• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: PlayStation 3 breaks Xbox 360's 32-month winning streak in the US

Cipherr

The question is: What will they respond with?

A new generation? I don't expect MS to respond to this directly at all. Any bundles they do would have been done despite this 'streak' being broken. Its the new generation now; That war is over, time for the next one.

When was the last time Wii was dominating the charts? I know its got the most WW numbers but

But nothing. It is what it is. And when was the last time a Playstation anything dominated Japan? Its been handhelds, and not the Playstation ones for the most part dominating Japan for the last 6 years or so; Although PSP didn't do to bad.

Im not sure anything can claim to have dominated anything else for last gen. The closest would be DS, but even the PSP had its moments with MH where it led the pack for a while. A really great gen where everyone saw success in the end.

Noone was curbstomped.

When was the last time Wii was dominating the charts? I know its got the most WW numbers but i've never seen a leading console rise and fall as fast as the Wii did.

I agree but to be fair most console generations don't last this long. Plus as others have said, Japan was dominated by handhelds and I didn't realize PS3 numbers in Europe translates to domination (Wii - 33 million, PS3 - 32 million, XBox 360 - 24 million).

Because they specifically said home console right?

The thread title mentions PS3/XB360... i see no mention of the 3DS, this thread was made to highlight the fact that the PS3 has broken 360's streak at the top. No need to drop in and diss with 3DS this... 3DS that... maybe if it was the Wii U... (being a home console and all)

The thread title mentions PS3/XB360... i see no mention of the 3DS, this thread was made to highlight the fact that the PS3 has broken 360's streak at the top. No need to drop in and diss with 3DS this... 3DS that... maybe if it was the Wii U... (being a home console and all)

Please read past the topic title before calling someone out next time. Thank you.

border

did the 360 replace the PS3 as #1 or was it the Wii? Cant remember.

I gotta think that the Wii was #1 until 360 took over.

I'm not even sure if there was ever a time when PS3 was the sales leader. Probably not at launch, since they launched against the Wii. Maybe when MGS4 came out?

I gotta think that the Wii was #1 until 360 took over.

I'm not even sure if there was ever a time when PS3 was the sales leader. Probably not at launch, since they launched against the Wii. Maybe when MGS4 came out?

It was around the launch of PS3 Slim, it was regularly the sales leader until 360 Slim and Kinect came out.

Trey

exactly.

we were seeing 1 million differences during boom time for the ps2.

reckon ps4 will do that?

I guess it could if they dominate once again as looks most likely?

so do you all reckon that's it now going forward, they've overcome it and will outsell 360 every month for good?

Really the days of one party dominating is over. PS2 was the last dynasty system.

Not sure they need a big bundle. They just need to push a $99 dollar system or a ridiculously cheap bundle with a couple of older games. Both of which they did last Christmas.

Walmart had the white slim with Skylanders and an extra controller for $130 last year. Didn't think twice about getting it for the kids. I see that Nintendo is bundling Skylanders this yr so I assume it worked for MS.

Wait...the WiiU has a skylanders bundle for the Xmas shopping season? Isn't skylanders currently the hottest toy craze in the under 12 category among both boys AND girls?

The WiiU should dominate the rankings for both november and december...

Lettuce

End of the generation? 90% of the games coming out on the new consoles are also coming out current-gen. Until we see a major shift in development only for new consoles, this generation is still going strong

Really?, so in that case the PS2 generation is still going seeings a Fifa 14 was just released!?

At retail? i'm not seeing any DC games at my local ebgames.

You wont, there fan made games

Wait...the WiiU has a skylanders bundle for the Xmas shopping season? Isn't skylanders currently the hottest toy craze in the under 12 category among both boys AND girls?

The WiiU should dominate the rankings for both november and december...

Yes it does. Dominate, I don't know, have a fighting chance at pushing a million units in a month, definitely!
The bundle still costs $299, and with Swapforce being on sale for $50, an Xbox 360+Swapforce will still come in $100 cheaper during sale season. Mario needs to be THE game of the season for them to dominate.

MCD

I always wondered why MS won't bundle new games with their systems. Is their any particular reason or simply moneyhats?

longdi

Banned
I hope sony carries the momentum with PS4..time is ripe for a Sony revival. I think they have been doing good, steady and yet humble so im morally supporting them this upcoming gen.

#teamsony

Iacobellis

sony-playstation-2-the-third-place-small-19862.jpg

What is this?

I always wondered why MS won't bundle new games with their systems. Is their any particular reason or simply moneyhats?

They have. Call of Duty comes to mind as well as Halo. It makes more sense to bundle older titles, that way the consumer isn't paying as much. Why give away new games if they can sell them? Those Halo and Call of Duty bundles come at a premium (same with when Nintendo and Sony offer new games), so they get their money either way.

Top Bottom