• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The two greatest toys from childhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biochet

black-stone-pebbles.jpg

i had a lot of fun with these

Ventara

Oh man, that water ring toss toy brings back some memories. I can barely remember it, but I loved playing with it. Also had one of those magic sketchbooks.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
You got me with that Turbo Tomy. Haven't seen that one since I was literally a kid even though I peep these nostalgia threads every once in a while.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
My parents pulled my GB firehouse from their attic a few months ago. It's sitting right next to me. 😀

This was my favorite toy when I was a kid.

hqdefault.jpg

It was able to eat action figures complete with chewing sounds! I actually still have it somewhere in storage!

Nephtis

This straight up brought a tear to my eye. My mom never made a lot of money (we lived in Mexico back then) and she always went the extra mile to get me cool toys. I remember this one so vividly; and now, as an adult, it brought a realization of how much she had to work and sacrifice to make sure I had something like that.

It's one of the reasons why I don't let my mom pay for anything ever now. I want to spoil her as much as she did me.

Zombine

Banned
fp7110-castle-front.JPG

This. I also loved matchbox cars.

Greatest kids toy set of all time. Had all of the sets + the glow in the dark knight. Also had the pirate ship and skull island + smaller ship.

Also, my life:

Some things don't change much.

This was my favorite toy when I was a kid.

hqdefault.jpg

It was able to eat action figures complete with chewing sounds! I actually still have it somewhere in storage!

I just realized that the poor bastard in the safety cage is doomed to die regardless. He wouldn't survive digestion, and honestly who's gonna be around to pull him out of the stomach in time? One of my favorites but I didn't think of this until now.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
sears1983candc.jpg

The amazing thing about this was that it could be played as a basic or intricate strategy game.
).

I was going to post this. It was seriously the best toy/game I ever had as a kid. Played it for hours with my friends. Saved up my allowance for the expansions as well. They all added new rules to the base game that made it even more compelling.

JordanN

Banned
I sooooooo wanted this as a kid.

TjPiKij.jpg

MNHCQ50.jpg

It came with a fucking camera.

kzwNdTe.jpg

Man, if I had this, I could have gotten into photography much more earlier.

fleck0

OP really kicked me right in the nostalgias with that Tomy Turbo.

I never had one but a friend did, Now I'd assume it was annoying how into it I was when he had grown bored of it months ago. Kids are jerks.

Lego and Battle Beasts were pretty much my two go-to toys as a kid. I remember building fortresses on my bookshelfs (books turned horizontally with one sticking out became floors, books pulled out became walls, etc.), using lego bricks to make computers / tables / etc. and just having big ass battles and plotlines.

... two Lego sets I completely forgot that I owned when I was little until I saw these pictures.

What a weird feeling seeing them again.

From all the stuff pictured in this thread, I only had a Gameboy Pocket and the toy car carpet. I mostly played with Lego though and had a lot of them, just not the sets mentioned earlier.

I was a spoiled only kid with too many toys. I loved Transformers, TMNT, GI Joe, Lego mediëval, Lego space and smaller figures like Monster in My Pocket, Battle Beasts, MASK and Exogini (MUSCLE).

Here are a few I was really fond of.

Due to the recent Madballs revival (by Kidrobot, Mondo and Just Play) I was reminded of this dude:
I had a soft spot for Battle Beasts:
Rock Lords, coolest Transformers rip off
Barnyard Commandos

Can't limit to just two! Street Sharks! Biker Mice from Mars! Ninja Turtle! Power Rangers! I had figurines from all those sets.

Legos. I had Knights and Pirate:

I really regret I gave my Legos away. Of everything from my childhood, I genuinely would love to assemble with them as an adult. Lego has to be one of the most cool and awesome toys ever.
I also had some viking Legos.
I don't recall there was any Star Wars Lego back then, but that would have been awesome. I know I would have loved that.

I had a T-Rex that was Jurassic Park Licensed. I believe it was the T-Rex that they modelled Rex after in Toy Story! Can't find a picture but I believe it had small wheels on its feet!

I had the transparent Gameboy. It carried me through Pokemon Blue and Donkey Kong and a shit ton of other games.

In my school we had JoJos - Small collectable plastic figures. The concept was to bet them. You'd play for them. It was something about that you had to smash them in the ground, and if you hit others JoJos you'd get them. It was essentially gambling.

I remember people would throw them after other kids. Fucking maniacs.

Everybody loved Slime;

A bit before Pokemon came out in the mid 90s Tamagotchi was really really big. I remember I was allowed to get one:

Yo-Yos got super popular. Particular those that light-up. Went well with light up sneakers. and self tying sneakers with translucent laces for the cool kids. People would carry their Yo-Yos and do cool tricks like "walk the dog". Yo-Yos were an earlier fad that had returned. I remember my mom was glad to see to see them return. She thought it was one of the less lame fads.

Nintendo 64 for my 12th or 13th birthday. That thing changed my life. I was the only kid with a Nintendo. Everyone had Playstation, but multiplayer game was the best on Nintendo 64, so we always played at my place. We knew that if we went to someone else it would be single player unless it was something like Tekken.
Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours with Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo-Tooie, Conker, Donkey Kong 64, Snowboard Kids. It was fantastic. So many great memories that made me so happy!

Lego and Battle Beasts were pretty much my two go-to toys as a kid. I remember building fortresses on my bookshelfs (books turned horizontally with one sticking out became floors, books pulled out became walls, etc.), using lego bricks to make computers / tables / etc. and just having big ass battles and plotlines.

I probably rebuilt that castle like 50 times. I eventually memorized the manual.

mclem

hqdefaultpiq8d.jpg

Big Loader. A single train puts on lots of different construction-vehicle shells and transfers balls around the system. Entirely automated, runs as a loop. Even now, the design impresses me; the way the loop is set up with how the t-junctions and shell-swappers work is brilliant.

_1fbqm2.jpg

Screwball Scramble: Often rebranded for current popular properties (see also Kongman, which I know has had a Sonic brand overhaul in the past). I really love these various 'marble assault course' games, and they're really not as common as they were for a period then. I'd love to see a resurgence.

Edit: Oh, some people are posting games, too, in which case I feel I ought to also throw in this:

post-1401-117677071955a0p.jpg

Dark Tower. I'd guess you'd call it a strategy RPG, with the big central tower playing the part of the GM. Quite attractive, too; the way it would work is that there's a large central drum inside the blacked-out window with a number of images on it - something like a fruit machine - and to inform the player of the outcome of their events it'd spin the drum to the relevant image then backlight it so it becomes visible.

I'd love to find a working copy again, but I suspect it's extremely expensive now. I assume my parents got shot of it when they moved, but it might just be the sort of thing they'd have hung on to.

Markoman

Hmm, can't rember the early days, but I assume that Mr. Noodle was my greatest toy back then, followed by Sergeant Poopoo. Don't have any pictures to share though.

bengraven

I had a T-Rex that was Jurassic Park Licensed. I believe it was the T-Rex that they modelled Rex after in Toy Story! Can't find a picture but I believe it had sm

Pretty sure the Rex in TS was based on DinoRiders Trex. It's the same shape and has wheels on its feet. Plus it was out a long time before JP and TS was in production forever until it came out in 95.

Metalmarc

Born in 1982

Aww man so many memories in this thread, i was spoilt so i had lots of action figures

Star Wars figures being my alltime fave and no big vehicles only a speederbike and a small imperial guard ship (i think), but i had loads of star wars figures a few doubles and triples (aunts rebuying ones i had cos they didnt know what i had)ended up losing some, giving some away, breaking them
He-Man being my second fave, had Grey skull only and both battlecat and the other panthra?
Thundercats always wanted the vehicle
Robocop/Karate Kid/Commando(Arnold)/Chuck Norris/Gremlins/Rambo - mine was a lame rubber one tho (yup my parents were fond of getting me action figures of more grown up movies when i was 7 or 8
Ghost Busters i had Ecto One and ray and Winston, slimer and marshmallowman,Banshee bomber feom the cartoon, my cousin had egon, peter,the fire station and some of the ghosts / monsters

My first console was an Atari 2600 i had that when i was about 6/7ish
Then i had a Commodore 64 when i was 9
Master system
Genesis

My sister had two toys i really wanted myself haha

NES in like late 93-94 (i had a megadrive in 1993 tho so it was a gameboy i was after not the NES)which she traded for a gameboy with a familly friend,
And a speak and spell

I don't remember the name, but an older neighborhood kid had like these robot dinosaurs that you could swap parts and control with a remote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom