• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
That list, while a bit optimistic in some areas, is pretty encouraging. I could see a bit of a backlog developing for me at the beginning of the console's lifespan.

Oh yeah, i aslo discovered you can "pop" the bubbles in the background on the wii homebrew channel using the hand pointer. Thought that was neat.

AceBandage said:
No, it was a sequel with a spin off's budget.
And a spinoff's title.
Apophis2036 said:
Didn't Nintendo announce Wii was still shifting 10 million consoles per year at the last investors meeting ?.
About that from last April through this March, but that's a pretty big step down from before and it continues down. They expect about that much this year from Wii and Wii U combined.
Apophis2036 said:
People will not buy third party games for Wii U because at first they will all be availalbe for PS360 and then for next gen they will all look better on the PS4 / 720.
There's nothing they can do to grab entrenched GAF graphic whore types in the long run, sure. But what they can do is increase appeal to the people like my uncle, who got a Wii for the family but were disappointed when games like Madden weren't even in the same style as the PS360 versions.
Apophis2036 said:
As for the differences being a lot less than people think, there are a couple of people who post in this very thread who are saying in other threads that PS4 / 720 will have close to 2 terraFLOPs of GPU grunt, if they do then Nintendo are in huge trouble and just like Wii they will be lucky to get ports never mind horrible in comparison versions.
A Wii U that can only flop 1/4 as well as the newer competition would still be significantly closer than Wii is to PS360.

WhyMe6

I was just listening to Okami's OST recently, and it popped into my head just how perfect the Wii U's controller would be for a new Okami game.

I mean, let's face it, the Wiimote was not perfect for the game - I had more success painting with the PS2 controller. However, the Wii U touchpad, which would enable back-and-forth transmission of a painted-on screenshot, would be perfect for the game.

I know it wouldn't be the same without Platinumgames at the helm, but please oh please Capcom! You know you want to!

Anyone expecting an insane graphical bump next gen should ready some tissues... for their tears, not no mast... to the screens....

I am still impressed with what developers could squeeze out of current gen. The H/W back when the consoles (PS360) launched was truly the best you propably could get for a console in the 500/600$ segment. So in order to get the graphics to jump as much again, then we would need a $1000+ console... With people having less money due to shitty economy, a 500/600$ console propably wouldn´t work.

Who was he dude that said "Avatar like graphics" on the Nextbox?

I was just listening to Okami's OST recently, and it popped into my head just how perfect the Wii U's controller would be for a new Okami game.

I mean, let's face it, the Wiimote was not perfect for the game - I had more success painting with the PS2 controller. However, the Wii U touchpad, which would enable back-and-forth transmission of a painted-on screenshot, would be perfect for the game.

I know it wouldn't be the same without Platinumgames at the helm, but please oh please Capcom! You know you want to!

I just wish Okamiden had been delayed and reworked for the 3DS.
Would have been gorgeous.

Am I the only one that don't want multiple upad support? Being able to play local multiplayer out of the box without having to buy several expensive controllers is awesome?

Also for the bird demo: Look at water trickling down over that boulder with hawkish bird on it. Go find a similar boulder in skyrim on ps360. Compare.

lednerg

Something about the E3 demos that doesn't get talked about is how they were made prior to Wii U gaining its customized GPU features and long before any of the upgrades of later SDKs. While I'm not saying we're going to be seeing a night-and-day difference between those demos and whatever is at E3, I would say we're in for an improvement with the newer stuff.

Something about the E3 demos that doesn't get talked about is how they were made prior to Wii U gaining its customized GPU features and long before any of the upgrades of later SDKs. While I'm not saying we're going to be seeing a night-and-day difference between those demos and whatever is at E3, I would say we're in for an improvement with the newer stuff.

I actually wonder if they'll bother showing off the tech demos again.
They should have plenty of fully playable stuff there this year.
The third party games likely won't look much difference, but Nintendo's games should be pretty stunning.

lednerg

I actually wonder if they'll bother showing off the tech demos again.
They should have plenty of fully playable stuff there this year.
The third party games likely won't look much difference, but Nintendo's games should be pretty stunning.

Whatever happened to that Wii U demo from Crytek UK? Last I heard it being talked about was back before GDC. I don't remember if it was a game or a tech demo or what, but I'm hoping it'll show up in some form or another. If Crytek is serious about being a middleware contender this time around, they're going to have to jump into the next gen spotlight sooner rather than later.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I just hope that Pikmin 3 will look amazing once we see it.

It was one of the reason they moved it to the Wii U, after all.

And I don't think they'll bother with the tech demos again. Or it will be new ones.

Whatever happened to that Wii U demo from Crytek UK? Last I heard it being talked about was back before GDC. I don't remember if it was a game or a tech demo or what, but I'm hoping it'll show up in some form or another. If Crytek is serious about being a middleware contender this time around, they're going to have to jump into the next gen spotlight sooner rather than later.

That was supposedly a behind closed doors thing at GDC.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
The only thing that I didn't impress me from the bird demo was the ground textures and rendering. Seemed much less detailed than the rest of the environment and over saturated.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

And I don't think they'll bother with the tech demos again. Or it will be new ones.
There's a good chance we'll see controller demos along the lines of Chase Mii which are planned to be included in some future compilation. E3 2006 featured prototypes of Wii Music's Mii Maestro and Wii Sports Resort's air sports mini game.

MDX

Its an interesting video because Iwata totally didnt see the future where multiplatform is the standard. The days of exclusives are over except for 1st party basically.

Already began the Wii talk in 2001 too.

Sounds like they did see it coming.
They offered the Wii as a low cost alternative, easy to migrate from GCN, but big publishers with their own agenda (killing off smaller successful studios) didnt bite.

Now, with the WiiU, Nintendo is going to offer another option. Co-publishing or development. Allowing big publishers to take risks with alternative titles. These titles will be exclusive of course to the WiiU.

No matter what, Nintendo does not want to be a third wheel. They want to swim in their own ocean. But they do recognize they need third parties to maintain hardware sales. So they will be building bridges, and thats why the NDA's, the secrecy.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
OT/

Does anyone know why YouTube runs like SHIT on iPad 1? Fucking streams stall out at 4-5 seconds and won't load more than a few seconds at a time. But sometimes it loads fine. Really pissing me off.

I miss the days when you could download all game trailers and then watch them on your desktop. Most everything is streamed these days. No suspension with streams.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
But the demo itself seems unachievable on current gen systems.

That doesn't mean a geforce 520 is as powerful as 580 just because the latter can't do something the former can't

Just a confluence of them that is unlikely on the current consoles.

I can't disagree with this :p.

Yeah, I know, but I've never really argued otherwise. I just think it's silly when people discredit how good Samaritan looks. Frankly the tessellation it was using probably does make it literally impossible on current generation hardware.

I'm still pretty adamant that Pikmin 3 won't be a graphical showcase, if it's aiming for launch, just because of its Wii origins.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
OT/

Does anyone know why YouTube runs like SHIT on iPad 1? Fucking streams stall out at 4-5 seconds and won't load more than a few seconds at a time. But sometimes it loads fine. Really pissing me off.
I'm guessing it's because Youtube's HTML5 implementation is still a bit crap.

Yeah, that makes sense about Pikmin 3.

I picture a Wii game in 720p/1080p but with a higher cap of onscreen pikmin/objects than Wii could've done. Some impressive Pikmin "particle" effects as they move around.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Yeah, I know, but I've never really argued otherwise. I just think it's silly when people discredit how good Samaritan looks. Frankly the tessellation it was using probably does make it literally impossible on current generation hardware.
Xenos can do tessellation, it's just not particularly good at it - it's a multi-pass technique involving the memexport path.

tkscz

I never discredit Samaritan for looking good, there is no denying that. I just point out how Crytek basically did the same thing with lesser hardware. But hey, the CryEngine isn't used as much as the UE3 is so.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Xenos can do tessellation, it's just not particularly good at it - it's a multi-pass technique involving the memexport path.

Yeah, Halo 3 used it for the water, didn't it?

antonz

Since the topic has surfaced again.

The thing with the bird demo is there were 2 versions of it. The Sizzle Reel version and the show floor version. The show floor version was much more detailed in everything from the feathers on the bird to the overall environment.

daakusedo

Pikmin will be compared to the garden demo, so it better be as impressive, plus I think the game didn't shift to wiiu too late to the point it was practically finished, and I'm sure there were some tea tables on the way.

Thrillhouse said:
Am I the only one that don't want multiple upad support? Being able to play local multiplayer out of the box without having to buy several expensive controllers is awesome?
I don't think any of us hoping for multiple pad support are also hoping that would mean the end of wiimote support. But if that were the only option, it would be limiting.

Gahiggidy

EatChildren, I expect Pikmin 3 to be arguably the most graphically advanced game yet. They will have had around two years working on it using the new hardware. Plus, unless Nintendo has a surprise 3D Super Mario game, Pikmin will be the flagship character franchise luanch game from EAD. They are not going to want to disappoint in the visuals for this game.

TriGen

I was just talking to my brother last night, he's someone that used to love Nintendo, owning every home console from the NES-GC. Once the Xbox was released, and Xbox Live became functional he sold his GC, passed up on the Wii, and has been a strict 360 gamer this-gen. Well when the topic of E3 came up we started by talking about "the big three", and what we noticed was that every time we started talking about Sony, or Microsoft the conversation would lead back to Nintendo almost everytime, this usually never happens as we play together over Xbox Live, so that usaully dominates the conversation.

The reason it seemed to go back to Nintendo was why? Because of the games, we started talking about a possible ED2 showing, which I never played, but my brother loved, then we started talking about HD Zeld, and Mario, we talked about Nintendo pushing their online with the Wii U, and how maybe they could make possible spin-off online games with co-op, so we could enjoy our favorite Nintendo universes together.

Well the point is by the time we were done talking, my brother who last time I saw in person (holidays) said emphatically that he would not want a Wii U, all the sudden is hyped about it, and is pretty much guarenteed to get one. He will surely get the next Xbox as well, but it goes to show you that when it gets down to it software is the most important thing, it was thinking about owning Nintendo exclusives again that got him pumped for the Wii U.

I think this also shows something I have said in other posts, people that hate Nintendo likely aren't going to change their mind, but people that have had interest in Nintendo in the past, but went away because they felt their online service wasn't up to snuff, or the fact that the Wii didn't have HD, or that the Wiimote was the primary controller, those people are still potential Wii U customers.

There is a market that thought the Wii was awful that will be interested in the Wii U, because of past Nintendo interest, and that's the people to aim for, "dudebros" aren't all the sudden gonna be Nintendo die-hards, but people that used to like Nintendo but started liking the way western companies started doing things better, those are the ones to aim for, so when people say Retro should be working on a game geared at the west, I agree, but it needs to have that happy middle ground, because the western audience that will be interested, probaly loved Nintendo all along.

If this seemed pointless or boring I apologize, but I don't see/talk to my brother much, and a lot of my memories are of he and I working through Zelda temples together, playing Golden Eye, stuff like that, so when I heard him getting hyped for Nintendo' E3 confrenece, it got pumped, and I felt compelled to share with gaf.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wonder if the Pikmin themselves will see much of an improvement. They are very much like Kirby in that regard, smooth out the edges but overall they will look the same as their GCN forms.

Vagabundo

nintendo always makes underpowered systems. the best they had in 1994 when saturn and playstation had 3d games was donkey kong country, and in 2000 when the ps2 had the bouncer, nintendo was releasing some zelda game (which needed more power to run because the system was too weak).

and then there's the wii, which should have been what the wii u is because at least that way nintendo would have made money (i think they lost like two billion dollars this year?)

Damn you almost got me.

I shouldn't be falling for such noob stuff .. :D

MDX

If this seemed pointless or boring I apologize, but I don't see/talk to my brother much, and a lot of my memories are of he and I working through Zelda temples together, playing Golden Eye, stuff like that, so when I heard him getting hyped for Nintendo' E3 confrenece, it got pumped, and I felt compelled to share with gaf.

That Nintendo Nostalgia working its Magic

Gahiggidy

I wonder if the Pikmin themselves will see much of an improvement. They are very much like Kirby in that regard, smooth out the edges but overall they will look the same as their GCN forms.
I think it'd be cool if they were slightly translucent when lit from behind with direct sunlight. Kinda like soft tissue plant life.

isn't that kinda borderline portbegging

I think the rule on portbegging is more along the lines of "don't be annoying" and is completely based on context. It was made to address a specific problem at the time that has died down a lot since then.

i.e. if we have a thread titled GOD OF WAR 4 ANNOUNCED and the first reply is "please please please make this for WiiU," that is worth punishment.

But I don't think anyone cares if you casually say "I'd like to see X game on Y platform" when such a thing is within the realm of possibility, it's not out worldwide yet, and you're not being very aggressive about it.

what would people think of nintendo releasing two pricing options for the WiiU?

Standard upfront

$349 1 tablet one wiimote+ nunchuck 1 pack in game 2 downloads/free software apps. free online.
$99 extra tablet

contract

$99 plus $15 a month 24 months 2 tablets 1 pack in game one wiimote+nunchuck 2 downloads/apps and free online.

How would this affect the perception of the console by sonsumers seeing as its a new console with a new option for a pricing structure. big department chains already do this in aome countries with payment plans but what about an official one?

I don't like the idea myself but is it a viable option for those who are price sensitive? if a console gets banned you can pay a fee to get it unbanned. $99 would be a good fee but all your stats get reset to 0 and you are forced to use a new username and contacts list. this might mitigate piracy and alleviate having to pay a termination fee which would be about the same amount as the fine plus what is left of the contract.

No, I absolutely would NOT be interested in a package similar to the $99 360/Kinect/Live sub with termination penalties. Keep cell phone contract style price structuring scams FAR AWAY from my Nintendo console.

Here's the part where you explain the "why?"

Because it was discussed and examined in detail a year ago and determined to be difficult if not impossible to achieve on current gen systems. I have no idea which thread one would start looking in, but it's been done. We don't have all the details memorized.

I think it'd be cool if they were slightly translucent when lit from behind with direct sunlight. Kinda like soft tissue plant life.

Or this, which would be perfect:

jLuqH.jpg

No, I absolutely would NOT be interested in a package similar to the $99 360/Kinect/Live sub with termination penalties. Keep cell phone contract style price structuring scams FAR AWAY from my Nintendo console.

If everyone else does it, I certainly want Nintendo to do it. Imagine how the public would see it, PS4 for $99!* 720 for $99!* WiiU for $300.

EVIL

isn't that kinda borderline portbegging

I never played monster hunter on a portable system and am not planning to A couple of mates and I have been playing tri on the Wii every Wednesday and I really enjoy it, sitting on the couch, beer in hand, playing monster hunter. So a new monster hunter for the Wii successor would be fantastic. and I want to see that game with allot more graphical enhancement. I mean monster hunter looks great on psp, wii, 3DS so I want to see their take MH and put it on a next gen console and see what graphical amazingness they can pull out of it. just imagining a rathalos flying over a forest scene and burst trough the tree tops in the middle of the group, branches splintering and him landing on the floor while the tree slowly falls down behind him.. ahh gawd!

OT/

I miss the days when you could download all game trailers and then watch them on your desktop. Most everything is streamed these days. No suspension with streams.

Man, I changed DNS according to the link below. No more youtube problems on my ipad 1 since then:

http://www.ipadintouch.com/the-ways-to-fix-slow-youtube-on-ipad/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom