• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

jimquisition rated the order much higher than he did dying light and I enjoyed dying light, so its good to know the order is better than the best selling game last month /sarcasm

with discounted psn cards and 15 back for 100 the order even at list becomes almost cheap. I will get it and play it through and enjoy the ride, but keep it to demo to non gamers or console skeptics just how spectacular games can look.

jowell24

Has anyone noticed there are no character reflections whatsoever!

I was standing right in front of a mirror and wham! No reflection....

Thank you for reminding me. That annoyed me a bit haha

I was keen on checking out Galahad and the image reflection quality in the mirror but nooo... someone was too lazy to code it.

Probably spent their time adjusting the height of sandbags ;)

Contra 3 is a short game with no unlockables which happens to be one of my favorites of all time. The variety was in the game proper. That was 23 years ago though.

When it was released Contra 3 was a jaw dropping experience for the blood pumping extreme non-stop action like anything ever seen before. TO1886 gameplay-wise is utterly mediocre and forgettable. 23 years later. What a step back we took.

You can maybe compare Vanquish or MGR to Contra Spirits.

Daffy Duck

I had a despatch order email earlier for this, totally forgot I preordered it, sadly I think I'm going to pass on it and send it back.

I was 50/50 on keeping it, I'm not fussed on the length really if it's 5 hours if fun then cool, but the fact that's then split again into cinematics...no thanks.

I honestly don't understand this way of thinking. Why are you playing in the first place? Is it just to unlock stuff and play it again harder? These things should be minor footnotes to the overall experience and yet they're now seemingly mandatory.

Contra 3 is a short game with no unlockables which happens to be one of my favorites of all time. The variety was in the game proper. That was 23 years ago though.

Part of the overall experience is replaying the game for some even more so being a TPS.
I have the game pre order but standards change over time and a game is going to be judge compare to it peers .
For eg i pay $60 for UC2, UC3 and TLOU and even if you don't count the multiplayer the amount of content and replay ability they have compare to this game is a lot .
Also i love contra 3 but you are forgetting it also had a lot of replay value , co op , speed runs , high score runs , 1CCing , going threw game with only a certain weapon etc etc.

When it was released Contra 3 was a jaw dropping experience for the blood pumping extreme non-stop action like anything ever seen before. TO1886 gameplay-wise is utterly mediocre and forgettable. 23 years later. What a step back we took.

You can maybe compare Vanquish or MGR to Contra Spirits.
Yep, because the order is the only game thats coming out this year. Woe to the industry.

Contra comparison is wacky though

Loudninja

dark impressions
I'll be honest, while I see its flaws clearly, I really enjoyed The Order. It was a brief but satisfying experience. After failing to get more than 20% of the way through various sandbox games in the past few months it was actually refreshing.

JohngPR

What's the consensus on the normal difficulty? If it's too easy, I don't mind bumping it to Hard. I usually play games on normal though.

SSReborn

What's the consensus on the normal difficulty? If it's too easy, I don't mind bumping it to Hard. I usually play games on normal though.
Most played on hard the first go through including me but I'd suggest medium to be honest just based on the fact it allows you to navigate the playspace a bit more but technically you can switch at any time and it won't effect anything in relation to trophies.
Surely the AI also changes depending on the difficulty, no? Or does it stay the same? Anyone found out yet?
The AI behaviours are pretty much the same.

I received these messages from someone on my friends list after he realised that I have an early copy of The Order:

15962645644_1302743783_o.jpg

XD

dark impressions

This is actually a good point. It's the antithesis to the open world epidemic we have at the moment. It strips that all out, even the "exploration elements" are mostly in side rooms or on the way to the next objective. It's a perfect change of pace if you are feeling open world fatigue.

I had a despatch order email earlier for this, totally forgot I preordered it, sadly I think I'm going to pass on it and send it back.

I was 50/50 on keeping it, I'm not fussed on the length really if it's 5 hours if fun then cool, but the fact that's then split again into cinematics...no thanks.

I'm on chapter 10 of 16(?) and about 10 hours into playing it, bar 30-40 mins for food an toilet breaks, and I've done more shooting than watching. Gunplay is one of my favourite parts too.

Well, I've just finished the intro. It was pretty great, despite the overabundance of QTEs. Holy shit at the visuals; I know it looks good in screenshots, videos etc but this really does need to be seen to be believed!

Topfuel

Just finished the game. Summed up:

-Looks stunning.
-Amazing artwork.
-Meh story and gameplay.

Almost as if RAD ran out of money or was pressured to release it early.

i can't remember which 1up podcast this was said on but apparently developers have a pretty good idea of how their game is going to review and they aren't deluded enough to think their game is better than it is, and i think this was reiterated in a reunion show when a lot of staff had gone over to development as well

Amir0x

Banned
Looks not so good for this game if I add up all the cautionary measures mentioned by many posters. Even amongst my trusted neoGAF reviewer list, the game is not holding up well amongst those who played it. That's usually a pretty bad sign for the potential for me to enjoy the product, given how I decide my list.

That's a really bitter taste, 'cause I like third person shooters and I have no inclination toward a game having some nebulous imaginary "next-gen gameplay" in order to fit my desire for a PS4 game. Nevertheless, I do expect the mechanics to be well polished and to offer a level of control that is simultaneously precise and enjoyable. Sadly this seems not to be the case. Everyone just says the Thermite weapon is cool, that's the only universally positive commentary I've seen about the arsenal and gameplay.

I am on the line whether it's worth even taking a risk given the way I am looking at my money these days, because I am a graphics whore and I do plenty of times think a videogame is worth it on the sheer value of its subjectively unbelievable visual engine. That engine has to be truly spectacular though to overcome shortcomings. I definitely think it's hard to argue that this is probably the greatest looking console game of all time, but is that enough to overcome the mountain of other problems associated with their effort to be the greatest looking console game?

It's just videogames but it's a hard choice to make!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Looks not so good for this game if I add up all the cautionary measures mentioned by many posters. Even amongst my trusted neoGAF reviewer list, the game is not holding up well amongst those who played it. That's usually a pretty bad sign for the potential for me to enjoy the product, given how I decide my list.

That's a really bitter taste, 'cause I like third person shooters and I have no inclination toward a game having some nebulous imaginary "next-gen gameplay" in order to fit my desire for a PS4 game. Nevertheless, I do expect the mechanics to be well polished and to offer a level of control that is simultaneously precise and enjoyable. Sadly this seems not to be the case. Everyone just says the Thermite weapon is cool, that's the only universally positive commentary I've seen about the arsenal and gameplay.

I am on the line whether it's worth even taking a risk given the way I am looking at my money these days, because I am a graphics whore and I do plenty of times think a videogame is worth it on the sheer value of its subjectively unbelievable visual engine. I definitely think it's hard to argue that this is probably the greatest looking console game of all time, but is that enough to overcome the mountain of other problems associated with their effort to be the greatest looking console game?

Nothing wrong with waiting for a price drop or something. I just hope you stream your playthrough because I'd love to see how you approach this after Bioshock Infinite and TLoU play times.

In all honesty, I was a but put off by the reviews, and more by the comments around here (of people who didnt play the game mostly), so I decided to open up Twitch...and then I realize I really need to play this game, so the thought of cancelling my pre-order quickly vanished from my head. Watching the gameplay and small bits of story seems exacly like my type of game, and I keep getting more and more excited to try it out.

Frillen

I am on the line whether it's worth even taking a risk given the way I am looking at my money these days, because I am a graphics whore and I do plenty of times think a videogame is worth it on the sheer value of its subjectively unbelievable visual engine. That engine has to be truly spectacular though to overcome shortcomings. I definitely think it's hard to argue that this is probably the greatest looking console game of all time, but is that enough to overcome the mountain of other problems associated with their effort to be the greatest looking console game?

The Thermite is fun to use. The problem though, is that you're only able to use it three times during the game.

KooopaKid

Banned

I didn't know you were such a graphics whore. Amir0x you disappoint me! :p

There's a bunch. I've seen Nathan Drake, Joel, Ellie, Kratos, and several others but usually they're not available publicly.

Yeah, i've seen the XDev Community Manager posting them on her Twitter account

b82hewiimaeujqu2uu8o.jpg

b9-ntyzieaatktta7jbo.jpg

I always thought that they were only made for Sony employees or just one offs to celebrate the launch of a new game.

curb

Banned
Yeah, i've seen the XDev Community Manager posting them on her Twitter account

b82hewiimaeujqu2uu8o.jpg

I always thought that they were only made for Sony employees or just one offs to celebrate the launch of a new game.

Oh man I'd love to have some of those Sack- wait?! Is that an Iota?! Do want!

Top Bottom