• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Wii U Speculation Thread V: Get Off My Lawn!

I'm just happy that I kind of always sucked a little at games, so I don't have your particular madness.
Superb title idea, haha!

Lucky lucky man. maybe that's why I loved Wind Waker's Nintendo Gallery.. taking pictographs of every character and enemy wasn't as difficult as, say, perfectly shooting all Blue Octos in Clock Town's Shooting Gallery. Ugh..

Nilaul

About the arriving date of the mass production kits, i wouldn't use this as a proof that the system will launch rather early, maybe this time, Nintendo want to supply third-parties enough in advance from E3 for them to try to take advantage of its changes before the show, maybe they are tagged "mass production", but small revisions (like a V5.1) will come after, etc. It doesn't exclude the possibility of an earlier that we thought launch either.

Yes they are different

Basically, to spill the beans on the first mysterious line (5% of the content of my message), the dev kit color is original, and different than for the V4. I think i rarely seen such color used on a dev kit.

Does a translucent colour counts as a colour?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
You need to use different words than "polluting"/"pollution" and "nurturing".

Too repetitive and it makes me think of a toxic waste dump being on the receiving end of a breastfeeder.

It in turn recalls Baby Reggie so please make it stop...

taint ? foul ? contaminate ? :p

I'm getting old too, it sucks.
I go around calling everyone "Sonny" and asking them if they know where I can find some booty.

s-BETTY-WHITE-OFF-THEIR-ROCKERS-large.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
I really enjoy a lot of posters in this thread. There's gonna be an onslaught of trolls waiting for NintendoGAF in the coming days ahead. Please guys, don't allow their ignorance to get at you, thus contributing to the decadence of this thread/community.
I'm ready for the onslaught:

ioDMRHe7OhmvC.jpg

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Thanks for the advice, I really should've educated myself more when it comes to GIMP.

Note to myself: Replace old version of GIMP with 2.8 and install the various extensions, such as this one.

Edit:

Does gold count ? If it does, my not-so-serious theory still stands.

Yep, "special" color counts

Increasing the resolution would take little-to-no money or effort. It probably just comes down to whether or not Wii U can handle it.

Then again, I could see Microsoft pushing against it...

If the Wii U is as powerful as the leaks on this thread suggest (Slightly more powerful 360 CPU, 2GB's of system Ram and a 1 teraFLOP GPU) then it should be able to run any current gen, third party game at 1080p / 30fps.

Whether developers will bother is another matter...

guek

Banned
If the Wii U is as powerful as the leaks on this thread suggest (Slightly more powerful 360 CPU, 2GB's of system Ram and a 1 teraFLOP GPU) then it should be able to run any current gen, third party game at 1080p / 30fps.

Don't count on a 1 teraflop gpu

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

btw, sorry i didn't have the time to answer you, i don't know the calculation capabilities of the Wii U GPU.

What i know is that the "initial" specs are correct, it was at the time a "RV7XX". Ditch the 64 bit memory controller/entry-budgeted/passive-cooled RV710 with lolling 80 SPU, you can narrow the performance range of the GPU included one year ago between 300/400 to 800 maximum SPU. For the GFLOPS, it could be from 400 to 1000, but i wouldn't take the 1 tera for granted.

But, and it's the central point, Nintendo heavily customized the Wii U GPU, i'm not even sure the one developers finally have on the mass production dev kits is really based (read: "just" a RV7XX with a lot of alterations) on this initial chip, maybe it's a really dedicated to their purposes custom design, a new one, and the RV7XX was a "placeholder". The fact that they tweaked the dev kits guts until rather recently + other parameters tends toward this assumption.

Other people like bg or wsippel have some interesting theories mixed with data from some of their sources + sleuthing on the net + whatever, that this GPU won't be a beast but will be granted of additional features, fixed functions, nice little things here and there that if developers take advantage of, the results on screen will be beautiful.

Don't count on a 1 teraflop gpu

If it's anything under 1 teraFLOP, then it will be a repeat of this gen third party wise when PS4 / 720 arrive imo :(.

Suppose it will be a Wii U for Nintendo exclusives and a PS4 for their exclusives and all third party games then...

BurntPork

Banned

I don't believe that it has a 1TFLOP GPU. It was clearly misinterpreted. From what I read, it was referring to the RV770, not specifically to Wii U. Also, only 1.5GB RAM is rumored for games.

Besides that, if it were that powerful, there definitely would not have been any on-par rumors in the first place. And, while I know people will hate me for saying this, the case just can't handle a GPU like that. It requires 800 ALUs @625MHz. That's not reasonable.

guek

Banned
If it's anything under 1 teraFLOP, then it will be a repeat of this gen third party wise when PS4 / 720 arrive imo :(.

Suppose it will be a Wii U for Nintendo exclusives and a PS4 for their exclusives and all third party games then...

Nah, I wouldn't necessarily come to that conclusion either. Just wait and see, it's just that 1 TFlop is very optimistic. It doesn't necessarily mean that anything less is going to be too weak for ports.

VAPitts

ladies and gentlemen, Nostradamus *applause*

btw, sorry i didn't have the time to answer you, i don't know the calculation capabilities of the Wii U GPU.

What i know is that the "initial" specs are correct, it was at the time a "RV7XX". Ditch the 64 bit memory controller/entry-budgeted/passive-cooled RV710 with lolling 80 SPU, you can narrow the performance range of the GPU included one year ago between 300/400 to 800 maximum SPU. For the GFLOPS, it could be from 400 to 1000, but i wouldn't take the 1 tera for granted.

But, and it's the central point, Nintendo heavily customized the Wii U GPU, i'm not even sure the one developers finally have on the mass production dev kits is really based (read: "just" a RV7XX with a lot of alterations) on this initial chip, maybe it's a really dedicated to their purposes custom design, a new one, and the RV7XX was a "placeholder". The fact that they tweaked the dev kits guts until rather recently + other parameters tends toward this assumption.

Other people like bg or wsippel have some interesting theories mixed with data from some of their sources + sleuthing on the net + whatever, that this GPU won't be a beast but will be granted of additional features, fixed functions, nice little things here and there that if developers take advantage of, the results on screen will be beautiful.

Thanks for the reply mate.

I thought it was a pretty well known fact that Wii U uses a custom Radeon 4770 GPU, which is 960 gigaFLOPs without Nintendo fine tuning it at all, would they down clock it ? !.

They will need at least the standard 970 gigaFLOPS imo or face being blown away by the PS4 / 720 on multi platfrom games as their rumoured dual GPU's combined are close to 2 terraFLOPS !.

BurntPork

Banned

I thought it was a pretty well known fact that Wii U uses a custom Radeon 4770 GPU, which is 960 gigaFLOPs without Nintendo fine tuning it at all, would they down clock it ? !.

They will need at least the standard 970 gigaFLOPS imo or face being blown away by the PS4 / 720 on multi platfrom games as their rumoured dual GPU's combined are close to 2 terraFLOPS !.

They would definitely have to down clock a 4770 significantly. Console GPUs are always downclocked, no exceptions. That'll go for PS4 and 720 as well, since the 7850 and 7870 simply cannot be put in a console at stock clocks.

ecosse_011172

I don't believe that it has a 1TFLOP GPU. It was clearly misinterpreted. From what I read, it was referring to the RV770, not specifically to Wii U. Also, only 1.5GB RAM is rumored for games.

Besides that, if it were that powerful, there definitely would not have been any on-par rumors in the first place. And, while I know people will hate me for saying this, the case just can't handle a GPU like that. It requires 800 ALUs @625MHz. That's not reasonable.

How many times does it have to be repeated that last year's E3 case is not necessarily the final design so no assumptions should be made on it?

HylianTom

Banned
the wii u could cook hamburgers for third party devs starving children and they still wouldn't develop for it.
It could be a financial life preserver whilst they drown in a sea of red ink, and they'd think it looks "too flimsy."

"I'll look like a kiddeh while wearing it.. *cough*gag*gurglegurgle*"
(I kid.. kinda..)

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

It's really more a question of features. Is the Wii U GPU not capable of handling, managing, calculating, understanding and rendering it on screen, visual things required for next gen engines, that PS420 GPU will.

I would be less concerned by the raw capacities of the chip. As an example (with flaws but you get my point) entry-budgeted RV515/RV530 based cards can run A LOT of recent pc games with directx 9 setting at a good resolution with reasonable graphical options, from my experience.

The cheap Redwood cards can handle directx 11 games rather well also.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing special, but full floor plans are up now (only West Hall was shown in the PDF Sony supplied): http://www.mapyourshow.com/shows/index.cfm?Show_ID=E312

In case you haven't seen it, Nintendo's booth (4822) is located in West Hall. Microsoft (4100) and Sony (4522) are there as well, it appears changes have been made as they now only have one booth each instead of two (as reported on the PDF dated March). So, no Durango or Orbis, then? Nah, amount of booths/booth size shouldn't reflect what a company intends to show.

nintendoe32012boothupjc1.png

Activision, Capcom, Electronic Arts, Sega, Square Enix and Ubisoft, to name a few exhibitors, reside in South Hall.

Following the addition of the floor plans, we should begin to see a rather steady addition of exhibitors under the Wii U product categories. Capcom used to be on the list, so perhaps they will be readded.

They would definitely have to down clock a 4770 significantly. Console GPUs are always downclocked, no exceptions. That'll go for PS4 and 720 as well, since the 7850 and 7870 simply cannot be put in a console at stock clocks.

Ah ok cheers.

Im more concerned for the Wii U only guys regarding the GPU power tbh so they get decent multi platform games, as long as the exclusive games look at least as good as the Zelda tech demo then i will be more than satisfied.

HylianTom

Banned
Rösti;37684495 said:
Nothing special, but full floor plans are up now (only West Hall was shown in the PDF Sony supplied): http://www.mapyourshow.com/shows/index.cfm?Show_ID=E312

In case you haven't seen it, Nintendo's booth (4822) is located in West Hall. Microsoft (4100) and Sony (4522) are there as well, it appears changes have been made as they now only have one booth each instead of two (as reported on the PDF dated March). So, no Durango or Orbis, then? Nah, amount of booths/booth size shouldn't reflect what a company intends to show.

nintendoe32012boothupjc1.png

Activision, Capcom, Electronic Arts, Sega, Square Enix and Ubisoft, to name a few exhibitors, reside in South Hall.

Following the addition of the floor plans, we should begin to see a rather steady addition of exhibitors under the Wii U product categories. Capcom used to be on the list, so perhaps they will be readded.
Alright, stampeders! You may now begin plotting the best route to the Nintendo booth!
{*in a StarFox voice:*}Goooood luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom