• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Crossdressing and Drag Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subbed.

I guess I'm a part-time crossdresser...? Never really discussed it before - all hush-hush for various reasons. But, damn, do fully-fashioned nylons make my legs look good, he-he! And when you make your eyes all smokey...

I blame school plays, my sister and Channel 4...

Too scared to try tucking - what if the little fellas get, er, stuck?! Eek.

Aye, can identify with this... Well, maybe not having to guess. It happens enough to know.

Plus, the tucking just sounds weird. Just less tight clothes there for me thanks.

Five

Banned
In my ~4 years of cross dressing, I've never made much of a concerted effort to tuck my junk. I just wear panties the same as I would men's briefs.

You know, there are many who would fit in each of the subcategories listed in the OP and not find any appreciation to the other "styles" but outright be vindictive to them as well much to my surprise. In fact, a few transgendered people I have met outright hate crossdressers. I even witnessed a fight between them. I still do not understand it.

That makes sense. I think the different groups all have a different reason for cross dressing, so it's getting angry with the why, not the what.

Kater

Banned
XqZpgY9.jpg

5bwu73k.jpg

Was browsing the webs for a bit and found some cute clothes. :3

I also found a picture of some Pop singer called Yohio in a Lolita-like costume. Very convincing. :)
87b5e1c1332540a845287065ca2081bc.jpg

Shadownet

Banned
I don't know anything about cross dressing. But I stumbled in here by accident. Learned quite a bit. Thank you for the information. It's always nice to learn something new about the world.

Platy

I have 2 phylosofical questions for people here :

1) What you guys think about Carmem Carrera ? Does she still can be considered a Drag Queen even being a woman or does she enter in a more Burlesque act ?

2) Using a girl as an avatar is some small form of crossdressing ? xD

Kater

Banned

1) What you guys think about Carmem Carrera ? Does she still can be considered a Drag Queen even being a woman or does she enter in a more Burlesque act ?

Phylosofical questions, huh? :p

1) I don't really know much about her. Well, I saw one photo of her today somewhere on imgur but that's about it. I'll look her up on wikipedia though.

2) That would mean that a huge majority of GAF are crossdressers. :p

Five

Banned

I think she's just a showgirl.

I wouldn't consider using a female avatar as cross dressing, although I think the desire to use one often stems from the same place as the desire to cross dress. Not always, but certainly some of the time. Personally, the character in my avatar is from a game that I'm working on, but yet the reason I'm working on a game with a female protagonist is because I prefer playing as females given the choice.

mantidor

While I personally think labeling is going just a bit overboard at this point, we are down this rabbit hole already, so...Carmen would still fall in the drag umbrella, and we have bio/faux queens as a category of ciswomen doing drag, then.... Carmen would be a trans/realness queen? (god I'm making up terms now).

I think everything falls into the same thing, we could even say drag acts are burlesque by themselves whether people performing are men or women.

As for number two, totally. It's really mild of course but by definition it is. People sometimes argue that they just like to look at people they consider attractive. Precisely. As mentioned, cross dressing is mostly straight men, and there's a reason for that.

Wiki seems to list her as a burlesque/show girl act.
However, if Carmen wants to identify as a trans drag queen I think she is perfectly within her right.
Especially when you consider that straight cis-girls are "allowed" to do drag, which is crazy considering that their connection to the performance art is no where near as deep and rich as the relationship between trans women and Drag.

As for question #2 I'd say it depends on the person.
I definitely use female avatars as a form of CDing; it makes me feel empowered and feminine.
UuU

Edit:
Nice OT and the art banner is Super cute

Thank you! :D

I just watched the whole video and it was very fun and heart-warming, well, and
then there was a dark twist right at the end.

Poor Venus...she was so young. Imagine how many other unlucky trans women met that fate back the 80s (Arguably the most hostile era for LGBT people thanks to the aids crisis)

hidys

1. Depends on how she identifies.

2. Don't know. But I once had Eddie Izzard in drag as my avatar. Does THAT count as cross-dressing?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Paris Is Burning is excellent.

It's incredible, isn't it? One of those really eye-opening moments for me- was watching the performative nature of just about all gender expression writ large.

That and reading Helene Cixous and Judith Butler made my little student brain explode.

I tend to think of drag as playing with gender through aesthetics. I don't really identify with either gender when it comes to my personality, so whenever I try to play up either my masculinity or my femininity through clothing/makeup/body language I consider both to be me in drag.

That's just my definition though, of course.

Kater

Banned
Poor Venus...she was so young. Imagine how many other unlucky trans women met that fate back the 80s (Arguably the most hostile era for LGBT people thanks to the aids crisis)
I was quite angry when I heard that. But then I remembered that this was, as you said, in the worst era regarding LGBTQI rights in recent memory.

But a very interesting documentary nonetheless and everyone in the LGBTQIA spectrum should watch it. And the haters too, to challenge their own limited worldviews. ;D

bros-and-sis.gif

Drag Kings you say??
Have some Landon Cider:
p205047683-3.jpg

tumblr_n0hi3gHfkC1sj6ssno3_400.jpg

tumblr_mj296sRwQd1r9l1gwo3_1280.jpg

Edit:
Here's today's dose of high glamor.

Mark my words, some animator is going to make an iconic villain out of Mathu one day.
:p
She's so damn fierce.

Edit:
I just want to say that Drag Kings have SERIOUS problems of creativity.

I never saw a REALLY caricature of masculinity Drag King .... He-Man meets Sabotage video caricature.

I don't think kings lack creativity, I think that it's just harder for them to deviate from "traditional" masculinity thanks to it's rigidness.

Also, I imagine it would be hard for a female bodied individual to recreate he-man or some other giant muscle-bound hero without wearing some sort of light, comfortable, and high quality suit that can fake big muscles inside and outside of clothes.

Idk I'm quite naive when it comes to Kings (so it's quite possible that there are muscle padding techniques that I'm ignorant to)...it's a lot harder to follow their scene since they are largely ignored by almost everybody who isn't an incredibly social lesbian.

The first two pictures actually remind me a lot of Johnny Depp.

Impressive work!

Yeah he's awesome, I adore his looks. That 1950s greaser-look is hot.

I'd like to see that, yeah. :D

Same here.
Personally though, I think it would be incredibly daring and much more refreshing to see a Mathu-like character be something other than a "sissy villain".
Maybe an Obi-Wan/Gandalf/wise mentor character; something like that would really work with her bearded genderfuck look.

Sai-kun

Banned
Fabulous!

I4wlje7.jpg

I was introduced to the drag community through an open stage opportunity at my local rainbow district club. You bring two musical tracks and your talents an hour before the lights go on and it is literally open in every way. I perform interpretive dance numbers with some elements of cross dressing in my costumes, but no makeup or extraneous additions to make myself appear feminine. All but one of the other performers are drag queens/kings, about 80/20.

Really interesting and fantastic people, all of them driven to create and perform with widespread intention and motivation. I love the presentation and the story that's told of embracing change and bearing down at a point of transition, seeing it through to the other side, instead of shying away from it. Life is all about our reactions to adverse circumstances. These performers have turned difficulties that most people could not imagine facing into beautiful statements that they utterly own. It is a wonderful sight to behold.

For anyone who is interested in a brief history of sorts, which I would assume to be everyone who has opened this thread, please take the time to watch Paris Is Burning. It is one of the most powerful films I have ever seen.

REALNESS

This is how I wanna dress every day during the summer.

Kater

Banned
Yeah he's awesome, I adore his looks. That 1950s greaser-look is hot.
I wish more people would actually dress like that again. Well, at least we are kinda getting there in terms of hair styles. :)

Same here.
Personally though, I think it would be incredibly daring and much more refreshing to see a Mathu-like character be something other than a "sissy villain".
Maybe an Obi-Wan/Gandalf/wise mentor character; something like that would really work with her bearded genderfuck look.
What about Ivankov? Drag queen with the ability to change genders at will and one of the commanders of an revolutionary army in One Piece.

Or Bentham? Crossdressing character who first is an enemy but later on becomes an ally of the protagonist. One Piece)

Besides One Piece there is actually really not that many shows/movies with positive representation of CD or Drag queens/kings as I've just found out after searching the internet for an hour or so. :/

Z..

I didn't know Skag/Bear or Genderfuck drag was a thing, but I'm loving it.

That Mathu guy is awesome.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Nothin' wrong with being attracted to androgynous, fishy, or uber-fem queens and CDs fellas; it's actually a quite common and healthy attraction among straight men.

There are straight girls attracted to CD fellas, for that matter.

Wink wink nudge nudge. ;)

Well, it's good to know if I ever were looking for someone else again I just need to flutter my eyelashes in GAF's direction. Or at least take me shopping.

Besides One Piece there is actually really not that many shows/movies with positive representation of CD or Drag queens/kings as I've just found out after searching the internet for an hour or so. :/

Yep.
MtF CDs and DQs are lucky just to get a "wholesome crossdresser" depiction in the media (but afaik, it's rare for that kind of CD character to actually enjoy their femininity. These kinds of "good"/benevolent/neutral characters are usually just CDing because the plot says so. In the case of DQs...it's always because they're the sassy magical queer character)
Most of the time CDs and DQs are depicted as "creepy crossdressers". Their crossdressing is always used as a way to make them seem weird, or even gross to cisnormative audiences; it's also commonly used as a way to make a villain seem more depraved, frighting, and perverted.

Edit: Also, kings and female CDs are generally completely ignored by the media...I'm pretty sure we're all aware of why this is.
:/
There are straight girls attracted to CD fellas, for that matter.

Wink wink nudge nudge. ;)

Hehehe
Totally.
There are a lot of straight, bi, and gay girls who are attracted to pretty CDs and DQs.
Honestly, it's a healthy attraction for anybody to have.
I was only addressing straight boys because when they express their attraction to CDs there is generally a much more negative reaction that follows from some of their peers, family members, and friends.
That negative reaction can cause some of them to feel a lot of guilt, and they can end up taking that out their anger on some poor girly boy they picked up on a night out.

I bave never met a girl irl who openly admitted to any attraction to CDs. One outright reacted the wrong way and took offense to the question.

I guess it's one of those things that doesn't really come up in conversation much, to a point where people would actually be honest. Which probably requires seeing someone crossdressing at the time, but knowing in the first place would make it more likely to happen. :p

Kater

Banned
I read a lot of about gay guys not being all that drawn to feminine boys. I am the living proof that this is untrue. Haha

I am still looking for the right coloured lipstick though, and some cute girly clothes (like the ones I posted before). But I don't know what the size numbers on the clothes even are about, they are totally cryptic stuff to me. ヘ(;´Д`ヘ)

Five

Banned
I read a lot of about gay guys not being all that drawn to feminine boys. I am the living proof that this is untrue. Haha

I am still looking for the right coloured lipstick though, and some cute girly clothes (like the ones I posted before). But I don't know what the size numbers on the clothes even are about, they are totally cryptic stuff to me. ヘ(;´Д`ヘ)

That's what size charts and going to physical stores is for! :p

Depending on which store you go to, you might be surprised at how accommodating attendants can be with CDs.

Kater

Banned
That's what size charts and going to physical stores is for! :p

Depending on which store you go to, you might be surprised at how accommodating attendants can be with CDs.

I thought about just ordering clothes from Amazon or directly from the clothing producers site but these damn charts are too confusing.
Maybe I try to get some clothes at H&M. I probably need a shot of Vodka first to get some courage though. :(

Five

Banned
I thought about just ordering clothes from Amazon or directly from the clothing producers site but these damn charts are too confusing.
Maybe I try to get some clothes at H&M. I probably need a shot of Vodka first to get some courage though. :(

Don't shop online if you're not sure what's going to fit. You can end up wasting a lot of money that way, and it does little in the way of bolstering confidence.

I remember my first time shopping on the wrong side of the store, about four years ago. I spent the whole time thinking What the fuck am I doing here? Everyone's looking at me! They know I don't belong! But you don't have to be shopping for yourself, especially around Valentine's day. I've lost count of how many times I got asked "shopping for your girlfriend?"

At some point, everything just clicked and suddenly it didn't phase me to shop for female clothes for myself.

Kater

Banned
Don't shop online if you're not sure what's going to fit. You can end up wasting a lot of money that way, and it does little in the way of bolstering confidence.

I remember my first time shopping on the wrong side of the store, about four years ago. I spent the whole time thinking What the fuck am I doing here? Everyone's looking at me! They know I don't belong! But you don't have to be shopping for yourself, especially around Valentine's day. I've lost count of how many times I got asked "shopping for your girlfriend?"

At some point, everything just clicked and suddenly it didn't phase me to shop for female clothes for myself.
That's the way I felt when buying some lipstick. :/

Valentine's Day is already over though, a couple of months now.

I will try to get something like this tomorrow.

hmprod

That outfit is so good. :D

I will wait to get some underwear until Christmas though, maybe they don't suspect me as being a pervert (I'm really not, just a really feminine guy) then.

Yeah.
My first self bought dress (a pink backless mini) was bought online on a whim with no real understanding of how women's wear actually fits on me (Fresh outta HS Grey thought,"hmmm...I got a credit card...I'm a boy and I'm thick...I'll get a large/L because it'sprettyandIwantit! :D") I kind of lucked up because mini dresses are generally very form fitting.
I've been dressing and experimenting with makeup since I was a young boy (like most CDs), but we don't usually get to experiment in the same way that girls do. Most of us are never really prepared for the inconsistent sizing in women's wear.
If you can muster up the courage to go to a physical store by yourself or with an accepting friend (I'd recommend the latter)you should do it.

I will wait to get some underwear until Christmas though, maybe they don't suspect me as being a pervert (I'm really not, just a really feminine guy) then.

Pssh, just go for it.

I know, much easier said than done, sounds a bit patronising but best advice I can give. Obviously, it's probably normal to go with other items of clothes first and build up getting used to it. But figuring out your size (for me, knowing I'm slim, borrowing stuff and figuring it out, trial and error to the point I think I know), and then buying in store is a fairly cool step to do. Picking up clothes in store, feeling the fabric, getting a sense of size, it's really useful. I get the whole holiday time thing for buying stuff, but then realistically you could be getting a present at any point of year. Sure, go when it's quieter to feel more comfortable, but don't let those fears like, actually stop you. Besides, depending on what stores you're going to for stuff like underwear, any good store won't make you feel awkward and will be used to people buying for partners. Or "for partners". :p

Kater

Banned
Pssh, just go for it.

I know, much easier said than done, sounds a bit patronising but best advice I can give. Obviously, it's probably normal to go with other items of clothes first and build up getting used to it. But figuring out your size (for me, knowing I'm slim, borrowing stuff and figuring it out, trial and error to the point I think I know), and then buying in store is a fairly cool step to do. Picking up clothes in store, feeling the fabric, getting a sense of size, it's really useful. I get the whole holiday time thing for buying stuff, but then realistically you could be getting a present at any point of year. Sure, go when it's quieter to feel more comfortable, but don't let those fears like, actually stop you. Besides, depending on what stores you're going to for stuff like underwear, any good store won't make you feel awkward and will be used to people buying for partners. Or "for partners". :p
That's some good advice. Thank you. :)

Oh, and I don't fear the staff ridiculing me when I stand at the counter with some pullover for woman or something but the other customers' judging eyes, heh. (╯•﹏•╰)

Oh, and I don't fear the staff ridiculing me when I stand at the counter with some pullover for woman or something but the other customers' judging eyes, heh. (╯•﹏•╰)
As long as they don't say anything, stay confident and who gives a shit about you. Besides, it could always just be a gift for a girl.

Who just happens to be you on weekends.

I'm not saying that you won't encounter a nasty bigot or even a very curious looky-loo, but from what I've heard (from other CDs and DQs who aren't seamstresses/online shoppers) most of the customers (usually women/girls, of course) won't pay too much mind to you while you're handling your business. Especially if you fit the pretty feminine gay boy archetype that people have of queer men.

Edit: Also, you should never have to worry about the staff. They're basically obligated to help you; they don't want to get in trouble or be sued for discrimination.

Pete Rock

Hay gurl, haaay!
This is how I wanna dress every day during the summer.
^.^ I can't believe it's already coming to a close! If you haven't raged a tutu this year, better get on it. Vegas Pride was very recent, would have been a great opportunity. I also want to dress that way every day!!!

I am kind of to the point where I perceive all conventional clothes as bondage wear, but of the lamest variety. Lame to the point of "bondage" being too interesting of a collective classification to water down by comparison. I will just refer to traditional garments as "subjugation wear" instead. That sounds more appropriate.

Subjugated to a social concept of normal, which doesn't even exist. How mixed up and weird. Not my hangup, not my problem, that's what I say!

Ignoring my amateur philosophical justifications, pants just rub me the wrong way in general. Literally. I am going to be really sad when winter comes around again and I have to wear fleece lined jeans that make me look like a farmer :_:

I have been thinking of making a stage costume modeled after Bridget from Guilty Gear. Swapping the blue fabric for something like this, skewing it more psychedelic shaman less ninja priest. I just love his character design! So beautiful!

Five

Banned
If you're concerned about other shoppers in the store, try thinking about what would happen were the roles reversed: you're a male in the men's section and see a female rifling through the clothes. You probably don't give it a second thought, or quickly rationalize it. Most women will do exactly the same thing to you.

Ignoring my amateur philosophical justifications, pants just rub me the wrong way in general. Literally. I am going to be really sad when winter comes around again and I have to wear fleece lined jeans that make me look like a farmer :_:

That's why you move to somewhere like California where we laugh at the idea of winter!
I wore skinny jeans all summer long.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I am kind of to the point where I perceive all conventional clothes as bondage wear, but of the lamest variety. Lame to the point of "bondage" being too interesting of a collective classification to water down by comparison. I will just refer to traditional garments as "subjugation wear" instead. That sounds more appropriate.

I feel this way. Anything that deviates from pyjamas is unnatural.

That might not be quite the point you're making.

Kater

Banned
Thanks you for boosting my confidence. And yes, Abe Bly, you are completely right in that those two things are basically the same. (Women/Girls shopping in the Men/Boys section of a store)

I have been thinking of making a stage costume modeled after Bridget from Guilty Gear. Swapping the blue fabric for something like this, skewing it more psychedelic shaman less ninja priest. I just love his character design! So beautiful!
The pic doesn't show up for me. :(

In addition to being a shoe queen, I'm also a nail queen!

I love stiletto nails, they're so femme and...kind of badass; they're almost like fabulous eagle talons.
I need to invest in a few more acrylics in this style.

Edit: Be warned if you're new to wearing long fake nails, they're a bit impractical for beginners.
However (as with most things), you get used to them fairly quickly. After wearing some for a good long while I remember performing some actions in a very dainty manner; it made me feel quite feminine and they looked great.

Rayis

Can I just say how much life Miles Jai gives me

He's seriously fabulous and his style of dress is hella cute, I just love everything he wears and his make up is on point and his wigs are fantastic always, he doesn't do drag (though he's been in drag before) but he basically just wears feminine clothes all the time and looks fantastic and is so confident, He's such an inspiration to me.

Can I just say how much life Miles Jai gives me

He's seriously fabulous and his style of dress is hella cute, I just love everything he wears and his make up is on point and his wigs are fantastic always, he doesn't do drag (though he's been in drag before) but he basically just wears feminine clothes all the time and looks fantastic and is so confident, He's such an inspiration to me.

Gurl, I love me some Miles Jai!
I got introduced to her through this Transfashionable episode
It's also where I first got introduced to the lovely miss Courtney Act and her uber-fishy look.
I seriously thought Court was a biological woman in this video; I didn't even make the connection between her and Shane for some reason.

Anyways, the outfits in Miles' fashion haul video are adorable. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom