• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Uhh no, the only real blunder was Heavy Rain. Fahrenheit has decent voice acting (great by 2005's standards) and Beyond's side characters with very few exceptions are good as well.
Don't you dare try to defend that story. Literally the only good character in that entire story was Dafoe's assistant, and that's because he doesn't get enough screentime to get subjected to David Cage's awful writing as awful as much as the other characters.

EDIT:Oh you were talking about the actors? Yea they're pretty subpar even for video game standards.

Elfstruck

Finished it yesterday and boy, didn't know they pulled that kind of ending..
Killed Igraine's brother and that's it? What about her comming to the Whitechapel? Goddamm, I definitely want a sequel :(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
We all have games that we know aren't "good" that we still enjoy, but telling other people "no, it's totally fine if you ignore its problems" doesn't really have a place in a conversation about specifics.
I was not trying to do that. I was only speaking about my own experience. I tend to skim over less obvious narrative problems quite easily. I also wouldn't call the game not good, because it does some things very well, and I guess I just care about those things more than things where it falters.

EDIT:Oh you were talking about the actors? Yea they're pretty subpar even for video game standards.
Fahrenheit's voice acting was OK-to-good by 2005 game standards. Was much better than Heavy Rain, that's for sure.

Daingurse

Finished the game this past Sunday, so I just thought I'd post my thoughts:

Positives -

Unbelievably gorgeous visuals, just the best looking game I've ever played. I own a decent PC (i7 980x+GTX970), and I just can't think of anything I can boot up that looks better. Ryse probably comes closets out of everything I own, and it just doesn't measure up to The Order. The way materials are rendered, the lack of aliasing, and just the overall art direction round up to making an extremely impressive presentation. Just made me feel more immersed in the game, sometimes couldn't believe the shit I was looking at was real time.

Gunplay felt good. I found the guns to overall feel fun to shoot, lots of good feedback. Also just a lot of cool guns in-general. Especially liked zapping off heads with the Arc Gun.

Excellent voice acting made it easy to stay engaged during the story segments. It may have no been the greatest narrative, but I did feel engaged throughout, and I think they really did come down to the stellar presentation.

Negatives -

Lycan encounters, just didn't enjoy how they were handled at all. Felt like those charging enemies from Dead Space 2, only even worse.

Stealth segments were kinda annoying to me, didn't care for them too much. Had some fun brutal executions, but the instant fail nature to the segments definitely began to irritate me.

Enemy variety in-general was very lacking.

Ending was a big wtf. Was actually pretty jarring.

I overall really enjoyed my time with the game. I would probably give it about 7.5-8.0 personally. I'll probably keep my copy I bought, would still like to do some of the combat segments again/admire the graphics. Hope they add a photo-mode.

quesalupa

This game was great! I mean, I wouldn't want every game to be like it, but damn, this is how you do a cinematic experience! 8.5/10.

Side note: Did the credits do a weird flicker/slowdown thing with anybody else?

ike_

I keep thinking about this game long after beating it and putting it away.

It is slowly reserving that spot in my heart, like the movie Tombstone (as someone who really doesn't like Westerns all that much), where I'm not sure why I can't stop thinking about it, but I cant. Maybe it's those incredible mustaches?

n6owgxt.jpg

wilflare

finished the game and just got the plat too
if this game released as a budget release like inFamous: First Light - it would have been a decent game for the price.

yes the ending was VERY underwhelming.... it just ended... there? I even waited to see something else happened. I understand the need for cliffhanger but lol, there's so many parts left unexplained :/

the stealth sections are ANNOYING, extremely.

game is very rough but I sure hope they either get a second chance to do a sequel or add in additional content down the line

Finished it some days ago.

I actually expected it to be a lot worse due to the general negativity surrounding its release. It might not be the game we all expected, but the story had me hooked 'til the end, which demands a sequel, really.

But The Order is definitely lacking gameplay wise. The shootout areas are pretty narrow and static, while fighting the werewolves is too easy (they really just run at and away from you while you give them some bullets).

It might be somewhat comparable to Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Laying a solid base with mostly fun gameplay which can be expanded in a sequel.

BumRush

Haven't beat it yet, but so far it's such a gorgeous game that a lot of other things can be forgiven. The core gameplay is solid, sound design phenomenal, and aesthetic / setting is right up my alley. With that being said, the QTEs and the stealth sections are just incredibly awful. Also, it forces you to slowly walk WAAAAAAAAY too often. Fix those for a sequel and it'll get 8s and 9s. As is, this game does not deserve 6/10 (I'm halfway through), I'm really not sure what reviewers were thinking.

Ramirez

I completed it last night, and enjoyed it for what it was. The stealth sections were easy, the shootouts were fun, and the story/presentation was top notch, if cliched. Only major beef I had with the game mechanics was QTEs being instant death if you failed, they should branch out and give you multiple chances to mess up and recover.

I really hope they get to make a sequel.

kingwingin

Just started playing this game, was slow at first and I was kinda already regretting buying it by the second chapter but it really picked up and im feeling a lot better

the first lycan fight was kinda lame, they just run at you and run away but that elder fight was awesome! That's how all the lycan fights should be and I hope there is another fight that good but I won't count on it.

The weapons are fantastic too, just got to the blimp and can't wait to use the gun nikola gave me

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
How the bloody hell can you get a headshot using Blacksight?

Because every time I used it it locks on the torso area of the enemy and then when I tried to move the pointers to the head it jitters like crazy, blargggh so annoying.

Because every time I used it it locks on the torso area of the enemy and then when I tried to move the pointers to the head it jitters like crazy, blargggh so annoying.
Are you supposed to be able to fine-tune your aim on a target in blacksight? I've only ever used it to spam one enemy to death before flicking to the next - and that's been damn near useless when it comes to the armored enemies.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Are you supposed to be able to fine-tune your aim on a target in blacksight? I've only ever used it to spam one enemy to death before flicking to the next - and that's been damn near useless when it comes to the armored enemies.

Well since there's a trophy for it I thought yes there should be a way but it's seemingly so frustrating to pull off every time I try it :/

Also, I *HATE* that the game still sees fit to keep prompting me tutorial messages throughout the game without me having the option of turning them off. YES GAME I KNOW I CAN MOVE FORWARD FASTER BY CLICKING L3 and YES GAME I KNOW THAT I CAN MOVE LEFT STICK AROUND AND TRIANGLE TO FLIP OBJECT I AM INSPECTING so PLEASE STOP REMINDING ME THAT FOR THE THOUSANDTH TIMES!

Currently on Chapter VIII and so far I am actually rather enjoying the experience, aside that Blacksight and tutorial message hogwash.

BadAss2961

Well since there's a trophy for it I thought yes there should be a way but it's seemingly so frustrating to pull off every time I try it :/

Also, I *HATE* that the game still sees fit to keep prompting me tutorial messages throughout the game without me having the option of turning them off. YES GAME I KNOW I CAN MOVE FORWARD FASTER BY CLICKING L3 and YES GAME I KNOW THAT I CAN MOVE LEFT STICK AROUND AND TRIANGLE TO FLIP OBJECT I AM INSPECTING so PLEASE STOP REMINDING ME THAT FOR THE THOUSANDTH TIMES!

Currently on Chapter VIII and so far I am actually rather enjoying the experience, aside that Blacksight and tutorial message hogwash.
Considering how much RAD wanted to resemble film, i'm surprised there isn't a no HUD option. Would be nice to have it unlocked after completing the game.

Considering how much RAD wanted to resemble film, i'm surprised there isn't a no HUD option. Would be nice to have it unlocked after completing the game.
I'd love to see them patch in a no-HUD option, a no-prompt option (for picking up items), and a no-tips option to turn off all of those tutorial messages. That stuff is all fine to have enabled by default, but allow us to turn that stuff off in the options for those who seek it out.

If anything it'd help sell their filmic presentation better. Hell, add an option to automatically resolve battles and QTEs so that some people can just watch the game play out in cinematic camera angles if that's their intent.

D23

Made it to chapter 10. Wow the visuals is amazing in this game. And they didn't even use 100% of ps4 power? Wow

Vindicator

Got the game yesterday, played until the end of chapter 3, that big shootout was quite tense on hard difficulty, the gunplay feels good to me, no big shooter expert though.
I bought the game mostly because of the graphics and yes, the game looks absolutely insane, can't wait to play it again.

Haven't beat it yet, but so far it's such a gorgeous game that a lot of other things can be forgiven. The core gameplay is solid, sound design phenomenal, and aesthetic / setting is right up my alley. With that being said, the QTEs and the stealth sections are just incredibly awful. Also, it forces you to slowly walk WAAAAAAAAY too often. Fix those for a sequel and it'll get 8s and 9s. As is, this game does not deserve 6/10 (I'm halfway through), I'm really not sure what reviewers were thinking.

i think a 6 - 7/10 is a fair score. the 2 out of 10s however are way off.. that is reserved for games that are completely broken like ride to hell: retribution and big rigs

OSHAN

Beat it last night. Really enjoyed it. Everything was just so lovingly crafted. I don't think I've played a game before that screamed "look at my shit" as much as this one. I mean you pick shit up in this game just to look at it, and I actually wanted to do this.

It really is the ultimate rental game for most people. I don't have time for long game sessions, so it took me a little bit to play through it on hard, but if you can set aside a weekend or something, it's definitely worth playing through.

b0bbyJ03

Beat is yesterday and enjoyed it more than I thought after the reviews. 7/10 for me. Really hope they make a sequel and fix everything. Anyone know how it's selling. Have there been any numbers yet?

BadAss2961

Beat it last night. Really enjoyed it. Everything was just so lovingly crafted. I don't think I've played a game before that screamed "look at my shit" as much as this one. I mean you pick shit up in this game just to look at it, and I actually wanted to do this.

It really is the ultimate rental game for most people. I don't have time for long game sessions, so it took me a little bit to play through it on hard, but if you can set aside a weekend or something, it's definitely worth playing through.
I was in awe just looking at liquor bottles in that one scene after Galahad removes his uniform.

Ushiwaka

Finished the game just now. Man that was something. The visuals are fucking insane, there are too much QTEs and all that, but god damn it did they waste all that fucking story potential.

Spoilers:

So many fucking unanswered questions. The ending almost explains nothing. I loved the lore and the setting, I never get tired of Steampunk-ish Victorian London and its stories of werewolves, vampires and such. The games sets up a really good lore and explores almost nothing of it. I would love to know more about vampires, the long life span of theKnights, the origins of werewolves, etc. I hope a sequel is at works because I really want to know more about the world of the game.

Overall, I think the game was a solid 7/10 just for the graphics and story/lore/setting.

Kal_El

Ok, I just finished the game right now and I apologize if this has been answered in the last 150+ pages but when the game finished I had more questions than answers.
What's up with isi? Is Galahad gonna pipe the queen? Where's Marquis? Did he tell the council? I honestly didn't realize the last fight was the last fight. 7.75/10

Jigolo

Played through twice to get the Platinum on hard Here are my thoughts

+ Graphics & sound (music)
+ Gunplay is actually very good
+ Enjoyed the story
+ Characters are great (Lafayette is a true bro)

- Too many QTEs
- Lycan fights suck, the environments are much too small for this
- CA, aspect ratio
- Camera during cover is bad
- Some controls are bad ( switching weapons, picking up ammo grenades)
- Too short
- No collectable count
- Bare bones menus
- Boss fights were not good
- Although I enjoyed the story there are some weird cuts and pacing issues along with some weird coincidences
- Camera too close to Galahad

My hopes for the sequel:
Full 1080p, 16:9
More open environments
Fix controls and the cover camera
Add collectables, costumes unlocking by playing the game and not store DLC
Add multiplayer
Make camera further away from Galahad. Somewhere around here would be the sweet spot and with the additional resolution and proper aspect ratio there would be an adequate amount of stuff shown besides Galahads body.

This is how it is most of the game:

This is where it should be:

You can actually see all of Galahads arm and buttocks as opposed to the other screen where you can only see up to his elbow.

2/5 from me :]

Knuf

Finished the game on hard last night, and I really enjoyed the game, yes, even the QTEs and the stealth missions. But whoever designed the lycans combat mechanics should be fired, because goddamn, they really bring all the whole experience down, still can't believe they even managed to ruin the
final "boss"
combat after that amazing
catacombs
chapter. :(
But everything else goes from great to amazing, it'd be a shame if Sony didn't greenlight The Order: 1887, I need more
no more
Galahad in my life.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Just finished this game. As the credits rolled, I purchased the Premium Edition. Not because I like the statue. (I don't)

But because I think RAD most definitely deserves a second shot at his series.

I have never, ever done this before.

The engine they created is mind blowing, and will not be rivaled until this time next year, if even then. The gunplay was solid as hell, and the weapons were so fun to use. The stroyline and lore they've created are absolutly fantastic, and leave me wanting more. The cinimatic presentation was like nothing I have ever seen.

Really hope they skate by with enough to warrant a sequel. Especially with the engine, universe, characters, already built I think the sequel has massive potential.

Any word on sales this far?

GobFather

Really hope they skate by with enough to warrant a sequel. Especially with the engine, universe, characters, already built I think the sequel has massive potential.

Any word on sales this far?
Same feeling! I hope there is a sequel.

From what I read, the sales are higher in Europe and Asia. But didn't do so well in USA. There was also more negativity in US press than in other areas so I wonder if that had a huge impact

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What a fucking disaster of an ending; at least an ending of a game sold at a 60 dollar price point.

So many "Har har you gotta buy a sequel" resolution to many "What happened to <insert character here> <insert circumstances here>?" questions. What a cynical cash grab :/

If you tout yourself as a highly cinematic, movie-like game then at least get your story telling right. As it is, what a disaster the story telling in the Order is.

Not to mention what the fuck were they thinking doing a "last boss" like that? Can't they think of something else instead of just copy-pasting things? Shameful.

Bleh.

Although, I like the gameplay enough when the game actually let you play.

2 to 4 out of 10 is too severe, I think, but I wouldn't give this game more than 6. 5 or 6 at the very least, just because I am way too pissed off by the ending.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Finished the game yerterday:

Awful game with great graphics.The gameplay is boring and too many cinematics.This is not a game is like a movie.And the end?What a joke.

6/10

Beatrix

Just beat the game like 30 mins ago. And all I can say is I'm glad I didn't spend $60 for this. Amazing visuals and gameplay to cut-scene transition, very seamless. They better make a sequel soon and address all the common complaints everyone has.

wilflare

I sure hope there's a patch to add more content (an extra mode or something) - I spent $60 lol (well with $15 cashback on the PSN store)

Vindicator

Finished the game in 3 evenings, definitely enjoyed it. Hopefully they make a refined sequel.
Now some trophy hunting, time to get my first platinum...

oilers1994

Neo Member
Woohoo first post :)

My expectations were fairly high despite the mediocre impressions given off pre release. I do feel that it has got more hate then it probably deserves but obviously that is out of my control.

I feel that it was a solid game as long as you don't seek every little flaw but instead just relax and enjoy the game. Obviously the game is beautiful and the atmosphere is top notch. And I felt the gameplay while not earth shattering was serviceable. The shooting felt good and I did enjoy the futuristic weapons, but the AI definitely was lacking. I did only play on normal but I felt I could take any shot from enemies and just line up head shots quite easily. Also the lycans encounters felt tense at first but were sadly nothing special.

I do hope that this game gets a sequel as I do think there is a lot of potential. And ya the game is short and the replay ability is limited. But for me that's not a big deal, for others I can understand it being an issue, but I would still recommend this game to others to experience at some point.

Hopefully this game ends up being like Assassin's Creed 1 that set the foundation and can evolve the series into something great. If I had to give the game the score I'd probably put it around 7.5. Definitely worth checking out.

My brother and I really enjoyed the game. Hope it does well and the sequel can build upon the good stuff.

Pre-ordered the game and after all these middling to bad reviews came in I was thinking this must be the first bad pre-order of your life. Glad it turned out great imo.

Just do it a lot and the trophy will ping. I got it on the final chapter, where I started doing a few things like that to mop up some trophies. You don't have any control over where Gray aims while using Blacksight, but if you use an automatic weapon or that three-shot pistol you'll get some headshots.

Top Bottom