• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

antitrop

Alright I guess I should leave my thoughts:

Pros:
-Insanely great graphics. No game has impressed me as much visually as this one.
-Superb voice work
-Moving and riveting soundtrack
-Fairly engaging storyline.
-Excellent production values
-Weapons were very creative and satisfying
-The core gunplay was pretty good

Cons
-QTEs must die in 2015. Cant stand em!
-The game was poorly paced with intermixing cinematics and combat
-Too damn short
-Human combat focus was off-putting
-The lycan combat was NOT satisfying
-Combat areas too cramped and claustrophobic

All in all, I would still give the game a decent 7/10, maybe 7.5. It sure as hell is NOT a 6/10.

If the do make a sequel, I hope they fix the core issues.

We pretty much completely agree. I'm not as adverse to QTEs as most people on GAF, though (unless it's the shitshow QTEs from RE6).

Fury451

Banned
I feel like an idiot. I completed it on 'Hard' and didn't once use Blacksight throughout my time with the game. I was a bit confused as to what everyone was talking about when they mentioned it, ha!

Don't feel bad, I only used it like 3 times. I kept forgetting I had it, it was kind of a bizarre mechanic that they didn't really utilize well.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Despite the mediocre reviews and short length of the game I'm kinda tempted to get that collector's edition of the game with the pendant, but what material is the pendant made of, and are there any closeup shots of it available?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Playing through a second time did make some points in the early game stand out as being ignored later on.
Percival is seen at least twice by Galahad talking to strange people, and when asked Percival says it is a long story
. It all feels like maybe
Percival
is up to something surreptitious. But then it is dropped and never mentioned again.

I always assumed he was talking to
Arthur
. That's like the only predictable twist the game missed already.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Been really busy (mostly with Hearthstone and my kids) but finally finished the game last night.

Been gaming for 30 years, consider myself very jaded and picky, and The Order 1886 blew me away. I looked forward to playing it whenever I wasn't, and enjoyed everything after chapter 2-3 (which were too slow for me). It's my favorite next-gen game so far, and it really feel like it's the first game to truly usher in the current generation. The sense of place in this game is immaculate -- the entire time I really felt like I was there, something that I think is partially achieved by this games fantastic environmental design and immaculate technical acumen, among other things. I enjoyed the characters, gameplay, and the story too. My early concerns about lack of gameplay were assuaged later in the game, and it was never an issue after the first few hours -- it's true that there could've been more gameplay, but the gameplay and story bits were really well mixed throughout and I was always entertained and engrossed in the game, completely.

I feel like I understand why some people are so critical of the game, but most of it I think comes from latent frustration about the relative lack of quality in AAA games in the last few years (since the launch of the new systems especially), and people wanted The Order to be our savior. A Gears Of War, a Bioshock, a Mass Effect, a Portal. I think most games would crumble under that pressure, most games flaws would be so intensely magnified that they really had no chance to begin with.

It's a shame a lot of the enthusiast gaming demographic didn't like this game that much, I'm super happy I got a chance to play it. :)

BokehKing

Banned
So last night I played from the hospital scene to

The airship blowing up, Percival dying?

I'm having a lot of fun, the stealth was not as bad as everyone made it out to he, the story is still fine to me

I'm hearing about packages aboard the airship
Using my common monster lore but

Vampires can't cross running water, are vampires being transported to America? I'm assuming vampires are a thing since werewolves are

Don't tell me, just wild speculation of course.
Much can be improved, but so far, game play I would give it a 7
But my personal enjoyment factor is a 8.5

_dd_

My copy should be arriving today, can't wait to play it. Looking forward to the reviews as well.

Been really busy (mostly with Hearthstone and my kids) but finally finished the game last night.

Been gaming for 30 years, consider myself very jaded and picky, and The Order 1886 blew me away. I looked forward to playing it whenever I wasn't, and enjoyed everything after chapter 2-3 (which were too slow for me). It's my favorite next-gen game so far, and it really feel like it's the first game to truly usher in the current generation. The sense of place in this game is immaculate -- the entire time I really felt like I was there, something that I think is partially achieved by this games fantastic environmental design and immaculate technical acumen, among other things. I enjoyed the characters, gameplay, and the story too. My early concerns about lack of gameplay were assuaged later in the game, and it was never an issue after the first few hours -- it's true that there could've been more gameplay, but the gameplay and story bits were really well mixed throughout and I was always entertained and engrossed in the game, completely.

I feel like I understand why some people are so critical of the game, but most of it I think comes from latent frustration about the relative lack of quality in AAA games in the last few years (since the launch of the new systems especially), and people wanted The Order to be our savior. A Gears Of War, a Bioshock, a Mass Effect, a Portal. I think most games would crumble under that pressure, most games flaws would be so intensely magnified that they really had no chance to begin with.

It's a shame a lot of the enthusiast gaming demographic didn't like this game that much, I'm super happy I got a chance to play it. :)

I can see this point.

Was this game rushed? Did the playtests confirm that the cut scenes hinder the experience? It could have been so much more enjoyable with very minimal effort. To strip the player of freedom to skip cutscene is insulting. Give me the option. Maybe it was engine limitation since it is all real time... Nah.

I feel like its some crazy director taking shit too seriously - "Noooo thees is fancy art and you cannot skeep the cutsceenes you must experience deh storay!"

I can see this point.

Was this game rushed? Did the playtests confirm that the cut scenes hinder the experience? It could have been so much more enjoyable with very minimal effort. To strip the player of freedom to skip cutscene is insulting. Give me the option. Maybe it was engine limitation since it is all real time... Nah.

I feel like its some crazy director taking shit too seriously - "Noooo thees is fancy art and you cannot skeep the cutsceenes you must experience deh storay!"

You act like this is the only game to ever not let you skip cutscene. It's not the first and it won't be the last. It's a story driven game so why wouldn't you want to watch the cutscene. There are plenty of MP games if that is more your inclination.

Guess I am finishing the first level. WhAt is on my screen is a progress bar that is stuck @ 90% and it says 44 seconds remaining. What the hell is it? Been about 10 minutes and I am gonna reboot .

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
You act like this is the only game to ever not let you skip cutscene. It's not the first and it won't be the last. It's a story driven game so why wouldn't you want to watch the cutscene. There are plenty of MP games if that is more your inclination.

It becomes a problem when the game is paced poorly.

OneLetter

Guess I am finishing the first level. WhAt is on my screen is a progress bar that is stuck @ 90% and it says 44 seconds remaining. What the hell is it? Been about 10 minutes and I am gonna reboot .

I assume you're a digital downloader in this case. The pre-load is about 7GB of the near 30GB of the full game, so we allow you to play while the rest downloads in the background. Sometimes, you'll need to wait between chapters for the rest to download, hence the timing bar.

Hope that helps.

I assume you're a digital downloader in this case. The pre-load is about 7GB of the near 30GB of the full game, so we allow you to play while the rest downloads in the background. Sometimes, you'll need to wait between chapters for the rest to download, hence the timing bar.

Hope that helps.

Bloody hell reboot after reboot and straight to 90% 44 seconds remaining. It is a rental disc, first rental ever on a current gem console for me, and I checked it when I got it. I ejected it and inspected it more closely . There was some sort of gunk on the edge of the disc which I cleaned off. I reinserted disk and it loaded the next scene. Now I know why I have been ambivalent about renting.

Combat can be so excellent in this game.

TheOrder14sm.gif

BumRush

I'm only 3 chapters in - so probably not the best judge just yet - but the shooting mechanics are great...wtf were reviewers talking about?

I watched many let's plays of The Order 1886, nearly none of them used the blackwater mode. Most of them just forgot, that it even was a thing.

IMO the devs should have showed it more than one time to the player

Jito

Banned
I watched many let's plays of The Order 1886, nearly none of them used the blackwater mode. Most of them just forgot, that it even was a thing.

IMO the devs should have showed it more than one time to the player

They should have made it more than a crutch too. Just normal bullet time mode would've more interesting and useful.

Nothing like shooting a grenade out of the air for no reason?

Haha I know it was the only clip I had of it unfortunately. I had some epic ones where I threw it past their heads took out two front guys and shot the grenade to get the other two in back.

:drool

We seriously needs some kind of combat arena for this game.

Absolutely. All this game needs is a dive roll to cover button and better movement from cover to cover and it would be sublime

Played some at a friend's house. The gameplay is solid, albeit simple. However, once I got into the flow of things, a cutscene would happen. I went for about 2 hours without dying and it's safe to say I spent more time watching than actually playing.

This reminded me of Max Payne 3. Once the action starts flowing, cutscenes appear and disrupt the pacing.

The issue isn't the amount or length of cutscenes, but the sporadic frequency of needless ones. I can understand putting long and crucial conversations into a cutscene but I don't need one of my character opening a door and walking around between gameplay sequences.

The QTEs are also inconsistently designed. Why does that action get a QTE prompt but not this one? Suddenly the next action requires the analog stick as well? It's like they planned the cutscenes, realized the game needed more interaction, and just found places to plug it in. This is the prime example of how immersion breaking QTEs can be, when they're not intuitively implemented and scream "video game mechanic."

OneLetter

Bloody hell reboot after reboot and straight to 90% 44 seconds remaining. It is a rental disc, first rental ever on a current gem console for me, and I checked it when I got it. I ejected it and inspected it more closely . There was some sort of gunk on the edge of the disc which I cleaned off. I reinserted disk and it loaded the next scene. Now I know why I have been ambivalent about renting.

Oh, weird. Good to know though, and appreciate the response.

Combat can be so excellent in this game.

TheOrder14sm.gif

Damn, well done. Too bad the grenade shot was too high ;)

Beat it a couple of nights before, here are my final impressions:

Good:-

Cinematic visuals: Graphics have been a big talking point of the Order and Ready at Dawn has set gold standards to cinematic visuals. The graphics of the order are second to none and the lighting is simply superb. Other developers should look at the Order when it comes to transitioning from cinematics/cutscenes to actual gameplay. One of the best transitions from cinematics to actual gameplay has to be during the scene where:
Galahad pushes the carriage along with Lakshmi rani and Devi, and Lakshmi directs Devi to stay behind and informs Galahad to always be in her good books. Lakshmi starts to climb the carriage and the scene brilliantly transitions to character control/camera control of Galahad.

Gameplay: Shooting was solid and actually immensely fun when using the Thermite rile and sniper rifle. Since my first play through was on HARD, I couldn't do much of Hand to hand combat, but as I have just started my second playthrough on EASY, Triangle press cinematic combat against human NPCs is just fantastic to look at.

Narrative: Galahad and Lafayette were my favorites from start till the end. Voice acting is top notch from all actors. Having Indiancharacters tied to the narrative piqued my interest more than I could've imagined. Cinematics were mostly well shot apart from a some oddly placed/position scenes.

Music&Sound: The sound of thermite rifle's R2 and R1 fire abilities was just sublime to hear. Melee combat sound effects, sniper rifle, handgun effects, and last but never the least the orchestral score was definitely good.

Bad:-

Neither an Uncharted level of freedom in exploration nor a David Cage level of cinematic QTE game: When the Order 1886 was revealed first back in E3 2013, my expectations were an Uncharted like exploration/cinematic story driven experience featuring half breeds and characters from actual history blended together through alternate history storytelling. Now did the final game deliver on this expectation of mine? The answer is a yes and a no. Yes you fight half breeds, but their encounters were very few and far between. The encounter itself was straight forward shooting and QTE stab to finish which isn't bad per-se, but I expected something more elaborate like a boss battle-esque type of encounter. The game's exploration isn't rewarding either. When you inspect an object, I want to see some kind of checklist being struck-off, like an audio visual cue letting the player know he's done something important. Forcing the player to just walk around is frustrating,especially when your left thumb is used to clicking down the L3 button thanks to first person shooters. Naughty Dog allowed the players to jog around with Joel in certain sections of the Last of Us. Jogging sounds far more welcoming than just walking around with all that armor.

Frustrating choice of QTE Gameplay button mapping and stealth QTE is equally frustrating and oddly chosen buttons in gameplay : God of War games had straight forward QTE(which I enjoyed a lot) where you either tap the button and/or use the left analog sticks. In the Order however you have to move the right stick which is being controlled by your right thumb and then use your right thumb immediately after to press Square Triangle Circle or Cross. Failable stealth takedowns in some of the chapters were just plain frustrating. Just when I thought I had timed the Triangle press, voila red flash on the button prompt and I have failed. And the whole thing starts from the beginning. Lycan QTE combat was another thing that equally frustrated, Using the right stick, L2/R2/L1, just didn't do it for me. I just didn't find triangle as "THE" button for picking up ammo, opening doors, climbing ladders, QTE, melee combat. Whatever happened to using Square/X for picking up ammo, tapping Square for melee combat and triangle for countering attacks?

And no, just no this game is by no means a 4/10 or 5/10 or low score deserving game in my opinion. The order is a solid 7-7.5/10 game. The Order 1886 deserves a sequel, a sequel worthy of the secrets and mysteries surrounding the Order and it's universe. I sincerely hope the game makes enough money to get a sequel development budget funding in place from SSM/SCEA.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'm only 3 chapters in - so probably not the best judge just yet - but the shooting mechanics are great...wtf were reviewers talking about?

No idea. Sky-high expectations? I think the gunplay was great.

Also, what the hell is up with the games pre-order DLC? It never worked for me. Does it just require you to beat the game?

So last night I played from the hospital scene to

The airship blowing up, Percival dying?

I'm having a lot of fun, the stealth was not as bad as everyone made it out to he, the story is still fine to me

I'm hearing about packages aboard the airship
Using my common monster lore but

Vampires can't cross running water, are vampires being transported to America? I'm assuming vampires are a thing since werewolves are

Don't tell me, just wild speculation of course.
Much can be improved, but so far, game play I would give it a 7
But my personal enjoyment factor is a 8.5
Interesting; I'm in my 2nd playthrough but haven't played since last weekend until yesterday...and I played the exact parts you mentioned!

A brofist is in...Order.

Zakalwe

Banned
I just finished this. It's an ok game.

The majority of the levels are too cramped, the cover system is incredibly awkward (which is a big thing when it's the basis for combat) at times due to poor environment design and not enough control over your character. This made the stealth sections annoying at times.

There are too many wave based enemy encounters, too many walking sections with no real reason to explore, stealth kill QTE design can be frustrating when it glitches on you, and there are too many times when the game delays control of your character after an action or cutscene which makes control feel sluggish.

The best section of the game, imo, was chapter IX An Uneasy Alliance. The levels were more open, verticality allowed for more interesting encounters, the pacing was perfect, and there was a good variety of weaponry to use. I really wish the rest of the game had been as good as this chapter.

Pistol gunplay was really fun, the Arc gun was great. Loved the feel of the sniper. The rest were good, and the gunplay in general was quite satisfying.

I didn't like the revive mechanic, it felt clunky. Squad members were useless. The banter between enemies was well done when they didn't repeat themselves too often.

I liked the characters and there were moments the story was engaging, but for the most part it felt a little too earnest. Game treated me like an idiot too often, hand holding and over explanations within the dialogue.

Attempts at humour were flat.

Lycan encounters were very underwhleming and the QTE style boss fights were too repetitive.

The visuals were pretty stunning.

Exploring only to find a pointless 3D object to pick up and rotate made the game feel a bit like a tech demo.

I enjoyed enough of it to like it, but I agree with the 6/10 reviews. I think RAD have something here, and if they can make more if a game and less of a show I'd enjoy it more. Or if they want to stick to thier vision then at least add some depth to the gamplay, and improve the writing/story.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the sequel.

system11

Just completed it (went straight for hard mode, no assist), took 'some hours', certainly in the 9-10+ area, I like looking around though.

Overall, I liked it a lot. There are some things I'd definitely like to see changed for the (hopeful) sequel:

* Better movement from cover to cover.

* Options to kill chromatic aberration, film grain and motion blur. While the graphics are very good and even exceptional in places, I was constantly straining my eyes to see with the mixture of mostly dark settings and very very soft image. DoF blur while in cover can be particularly troublesome. By all means make an interactive film game, but understand that you need to pick out detail in a game. This is actually why it took me this long to beat despite buying on release day - I couldn't play too long without causing eye strain.

* Black bars need to go, lots and lots of places in the game I felt my vertical view was being obscured badly by them.

* Not too sure about the Lycan fight QTE prompts appearing in random places.

* Once completed it would be nice to be able to see which chapters I missed collectables in.

The rest of the game I was perfectly happy with, I'd have given it a 7/10 as-is, an 8/10 if they made the image sharper.

They should have made it more than a crutch too. Just normal bullet time mode would've more interesting and useful.

Lol you're right. I'm not even entirely sure why I didn't use it much.

I think it was:

1- it looks really cool but you're really uninvolved in the process. You just flick between targets right?

2- the explanation for it was too brief, I don't even know how to tell how much black sight I've got- so this is down to HUD design

3- it's more fun to get headshots on my own and I feel black sight doesn't offer me much superiority

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So I completed it and ended up like the plot. But one thing I don't understand is
how are vampires and werewolves the same thing? The UIC was sending vampires to America. Lucan and co are lycans. Are they in cahoots?

MrHoot

Redlettermedia pre-rec made a video about the order

http://redlettermedia.com/pre-rec-the-order-1886/ (warning, obviously VERY SPOILER heavy)

Of course they are very critical about it (sorry) but it's interesting in that they analyze the story a bit more thoroughly since it's closer to what they're used to as film critic. Pretty damn entertaining

We will not harm innocent men

Oni Jazar

I platinum-ed this game this morning. It's my second Platinum trophy after The Walking Dead S1 (which you get for just completing the game lol).

I really really really love the look, feel, sound & setting of this game. It would be a huge crime if RAD wasn't allowed to continue the franchise and improve on their shortcomings.

I'm not surprised that people bashed it for it's length or lack of interactivity. I think I could have really loved the game in spite of those two things. The problem is if you take away interactivity you better damn well tell an amazing story, and while they setup a really interesting premise they failed horribly at proving a good narrative arc.

Frankly there's really not THAT much difference between The Order 1886 and The Last Of Us in terms of structure. You have moments of gameplay mixed with heavy cinematics. The difference is that TLOU has more open combat environments with better AI and an amazing narrative. I wanted to love the 1886 story but it really didn't go anywhere interesting and it certainly didn't have a great climax.

I will say that the game had a great feel for combat. I loved shooting the guns and actually enjoyed the final shooting encounter on hard even though I had to replay it a few times.

I would be very confident that RAD could nail down the story and AI on their next attempt if Sony would give them the chance. If they could fix that and keep looking amazing it will succeed.

jett

D-Member

http://redlettermedia.com/pre-rec-the-order-1886/ (warning, obviously VERY SPOILER heavy)

Of course they are very critical about it (sorry) but it's interesting in that they analyze the story a bit more thoroughly since it's closer to what they're used to as film critic. Pretty damn entertaining

The definitive The Order:1886 review. Gruff McMilitary is truly a video game character for the ages.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst

Perfection.

I love these guys.

So I completed it and ended up like the plot. But one thing I don't understand is
how are vampires and werewolves the same thing? The UIC was sending vampires to America. Lucan and co are lycans. Are they in cahoots?

I thought they said the Lycan were being protectors.

Chabbles

Just finished this and it was a blast. Apart from the instadeath from failed qte's breaking the flow, I liked everything, story, gameplay and visuals. For what is was going for an 8.5/10 is fair imo.

I'm more sad about the lack of ambition in the other departments other then visuals. I quit in anger when the game kept telling me to use covers during shooting sequences and then during a run of the mill shooting gallery, I could not use cover anymore because my character was holding a lantern and they could not bother to make it work with covers. Lazy.

This video is very pleasing to me.

Jito

Banned

Hi I'm Gruff McMilitary, excuse while I murder these innocent men.

KOHIPEET

I finally had the chance to play the game and boy it was a weird experience.

It is truly, breathtakingly beautiful, does a great job at creating an atmosphere and sounds are fantastic too. But facial animations are a huge letdown for me.

Also, the game is really really non-interactive. I mean it's 2015 and I can't even shoot through glass or make a bottle break with a bullet, water doesn't ripple either, foliage doesn't react and I can't disable light-sources. So graphically it's a huge hit with few, but really prominent misses.

Regarding gameplay. Even more weird with tons of cons:

-Even though the shooting itself is satisfying, it's also repetitive. (Because we're mainly fighting against humans.)
-Stealth sections are like from a decade earlier. Clunky, primitive. Just plain bad. The worst sections in the game IMO.
-Tooo many cutscenes. You don't need to place a cutscene every time (almost) the player has to jump over a ledge or climb a ladder.

Regarding everything else. Cons:
-The narrative is poor. The typical case of "telling instead of showing". We're told how much certain characters love/like each other, and we should feel sorrow. But they litteraly had 3 scenes together and did very few things together. It all comes through as melodrama.

IMHO the biggest problem with the game isn't that it wants to be a movie, but the fact that it's a BAD movie. There's nothing wrong with wanting to make a cinematic game that is like a movie, but when you have inadequate skills as a writer/director, problems arise.

RAD should definitely make a sequel because there's potential in the universe, but please, hire a decent writer/director and loosen the grip on the players experience.

IMHO the biggest problem with the game isn't that it wants to be a movie, but the fact that it's a BAD movie. There's nothing wrong with wanting to make a cinematic game that is like a movie, but when you have inadequate skills as a writer/director, problems arise.

I just finished it too and I strongly disagree with this. Maybe you just haven't seen enough bad movies. I thought this story was head and shoulders above most genre Hollywood fare, reminded me a lot of some of Kim Newman's books. It left a lot unsaid which a lot of game stories seem afraid to do. So most of the cut scene story elements were slow and subdued rather than action packed. All the action was left for the game play, something I liked a lot. Too many games use cut scenes to show the exciting explosive moments rather than letting you participate in them. Which is amusing considering a lot of the criticisms levelled at this game.

There are definitely a few gameplay anachronisms they could tighten up for a sequel, but they didn't dampen my enjoyment for the game. And for all the corridor talk there were a lot of nice open areas, really enjoyed the multi-level mansion areas. Definitely a completely different experience to what I was anticipating after getting a picture of what to expect from some of the reviews. I may just have to re-read a few to make sure I'm not getting the wrong end of the stick and just misremembering.

Top Bottom