• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: PlayStation 3 breaks Xbox 360's 32-month winning streak in the US

If the PS4 gets Gaikai straight there will be no need for a physical PS3 for much longer.

The sales of a late-cycle console will be focused in developing countries, where for most parts, there's a lower penetration of high-speed broadband that allows Gaikai to work. Also, these countries would also be the most far removed from Gaikai servers, meaning lackluster service even if they have good internet speeds.

A physical console still matter.

The question is: What will they respond with?

time will tell. if this doesn't tell them they need to focus on their own studios and good games I don't know what will (I don't just mean GTA 5 obviously though it's the main reason for these figures, I mean sony getting lots of solid IP out there and winning people over slowly but surely).

Slayven

So Playstation has pulled off what the WWF did to the WCW during the Monday Night Wars?

I guess Xbone initial drm plans embodied the fingerpoke of doom, and the 180 is WCW under Russo.

Best analogy i have seen on GAF. Major Nelson = David arquette? Don Mattrick= Vince Russo?

MaulerX

Pro wrasslin' baby, wikipedia article here gives a quick overview why its actually not that bad an analogy.

It's a bad analogy because the root of WCW going to shit was because they went bankrupt and they ended up being bought by WWF. Microsoft is not bankrupt and they sure as hell won't be bought by Sony.

Beelzebubs

It's a bad analogy because the root of WCW going to shit was because they went bankrupt and they ended up being bought by WWF. Microsoft is not bankrupt and they sure as hell won't be bought by Sony.

They went bankrupt because their product was growing increasingly bad.

Major Nelson needs the practice in congratulating Sony. Consider this month a trial run.

A8RLwOD.gif

Skeff

there seems to be some rather pointless salt in this thread, it made my day so far.

Anyway, good to see a good hardware bundle rewarded, curious if this will carry on in October as GTA has a big tail and PS4 is winning some Sony-based mindshare also how this will be in December with the inevitable GT5/TLoU bundle for Christmas vs. 360+Kinect bundles.

Why would you buy a PS3 at this time?

The best back catalogue of exclusive games available?

Doffen

Factor in RRod and people choosing to purchase a 2nd or 3rd console in my case and yeah guessing there's a lot more ps3 in the wild alive. YLoD was a tiny issue compared to disaster that was rrod, that said electronics always have the chance of failure and being played in crazy settings 35*celsius houses with no AC = yikes! Intense scenario though not too far fetched.

Most of the RRod was replaced by Microsoft and do not count towards the 80m mark. I know a lot of people who have bought several PS3's, this goes for every console, not just X360.

And the Xbox 360 sales did't really spike before 2010, after the RRod storm.

Yawnier

Banned
Sure, if we ignoring the 3DS that has been the top selling video games console the past two months.

I would be concerned if the 3DS wasn't selling as good as it is seeing as it's already got a pretty good and stable library of games now and it is only heading into it's third holiday season this year compared to the older consoles like the 360 and PS3 which are going into their ninth and eighth holiday seasons respectively.

Boss Man

I wonder if lack of hardware BC is helping or hurting the PS3 and its software. I know at some point I decided that I'm keeping my PS3, and I always sell my old consoles. Between all of the discs, DLs, and free PS Plus stuff (not like PS Plus will lapse when I'm on PS4 either...) it just makes sense to hang onto it. PS Plus was really the tipping point for me, it's like a permanent box full of little free games right now.

The sales of a late-cycle console will be focused in developing countries, where for most parts, there's a lower penetration of high-speed broadband that allows Gaikai to work. Also, these countries would also be the most far removed from Gaikai servers, meaning lackluster service even if they have good internet speeds.

A physical console still matter.

I wouldn't discount the typical countries like America though. A PS3 under $200 would attract people a lot more than a $400 PS4 that can play PS3 games.

So basically everyone already owns an xbox so theyre getting a 3 to supplement it? So wat. Both great systems

Lol at the guy asking why buy a ps3 now. Ps3 is a better purchase today than at any point ever in the past sooooo...

I wonder when/if Xbox One will ever sell more than PS4 in the US. I don't think it's going to happen this year at all.

MAYBE when Titanfall comes out, or they drop the price/kinect so it's $399 or lower.

But honestly I don't even see Titanfall doing that or a price drop, simply because there's a lot of decent stuff coming out around the same time like Watch Dogs, InFamous, and Destiny.

BigDug13

Most of the RRod was replaced by Microsoft and do not count towards the 80m mark. I know a lot of people who have bought several PS3's, this goes for every console, not just X360.

And the Xbox 360 sales did't really spike before 2010, after the RRod storm.

Not every repurchase was because of failure. The launch system was still loud as shit, didn't have HDMI and didn't have Wifi. As those features started to make their way to the 360, it caused people to rebuy. I was one of them.

In contrast, the PS3 launched with wifi and HDMI and never really needed to add any significant features as they revamped the hardware so there was less of a reason for a PS3 owner to rebuy the console for added features.

For me, I'm on my 3rd Xbox and my launch PS3 for the reasons I've stated. Not due to failures. I never got RROD.

Skeff

I wonder when/if Xbox One will ever sell more than PS4 in the US. I don't think it's going to happen this year at all.

MAYBE when Titanfall comes out, or they drop the price/kinect so it's $399 or lower.

But honestly I don't even see Titanfall doing that or a price drop, simply because there's a lot of decent stuff coming out around the same time like Watch Dogs, InFamous, and Destiny.

I personally don't think Titanfall will make a difference as there will be other big games too, I think the dropping of Kinect would put it above the PS4, but probably only for a month, as people would have been waiting for the kinect to be dropped, it would be like a second launch IMO. but the PS4 would likely outsell it for the other 11 months.

I personally don't think Titanfall will make a difference as there will be other big games too, I think the dropping of Kinect would put it above the PS4, but probably only for a month, as people would have been waiting for the kinect to be dropped, it would be like a second launch IMO. but the PS4 would likely outsell it for the other 11 months.

Yeah, maybe when the next Halo comes out...but even that really depends on what is releasing for Sony at the time as well.

If Halo comes out in September and gets that month to itself, I could see the Xbox One temporarily doing better.

But if it's in November I think you can forget about it. Too many high profile games coming out during that month.

BigDug13

Why would you buy a PS3 at this time?

There are a ton of gamers that simply do not have a lot of money. Staying a gen behind allows a budget gamer to still have a fantastic catalog of cheap games on a cheap system and still provides a great gaming experience.

Basically it allows greater inclusiveness into our hobby by continuing to support older hardware. And that's only a good thing.

BigDug13

PS4 will hold a similar record very soon.

Well that's the obvious statement of the year. Because the PS4 has simply allotted more systems at launch. Even if the price and negative PR were not an issue, all signs point to Sony simply having more hardware available at launch.

Off-topic: Why is everything about winning or losing/failing? It's like nothing can enter the discourse of US Americans without being pulverized in needless competition. I find that culture vaguely repulsive. As if every interaction were a conflict at whose end the dreaded "you fail" is looming for one party.
I don't know if it is an american "thing" or if the american culture has become so ingrained all over the world, but this type of behaviour is common around the internet.

How the Verge dares to make a headline out of this with at least having the profesionalism to dig up the numbers?

Top Bottom