• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The order 1886: 40 minutes gameplay presentation for the press tomorrow !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oppo

You guys. If they released it you'd all be yelling about spoilers :)

This is good news though. Shows they have confidence in the title. I believe in Ready At Dawn.

DieH@rd

Banned
i7veL9wbPUU85.gif

iTiApmUR0g2zQ.gif

KORNdoggy

And thats a shame. Such an awesome setting wasted on corridor tps shooter ;
I really hope that both Sony and Microsoft will release some less safe games in this generation.

Like what? An open world TPS? Oh the originality.

Never understood why linear = bad for some people.

Man, this footage will pretty much tell me how excited I should be for PS4 this year. Infamous looks great but if this one is poo poo then the end of the year really starts to look dry. I have faith in RAD tho.

Wolff

They will show it soon, but for now they have to create hype to the masses who read these websites, since that's what sells games, not quality.

Anyway i'll be reading a few of those articles just to see what the game is all about. Based on the setting and all it did get my attention but it's hard to judge when they don't let you see anything.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Press viewings are a good soundboard for the devs. The internet would go nuts if they showed a unedited demo and it bugged out a couple of times. They show it to the press, find out which parts will play best with consumers and then roll those parts out.

This is bullshit. Game enthusiasts have long since become educated about games in alpha/beta form. Through kickstarters, and Steam beta releases, and EA retail releases...

It's just Sony's PR arm is a generation behind. It's funny that their game machine is so forward thinking/socially connected, yet Sony still feels the antiquated need to offer exclusives to IGN, Game Informer, and Gametrailers.

It's delayed ejaculation; no longer the way to get positive buzz going when you can get instant, global hype in the socialsphere.

40 min presentation tomorrow, we get zero actual media, but maybe an exclusive in a few weeks on IGN with a 4 page article explaining how cool everything looked.

injurai

Banned
I'm not sure why Gears has been the goto game used to dismiss The Order.

Of the TPS I have played over the years, they have been extremely diverse.

And thats a shame. Such an awesome setting wasted on corridor tps shooter ;
I really hope that both Sony and Microsoft will release some less safe games in this generation.

What? You say that like Sony hasn't already been doing that for the last few years. MS is never going to do it though, they'll keep relying on the same games until they've no other choice.

As for me, I think the game is going to be great since I like TPS and don't have an irrational hate for linear games

Corpsepyre

Banned

I don't get it either. Why do people want all their games to be open-world all of a sudden? Sometimes a tighter-paced, linear, more story-driven game works wonders.

border

This is bullshit. Game enthusiasts have long since become educated about games in alpha/beta form. Through kickstarters, and Steam beta releases, and EA retail releases...

Yeah, because nobody said anything bad about Assassin's Creed 4 when it crashed in the middle of Sony's E3 press conference. Nobody made hilarious animated GIFs of all the glitches and clipping problems in beta builds of Watch_Dogs.

Not wanting your game to become the next WALL GUY meme is hardly "antiquated" thinking.

KKRT00

Its not about linearity, its about lack of any choice or depth in gameplay.
For example Dishonored is linear, but its also very open and allows for tons experimentation.

Sure, i also enjoy corridor based games, but they are one run games, very safe, very simple experiences and thats fine in limited doses.
Where are games like Dishonored, Mass Effect, Path of Exile, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Dragon Dogma or DayZ from Microsoft or Sony?
They are wasting tons of talented developers time on making 7-10h experiences, with big production values and no depth.

Ps. Yes, i know there are exceptions like Demon Souls, LBP, Gran Turismo or Project Spark.

-----
What? You say that like Sony hasn't already been doing that for the last few years. MS is never going to do it though, they'll keep relying on the same games until they've no other choice.

As for me, I think the game is going to be great since I like TPS and don't have an irrational hate for linear games

Nah, see my examples. The only games that Sony made less safe were MAG, LBP and funded Demon Souls on PS3, other than that its all about SOE for making deep and complex games.

FourMyle

lmao first time I see this one

For example Dishonored is linear, but its also very open and allows for tons experimentation.

Sure, i also enjoy corridor based games, but they are one run games, very safe, very simple experiences and thats fine in limited doses.
Where are games like Dishonored, Mass Effect, Path of Exile, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Dragon Dogma or DayZ from Microsoft or Sony?
They are wasting tons of talented developers time on making 7-10h experiences, with big production values and no depth.

Ps. Yes, i know there are exceptions like Demon Souls, LBP, Gran Turismo or Project Spark.

Hopefully nowhere because that game is hot garbage!

p.s Dishonored was also broken garbage.

vpance

40 min presentation tomorrow, we get zero actual media, but maybe an exclusive in a few weeks on IGN with a 4 page article explaining how cool everything looked.

Nah, we'll get some delicious tweets tomorrow.

I do kind of agree with the rest of your point though. Sony PR marketing for their games can almost be nonexistent. I used to think they did that because they had no budget for it. Maybe PS4's increased success will change things.

S.W.

-----

Nah, see my examples. The only games that Sony made less safe were MAG, LBP and funded Demon Souls on PS3, other than that its all about SOE for making deep and complex games.

Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls were definitely commercially successful according to this logic of choices=depth=better. Why can't people understand bigger the companies the fewer risks they are allowed to take. Oh and there are different types of games too.

MavFan619

Banned
With so many unannounced projects from both companies it's a little too soon to cry that every game will be a cinematic TPS or rehash from last gen. Let's take it one game at a time. Also please, someone leak some Order info ;)

Moofers

Pretty excited for any news we might get out of this. I realize the idea behind doing "press only" is so everyone can prepare and release their preview stuff all at once, but I almost think a live stream straight out of Sony would be cooler. I'm really not interested in reading what the press has to say since they're such hacks most of the time. I'd rather they just let US watch the 40-min video. I don't want to slog through paragraphs of
Game Derp said:
"Sony has been looking for their answer to Gears of War for years, now they may just finally have it. This isn't your typical 3rd-person shooter. The Order 1886 brings compelling gunplay, visceral action, dynamic environments, and much more than the usual tropes you find in an overcrowded shooter market. Buzzword, buzzword, buzzword, statement about the game that can be found in previews for dozens of other games, buzzword. PRINT."

I'll take the video, thanks.

Press viewings are a good soundboard for the devs. The internet would go nuts if they showed a unedited demo and it bugged out a couple of times. They show it to the press, find out which parts will play best with consumers and then roll those parts out.

While agree with you, they can still throw some nice edited 1-2 min gameplay trailer for us peasants instead of teasing us. Maybe if they showed games earlier to get the feedback from gamers, they might be able to fix some stuff that folks complain later when the game is released.

KKRT00

Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls were definitely commercially successful according to this logic of choices=depth=better. Why can't people understand bigger the companies the fewer risks they are allowed to take. Oh and there are different types of games too.

So why did EA make Mass Effect, Mirrors Edge and Dragon Age?

So why did Ubisoft make Assassins Creed and is making The Division?

Why is Activision making Destiny?

Why Bethesda made Dishonored, were funding Prey 2, Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout?

Why did Take Two make RDR, Borderlands and XCOM?

Seems like everyone except for platform holders are actually trying to make something different from time to time.

Elios83

Hopefully the embargo ends with previews, screens and public gameplay footage unlike what happened with the Gamescom tech demo.

Gammacide

Looking forward to ANYTHING I can get re: this game. Such an interesting setting surely deserves more than shallow Gears comparisons!!

DieH@rd

Banned
While agree with you, they can still throw some nice edited 1-2 min gameplay trailer for us peasants instead of teasing us. Maybe if they showed games earlier to get the feedback from gamers, they might be able to fix some stuff that folks complain later when the game is released.

IMO, there is 99% chance that media will get B-roll footage.

And thats a shame. Such an awesome setting wasted on corridor tps shooter ;\
Who if not Sony? They are arguably the publisher who released the most risky games last gen. Heavy Rain cost $21M and Sony originally expected to drain all that money down the toilet when they signed it, yet they did it anyway. It was not even a risk, it was almost a guaranteed AAA bomb. Most of their teams have an incredible amount of creative freedom compared to other publishers. They make 7-10 hours cinematic games with great production values because they mostly want to.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Yeah, because nobody said anything bad about Assassin's Creed 4 when it crashed in the middle of Sony's E3 press conference. Nobody made hilarious animated GIFs of all the glitches and clipping problems in beta builds of Watch_Dogs.

Not wanting your game to become the next WALL GUY meme is hardly "antiquated" thinking.

Huh? The gaming press lead the charge on AC4, during the live-blogging and afterward in video coverage. And those hilarious animated GIFs, if good enough to get any traction, were compiled by the media for a lazy article or two. So... you're agreeing with me that they're not really a filter?

And wasn't Wall Guy an official screenshot first released by IGN?

S.W.

Pretty excited for any news we might get out of this. I realize the idea behind doing "press only" is so everyone can prepare and release their preview stuff all at once, but I almost think a live stream straight out of Sony would be cooler. I'm really not interested in reading what the press has to say since they're such hacks most of the time. I'd rather they just let US watch the 40-min video. I don't want to slog through paragraphs of

I'll take the video, thanks.
I knew people said this multiple times already...
Devs show vid of unfinished games for press-only for good reasons.
Gamers usually don't know what they actually see. Gafs might know what early footage stands for, how well these footage represent the final game and how buggy they often are. But not the 99.999% populations out there who might see the same video. Immature video release does more harm than good for the devs and publishers.

EL CUCO

How have we not seen a Kaz/The Order gif?!

I'd more excited for that, than these Journos spewing that "It looks good, bad, or indifferent".

Unless there is a leak somewhere ;)

What constitutes "safe" for you? To not have deep gameplay mechanics? Journey, The Unfinished Swan and Beyond are safe games? Really? Just because a game is cinematic and limited in terms of gameplay doesn't even remotely make it safe. I would not even say they are "safe" in terms of game design, they are just different.

IMO, there is 99% chance that media will get B-roll footage.
I say 100%. Will definitely happen.

S.W.

So why did EA make Mass Effect, Mirrors Edge and Dragon Age?

So why did Ubisoft make Assassins Creed and is making The Division?

Why is Activision making Destiny?

Why Bethesda made Dishonored, were funding Prey 2, Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout?

Why did Take Two make RDR, Borderlands and XCOM?

Seems like everyone except for platform holders are actually trying to make something different from time to time.

How many open world games you can play in a year.....it's a market with limited quota.
And please don't completely ignore my last sentence.

fallagin

generic tps would be set in modern times and you would be shooting random brown guys. this game looks cool, the style is cool, the era is cool. When you say generic tps, I think of spec ops the line

How are you possibly going to tell? Some people still think TLOU is a generic third person shooter zombie game. It's the story and acting that will set this game apart from others because I'm confident that Ready At Dawn have made a great game that plays well.

I'm just hoping it has more depth to it than just being a shooter. The last of us has more depth than the average shooter with stealth and crafting/scavenging mechanics. The order looks like just a straight up shooter, but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom