• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The order 1886: 40 minutes gameplay presentation for the press tomorrow !

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOHIPEET

Correct me if I'm wrong, but measured by the influence it makes on gaming, shouldn't GAF be considered press?

Desperation? Desperation.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Correct me if I'm wrong, but measured by the influence it makes on gaming, shouldn't GAF be considered press?

Yes, connected gamers make the gaming press obsolete.

Especially when every headline these days comes from a forum topic or twitter post.

Cut out the middle-man.

Sotha_Sil

Sure, i also enjoy corridor based games, but they are one run games, very safe, very simple experiences and thats fine in limited doses.
Where are games like Dishonored, Mass Effect, Path of Exile, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Dragon Dogma or DayZ from Microsoft or Sony?
They are wasting tons of talented developers time on making 7-10h experiences, with big production values and no depth.

I have to say that I agree with this. Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but games like Uncharted and God of War do absolutely nothing for me. I need something more substantial. Fortunately, third party developers have me covered.

I'm holding onto hope that The Order tries to do more with the formula than Gears of War or Uncharted. Binary Domain tried to add some things, but they didn't take it very far. Hopefully, RAD does.

DieH@rd

Banned

No, we are unaffiliated public forum that is full of CONSUMERS. We don't get early access because out voices cannot be bought, and we often cannot handle "unfinished" content.

KKRT00

What constitutes "safe" for you? To not have deep gameplay mechanics? Journey, The Unfinished Swan and Beyond are safe games? Really? Just because a game is cinematic and limited in terms of gameplay doesn't even remotely make it safe. I would not even say they are "safe" in terms of game design, they are just different.
Indie, indie and practically a movie. I can agree that last one is not safe, because it was very expensive and its not a shooter, but its cinematic and has hardly any gameplay. Its very safe from marketing standpoint.

---
How many open world games you can play in a year.....it's a market with limited quota.
And please don't completely ignore my last sentence.

What last sentence? About big companies? You could make 3 games out of God of War 3 budget and companies i wrote about are not smaller.
At least 50% of all of my examples were not open world games.

KOHIPEET

No, we are unaffiliated public forum that is full of CONSUMERS. We don't get early access because out voices cannot be bought, and we often cannot handle "unfinished" content.

I just want to see that footage so badly, I seem to grasp every chance to make it a reality.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm just hoping it has more depth to it than just being a shooter. The last of us has more depth than the average shooter with stealth and crafting/scavenging mechanics. The order looks like just a straight up shooter, but I could be wrong.

Ok, I see what you mean now. I'm not too bothered to be honest. I just want a game with true context and not just a tacked on story as an excuse for pointless shooting.

S.W.

What last sentence? About big companies? You could make 3 games out of God of War 3 budget and companies i wrote about are not smaller.
At least 50% of all of my examples were not open world games.

Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls were definitely commercially successful according to this logic of choices=depth=better. Why can't people understand bigger the companies the fewer risks they are allowed to take. Oh and there are different types of games too.

That one.
Different games for different consumers. For example people can whine about nintendo's design philosophy all day and not changing their marketing strad, but that's for the target audience they tried to hit since 1982. You can't justify big publishers not taking risk because they don't make the type of games you feel like to play.

Loudninja

I'm just hoping it has more depth to it than just being a shooter. The last of us has more depth than the average shooter with stealth and crafting/scavenging mechanics. The order looks like just a straight up shooter, but I could be wrong.
Its not.
"While the focus is on third-person gunplay combat, The Order sometimes pulls back for slower paced moments of investigation and exploration."
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=693724

Chobel

OH YEAH!!!

9zAh3sV.gif

The fuck?!

Saved

Tanzen

Hi everyone, long time I didn't write here :)

First of all, thanks to the guy that said "assholes" to the members of the press that do their job and describe what they have seen in an alpha stage ;D

Joking aside, I'm confident I can tell you the embargo date (or window) tomorrow, it's a common use to show a game first to the press, because they can understand (or not, sometimes ;)) the potential of the game even if the game it's not finished and the gameplay shown has bugs and stuff like that.
The developer doesn't have to spend time to make a fancy video for us , plus there is usually a presentation explaining the main aspects of the game in detail with just slides .

Having said that, I will have a gameplay broll to make a long video preview for our readers (so other magazines) and I'm sure that Sony will release a couple of trailers before the embargo, one of them showing the gameplay ;)

Last but not least, if you want me to ask some specific questions to the developers, send me a Tweet (@Tanzen) and I'll try to do my best during my interview slot.

Stay cool and let's see if the game lives up to the hype it created!

First of all, thanks to the guy that said "assholes" to the members of the press that do their job and describe what they have seen in an alpha stage ;D

Joking aside, I'm confident I can tell you the embargo date (or window) tomorrow, it's a common use to show a game first to the press, because they can understand (or not, sometimes ;)) the potential of the game even if the game it's not finished and the gameplay shown has bugs and stuff like that.
The developer doesn't have to spend time to make a fancy video for us , plus there is usually a presentation explaining the main aspects of the game in detail with just slides .

Having said that, I will have a gameplay broll to make a long video preview for our readers (so other magazines) and I'm sure that Sony will release a couple of trailers before the embargo, one of them showing the gameplay ;)

Last but not least, if you want me to ask some specific questions to the developers, send me a Tweet (@Tanzen) and I'll try to do my best during my interview slot.

Nice. Cant wait to hear your take on the gameplay.

Artex

Banned

Thanks Tanzen! I hope the embargo isn't long.

luca_29_bg

Thanks for the info Tanzen, so we'll have a gameplay video soon ?

viveks86

Having said that, I will have a gameplay broll to make a long video preview for our readers
(so other magazines) and I'm sure that Sony will release a couple of trailers before the embargo, one of them showing the gameplay ;)

gXSzqMa.gif

Indie, indie and practically a movie. I can agree that last one is not safe, because it was very expensive and its not a shooter, but its cinematic and has hardly any gameplay. Its very safe from marketing standpoint.
At least Journey is pretty far away from a normal Indie game. Orchestrated soundtrack, Sony funds, long development time, multiple delays and Santa Monica developing the entire engine. Also thatgamecompany wasn't just 3 people. Overall the team was probably about 40. Tearaway was developed with only 15 people at Media Molecule. Is that Indie now too? I would say pretty much nothing is independent that is entirely funded by Sony. Especially since Sony owns all the rights to these games. What about Puppeteer and Heavy Rain? The ladder almost wasn't marketed at all and Sony expected it to bomb when they signed it. So how is it safe from a marketing perspective if Sony's marketing department thought it wasn't safe?

You have a pretty narrow definition of what makes a safe game. You also seem to think that cinematic games or games with little amounts of compelling gameplay automatically sell better. Looking at the most successful games at NPD I would say that is not true at all. If anything they often bomb, because it's pretty hard to make an enjoyable game that stands mostly on its story or themes.

You also have to consider that a lot of big 3rd party games require multiple platforms to break even. Skyrim wouldn't have made a dime if it only released on PS3. Same with RDR. So you will never see Sony spending GTA money on a game, because it just doesn't make sense with the install base of just one console.

Sony takes as much risks as they can afford while allowing their teams a lot of creative freedom. Maybe they don't take risks in the genres you like, but that's ok. They sure as hell do in mine. You consider Beyond a movie. I consider it a modern adventure game. Apart from Sony no one is willing to fund them anymore in the AAA space, so I'm happy that Sony is here doing their thing.

Thanks Tanzen for your time!

No, I AM the official Journalist of NeoGAF.

Bah you impostor! Even if you where a journalist I officially handle the PS coverage for this site

clearly the PS logo badge is evidence of my claim

------------------

I really hope the embargo ends within this week

DieH@rd

Banned

Thanks.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Nah, see my examples. The only games that Sony made less safe were MAG, LBP and funded Demon Souls on PS3, other than that its all about SOE for making deep and complex games.
TLOU, Heavy Rain or Beyond were not really safe. They may not fit the definition of what you want, however. In fact, I can't see why TLOU wouldn't fit your definition, it's linear with very open approach as to how to do things (a lot of the time). I kinda think this game might be along the same lines actually.

Can't wait to see all the disappointed reactions when it's shown to be just another shooter.

edit: For the press only? Hopefully someone leaks it. Why are these guys so scared of showing gameplay?

Yeah and some of us like "just another shooter". We don't have the sophisticated taste you seem to possess

KKRT00

TLOU, Heavy Rain or Beyond were not safe in any way. They may not fit the definition of what you want, but they were not safe. In fact, I can't see why TLOU wouldn't fit your definition, it's linear with very open approach as to how to do things (a lot of the time). I kinda think this game might be along the same lines actually.

Everyone of those can marketed as basically a movie, without focusing on even one gameplay element.
Also TLOU does not have really open approach, it has less open approach in terms of gameplay than Crysis 2 for example, which i didnt include on any of my list and which i also consider safe.
And I cant look at TLOU as deep game, especially as a survival game after playing DayZ, its not even in the same league.

-------------

And what would you consider to be less "safe"?

I've put tons of examples earlier of games that were not safe at all.
The Order 1886 is actually very safe game. It has non typical setting and presentation, but everything about gameplay is very safe. Its basically Gears of War/Uncharted, its the safest hybrid for TPP game You can think of.

-----------
Ryse, man. Crytek and Microsoft took a huge gamble making it a Kinect-powered game. Then they chickened out for some reason.

Actually this is great example of what i'm talking about. Both Microsoft and Sony played safe with this one, both rejected open world action FPP RPG [think Dark Messiah of Might and Magic] named Kingdoms, Microsoft accepted 3rd person action game after a while.

Nestunt

I am kinda curious to know if the Arthurian vibes are just inspiration or if we are to expect some kind of more close connection :)

I've put tons of examples earlier of games that were not safe at all.
The Order 1886 is actually very safe game. It has non typical setting and presentation, but everything about gameplay is very safe. Its basically Gears of War/Uncharted, its the safest hybrid for TPP game You can think of.
More than half of the games you mentioned were shooters, which is just about the safest genre out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom