• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tomorrow Children Open Beta : All your base are belong to us

Ferr986

I played a bit yesterday...

WTF was that?!
This game is confusing as fuck!
  • Where am I?
    In the void
  • What do I do?
    Work
  • How do I carry more than 4 items at once?
    Level STR to 10 or buy more slots with Freeman dollars
  • How are they expect me to work under these conditions?
    Because Communism
  • How Do I get some ore to offer to my City?
    Mine it from Islands and transport it back to the city with the buss
  • Which one is MY city?
    All are. Communism!
  • How do I build stuff?
    Using the work table
  • Why is everything so "free for all"?
    Communism!
  • Why do these godzila monsters take so many hits to die?
    They're big.
  • Why is everything so depressing?
    Post apocalyptic world.
  • What's the goal?
    Keep improving the city. It doesn't have an ending (for what I know). Take Minecraft as an example.
  • Why are people being allowed to build inside the cities?
    You need to expand the city with new buildings that allows diverse things-
  • Why do they spontaneously disappear?
    It's how the online works. Like Dark Souls ghosts, for example.
  • Why did it take me near 5 minutes to load to a city?
    Load times were fast for me:/
  • Why would be ever play a game about working our ass off?
    Because it's fun. And you're still on your comfy couch.
  • Why the "old communist propaganda" theme?
    Because the game is based on... Communism!
This game needs a good user made tutorial video.

Yeah I remember the cheering gatherings at the bus stop, sublime game.

Haha Yeah, big cheering gatherings around the bus. Lots of GAFfers there in the evening!

Kouriozan

I remember being bummed when I logged and saw the town devastated , but it was amazing seeing 5 of us starting to work to make GAFTown rise again!

I remember KourioZan from GAF, Pitama and ¿Cloudfuture? (dunno if they were GAFers or japanese players) working hard and cheering everyone up! It was quite amazing and fun!

That was pretty great indeed, definitely looking forward the full release.

Bastables

WTF was that?!
  • Where am I?
  • What do I do?
  • Which one is MY city?
  • How do I build stuff?
  • What's the goal?
It's meta commentary genius (the game)
https://youtu.be/LQOm7UCSiQ4

The world has been destroyed in a experiment that I infer collectivised everyone's consciousness. The way out arrived at are the deployment identical little mind robots/slaves that work collectively to impart individuality and purpose through toil, fucking glorious comrades. Glory to the worker, glory to humanity, glory to work!

Unnerving existentialist brilliance. Just think of calling the creatures Izverg or enmity between people, the disimbodied distillations of hate between people/people's. And the grefing by trolls, is just a conscious active expression of izverg. I like this game, it made me feel heart broken at the damage to gaftown by children who had become izverg :).

The game does need easier ways of controlling/punishing izverg children, with the dream izverg we can just rpg them and mine their bodies, it's logical in video game logic: you shoot baddies. Knowing you have to inflict 10 individual snubs from 10 seperate people to ban a troll from the town is not intuative, nor is realising that mines work on blued/snubbed players.

Z3M0G

So played about an hour of the beta last night, even my GF enjoyed watching me play and try to figure out how things work. I already knew a bit going in thanks to this thread and previous info.

I'm sitting on the expectation that this simply can't be a $60 game. In fact, I'd say it has a better chance of being F2P, thanks to the money mechanic that you can use to "bribe" things into completing immediately. That's a standard F2P mechanic. I don't actually expect the game to be F2P because if it was people would know it... but I do expect it to be in the $15-20 range, tops, as it does have more in common with a F2P game.

I find the activities addictive. Mining new islands would be fun (in short bursts at least) and mining monsters after they are taken down. Oddly carrying materials to/from the bus is even fun. Chopping down trees is fun. Dropping the materials down to the ground from up high so people can gather them up more quickly.

I built two sections of wall outside our town, not sure if that would even make a difference, I'm sure it keeps the critters out at least.

This is a PERFECT game to just sit back and play over VITA remote play, which makes me quite happy. I just didn't try firing a shotgun since that's something that actually uses L2/R2... I hope they mapped them to L/R properly.

Edit: One more thing, I hope the other players only being visible while doing something and not while moving is a temporary beta thing, and now their goal for final product... it would be unfortunate if you never see other players actually walking around.

Why do they spontaneously disappear?

That's unfortunate but I suppose I get it. Can you group up with other players so that you can visually run around together?

WTF was that?!
  • Where am I?
  • What do I do?
  • Which one is MY city?
  • How do I build stuff?
  • What's the goal?

Did you even get beyond the title screen- or am I missing the joke here?

My 2 cents:
1. The crafted indicator at the workbench should show number of structure actually "created" and "crafted" in the world as oppose to just "crafted". In some cases people are watefully crafting things, because they don't know it is already availble or they dont realize mandate cost is too high.

For example, I've noticed that in certain large towns newcomers will create townhalls at the workbench (thinking they can increase housing limit), and then abandon the construction post after learning the mandate cost is too high. Then some other newcomer comes along and repeat the same process to waste resources. In one large town I was in, there were 6 abandoned town hall posts scattered around.

2. There needs to be better incentive for people to build residences ASAP or settle into a new town. Later into the beta/game, people have more incentive to flock to large towns for the shops or for the large community present (GAF/reddit.) Those same people are also more inctivized to wait forever to build residence in these large towns. Hence, you will see towns where there are 25 comrades when there are only 15 housing spots. Meanwhile, small towns are left to die cause they cant attract newcomers once others are established.

I also think people miss out on some of the experiences by going straight for the large towns like GAF town.

3. Townhalls either need a seperate mineral to upgrade or some better indicator/tutorial for depositing metals. There is a reason why so many towns have more comrades than housing slots.

Those are some great points (especially number one) that I hope Dylan and his team pick up on.

Only possible bug I saw was the bus going through buildings rather than altering it's route. Other than that I'm really looking forward to it release.

Goes without saying but the look and feel of this game is spot on!

Number45

Did you even get beyond the title screen- or am I missing the joke here?
You're implying that the game does a good job of explaining itself. I played through the tutorial, rode the bus to a town and then had no idea what to do next (I knew I was supposed to gather resources but had no idea where to go to get it).

I understand it's intentional, but it doesn't make those questions invalid. I had very limited time over the weekend but my current opinion of the game is that you get dumped into the world and then need to stumble around working out what to do or how to do it (or both).

I also understand that this was a beta and not a demo, but for someone that has some interest in the game (largely due to the aesthetic) this has cooled it considerably.

Shito

This is a very bad comparison: ghosts in Souls game never interfere with your own world, they are just... well, ghosts.
Here the other villagers appear and disappear in front of you, all the while *interacting* all the time with your world. This creates a feeling a confusion, because a lot of things are happening "from thin air". I only played a little bit yesterday, got into an island, mined a block which created 3 resources, carried one of them to the bus stop, and when I came back the two other resources were gone. I did not see *one* person the whole time. The first assumption you are going to get in this kind of situation is "well, the game is bugged, or my resources disappeared with time", not "ok, the other villagers carried the two other rocks to the bus, but I couldn't see any of it".
This is a very bad design choice in my opinion, it makes everything behave reaaally strangely, with things appearing and disappearing in a puff of smoke...

Yeah, I didn't enjoy the game. ^^

Z3M0G

This is a very bad comparison: ghosts in Souls game never interfere with your own world, they are just... well, ghosts.
Here the other villagers appear and disappear in front of you, all the while *interacting* all the time with your world. This creates a feeling a confusion, because a lot of things are happening "from thin air". I only played a little bit yesterday, got into an island, mined a block which created 3 resources, carried one of them to the bus stop, and when I came back the two other resources were gone. I did not see *one* person the whole time. The first assumption you are going to get in this kind of situation is "well, the game is bugged, or my resources disappeared with time", not "ok, the other villagers carried the two other rocks to the bus, but I couldn't see any of it".
This is a very bad design choice in my opinion, it makes everything behave reaaally strangely, with things appearing and disappearing in a puff of smoke...

That's why I was hoping it was a temporary netcode limitation for Beta perhaps... that communicating everyone's position wasn't working smoothly for the moment. The reveal trailer made it look a bit more like you'd see other players moving around... at least you see them flying around. It is kind of a mix of both.

HiVision

It's meta commentary genius (the game)
https://youtu.be/LQOm7UCSiQ4

The world has been destroyed in a experiment that I infer collectivised everyone's consciousness. The way out arrived at are the deployment identical little mind robots/slaves that work collectively to impart individuality and purpose through toil, fucking glorious comrades. Glory to the worker, glory to humanity, glory to work!

Unnerving existentialist brilliance. Just think of calling the creatures Izverg or enmity between people, the disimbodied distillations of hate between people/people's. And the grefing by trolls, is just a conscious active expression of izverg. I like this game, it made me feel heart broken at the damage to gaftown by children who had become izverg :).

haha, welcome to my world.
But yeah, the Izverg and other creatures are manifestations of the bad parts of all those molten human consciousnesses, as are the islands. Don't look down too hard as you cross the soft parts of the Void, you don't know what you might see!

The game does need easier ways of controlling/punishing izverg children, with the dream izverg we can just rpg them and mine their bodies, it's logical in video game logic: you shoot baddies. Knowing you have to inflict 10 individual snubs from 10 seperate people to ban a troll from the town is not intuative, nor is realising that mines work on blued/snubbed players.

We have stuff in the pipe to help with all this and we'll work with everyone even after launch to find ways to make it even better without removing the cross-collaborative neo-marxism nature of the game.

Ferr986

Yeah I know it's not the best example but couldn't think on another one. It's kind of the same but the implications on this game are bigger.

I agree players should always show, but if they did it this way it has to be for some reason.

At the end I ended up adapting to it. The whistle is key for communication IMO. For example, I could still point places (like small caves with ores, resources, gift) using the whistle. Because of how hard is to see people, everyone is so receptive when they hear a whistle.

Of course that doesn't mean I wouldn't be happy if they could make players to be always visible.

haha, welcome to my world.
But yeah, the Izverg and other creatures are manifestations of the bad parts of all those molten human consciousnesses, as are the islands. Don't look down too hard as you cross the soft parts of the Void, you don't know what you might see!

The Void stuff is creepy as hell. Wonder if we learn more about wth happened story-wise in the full game.

I really enjoyed my time with the game. I like how it's a little bit hectic in organisation, but most players try to logically place things ... everyone should have an input. Maybe templates for suggested organisation, or a birds eye view of the town can influence or educate the players on what to do.

I like the idea of animals you can either hunt for food, or catch and raise at the town.

Bastables

Yeah I know it's not the best example but couldn't think on another one. It's kind of the same but the implications on this game are bigger.

I agree players should always show, but if they did it this way it has to be for some reason.

At the end I ended up adapting to it. The whistle is key for communication IMO. For example, I could still point places (like small caves with ores, resources, gift) using the whistle. Because of how hard is to see people, everyone is so receptive when they hear a whistle.

Of course that doesn't mean I wouldn't be happy if they could make players to be always visible.

The Void stuff is creepy as hell. Wonder if we learn more about wth happened story-wise in the full game.
The phasing in and out of projections is creepy magnificent, the humans the Ai are always visible. The projections/children, the ones driven by actual humans phase in and out like some sort of jamais vu monsters. The real people, not Ai humanity are only recognised by their Plato like shadows.

andylsun

Really cool to watch the Announce Trailer again after spending a lot of time playing this weekend. About the only thing I didn't see was the big robot at 1:17

Got to level 10 and had a blast. Friday night was great with a group in party chat with mics. The griefing was annoying - someone was shooting rockets at the ministry of labour on Sunday morning for some reason and I couldn't see them to snub them.

I switched between mining, carrying materials and defending all weekend. Didn't get into crafting or building at all as I struggled with the sliding block tiles.

Looking forward to the full release, and it will be interesting to see how the player count goes over the first month or so.

levskisofiq

Neo Member
I played almost until the end of the beta and had a blast. This game has so much potential but I hope dealing with trolls becomes more manageable in the full game. Most of the time i spent playing in Mikhzhek and moments like upgrading the town hall to level 3 were truly unique. I spent some time on all the activities including running on the electricity treadmills and even though i found that to be the most boring activity you could still try to go for the high score on the current treadmill which was some kind of an incentive to keep going. The cheering at the bus station was fun. Mining the islands became a lot more productive once I learned that some players are dedicated to carrying the resources back to the bus station. I always carried one doll on my way back from an island since it doesn't take an inventory slot. At some point I started activating those green gems that drop from monsters and placing them towards the town hall so that people know where to carry the metal. I'm not sure if that helped at all. Also, the game is just beautiful. I kept taking screenshots. The second currency in game seems like the kind of thing you sell with micro transactions, which would be a bummer if that's the case. I mainly used the shotgun from the items that can be bought from the radio shop, but a lot of useful items also dropped from chests on the islands.

Rob85Fr

Neo Member
Feedback time for me also :D
So, sadly I haven't been able to play the game as much as I did during the last beta, but I succeed to try every mechanics I wanted.
Btw, I know that this beta was basically on for server testing purpose (if I'm correct), so I know that some things need to be implemented, but globally, the game was way smoother/less buggy for me than during the previous beta, and, for example, the loading indications during the train part (when you access to a new city) are really helpful.

As said 3 pages before, the anti-grief system is a bit problematic, a sort of net gun would be cool, but again, I don't know if this match the developers goals/ideas (or other more traditional ban system).

Another thing that I'm scared of, is, in a way, the lack of content. I know that due to the political context established inside the game, getting thousands of items wouldn't be a thing, maybe. But I really think that for example, getting some rare items that you can get while digging would be awesome (or, another thing coming in my mind, the possibility that a political personality (as it's sometimes said in the phone) would bring various rare items to the city, such as statues, why not also through a online system looking like the online mystery events taking place in Pokemon games).
I know this game isn't meant to be a new Animal Crossing, but integrating this rare items notion would maybe extend its lifetime.
Also, I was scared about the island repetition, but you said that more are coming, so that's perfect ;)

Some other things in addition to a previous feedback I wrote here :
- I don't know why (that's maybe my controller), I have the impression that the phone is coming up even if I didn't pressed the button. That's surely me.
- It would be great to get an access in bag to the items we are mining, if we want to throw/use one of them for example.
- Actually it's a bit complicated to use the circle button to auto load items (because it's interfering with other near objects), maybe activate the function when the button is pressed longer, or using another button ?
- I can't mining anymore using the rocket launcher or explosives shells :'-(
In the previous beta I was able to extract materials using these explosives things. Now everything is destroyed :(
- The hover tank seems to use carbon materials way faster than before (?)
- The TPS camera of the hover tank is annoying sometimes, like for example, if I'm upping the launcher sight I can't really see what's in up.

About the only thing I didn't see was the big robot at 1:17

OMG DAMN I totally forgot this, Dylan, I need to use this robot. I NEED IT OMG.

That's it. Again, these are the games I'm waiting the most : FFXV, TLG, GR2 and this one, TTC. I really think that The Tomorrow Children is this sort of innovative game that lot of game journalists will speak about as a new experience in the future years, as some PS1 era game, like Kula World, Kurushi or LSD, among others. The atmosphere, the graphics and the musics are gorgeous. Voila !

Hey everyone, thanks for playing, Dylan here - the director of this crazy experiment.

All your comments have been noted and even though a lot of the stuff is in there for the launch, some other bits and pieces are still being decided and thanks to everyone's amazing input some of those decisions have been made easier! Some changes might not make it for launch day but we plan to work with the community and to develop the game and the ideas with everyone together.

Sorry about the co-op crash, that was a last minute thing that came up just before we went live and we couldn't fix it in time (we did list it up on the bugs page but yeah.. not many people go and read that unfortunately).

ok, there should be just over an hour left of the beta test... time to go and visit a few towns and see what people have made!
Some pieces of feedback:

- I feel like collecting apples can be streamlined. Once your village has a makeshift garden set up for an ample food supply, it can become needlessly difficult to collect all of them, especially if others decide to plant a sapling too close to another existing tree, which in turn leads to accidental tree shaking (or picking up another nearby resource) since those actions share the same button. Given how many apples there can be in that context, it can quickly become a timesink. Their color (or rather, the lack thereof) also makes them easy to miss if wedged in between something else unlike all the other resources, as well as their small size making the routine of harvesting them more finicky than it needs to be. Some of this would arguably be a non-issue if this was the one resource the NPC villagers would automatically pick up and add to the stockpile once players remove them from the trees, since they're already performing other small tasks inside the towns while regularly encouraging you to find more food.

- I wish the game highlighted the importance of upgrading the Town Hall with iron. Tried showing others this via whistling, placing a flare, positioning a chunk visibly next to it and whatnot, but most players didn't get the hint and instead plonked it down over at the stockpile. Achieving the next tier becomes a very slow process then especially if you're not lucky with the island spawns. Would be neat if you could transfer some of the stockpile iron over to the Town Hall, maybe with a cooldown period to avoid potential abuse cases, or otherwise immediately expose players to the quest given to you by that one NPC who hands out the licenses.

- The green rocks the Izverg drop appear to be very abundant. Seems like it's an underused resource for crafting et al, but I don't know if it's something that'll be more in demand the more advanced your village becomes or with some of the game's yet to be shown quirks.

- Not sure about this, but I got the impression Freeman Dollars were bugged in this build. I'm aware you receive a sizeable daily bonus this time around so I figure it might be a conscious balance decision, but the random drops were far more frequent for me during the previous beta phase to the point less than a handful of drops triggered for me over the span of 3 hours. It was rather jarring.​

Had a fun time and looking forward to hearing more about the game this E3.

Ferr986

Dead Izverg desintegrating inside the city.

D2wvbeM.jpg

Vz4ExFu.jpg

Looked beautiful. Dat framerate though.

Ferr986

Did it tank just for that particular moment? I had straight up crashes back to the main menu aplenty, but no noticeable frame rate drops. Everything ran pretty smoothly for me.

Framerate goes to shit everytime any of these desintegrations happens, be a big Izverg or an island. I guess it's due to the big number of particles that leaves the animation.

Normal gameplay was more or less fine, some random drops here and there but nothing too important.

HiVision

Feedback time for me also :D
As said 3 pages before, the anti-grief system is a bit problematic, a sort of net gun would be cool, but again, I don't know if this match the developers goals/ideas (or other more traditional ban system).

Another thing that I'm scared of, is, in a way, the lack of content. I know that due to the political context established inside the game, getting thousands of items wouldn't be a thing, maybe. But I really think that for example, getting some rare items that you can get while digging would be awesome (or, another thing coming in my mind, the possibility that a political personality (as it's sometimes said in the phone) would bring various rare items to the city, such as statues, why not also through a online system looking like the online mystery events taking place in Pokemon games).

Lots of content, events and other such things are planned so rest assured your prayers will be answered :)
Griefing will be *much* more controllable too.

As Dylan says, there is a lot more in the full game than was shown in the beta, and the beefing up of anti-griefing is already underway. There's a strange mix of freedom and order that we're trying to maintain while making sure that the core game remains enjoyable for everyone, so there will be a need to balance as we see more things happening that perhaps weren't considered initially.

AmyS

Hey everyone, thanks for playing, Dylan here - the director of this crazy experiment.

All your comments have been noted and even though a lot of the stuff is in there for the launch, some other bits and pieces are still being decided and thanks to everyone's amazing input some of those decisions have been made easier! Some changes might not make it for launch day but we plan to work with the community and to develop the game and the ideas with everyone together.

Sorry about the co-op crash, that was a last minute thing that came up just before we went live and we couldn't fix it in time (we did list it up on the bugs page but yeah.. not many people go and read that unfortunately).

ok, there should be just over an hour left of the beta test... time to go and visit a few towns and see what people have made!

I enjoyed it, definitely on my list of games to get. It was great to be able to try this out even though I didn't understand everything, but it's a game I'm willing to put time into, unlike say... Minecraft.

Love how the lighting looks :)

TAKE MY MONEY NOWWW!

thanks for posting dylan. I can see myself playing this a bit. It sort of reminds me of don't starve but not quite :)

I'll have some more feedback in a second, but one of the biggest ones would be to direct players to the Information Center. A lot of people are bumbling around, and reading through some of the entries explained quite a bit to me. Obviously, I think it should be more organic than just that, but it's a great resource for those stuck on particular things.

And with that, make some of the entries a little less cryptic. It works within the confines of the game's themes, but sometimes it's a little too off on what something actually does.

TyrantII

I kinda wish there was a city planner, maybe by vote in elections. Even if you allow anyone to build anything, let the planner move anything and designate districts. The Fatherland would never stand for such disorganization and chaos!

Town halls getting constructed a mile away from the bus and storage depot were a bit annoying. They need a feed me icon.

Otherwise, I had a lot of fun. I'm just worried about price/content/gameplay. Not sure I can justify $60 full price (if it's that) for a game of filling XP bars and staying ahead of resource depletion. But, I also had a lot of fun with the Beta figuring it all out.

Personally, I like how the phantoms work (coming from souls). That said, comrade phantoms that are performing actions should probably stick around longer in view, such as moving materials, blowing whistles, and attacking.

I kinda wish there was a city planner, maybe by vote in elections. Even if you allow anyone to build anything, let the planner move anything and designate districts. The Fatherland would never stand for such disorganization and chaos!

Town halls getting constructed a mile away from the bus and storage depot were a bit annoying. They need a feed me icon.

Otherwise, I had a lot of fun. I'm just worried about price/content/gameplay. Not sure I can justify $60 full price (if it's that) for a game of filling XP bars and staying ahead of resource depletion. But, I also had a lot of fun with the Beta figuring it all out.

Personally, I like how the phantoms work (coming from souls). That said, comrade phantoms that are performing actions should probably stick around longer in view, such as moving materials, blowing whistles, and attacking.

Yeah me too, for the voting. At least for the "next building" or priority building to make.

Like i had 1 request, to built a turret in a certain town. But i had so muuuch trouble to try to make a police station, then a turret. And we were defenseless as hell lol. But i think some people had RPG so they didnt mind.

Or they just wanted a house, is building your own house is important? Give you a perk or dont know? I thought it was for the villager and change clothes ( i could change clothes in other house )

I'm not english btw :p sorry xD

Rob85Fr

Neo Member
Lots of content, events and other such things are planned so rest assured your prayers will be answered :)
Griefing will be *much* more controllable too.

As Dylan says, there is a lot more in the full game than was shown in the beta, and the beefing up of anti-griefing is already underway. There's a strange mix of freedom and order that we're trying to maintain while making sure that the core game remains enjoyable for everyone, so there will be a need to balance as we see more things happening that perhaps weren't considered initially.

<3 <3 :eek:h_hand: (damn I can't put that hand smiley up :'( )

Can't wait to play the final release (btw take your time :D )

PS : Also, I fastly read again the feedback posted on PS Community forum, and I was saying that I wasn't in love with the hover tank handling, but It seems that I have been used to it in the last beta, so... I don't know anymore :)

andylsun

A group of us standing around the bus stop using Praise kept reminding me of the fatboy slim video for Praise You. We may need to see if we can do that in game.

Samemind

I'll have some more feedback in a second, but one of the biggest ones would be to direct players to the Information Center. A lot of people are bumbling around, and reading through some of the entries explained quite a bit to me. Obviously, I think it should be more organic than just that, but it's a great resource for those stuck on particular things.

And with that, make some of the entries a little less cryptic. It works within the confines of the game's themes, but sometimes it's a little too off on what something actually does.

Solution: build the knowledge center facing towards the subway station and build letter signs that spell out READ ME

DKHF

Is this a sign it will be coming out soon?

I just hope its not until December (PSX).
Drawn to Death has had its trophies up since November and the final release still hasn't happened yet so this might not be a sign that it's imminent (though I think it is).

Guymelef

Drawn to Death has had its trophies up since November and the final release still hasn't happened yet so this might not be a sign that it's imminent (though I think it is).

But Drawn to Death Apha has already trophies, The Tomorrow Children Beta hadn't.
Also TTC was rated by PEGI last week.
I think the release could be near.

DKHF

But Drawn to Death Apha has already trophies, The Tomorrow Children Beta hadn't.
Also TTC was rated by PEGI last week.
I think the release could be near.
I don't follow/care about these kind of games so you're probably right. I just know Drawn to Death's trophies have been up for a while and on PSNProfiles it's not labelled as the alpha just "Drawn to Death".

jediyoshi

WTF was that?!
  • Where am I?
  • What do I do?
  • Which one is MY city?
  • How do I build stuff?
  • What's the goal?

I think this is why all Call of Duty campaigns are point to point hallway shooters followed by cutscenes until the game is over.

Top Bottom