• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The White Man's (New) Burden

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Shut up and take what?

I think that's the part that makes this such a hot topic. Especially in the way it's presented in the article. You get a wake up call that, Hey this is happening to you whether you like it or not. Whether you care or not, and it puts some people in a defensive position. It's perfectly reasonable to question whatever assumption you had about your daily actions and go... Well shit did I fuck up somewhere? Am I still screwing up? To tell someone they're the object of social scrutiny is to invite one to scrutinize their own actions, whether they did anything wrong or not.

I can imagine someone who literally never pushed any kind of social injustice in their life to stop and go... Well that seems unfair. And I believe it is, but unfortunately that's the reality everyone faces and has to answer to. Or you could just shrug and go about your life. No one is obliged to really do anything in this article after all is said and done. Still, being judged is never fun so I can at least understand that point.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If someone attacked me over randomly, I might call them a savage. If they happened to be black, and I happened to be white, I would hope that people wouldn't automatically assume I was racist.

But you realize that's not all he called her right?

What anyone should ideally do in those situations is just explain the miscommunication but then listen to how they feel rather than feeling you need to continue to defend yourself. This is where they get stuck. People get in trouble for appearing overly defensive, self-concerned, and unempathetic, not because they're white.

I agree. That is a trap many fall into and they just dig themselves a deeper whole and look guiltier/crazier. Still, it's hard to know what to do when this sort of thing spreads. It's easy to defend/explain yourself one on one. But when it becomes a rising tide of opinion against you, it's easy to try and match that volume/emotion. Sometimes a quick apology and then backing off is the only option.

Edit:

Yeah I know, I was just putting out a hypothetical around the word 'savage'. I know that in this particular case, there's a lot more to it.

would you call them an ape

Maybe if the other person was really big, although I might use the word lummox instead, because I really like that word.

White Man's Burden was (is) an excuse to conquer and rule over other parts of the world because the people who inhabit those areas are too "uncivilized" to rule themselves. It was nothing short of a horrific and racist attempt to justify some of the worst parts of European history.

Complaining that white men have to prove that they are not racist is not really anything close to what was called "White Man's Burden" and, in my humble opinion, belittles the original by using the term to describe something many might agree is a real burden (although I'm not completely sure myself that that is true).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Shut up and take it when they are labelled a racist just for being white.

Assuming until proven otherwise and "labeling" are not one and the same. Please note that the guy is not calling all white people racist and bigoted.

If someone attacked me over randomly, I might call them a savage. If they happened to be black, and I happened to be white, I would hope that people wouldn't automatically assume I was racist.

I think you're totally missing the point and kind of twisting just what happened that lead to the dude getting attacked.

Also, your hope will almost certainly go unanswered, but it doesn't really matter because there's just about zero chance that you will actually and truly be randomly attacked by a complete stranger.

Alienous

He called her an animal, right?

But I think that even the least sensible person realizes, solely on the basis of his friendships, he doesn't think of all black people as "animals". If he isn't referring to all black people I think calling a person or group "animals" and "savages" because they needlessly resorted to violence is fair.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

But I think that even the least sensible person realizes, solely on the basis of his friendships, he doesn't think of all black people as "animals". If he isn't referring to all black people I think calling a person or group "animals" and "savages" because they needlessly resorted to violence is fair.

Did you read his tweets? You're going above and beyond to give the guy the benefit of the doubt despite the evidence we have. Why?

I've always accepted the reality of what the article's talking about since we have a political party that so much of the country is a member of despite the perception of that party as being unquestionably racist. I see no problems in why people would then assume any white person is probably a little racist until proven otherwise.

Also, having to actually see a white person in a friend group eventually say the n-word out loud while a black friend is around because the white person thought they got that comfortable is super fucking awkward and eye-opening.

I don't think the blogger is saying anything that 'new' or controversial. It reminds me of that Seinfeld Episode where there where Jerry and George are allegedly gay, and everytime they insisted on their heterosexuality, it was followed up with "...not that there's anything wrong with that!". It was sort of the running joke of the episdoe that we need to clarify/establish our position on the matter everytime its mentioned.
It kind of reflects our own experience in a way.

In turn, I'm also reminded of the long-running gag of the overly-sensitive black person ala Tropic Thunder: "what do you mean, 'you people'?" or that MAD TV skit. Scenarios where totally innocent things are interpreted as racist. I'm not sure how accurately that reflects reality today.

I think there is some burden of proof there. Not that we lay it out all on the table the instant we meet someone, but that we just use a bit of care and discretion to ensure we are not misinterpreted. As society matures and grows, this becomes less necessary. I hope our younger generation doesn't have this 'burden of proof'

Enzom21

Are you so condescending to people all the time? Or is it just me you like to point out and bother when it comes to race-based threads?

I never "claimed" that it's worse now.

This is what I said:

The "That" I'm implying is the future to be one similar to 1984 where there's a camera watching your every move. A dystopian future.

What I had highlighted to comment on:

Where in that context did I say that present racial tension was worse then the past? Why are you harassing me moreso that any other poster?

If that's the case why didn't you write that here:
Ah, so punishing people for things they haven't done is ok. I see.

I don't think it's ok. It's messed up.

It has happened to white people... poor white people.

How about the nasty comments a lot of people on this board and the liberal Northeast make about Republicans, Southerners, Christians, and referring to people from the South as hicks and rednecks? Aren't those just as prejudicial as racial comments against Black and Hispanics people?

You most certainly claimed that it would be worse than what we have here. No one was talking about 1984 or dystopian future where everything is recorded.
In your responses to me, you specifically mentioned race. Don't try to change up now that I called you on another one of your ridiculous posts in a thread about race.
By the way, pointing out when you post ridiculous nonsense is not harassing you. Stop trying to be a victim.

studyguy

I can remember being jumped as a kid and my mind racing to a number of places in terms of insults. In the heat of the moment, you grasp for whatever is most hurtful or at least dig into the person the most aside from a fist of course. It doesn't give the person a pass, but then again the threat of violence shouldn't be treated as an every day occurrence.

I believe I recall Jonah Hill calling a paparazzo a faggot a while back and quickly apologized for it simply due to how hurtful the comment was and the fact that it was flung in a moment of passion. A reasonable person at least acknowledges that they went too far... this guy doubled down, no?

Alienous

BOOM! That's exactly the types of reparations that I was thinking about. It has happened before and shouldn't be laughed at. Unless you view the people that think they deserve it to be.......not deserving.

To me it sounds like America purchasing its land. But that doesn't excuse the history, and to me its kind of insulting. "Here's some cash, better now?". I also am doubtful of how helpful it'll be in the long term.

Assuming until proven otherwise and "labeling" are not one and the same. Please note that the guy is not calling all white people racist and bigoted.

Well, I think the laebla nd assumptions kind of go hand in hand with the white man's burden as the blogger described it. And yeah, I picked up on the idea that he didn't think all white men were a certain way, although his story about Norton kind of contradicts that. Maybe that was just in the past and he's learned now to judge all white men with shaved heads?

I think you're totally missing the point and kind of twisting just what happened that lead to the dude getting attacked.

Also, your hope will almost certainly go unanswered, but it doesn't really matter because there's just about zero chance that you will actually and truly be randomly attacked by a complete stranger.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to twist what happened, I was presenting a hypothetical. I guess that was off-topic.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think there is some burden of proof there. Not that we lay it out all on the table the instant we meet someone, but that we just use a bit of care and discretion to ensure we are not misinterpreted. As society matures and grows, this becomes less necessary. I hope our younger generation doesn't have this 'burden of proof'

If this doesn't apply to you then there is no burden. You've got nothing to worry about.

It strikes me very similar to the #notallmen situation where most of the people who feel the need to get defensive and use that excuse are most likely to fall in the category of the men up to no good.

mckmas8808

I'm not going to call you out, because I'm going to assume you didn't read his tweets. Because if you seen his tweets you'd notice that he was first of all calling "black" people in general animals and savages.

Secondly you'd notice his tone and the amount of sexism that he spewed goes deeper than her hitting him a couple times.

I can remember being jumped as a kid and my mind racing to a number of places in terms of insults. In the heat of the moment, you grasp for whatever is most hurtful or at least dig into the person the most aside from a fist of course. It doesn't give the person a pass, but then again the threat of violence shouldn't be treated as an every day occurrence.

I believe I recall Jonah Hill calling a paparazzo a faggot a while back and quickly apologized for it simply due to how hurtful the comment was and the fact that it was flung in a moment of passion. A reasonable person at least acknowledges that they went too far... this guy doubled down, no?

There are a handful of moments in my life that I will haunt me, and two of them have been exactly as you described. I was so angry that I yelled out the most hurtful thing I could say, which happened to be racially based. I didn't do it because I was racist (as far as I think...), but because I knew it would hurt. Now, obviously I was aware of the racism in our society that gave the words such power, but it was more about hurting the other person than it was about a hatred for an ethnicity. Either way though, I always feel ashamed when I think back to those moments.

If this doesn't apply to you then there is no burden. You've got nothing to worry about.

It strikes me very similar to the #notallmen situation where most of the people who feel the need to get defensive and use that excuse are most likely to fall in the category of the men up to no good.

I feel conflicted about the #notallmen thing. I mean, it's true, not all men are misogynists like not all white people are racist. And despite what some may say, I believe that it is a distinction that some people lost when making their arguments. But then there are shitheads that use it as an excuse to derail conversations, so what are you gonna do?

Alienous

Did you read his tweets? You're going above and beyond to give the guy the benefit of the doubt despite the evidence we have. Why?

I've read the tweets, and I've heard the show in the past. Despite being 'comically racist' (not in terms of humor, but exaggeration) it's true that he does have relationships with black people. He clearly doesn't think that all black people are "animals". Clearly. And he's elaborated as much.

He didn't double down though. He just said he wouldn't apologize. He clarified that he was talking specifically about the people that attacked him. Then he did talk about what he perceived to be a problem with violence in black communities, compared to others. The worst he said is that he wished his attackers dead. That he got fired for, seemingly.

mckmas8808

To me it sounds like America purchasing its land. But that doesn't excuse the history, and to me its kind of insulting. "Here's some cash, better now?". I also am doubtful of how helpful it'll be in the long term.

But it's better to do that, than to never pay for your past sins. Nothing will help long term more than given the land back and walking away from it free and clear.

But we know that's never going to happen. So at least the government can admit fault and pay for their past crimes/aggressions.

I've read the tweets, and I've heard the show in the past. Despite being 'comically racist' (not in terms of humor, but exaggeration) it's true that he does have relationships with black people. He clearly doesn't think that all black people are "animals". Clearly. And he's elaborated as much.
"He has black friends." Why choose to take him at face value for one thing while willfully dismissing anything on the opposite side he's done?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Damn. That article is something else.

Still, I do sympathize with people who do not feel at all like they need to prove anything, just because of the past. A white person today didn't commit the wrongs of a white person years ago.

I think we all have the burden of proof about one thing or another, but I really like how he stated that the past does affect the present, which a lot of people want to gloss over.

mckmas8808

He didn't double down though. He just said he wouldn't apologize. He clarified that he was talking specifically about the people that attacked him. Then he did talk about what he perceived to be a problem with violence in black communities, compared to others. The worst he said is that he wished his attackers dead. That he got fired for, seemingly.

You either really didn't see the tweets or you're getting close to being racially insensitive. I just want to let you know, because people will call you out on that.

Alienous are you ignorant to the history of black people being called the word "animal", "ape", "dog", or "monkey" in America?

Alienous

You either really didn't see the tweets or you're getting close to being racially insensitive. I just want to let you know, because people will call you out on that.

Alienous are you ignorant to the history of black people being called the word "animal", "ape", "dog", or "monkey" in America?

Wait, fuck. He called them "apes" and "monkeys"? That's some obscenely racist shit. I don't recall reading that.

Edit: Two posts, my bad.

it was just one incident of a racist man being held accountable...this all of a sudden is not proof of a burden upon the wider demographic.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Oh yes, because a guy who tweets, "savage violent animal fucks prey on white people..." followed up shortly by "There's a deep seeded problem with violence in the black community..." is just talking about a very specific set of black people and isn't applying it to ALL blacks. Sure.

Alienous

You're thinking the best of Cumia and not his supposed attacker though...despite his racist history and incredibly inflammatory tweets.

In what sense? Perhaps he hurt himself, but he tweeted pictures where his eye appeared to have been hit. So I'm assuming he was hit. But yes, that could be a farce.

In what sense? Perhaps he hurt himself, but he tweeted pictures where his eye appeared to have been hit. So I'm assuming he was hit. But yes, that could be a farce.

I believe the photo you're referring to was not from that incident.

He actually posted a pic of himself the day after the attack where he didn't have a mark on him.

Wazzy

Banned
It's a really great article that presents the harsh reality for white men. These stereotypes and profiling of minorities and women that many experience every day of their life is now something white men are realizing is no longer going to be exclusive to minorities and women. I think it's good to understand this because the reactions will show that they don't like being generalized as being racist, homophobic, sexist, etc. The response will be negative.

To which I say, welcome to how minorities and women feel. Maybe now you can try having some empathy?

Alienous

Oh yes, because a guy who tweets, "savage violent animal fucks prey on white people..." followed up shortly by "There's a deep seeded problem with violence in the black community..." is just talking about a very specific set of black people and isn't applying it to ALL blacks. Sure.

Well, he said he didn't mean "ALL blacks". And it's hard to argue that he thinks of all blacks that way given that he has amicable relations with black people.

But I'll stop right here. I don't disagree with how he was punished.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, he said he didn't mean "ALL blacks". And it's hard to argue that he thinks of all blacks that way given that he has amicable relations with black people.

You're literally using the age-old fallacy of trying to prove that someone isn't racist simply because they also have friends/partners of X race.

mckmas8808

So he has a problem with "most" blacks. How is this much better for him?

He doesn't have the right to be employed by Sirius.

Do you guys ever see racism going away? It is so ingrained in us at this point that I honestly can't see it ever ending. From institutional racism to subconscious thoughts we have every day it seems impossible to completely get rid of it. Although I truly wish we could for the sake of our future. Does anyone have a theory on how we could come together as a whole and stop this madness not just for blacks but for every race or is it just wishful thinking?

Also I agree with the comment about violence in the black community. I've seen so many of my friends and family members become victim of black on black crime that it's sickening. It honestly makes me disgusted to be a part of this community sometimes when I see so many of my brothers and sisters just throwing their lives away for the dumbest of reasons.

Alienous

I was seeing it more as if you assume, despite him saying otherwise, that he was talking about ALL black people rather than specifically the people who (seemingly) attacked him, then his relationships would seem to discredit that interpretation. And if he isn't talking about "all blacks", then he might be truthful in saying that he was talking about the people who (potentially) attacked him.

But your viewpoint is certainly valid also, and quite possibly correct.

He doesn't have the right to be employed by Sirius.

Well, yeah. Exactly. I don't think otherwise.

studyguy

Which goes back to the point I made earlier about him handling the PR so poorly. Versus other examples of celebs saying something in the heat of the moment.

Besides the fact that he went on a twitter rant and opened himself up to the scrutiny of the entire damn internet. When the celeb culture already has you under a microscope, asking for more people to question your behavior will only incite more negative press.

He could spell out what he meant to say a thousand times and he'll still have to deal with a flood of people perceiving a slight against them anyway. Better to just say you were in the wrong than leave an open question on the table. If I get punched in the face, I'd probably be bound to say all kinds of stupid things, but it doesn't make them any more or less justified after the fact.

aeolist

Banned
I feel conflicted about the #notallmen thing. I mean, it's true, not all men are misogynists like not all white people are racist. And despite what some may say, I believe that it is a distinction that some people lost when making their arguments. But then there are shitheads that use it as an excuse to derail conversations, so what are you gonna do?

the problem with #notallmen is that while not all men are misogynists and rapists, the vast majority of misogynists and rapists are men

so yes, you can have a discussion about men needing to be taught to respect women and not commit sex crimes and you don't have to preclude it with #notallmen

Two Words

To change the topic slightly, have any other black people noticed when a white person or group are relieved that you are not a stereotypical angry/rude black person? I've had times where I need to speak to a white person and I might suspect a slight tinge of "Oh man, please don't be a mean stereotypical black guy" and as soon as I start acting like an average American, there is a very apparent sigh of relief showing on their face.

I notice this a lot whenever I go to a small business like a restaurant or corner store. It's always kind of annoying, especially when you start to feel like you're being treated nicer because you are excelling at surpassing a very low bar. I've even had people compliment my speech, which seems like a rather strange compliment for any adult. It's something you say to a kid who doesn't speak like a kid.

Alienous

To change the topic slightly, have any other black people noticed when a white person or group are relieved that you are not a stereotypical angry/rude black person? I've had times where I need to speak to a white person and I might suspect a slight tinge of "Oh man, please don't be a mean stereotypical black guy" and as soon as I start acting like an average American, there is a very apparent sigh of relief showing on their face.

I notice this a lot whenever I go to a small business like a restaurant or corner store. It's always kind of annoying, especially when you start to feel like you're being treated nicer because you are excelling at surpassing a very low bar. I've even had people compliment my speech, which seems like a rather strange compliment for any adult. It's something you say to a kid who doesn't speak like a kid.

Speaking from experience that does exist. Being well spoken alone is enough to elicit that response.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard "you sound white" I would be rich.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

That's very much on-topic.

There's a relevant quote in the article posted in the OP, in fact.

To those of you who don't get it, I will say this; every time I encounter White people in any setting I am self-conscious about about being the best example of a Black man I can be so that I don't reinforce stereotypes about My gender and My race. That is a burden I did not ask for, it is one I was born into and you know what? It's exhausting. It is exhausting to have to constantly monitor yourself because your appearance and demeanor may get you rejected, fired, or in some cases killed.

mckmas8808

Do you guys ever see racism going away? It is so ingrained in us at this point that I honestly can't see it ever ending. From institutional racism to subconscious thoughts we have every day it seems impossible to completely get rid of it. Although I truly wish we could for the sake of our future. Does anyone have a theory on how we could come together as a whole and stop this madness not just for blacks but for every race or is it just wishful thinking?

Also I agree with the comment about violence in the black community. I've seen so many of my friends and family members become victim of black on black crime that it's sickening. It honestly makes me disgusted to be a part of this community sometimes when I see so many of my brothers and sisters just throwing their lives away for the dumbest of reasons.

No racism will never go away. There is no theory that can fix that. It's like asking for crime to go away completely. It's impossible.

And if you agree with his point of violence in the black community, then you are ignorant to the realities of this country and the world. There is a lot of white on white crimes too that happen in America. You should never be ashamed to be black just because the neighborhood is violent. We are not animals, nor should we think of ourselves in such a way.

While it's pretty obvious that the world would be a better place if nobody was burdened by the presuppositions of others, that's just not how it works. So I can live with my burden, because it isn't difficult for me to not act like a blinkering cockslot.

Infinite

It's up to those who benefit from and run these institutions to dismantle them.

Explain the second part of your post

gogosox82

Immediately thought of this when I read your post and yeah I get that a lot as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom