• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Almost every single Xbox executive we profiled last year has left MS

EGM1966

Not sure how this is a surprise. The reveal, launch and initial vision of Xbox One was a failure from a business perspective. The market rejected it horribly, demand tanked globally post launch spike and their main competitor shot ahead. Senior execs don't remain around in circumstances like that. They either move to distance themselves from the failure before it affects their career or if they're too late they're moved on by the company as their work was deemed a failure.

Spencer has clearly been charged by Nadella to stabilize Xbox until they work out where they want to go with it, something that's not yet apparent. To date all of Spencer's moves have been reactionary and consist of further distancing the system from the launch vision (RIP Kinect, say hello to games focus, less talk about TV, backing away from producing own content, etc) mixed with very traditional use of deals to secure timed exclusives, marketing and PR pushing old favourites and deals/bundles and price manipulation to stimulate sales. Solid stuff but all reactionary and all clearly intended to stabilize the situation.

Hopefully we'll start to get an idea in 2015 as to what MS actually have as a vision for Xbox and Live and where it fits alongside their other efforts and divisions. I doubt MS simply intend to push out a games centric console and come second or third depending on the market. That seems a waste of time after their success with 360 and doesn't make the device or service compelling in isolation next to their other divisions. I'm sure they've been regrouping on vision behind the scenes and expect them to start talking proactive (ie. about the future) early 2015 vs just chugging along in reactionary mode trying to minimize damage from the launch.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I assume context is from another thread? Sorry I don't frequent GAF as much as you.
Before Xbox One's Always Online-punishment was announced, an MS-guy named Adam Orth said "Why would you live there" about places without a good internet connection in a rant about "backwards thinking" people who don't want to be treated like crap (i.e. are opposed to always online).

Well yeah. Xbox One's original vision completely falling flat totally forced a few people out the door.

Plus the general rumours of MS shareholders being a bit weary of the Xbox division in recent years probably scared a few people out.

Plus the normal post console launch departures we see at companies.

Plus Xbox cant go 3 years without a shift in direction. I am sure some of Mattricks Yes men bailed once Spenser tool charge.

Yeah I am not shocked we have seen such a large change in faces over there.

Larry Hryb is still there though so thats something. He aint going nowhere!

So in reading this piece; they profiled 5 people 3 left 1 got a promotion, and 1 is in the exact same position as when "profiled"

This seems like more of Nilay saying "look at me, I was right" more than anything.

Either way, nothing about this is surprising to anyone whom has ever worked in an even mid-sized company. A new leader of a team must get to choose his/her own lieutenants or risk the perception that their leadership is still in question or not quite permanent.

I think the larger question for MS is with the console world being low growth at the moment how do you create a large user base quickly enough that your partners profit form your platform to the extent it does not matter if you're #1 in sales WW. Moneyhats just won't do.

HoodWinked

hows this a bad thing, werent people unhappy with xbox one launch?

isnt it logical for those who were in charge during those times be the ones being shoved off?

yusuf mehdi needs to go.

Sydle

It really wasn't hard to predict a machine focused on TV when traditional TV-watching is on a steep decline wouldn't have succeeded.

Except you can look back over the years and see Mattrick was touting results like 40% of Xbox usage was for non-game media. I think those stats were further skewed by the influx of casuals from Kinect (who probably didn't stick around). It's not hard to believe he thought he had found the keys to more Xbox consumers, from core gamers to casuals.

And who knows, maybe the TV features would have been embraced, or at least more tolerated, had the Xbox One been on par with PS4 for power and cost.

topplehat

Except you can look back over the years and see Mattrick was touting results like 40% of Xbox usage was for non-game media. I think those stats were further skewed by the influx of casuals from Kinect (who probably didn't stick around). It's not hard to believe he thought he had found the keys to more Xbox consumers, from core gamers to casuals.

And who knows, maybe the TV features would have been embraced, or at least more tolerated, had the Xbox One been on par with PS4 for power and cost.

But I feel like that 40% of usage was Netflix/Hulu, which is also an alternative to "traditional TV".

Sydle

But I feel like that 40% of usage was Netflix/Hulu, which is also an alternative to "traditional TV".

Yeah, since the 360 didn't have HDMI in, it was all app usage he was referring to which are on-demand. I think it was mostly made up of Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube. I think the non-game usage was even higher on PS3.

In any case, it's still a strong case for enhancing non-game utility and it's not hard to see how they arrived at HDMI in and wanting to be always on.

As much as Spencer is doing a lot of really interesting moves right now. I do hope they keep some of the TV/media people around. The concept is still good, and if they can get the USB TV-Tuner to work everywhere and add in stuff like HDMI-CEC they could have a really cool all-in-one box.

gtj1092

The focus on games is what caused the XB1 to outsell the Ps4 in November? If that's the case shouldn't have been outselling it since launch? Just yesterday I heard the XB1 is closing the gap in graphics too.

What's the point of this article anyway. Couldn't you do this for every major company in this day and age?

pooptest

As much as Spencer is doing a lot of really interesting moves right now. I do hope they keep some of the TV/media people around. The concept is still good, and if they can get the USB TV-Tuner to work everywhere and add in stuff like HDMI-CEC they could have a really cool all-in-one box.

Xbox One doesn't support HDMI-CEC at a hardware level and I can't find any info about the USB TV Tuner on their site supporting it, either.

Although, it's odd that the PS4 supports it out of the box, but Xbox One doesn't while trying to be the "ultimate media device."

MS has had the "living room masterdevice" dream since even before the original Xbox... it's a pipe dream of many companies.
I don't know why they couldn't just be content with the way the 360 worked. I used it for everything - Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, HBO Go etc. Other than that I used my PS3 for Bluray (which XBO1 has) and I used my DVR for TV (which I would still do, since it can record shows unlike the XBO1).

They were searching for a solution for a problem no one had with all the TV TV TV stuff. Not only did it hurt the image of the Xbox brand but it arguably hurt the performance of the machine itself.

Xbox One doesn't support HDMI-CEC at a hardware level and I can't find any info about the USB TV Tuner on their site supporting it, either.

Although, it's odd that the PS4 supports it out of the box, but Xbox One doesn't while trying to be the "ultimate media device."

From my limited understanding, isn't HDMI CEC a part of the HDMI standard spec the the Xbox uses, and it just isn't enabled via software on the console?

For me personally, Microsoft is close to achieving what I want out of a modern machine that integrates into a family and not a hardcore single gamer. Having tv, Netflix, HBO and games in a single box is great. It's much easier to go between all of the things without reaching for two different remotes or more.

They are so close to doing something super cool, and I hope not everyone with that vision has been kicked out.

pooptest

From my limited understanding, isn't HDMI CEC a part of the HDMI standard spec the the Xbox uses, and it just isn't enabled via software on the console?

For me personally, Microsoft is close to achieving what I want out of a modern machine that integrates into a family and not a hardcore single gamer. Having tv, Netflix, HBO and games in a single box is great. It's much easier to go between all of the things without reaching for two different remotes or more.

They are so close to doing something super cool, and I hope not everyone with that vision has been kicked out.

From my understanding HDMI-CEC is part of the HDMI 1.0 spec, but the hardware has to be implemented for it. This Anandtech article explains that very few HTPC Video cards, while having an HDMI port, support HDMI-CEC. I'm not really sure, to be honest. It doesn't seem like a simple firmware/software update will add it. We will see, I guess.

Neff

Good that the incompetence at the top has started to be cleaned out, but guys like Mattrick have already done their damage and they have left the Xbox brand a mere shell of what it once was.

It's much more likely that these individuals left of their own accord to save face, or were granted incentives in the form of generous severance packages.

VIPs being 'punished' for not getting XB1 'right' doesn't sound like something a company as big and professional as MS would do, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were still worthy of respect within Microsoft.

Rezae

Not an Xbox fan these days, but good for MS. Where a lot of companies would have doubled down and try to continue with the original vision, they've been very nimble in making the changes that needed to be made, and Spencer has been brilliant.

As a lifelong Sony fan, I sure as hell don't want them all alone dominating the console space. Even if it is a WW distant 2nd place, any heat MS can apply to Sony will only be a good thing for consumers. Without these aggressive changes MS made, it would be a pretty boring generation.

KingJ2002

So all the people who wanted the Xbox to go from "video game console that can entertain the home" to "home entertainment system that can play games" has left on their own accord.

...And when they left... the refocus on games helped the Xbox One outsell the PS4.

I don't see the problem here.

No knock to those guys... but you got to get people who believe in the direction you want to go. They're better off helping a company like SONOS rather than Microsoft with the Xbox platform. Worst care scenario... the Xbox would have turned into a glorified Amazon Fire TV without the focus on games.

PFD

1278286-xbox_e3_kickoff_celebration_hxll8wvs6jel.jpg

IT'S TIME

It's time to buy new clothes

onQ123

Not sure where to post this or if I should post it but there is a leaked Xbox One November SDK file on the internet.

Dat narrative....

Xbox gets one great month of ultra-discounted sales and suddenly we're talking about how the "dark days" of TvTvSports are finally over and all those mean, evil people who worked on the evil original Xbox One idea are bye-bye, and Spencer is a games guy, and I Believe In Phil Spencer and all that.

But whatever. People will root for their favorite team regardless.

Monocle

The original vision for the Xbox One was an anti-consumer disaster that shattered the goodwill I had for Microsoft after a generation of enjoying the 360 as my primary console. It's been nice to watch that plan crumble.

It appears that Microsoft is finally reorienting its platform to focus on games and value. I'm confident enough in the new direction that I picked up an XB1 this month when I saw a good deal. A year ago I would have passed it without a second thought.

SPDIF

Dat narrative....

Xbox gets one great month of ultra-discounted sales and suddenly we're talking about how the "dark days" of TvTvSports are finally over and all those mean, evil people who worked on the evil original Xbox One idea are bye-bye, and Spencer is a games guy, and I Believe In Phil Spencer and all that.

But whatever. People will root for their favorite team regardless.

I don't really see what you're seeing. Certainly not in the article. If anything it's an article criticising MS for so quickly abandoning their original vision, so I'm not really sure where you're coming from.

I don't really see what you're seeing. Certainly not in the article. If anything it's an article criticising MS for so quickly abandoning their original vision, so I'm not really sure where you're coming from.
The tone of the article struck me as "Told you TV was a bad idea", starting with the subtitle and progressing from there. I didn't catch much of a regretful "oh man if only people understood Microsoft's original vision" sentiment from the author.

If anything it comes across as "glad that Microsoft abandoned all that old crap. Look how sweet they are now! All those old problems are gone. They're so much better" with a hefty appetizer of "see? I predicted the TV focus would fail just like almost everyone else on Earth and I am so smart"

I like Major, he does his podcasts, twitches games he plays, google hangout, and vocal on twitter. Too bad he doesn't post here.

If Major Nelson posted here your days of posting Xbox Deals would be over... He would beat you to every single deal.... You really want that???

Top Bottom