• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Verge] Core Xbox Game Studios are set for cutbacks next.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
shocked philip j fry GIF

Vyse

Gold Member
This is seriously happening with many corporate entities across Healthcare, Tech and Finance. I’m in Helathcare and layoffs have been going on all year.

Based on what I have heard, I don't necessarily believe that Xbox HW has a guaranteed future. Teams are working and making designs and plans, sure, but it sounds like that is very much in the air.

Launching hardware costs a fuck ton of money, and it sounds like they are trying to cut costs to the bone.
Only thing I wanted was a pivot to open hardware. So I'm sure that's doomed now lol.

Last edited:

XXL

Based on what I have heard, I don't necessarily believe that Xbox HW has a guaranteed future. Teams are working and making designs and plans, sure, but it sounds like that is very much in the air.

Launching hardware costs a fuck ton of money, and it sounds like they are trying to cut costs to the bone.
100%.

I said this when they announced plans for new hardware at the business event.

Plans are just plans, there are always plans floating around corporations and most of them don't even come to fruition.

Ideas are cheap, reality is expensive.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Just kill of the 303 or how are they called, this is the type of studios, which needed to be put down long time ago.

Bkdk

Seems like MS will cut back till only 2 or 3 AAA teams left and focus on them with much stricter oversight. MS did try to give many teams freedom and funding to develop and most have failed to deliver a quality product. Shows you how capable and strong leadership is actually important. MS gaming lacks leadership like this.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
MS should've closed The Initiative or Undead Labs instead of Tango. These studios haven't produced shit in god knows how many years.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
There is a new one in dev in UE.

One of these days i'm gonna speak more in-depth on just how the issues MS has in their corporate culture and with certain policies will always ensure some of their most important teams suffer from the same problems no matter what they do.
Please make a new thread for it then. A lot of us would love to hear about it. I hope that I will not miss it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
MS should've closed The Initiative or Undead Labs instead of Tango. These studios haven't produced shit in god knows how many years.
"You know, one of the things I really love about the gaming industry is it's a creative art form, and it means that the situation and what successes for each game in the studio is also really unique. There's no one-size-fits-all to it for us. And so we look at each studio and each game team, and we look at a whole variety of factors when we're faced with making decisions and trade tradeoffs like that. But it all comes back to our long-term commitment to the games we create, the devices we build, the services, and ensuring that we're setting ourselves up to be able to deliver on those promises."

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
  • Spend $80 billion buying out some of the biggest video game publishers.
  • Go through months of public investigations to prove you're not monopolizing the industry.
  • As soon as the acquisitions are approved, cut through the studios with a hacksaw and let go large parts of the talent you acquired.
  • Do the same for your internal teams.
  • Retain ownership of the IP but now no one in their right mind wants to work with you anymore.
  • ?????
  • Profit!
I sincerely hope Sony, Nintendo and other publishers hire the lion's share of talent to leave Microsoft so that they are unavailable to work on MS' IP, and instead become an asset to its competitors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom