• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

Loudninja

Ok, just finished the game (took me about 9 hours on normal). I suck at writing impressions so I'll keep it short.

I didn't find the story anything special. But it's good enough, good characters with top notch VA and great facial animations.

Gameplay wise, it's solid. Satisfying gunplay, great weapons, decent AI. My main issue with the mechanics is that when you're close to a cover, Galahad would automatically stick to it, and that really irritated me. There's a button for taking cover if I wanted to, so why is there a contextual system on top of that? And there's no way to turn this off.

The disappointing: The unique weapons are so underutilized. The half breed encounters, both number and design wise.. What a missed opportunity.

Overall I liked it, I was craving for an AAA TPS and this game delivered, with an amazing atmosphere and solid gameplay. But just as I expected, it was honestly nothing special. 7/10 (If you wanna know my scale:
1-5=different levels of crap, 6=decent, 7=good, 8=great, 9=amazing, 10=The GOAT and it's reserved for TLG
).

Now, where's my photo mode...
Thank you sounds great. :)

Seems they really have a solid foundation.

Pimpwerx

Is anyone changing their purchase because of game length? I can't remember the last time I finished a game and thought it was too short, and I have over 30 PS4 games. I've got this preordered on PSN. I never even thought of changing my purchase. PEACE.

thuway

Ok, just finished the game (took me about 9 hours on normal). I suck at writing impressions so I'll keep it short.

I didn't find the story anything special. But it's good enough, good characters with top notch VA and great facial animations.

Gameplay wise, it's solid. Satisfying gunplay, great weapons, decent AI. My main issue with the mechanics is that when you're close to a cover, Galahad would automatically stick to it, and that really irritated me. There's a button for taking cover if I wanted to, so why is there a contextual system on top of that? And there's no way to turn this off.

The disappointing: The unique weapons are so underutilized. The half breed encounters, both number and design wise.. What a missed opportunity.

Overall I liked it, I was craving for an AAA TPS and this game delivered, with an amazing atmosphere and solid gameplay. But just as I expected, it was honestly nothing special. 7/10 (If you wanna know my scale:
1-5=different levels of crap, 6=decent, 7=good, 8=great, 9=amazing, 10=The GOAT and it's reserved for TLG
).

Thank you for this.

).

Did you feel alright about spending $60 in the end? Was the story a missed opportunity in your eyes as well?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

).

Sounds good. Yet another person who has said the game is good with some obvious room for improvement. Here's hoping this one is successful so we can see what RaD does with it next.

Insiders can voice their opinions and hype freely as anyone else in this forum. Lol at that BS.

He's not an insider. He knows a few guys at RAD and they have fed him little bits of information over time.

All I'm trying to say is that this game and all the complaints about it are due to the massive amount of hype this game had out of the gate. Over time people had started to ask questions about gameplay and sides were taken.

I think Sony saw the writing on the wall and has carefully controlled every aspect of this game for public consumption under the guise of story.

Well isn't this the point? Knowing what it is, being concerned about it, and still ending up disappointed? I think I've seen threads about Ground Zeroes being too short after it came out... could be wrong though.

Either way I'm basically never concerned about the raw length of a game, I just want it to be well paced and satisfying.

Thanks for the impressions OP! Hopefully more to come from other people that have played it.

The problem with comparing GZ to 1886 is that GZ really is a demo of sorts and a smaller section of a bigger game. Whereas 1886 is the entire $60 game.

TomShoe

Banned
I've got a BB $10 cert that expires on the 21st, and about $200 worth of gift cards lying around. I'll pick it up. It sounds like a good framework for the eventual fully fleshed out sequels, much like the first Uncharted.

Is anyone changing their purchase because of game length? I can't remember the last time I finished a game and thought it was too short, and I have over 30 PS4 games. I've got this preordered on PSN. I never even thought of changing my purchase. PEACE.

Just go to one of the game length threads. They're crawling out of the woodwork :p

Fury451

Banned

).

Thanks for the impressions, more are always preferred. Sounds like some concerns I had are valid- mainly with the story kind of fizzling, but it seems like this could really be a good franchise then. And the weapons being underused is a let down, but sounds like I'll enjoy it otherwise!

Excited to hear the VA are good also.

Does the game have you excited to play a sequel if one is made?

Dawg

Again, this is from a source close to me:

"I completed the Order and I thought it was really good. Animation, story, atmosphere and graphics + gunplay were exceptional. Unfortunately, I completed the game in 8 hours and those 8 hours included a lot of cutscenes - even though the game as a whole is really good.

It's a shame that it seems to be impossible these days to reach this level of production values and, at the same time, make a game that lasts longer than 10 hours.
"

Aceun

Thursday will be glorious.

Based on complete nonsense (YouTube video) and consistent anecdotes (trusted GAFers) I think it'll take me around 12 hours to complete.

Black bars all day.

Nah.

Games doesn't really get any cheaper where I live like until at least 6-10 months later. In fact, there's a good chance it'd be cheaper at launch, because Sony Asia tend to have stuff like 10% early purchase discount for first-party games. (or 10% discount buying them from Sony retail store )

Plus I have a butload of games on backlog. If I was a gamer living by the moment, maybe I'd be concerned about the length, but there's enough backlog in both Plus and actual purchased games that a short game every now and then barely matters.

It helps too, that my next two purchases are likely Bloodborne, FF Type-0 or Witcher 3, somewhere along those combination. I'd say I'm looking at 100+ hours for those games.

Game4life

Banned

"I completed the Order and I thought it was really good. Animation, story, atmosphere and graphics + gunplay were exceptional. Unfortunately, I completed the game in 8 hours and those 8 hours included a lot of cutscenes - even though the game as a whole is really good.

It's a shame that it seems to be impossible these days to reach this level of production values and, at the same time, make a game that lasts longer than 10 hours.
"

I would say your source needs to look at Uncharted 2, TLOU to know that his/her statement is wrong. RAD may have goofed up but the bolded is not necessarily true.

"
I don't know that the last is totally fair (especially in the light of UC2). I think now that they've done the main grunt work with the engine, the next game could easily hit 10 hours. Maybe that's just wishful thinking though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cackhyena

"

That doesn't even sound bad to me. You know what you're getting into with this type of game. It's just...you can't trust what someone says about the gun play till it's in your hands. How much can you fuck around in the levels, and how much replay-ability is there to be had with it.

Length doesn't matter if there's enough there to play around with and it's mechanics are solid. Ground Zeroes is a good example. I still haven't found more value in a game since, despite it's length if you run right through. Or maybe that's a shit example given the difference in genres. Well fuck me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

"
Wouldn't be surprised if the next game, if it happens, is longer. Tons of engine and asset work had to be done for this one and they had to work on TPS mechanics from scratch since they've never made one before. There's lots that they can reuse and build on next time.

viveks86

).

Thanks! I'm starting to temper my expectations on the story. Given the amount of emphasis on it, I was expecting a bit too much. Can't wait to play this soon!

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Did you feel alright about spending $60 in the end? Was the story a missed opportunity in your eyes as well?
Yes, personally I think the experience was worth it. As for the story, I thought it was good enough and laid solid foundations for this franchise.
Does the game have you excited to play a sequel if one is made?
Definitely. I'd buy a sequel in a heartbeat.

I would say your source needs to look at Uncharted 2, TLOU to know that his/her statement is wrong. RAD may have goofed up but the bolded is not necessarily true.

A lot of it also comes down to experience and resources too. I mean, ND went through trial-by-fire to incorporate mo-cap, top-of-line cinematics, and all the jazz into UC1. Of course, the tech and pipeline to do great cinematics has greatly matured since then, but it's still a new learning experience for RAD.

Yes, personally I think the experience was worth it. As for the story, I thought it was good enough and laid solid foundations for this franchise.

Solid buy for me then. I have a backlog filled with 30+ hour RPGs, so I could use something like this to cut my teeth on.
I think a comparison with Uncharted 1 would be more suited; new IP, new engine, etc.
I think that's what we were saying. The Order 1886 is RAD's Uncharted 1. Given that they've laid the foundation with a new IP and new engine, the next game should be able to hit 10 hours.

cackhyena

Maybe you've been asked this already but, are you itching to go through it again soon? Is there an option to skip scenes on the second go?

I don't remember him saying anything about physics. I only remember Pessino saying things about it on Twitter.

Pretty much everything Shinobi said was spot on. The most teasing he did was for a trailer that it seems like he may have seen before we did.

He's even said he's expecting the game to get thrashed in reviews. That's not exactly saying it's going to be a genre defining game

Ya. Still a lot to be seen. Lots of destructible cover (physics) in certain parts, where huge amounts of shit fly around as you shoot (cloth, soft-body ragdolls, glass, insane particle effects, etc). I think once people see a real battle happen on screen, they'll appreciate it all.

"Details and simulations"? Well, it sounds like you're wondering about physics in the world or something to that effect. You can read more here. Some details from the GI issue:

• Everything in the world is rendered with soft body physics
  • Metal beams react for example to magnetic forces, bending and shifting in real time
  • Incredible attention to detail: Lens flare catches light as you rotate the camera, oil lamps flash independently in an underground scene, light bouncing off every object provides uncanny realism, insane attention to material detail like wood, leather and cloth.
  • Clouds and particles of dust float around lamp flames, subtely settling down on the camera lens

A combination of quoting an (apparently?) falsely portraying GI article as well as commentary in threads I think that combines to make the impression I had. All one needs to do is search any "order" threads for his posts and see the content posted and people's responses. Almost as if it was just posted to inspire hype for some reason.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Thanks! I'm starting to temper my expectations on the story. Given the amount of emphasis on it, I was expecting a bit too much. Can't wait to play this soon!
Story sounds just like what I was expecting. Well written and acted with top tier presentation but nothing mindblowing. Every impression sounds almost exactly like what I was expecting for the game quality wise.

Readingaid

Neo Member

Thank you for your impressions and is exactly what I expected.

I think the scope and potential is incredible.

The Order: 1992

I don't mean this as a jab against Weerasuriya, but sometimes some writers just aren't as good as they think are.

Any creative director/writer with a game with a strong narrative focus will definitely prioritize and emphasis storytelling, even though the story itself may not necessarily be good.

I mean, just look at Tomb Raider. There was plenty of emphasis on Lara, her story, her emotional blahblahblah wannaprotecther, and the story was pretty much 'meh.' Or how FC4 was going to address all of the story shortcomings of FC3... except that it didn't, really.

I mentioned a few times but I have a few questions for people with early copies?

Is there a creepy almost erie atmosphere to the game? I hope that this is realized in the game.

Is there any incentive to to replaying the game? Collectibles, optional audio logs, etc.

Game4life

Banned
I think a comparison with Uncharted 1 would be more suited; new IP, new engine, etc.

Yeah well the initial comment was a general statement stating that games with this production value are not greater than 10 hours. If it specified only the first game in a series than yeah that comment makes sense.

Sid

).

Did you explore every corner and/or stood still to admire the graphics?

Dawg

Yeah well the initial comment was a general statement stating that games with this production value are not greater than 10 hours. If it specified only the first game in a series than yeah that comment makes sense.

It's translated so I think there's a chance he might have meant new IPs.

GnawtyDog

Banned
He's not an insider. He knows a few guys at RAD and they have fed him little bits of information over time.

All I'm trying to say is that this game and all the complaints about it are due to the massive amount of hype this game had out of the gate. Over time people had started to ask questions about gameplay and sides were taken.

I think Sony saw the writing on the wall and has carefully controlled every aspect of this game for public consumption under the guise of story.

I am not sure we have the same definition of insider. Last I checked anyone that has "inside" info on the development process of the games, on information not available to the press etc is considered an insider - whether that information is obtained through contacts or any other means. Shinobi doesn't have to work at RAD to be considered an insider with knowledge about the Order or the industry for that matter.

As for the correlation of hate due to hype - NO. You would have a better case of hype due to hate if you have followed GAF since the game was announced. So in a way all the negative buzz has created hype. This game is a perfect example of "any press is good press."

As for Sony, they had 0 idea of how to properly market this game right out the gate. They had problems marketing Uncharted for the longest time if I remember correctly. Luckily for them, the quality of RAD's work in the visuals department and being a market leader (a greater vocal install base) are pushing the game through despite all the negative buzz a vocal minority creates.

I'll just say this. Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay could EASILY be completed in about 4-5 hours in one sitting, and that was one of the god damn best games of that generation. The length is irrelevant to me and I want story games to make a comeback. I'm all in.

Freeman

Banned
When I look back to Uncharted 1, I don't remember it as having a particularly good story by itself, it was ok, what made game great to me were the characters, the presentation and the tone. I hope The Order is somewhat close to this and its the feeling I get from what I've seen.

nib95

Banned
A combination of quoting an (apparently?) falsely portraying GI article as well as commentary in threads I think that combines to make the impression I had. All one needs to do is search any "order" threads for his posts and see the content posted and people's responses. Almost as if it was just posted to inspire hype for some reason.

Is anything that he wrote above actually wrong though? Seems that stuff is implemented to varying degrees, the impact of which will greatly depend on the player. Eg I care about looking at these cloth physics or I don't.

Fury451

Banned

Thanks! Succinct and enough for me to go on.

Appreciated your honest and spoiler free take on it!

When I look back to Uncharted 1, I don't remember it as having a particularly good story by itself, it was ok, what made game great to me were the characters, the presentation and the tone. I hope The Order is somewhat close to this and its the feeling I get from what I've seen.

True points, completely agree. Only story I've liked so far was U2, and even that was clunky towards the end. But the characters feel real.

The Order has a cool world going for it though, hope it utilizes it well in addition to be characters!

viveks86

Story sounds just like what I was expecting. Well written and acted with top tier presentation but nothing mindblowing. Every impression sounds almost exactly like what I was expecting for the game quality wise.

But I was expecting to be blown away by the story. Not anymore.

Thank you. On a Mobile, so this search was difficult for me to do but I knew all this stuff was out there. This is just the soft body physics stuff but any order thread is full of it

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't mean this as a jab against Weerasuriya, but sometimes some writers just aren't as good as they think are.

Any creative director/writer with a game with a strong narrative focus will definitely prioritize and emphasis storytelling, even though the story itself may not necessarily be good.

I mean, just look at Tomb Raider. There was plenty of emphasis on Lara, her story, her emotional blahblahblah wannaprotecther, and the story was pretty much 'meh.' Or how FC4 was going to address all of the story shortcomings of FC3... except that it didn't, really.
Did Ru write the PSP GoWs? I thought those were the best written games in the series.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Maybe you've been asked this already but, are you itching to go through it again soon? Is there an option to skip scenes on the second go?
No, but I don't usually replay my games (unless it's something super special, like MGS3 or SotC :p). And nope no option to skip cutscenes.
Did you explore every corner and/or stood still to admire the graphics?
Not every corner, but I did explore, yeah.

nib95

Banned

).

Thanks for the impressions dude. Appreciate your input. I think the cover thing may bother me too, but I guess I'll know soon enough. Overall it seems like GAF impressions are pitting the game in the 7-9 scoring range, which is about what I expected depending on tastes. Game length wise, 6 people now all reporting between 9 and 14 hours for the first run.

Do you think you'll give it another go on Hard? Heard some say it's more enjoyable this way.

Sid

No, but I don't usually replay my games (unless it's something super special, like MGS3 or SotC :p). And nope no option to skip cutscenes.

Not every corner, but I did explore, yeah.
On a scale of Uncharted to GTA 5 how much room do you think there is to explore?

Top Bottom