• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

flkraven

Anyway to tell how many users have gotten themselves banned/asked to be banned after the event?

Be nice to see member before and after figures

What's weird is there are a ton of people coming out of the woodwork that I don't recognize. I've been on GAF every day for like 5 years now, and I've never seen more people that I don't "recognize" than I do now.

Good points.

It all boils down to one question: can you still be a part of NeoGaf with it's rules and terms even if the CEO does not follow those rules in RL? I took me one day to answer this question with "yes". At the end of the day this is just a fucking message board - this is not a state, a religion, a philosophic school etc.

There are things I've pointed out in this thread I don't really like about NeoGaf - would I leave the site because of it: No. I will try my best to avoid any drama and focus on the one thing I've came here in the first place: news, gaming discussions, funny rumors.

I will try to avoid every thread related to hot topics (gender, racism, politics) like the plague - here I draw the line - under the current circumstances this is not what I want to discuss here. And this is not Evilore's fault alone.

The problem I have had in the past is that Evilore and the mods follow the rules when it suits and other times nuke posts and threads and ban people for having valid but different opinions. This is why I often avoided OT because it just wasn't worth it.

Chariot

The situation in Madrid was an assault of sorts and something that is common in any club you go to where people get drunk and men become idiots.
That's your defense for that behavior? Men will be men?

It's not like Evilore regretted his actions, he doubled down on them in the forum. From his side this wasn't a drunken mistake, it was something positive, something he prided himself in.

Wienstine was harassing women who did not feel the same way. This is thing you people are failing to see in this case. She admits she liked him before the shower incident, and after was not disgusted he had exposed himself to her. She later jumped into bed with him and felt those parts he exposed to her ( this is the reality) and you people need to stop overreacting to things you read on the internet or hear from others

So it's fine if I sexually assault a woman, because I know she's into me?

I don't know where you are getting some of this stuff.

She admits she liked him before the shower incident, and after was not disgusted he had exposed himself to her. She later jumped into bed with him and felt those parts he exposed to her ( this is the reality) and you people need to stop overreacting to things you read on the internet or hear from others

I've not seen her say anything about this. Could I get some citation?

EvilLore is a public figure. Asking on his forum for his side of the story is not overreacting. Overreacting is bringing the site down, banning all politics threads and removing OT.

Dierce

This... this is so fucking true....

There was no actual "discussion" here on GAF for a very long time.

You either agreed to the agenda and be quiet or you are going to face a mob of people ready to smear and vilify you in a way that honestly was cruel and appalling.

The bullying that went on if you dared to voice your even somehwat different opinion (while being gang banged by 20 people throwing names at you) was unbelievable.

Yet no bans were thrown for all that bullying, or rather bans were been given away but mostly to those who were victims of this.

The hypocrisy of people presenting themselves as individuals who want to have a better world, a world that treats humans better and yet they are ready to crucify you online the moment you even dare to voice your opinion that differs from theirs is just ugly.

There was always a 4chan or gamefaqs or a million other similar sites to share antiGAF opinions. They would commend you for saying stuff like 'NeoGAF hates white people.' I'm glad that was never part of this site. But I guess it isn't enough for people who want to see justice and equality prevail to be given a platform, the other side wants full control.

Oh wow, what a ride. Never thought of EviLore as a normal person up until now. With all the far left mods gone maybe all the cancer of this forum will be ripped out in one fell swoop. Now what's left is to get the good reputation back from years ago, or at least get it on restorative track, and then sell the website when market value gets back to six zeroes. Brilliant. In the meantime, can we speak freely?

I think games are pure art, and i love them for this. I'm a grown ass man and i don't need man-children preaching about what is the right way to live. I'm centrist, a good person, in two months - hopefully a good father. Get the fuck off my GAF to reddit and jerk each others morally superior wieners there. I'm here for the games and err.. anime.

Also, Bioware can suck my cock. Both of EvilWithin games are mediocre clunky throwbacks. Last of Us 2 trailer is cringe to the max. Best 2016 game is Axiom Verge. No one actually likes Sunset Overdrive, and american "football" is actually poor mans rugby.

muZc6kq.jpg

Lul.

Wienstine was harassing women who did not feel the same way. This is thing you people are failing to see in this case. She admits she liked him before the shower incident, and after was not disgusted he had exposed himself to her. She later jumped into bed with him and felt those parts he exposed to her ( this is the reality) and you people need to stop overreacting to things you read on the internet or hear from others

[citation needed]

Permanently A

What's weird is there are a ton of people coming out of the woodwork that I don't recognize. I've been on GAF every day for like 5 years now, and I've never seen more people that I don't "recognize" than I do now.

Juniors that never posted for fear of being banned are posting. I supposed that the total member count will remain somewhat static - its the active users which have changed.

Good points.

It all boils down to one question: can you still be a part of NeoGaf with it's rules and terms even if the CEO does not follow those rules in RL? I took me one day to answer this question with "yes". At the end of the day this is just a fucking message board - this is not a state, a religion, a philosophic school etc.

Fuck me, what a cop out.

In other words, you think it's true but you're going to ignore it? Therefore pretty much enabling such behaviour and giving it a free pass?

ilbambino

All those people nuking their accounts are attention whores. Don't want to post here anymore? Log off and don't come back. Some will be missed, some won't.

Old Empire.

That's your defense for that behavior? Men will be men?

It's not like Evilore regretted his actions, he doubled down on them in the forum. From his side this wasn't a drunken mistake, it was something positive, something he prided himself in.

She had a sexual relationship with him. It not like he rode off into the sunset and she never heard from him again. I would not blame him for feeling disturbed by this attack against his character.

ExVicis

But oftentimes... the disagreement to the consensus was racist, sexist, etc.

Not really no. I know for a fact a lot of it was often trivial in the scheme of things. I remember a huge argument about an Interview with Bannon started because people were tired of a thread talking about Bannon's shitty appearance instead of the shit he said in an interview. So the people talking about his appearance got upset and attempted to make it seem like those upset were Bannon apologists. It was fucking astounding. That was the kind of shit that happened all over Off-Topic.

Gaius

Banned
You are going to be an awful father.
Haha you made my day.
Apparently you're not as grown as you think
I still have some ways to go but i think you never fully grow up without raising your child.
Neither you nor Evilore are remotely close to being a normal person.
We all could be better.
Does post count brings you legitimacy? Been lurking for 7 years though if that means anything in your world.

Kyzer

Banned

That's not what happened at all. She said she thought of him as a friend lol. And that they had consensual sex at another date after all this but that this advance was unwanted at the time

Chariot

There are some Gaffers that mostly lurked. I don't think it's right to dismiss people solely on their post counter.

Wanna play the internet rep game? Try my post counter.
She had a sexual relationship with him. It not like he rode off into the sunset and she never heard from him again. I would not blame him for feeling disturbed by this attack against his character.
Are you sure we're on the same page here. Because I am referring to the situation from his Eurotrip in 2012.

All those people nuking their accounts are attention whores. Don't want to post here anymore? Log off and don't come back. Some will be missed, some won't.

ilbambino
Total Posts: 241 (0.06 posts per day)

You definitely wouldn't. You don't contribute shit.

Chorazin

easy there tiger... the human body is a beautiful thing and I'm not sure how this particular situation can be construed as assault.

Is it such a big deal because of the implication of the act? Or because she didn't want her naked body to be seen?

Sure it's weird and I most definitely wouldn't have the balls to do it, but didn't he abide by her nonconsent?

Are you somehow trying to imply that not wanting her "naked body" to be seen is wrong? That he had a right to get into the shower and see her nude?

Also, she never claimed sexual assault, she claimed sexual harassment which is different. Still scummy, but different.

valkyre

There was always a 4chan or gamefaqs or a million other similar sites to share antiGAF opinions. They would commend you for saying stuff like 'NeoGAF hates white people.' I'm glad that was never part of this site. But I guess it isn't enough for people who want to see justice and equality prevail to be given a platform, the other side wants full control.

What are you saying? That either be at GAF and shut up or leave and go somewhere else?

Is that actually the solution? Not to ever be able to have proper dialogue without being dicks to each other the first moment someone disagrees with the flow? To express my thoughts and concerns?

I do not get the logic behind this.

I do not even monitor much the offtopic GAF nor do I "need" to go onto some other website to start a smear campaign about GAF... I am not 12.

Vire

The most unbelievable part is that it took him two days to construct a post explaining why he hasn't posted anything rather than addressing and talking about the issue directly.

Not really no. I know for a fact a lot of it was often trivial in the scheme of things. I remember a huge argument about an Interview with Bannon started because people were tired of a thread talking about Bannon's shitty appearance instead of the shit he said in an interview. So the people talking about his appearance got upset and attempted to make it seem like those upset were Bannon apologists. It was fucking astounding. That was the kind of shit that happened all over Off-Topic.

Yeah, I hated that. It just fed to the notion people had about NeoGAF making an outrage over anything. I can only hope this site and the alternative can avoid it. (Although this one will probably avoid it for all the wrong reasons)

Typical

Banned
The most unbelievable part is that it took him two days to construct a post explaining why he hasn't posted anything rather than addressing and talking about the issue directly.

Perhaps the shit storm and typical over reaction by some didn't help matters

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I highly doubt Evilore is following this thread but I would like to post some suggestions.

1. Allow polite political discourse - this means allowing people to talk about the politics of a game in the polite "agree to disagree" manner. You can start banning when somebody steps out of line and starts calling someone names or just generally becoming indignant.

2. Instruct mods to be as apolitical as possible - people should be banned for getting out of control, not because they disagree with someone else. If someone truly has horrible ideas they will expose themselves and get mocked to kingdom come by the user base. The posters here are perfectly capable of handling different opinions and they can also put people on ignore.

3. This may be controversial but a voting system for posts might be good. IDK, this can also be bad so maybe its not a good idea.

4. Make dog piling and drive by posting bannable.

Vire

Yeah, I hated that. It just fed to the notion people had about NeoGAF making an outrage over anything. I can only hope this site and the alternative can avoid it. (Although this one will probably avoid it for all the wrong reasons)

The most recent one that I saw in Off-Topic that absolutely blew me away was people being outraged over mini cupcake icon in the Google Maps app.

A new low for this website and I certainly hope those people don't follow to the next. I'm all for being progressive and generally super left leaning myself, but there is a line of reasonableness.

Old Empire.

So it's fine if I sexually assault a woman, because I know she's into me?

I don't know where you are getting some of this stuff.

I've not seen her say anything about this. Could I get some citation?

EvilLore is a public figure. Asking on his forum for his side of the story is not overreacting. Overreacting is bringing the site down, banning all politics threads and removing OT.

He left the shower when asked. When did he sexually assault her against her will? Anyone with as lick of commonsense can see this is an overblown nonstory.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Well guess ill put my take on it. I misses everything that happened and the meltdown so to speak so i was left with nothing but questions until i searched the internet. For me personally i dont condone potentially what has been done by someone nor do i support it. However, I never met such an indepth community like gaf. Its been you guys and girls which make my passion for games, hockey, wrestling, politics stronger. This community means a lot to me. While the site was down i tried to find a replacement but I felt it wasnt the same. Refresh Gaf and E3's will always hold a special place in my heart and thats because of all of you. So i shall remain here on my own merit because i dont know of another place with a community like this. For the people that want to go i understand you reasons why and I applaud you, for the people who remain I'll stand with you and hopefully get back on track to the things I am passionate about listed above.

Take it easy gaffers

Perhaps the shit storm and typical over reaction by some didn't help matters

All the more reason to make a statement quickly and take control of the situation before it got larger.

But that would have required some forward, critical thinking, and I think that a specific someone might not have the requirements for that.

ExVicis

Well hopefully the mob rule mentality dies in a couple days when everything settles, but we'll see.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Glad you posted some clarification.

I cannot understand the hatred and vileness of a lot of people here. It should be about games and other entertainment topics, not attacks on each other. If you don't want to enjoy the site then move on. We don't need members being toxic. Thank you.

Typical

Banned
He left the shower when asked. When did he sexual assault her against her will? Anyone with as lick of commonsense can see this is an overblown nonstory.

Jesus Christ how has this been twisted into sexual assault...

Do people need to manufacture things so they can rage more.

Chariot

2. Instruct mods to be as apolitical as possible - people should be banned for getting out of control, not because they disagree with someone else. If someone truly has horrible ideas they will expose themselves and get mocked to kingdom come by the user base. The posters here are perfectly capable of handling different opinions and they can also put people on ignore.
That's something I like on reddit. Mods can toggle their mod color on when they say something in their position as mod and otherwise can just post as normal users. If something like that could be implemented that would be nice. That way they can still have their opinions and be taken accountable for their mod actions. That's the general thing. Make mods accountable.

Dierce

What are you saying? That either be at GAF and shut up or leave and go somewhere else?

Is that actually the solution? Not to ever be able to have proper dialogue without being dicks to each other the first moment someone disagrees with the flow? To express my thoughts and concerns?

I do not get the logic behind this.

I do not even monitor much the offtopic GAF nor do I "need" to go onto some other website to start a smear campaign about GAF... I am not 12.

The moment you give into dissent any discussion becomes a cesspool. I do not care about the opinions of the alt-right or gamergaters and I'm hopeful that the majority of NeoGAF feels the same way.

flkraven

The most recent one that I saw in Off-Topic that absolutely blew me away was people being outraged over mini cupcake icon in the Google Maps app.

A new low for this website and I certainly hope those people don't follow to the next. I'm all for being progressive and generally super left leaning myself, but there is a line of reasonableness.

As a fairly left leaning person, I agree, the offense over the cupcake thing was ridiculous. I just avoided the thread because I didn't want to 'break from the pack'.

One of the things I have found interesting is the rise of posters on other sites discrediting gaf and its entire user base. It's a shame to see the reputation get eroded as Gaf was/ hopefully is a place where sexism/ racism/ discrimination is not acceptable. Making it a much much nicer community than many out there on the internet. It almost feels like it's being attacked by those with agenda's who want to make people with those values look bad.

Neogaf isn't a blog for one person, it's a community of thousands, hopefully the recent events don't make the internet in general a less tolerant place.

Chariot

The guy got banned, but the fact that people feel like now they can make posts like this is extremely telling.
I mean, for many the site is dead, as evilores statement wasn't very satisfying for most and given that Reset and others still move forward.
you got to have a big post count on here to have your opinion taken seriously. nice.
Yep, this is part of the attitudes that made discussions terrible sometimes. Post count, time registered, content of avatar, junior status, etc.

How often do you think a member with anime avatar posted something serious and someone just quoted the avatar with a "lol", dismissing everything that was written. Didn't just go for anime avatars, but that was what I, personally, witnessed the most.

TedNindo

I`ve been here for years now but I mostly lurked. And I started lurking more and more ever since I got banned a few times for some fairly mild opinions.

As someone who`s leans towards the left but has a mind of his own I didn`t feel like I was able to express my opinions here without being bated into a ban.

So I wouldnt consider post count a fair way to judge members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom