• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: PlayStation 3 breaks Xbox 360's 32-month winning streak in the US

Lettuce

Well done Sony you must be very proud of yourselfs....shame it comes 2 months before the end of the generation.....

golf-clap.gif
sWiS2.gif

fvng

So Playstation has pulled off what the WWF did to the WCW during the Monday Night Wars?

I guess Xbone initial drm plans embodied the fingerpoke of doom, and the 180 is WCW under Russo.

This is the most esoteric analogy you could have pulled. No idea what this even means

PS3 (+ 1 year of PS2 sales) - 81.5 million as of June 31st, 2013
Estimates (PS3 only): 78 million as of March 31st, 2013.

360 - 78.2 million as of June 31st, 2013
360 - 80 million as of October 17th, 2013

It's most likely surpassed the 360, but we don't know for sure.

Where did you get the 78.2M from?

In that case then the DC is still going

Any retail release for the DC recently?

Bgamer90

Banned
I know a decent number of people who are getting a PS3 (after playing on an Xbox 360 for the majority of the gen) due to the recent exclusives on the PS3 (as well as it's cheaper price in comparison to the next gen consoles).

So yeah, when this was announced it didn't surprise me. This has been a really solid year for the PS3. MUCH better than 2012.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
fvng said:
This is the most esoteric analogy you could have pulled. No idea what this even means

Pro wrasslin' baby, wikipedia article here gives a quick overview why its actually not that bad an analogy.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Is sony and the PS3 the greatest comeback in console history? Like is there any other system that has actually had one of the shittiest launches ever and the worst first 2 1/2 years ever in terms of library to get enough sales to basically go head to head with 360 sales which started off great all around except RRODs(which is probably where a lot of sales come from tbh)?

So...who thinks ps3 will catch wii before production ends? I think thy have a shot as 2014 looks to still be a very good time to be a ps3 owner value wise...another 20 million worldwide in 2 years? Hmmmm...

Is 2015 there 10 year cycle end?

Into

So...who thinks ps3 will catch wii before production ends? I think thy have a shot as 2014 looks to still be a very good time to be a ps3 owner value wise...another 20 million worldwide in 2 years? Hmmmm...

Well PS2 did 50 million more after 360 launched and the new gen started. Now we can easily say the PS3 wont do 50 million more, that is unrealistic, its simply not as popular as the PS2 was.

But they can still slash more of the price, there still will be years of software, EA will keep making their sports games forever. I doubt Activision will stop with CoD on 360 and PS3 any time soon.

If i was betting on it, id say yeah they will catch the Wii, so will 360 in 3-4 years.

Off-topic: Why is everything about winning or losing/failing? It's like nothing can enter the discourse of US Americans without being pulverized in needless competition. I find that culture vaguely repulsive. As if every interaction were a conflict at whose end the dreaded "you fail" is looming for one party.
You win the thread.

Wait, I'm doing it wrong.

kartu

Banned
Did Microsoft actually have any big releases this year?

I wonder what third party developers think about Microsoft's strategy, which seems to be "new console is out, forget about old one" vs Sony's "old console is still alive".

What are the US only figures?

Bgamer90

Banned
Off-topic: Why is everything about winning or losing/failing? It's like nothing can enter the discourse of US Americans without being pulverized in needless competition. I find that culture vaguely repulsive. As if every interaction were a conflict at whose end the dreaded "you fail" is looming for one party.

This should be nominated for post of the year.

DBT85

I certainly think it's possible. And so long as they can still reduce the price they'll carry on beyond 2015. I just wonder how much of a restriction Cell and RSX are going to be on that front moving forward.

Fairly happy to bet they'll get 100m though.

wiggleb0t

Banned

Factor in RRod and people choosing to purchase a 2nd or 3rd console in my case and yeah guessing there's a lot more ps3 in the wild alive. YLoD was a tiny issue compared to disaster that was rrod, that said electronics always have the chance of failure and being played in crazy settings 35*celsius houses with no AC = yikes! Intense scenario though not too far fetched.

hoos30

It's hard to explain this without sounding salty but here goes.

In order to break the 360's 32 month winning streak (December 2010), Sony had to basically give away the fastest selling game of the generation.

That's way more impressive on the 360's part and the reason Major Nelson didn't have to spin it at all and was so quick to congratulate Sony for having "a good month".

It's a pyrrhic victory by definition.

If they can do it in Oct thru Dec, that will be impressive.

/salt lol

In order to break the 360's 32 month winning streak (December 2010), Sony had to basically give away the fastest selling game of the generation.

That's way more impressive on the 360's part and the reason Major Nelson didn't have to spin it at all and was so quick to congratulate Sony for having "a good month".

/salt lol

Remember, the 360 had a promotion to combat GTA V bundle sales as well.

See the following: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/25/save-50-on-new-xbox-360-get-50-gift-card/

Well done Sony you must be very proud of yourselfs....shame it comes 2 months before the end of the generation.....

golf-clap.gif
sWiS2.gif

End of the generation? 90% of the games coming out on the new consoles are also coming out current-gen. Until we see a major shift in development only for new consoles, this generation is still going strong

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

/salt lol
I think you made it sound salty by saying you were salty. I think just pointing out that the PS3 has had a tremendous year and it still took a GTAV bundle to surpass the 360 for the first time in 32 months puts the level of 360's success in perspective.

MLCodest

Will be interesting to see how MS respond if they do at all seeing the next generation consoles are out in under/about a month. Congratulations to Sony though, they've worked hard over the last couple of years with the PS3 and it's good to see it finally pay off.

I certainly think it's possible. And so long as they can still reduce the price they'll carry on beyond 2015. I just wonder how much of a restriction Cell and RSX are going to be on that front moving forward.

Fairly happy to bet they'll get 100m though.

20 million in 2yrs with the PS4 on the market is going to be tough unless they go to $99-$129.

Respawn

Banned
I don't think it was assured at all.

I think they had to tie up a huge title like GTA 5 and make it cracking value bundle like they did.

The had to work for it and have done so.

it's good because MS have to respond now.

The question is: What will they respond with?

Think there was 2 games release for the DC in the last 12-18 months

At retail? i'm not seeing any DC games at my local ebgames.

Yeah, PS3 is going to end up being the top selling console of the generation.

PS2 sold 50M after the PS3 was released. The PS sold 30-35M after the PS2 was released.

The question is: What will they respond with?

Not sure they need a big bundle. They just need to push a $99 dollar system or a ridiculously cheap bundle with a couple of older games. Both of which they did last Christmas.

Walmart had the white slim with Skylanders and an extra controller for $130 last year. Didn't think twice about getting it for the kids. I see that Nintendo is bundling Skylanders this yr so I assume it worked for MS.

At retail? i'm not seeing any DC games at my local ebgames.

Yeah, PS3 is going to end up being the top selling console of the generation.

PS2 sold 50M after the PS3 was released. The PS sold 30-35M after the PS2 was released.

The PS3 could but the parameters are a lot different so you never know. On the low end both the PS 1&2 had more unique software than either of their competitors. As it stands now. If it ain't first party or a Japanese title, games are on multiple platforms. Then there is price, the PS3 was more than 3x as expensive as the PS2 that's not the case this gen. If the PS4 gets Gaikai straight there will be no need for a physical PS3 for much longer.

Top Bottom