wont talk about nextbox any further until we get something official
Pls don't feel like I'm shooting the messenger, I appreciate the insight and info, but I just have doubts over the new business plan.

Asking for a grand for a console is a rubicon moment, because it's twice the price of what a console costs today.

I don't think what I'm saying is weird, it's essentially like saying a 4090 should compete more than decently with a 5080. The power gap between the two devices needs to be favorable to the more expensive device, otherwise consumers will just wait for PS6 or Switch 3 or whatever.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Pls don't feel like I'm shooting the messenger, I appreciate the insight and info, but I just have doubts over the new business plan.

Asking for a grand for a console is a rubicon moment, because it's twice the price of what a console costs today.

I don't think what I'm saying is weird, it's essentially like saying a 4090 should compete more than decently with a 5080. The power gap between the two devices needs to be favorable to the more expensive device, otherwise consumers will just wait for PS6 or Switch 3 or whatever.
Its 100% nothing against anything anyone has said here, was just told over the weekend to be a little more quiet on this subject

I think it's going to be a niche device, no question because of the price. However, it's really not that crazy. This gen I spent 1300 on consoles (XSS, XSX, PS5), and the price on all 3 went up after I bought them. Then if you go online on PS5 for 7 years that another 560. Even a console gamer with 1 system and 1 low tier sub to get online is at about $1000 for the gen. Not everyone is going to be okay paying more up front, but I think it'll find a small audience that sees some value there.

Even if the device is 1500 with no paid online, I'd probably be saving money compared to this gen.

Not counting Switch since it's not on PC. I'll still get a Switch 2.

Last edited:

Bond007

Easy pass.
Try to fuck us by bringing in a new generation because they have failed.

With regards to the price discussion. 1K is dead on arrival for the masses, niche or not - especially when there would be a cheaper alternative. On top of a weak Xbox current plan and trajctory.
Shit, id buy a 1K PS5 box- but their message is clear and their games even more secure. It wouldn't survive either.

Last edited:

Inuteu

Everything will be back compat so Im in

just make a version for us that dont want to make all old discs useless

DKPOWPOW

Lost Planet, Mass Effect and Bioshock were there first and best as well. That circumstance is never going to repeat itself.

Edit: oh and that RPG from that guy that made Heart of Darkness and Blood Omen: Legacy Of Kain, that ended banned from GAF XDDD Silicon Knights! Those were the guys. I don’t remember the RPG but there was a “for” or “against” campaign in GAF with a lot of funny gifs.
Too Human. Never played it, but I remember the hype for it back in the day. Then all the backlash after.
Blah blah blah. No shit there is competition and Xbox is sucking ass now, but what does not releasing until PS6 do for them? That is the alternative isn't it? Are you suggesting they just stop trying and lay everyone off now? 6 years after the last one is not even that short of a span. Switch was just over 4 years after WiiU flopped.

In theory they should be able to launch with a few of the games they promised for Series back in 2020 that still haven't released and then show a few more games that might drop before 2030. Couple that to a portable system with shit specs and terrible battery life and they are in a great position to hype their few remaining fans up. I almost can't see them not doing this plus adding a tier to gamepass for AAA day 1. And in 2027 when PS6 is revealed to drop in 2028, they can start closing every studio that doesn't knock it out of the park on their failing platform.
Honestly, I don't see a successful path for them as a typical console maker anymore. I think it's become apparent that their main goal and focus is to become a strongarm publisher and the Netflix of gaming.

They don't need a console for that, all they need is a little streaming box or app. Nintendo and Sony will probably never let them have GamePass on their consoles.

A little portable Xbox is cute in theory, but what's gonna be the difference between that and your Phone when M$ demands parity for Game pass releases? There is no future there with no exclusive games, they backed themselves into this corner.
I have been playing games long enough to know that the final two years of a console's life is when the BEST games come out for it. So I am prepared to say, sight unseen, that PS5 will be much more popular right before PS6's announcement that you think. The whole point is to give the old console a good sendoff of great games, so customers can trust to buy the next console.

Microsoft's habit of abandoning their console for its next upgrade is what gave people a bad taste in their mouths.
M$ didn't abandon the One, in fact I'd say part of their failure this generation was because they refused to let it go. Halo Infinite was made for it, a large majority of the most exciting games in the first 2 years of the Series life were also on X1.

Whereas with 360 they went all in, they didn't let the OG Xbox hold them back from making great games only for 360.

3rd parties abandoned X1, while still continuing to release games on PS4.
the team behind 360 is long gone. I feel people forget that companies arent the same after some years passed and people move on.
Yeah but we've seen both Sony and Nintendo take a look at their past successes and failures and attempt to learn from them.

If M$ is intending to release another console that isn't some whack PC-lite box... then you'd think they would go back and see how and when they got things right.

djjinx2

$1,000 console what the hell is that ? Consumers will need a power plant :messenger_grimmacing_ not even the 3DO was that absurd.
pleaseeeee Microsoft do it pleaseeeeeee.

_121302481_micgreta.jpg

No one is even talking traditional console for that money, but an Xbox PC Hybrid.

That's like saying $1000 PC what the hell is that.

Actually it could be a great middle ground if MS can leverage great value for money

Top Bottom