• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrWong

Since when? It was confirmed that they were "looking into the possibility of it" but never officially confirmed as in development. Unless i missed something
It's also what I thought but it seems it's more than just "looking into" as in this interview published today by Gameblog, Alex Mayberry, producer of the game, said:
Nous avons bien sûr le PVP qui va arriver mais nous travaillons aussi sur un développement consoles. / We're also working on a console development.
Hype?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Folks, don't do this to yourselves. It's one thing to believe Skyrim or BF3 will be arriving but don't go hoping for blizzard. You will just be let down.

what are you talking about? who said they believed it? the worst i've read is saying it would be plausible or it would make too much sense.

what are you talking about? who said they believed it? the worst i've read is saying it would be plausible or it would make too much sense.

people getting their hopes up. even saying it makes too much sense or that its plausible. may as well say that its plausible for Valve to bring HL3 to Wii U and make it exclusive.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
people getting their hopes up. even saying it makes too much sense or that its plausible. may as well say that its plausible for Valve to bring HL3 to Wii U and make it exclusive.

you're being hyperbolic.

btw Eloquent what is pictured in your avatar? It looks like two strips of bacon laying on denim to me.

you're almost right. they're sizzling on a pan but the pan is just textured. the picture is supposed to be a trope to burnt porks demise.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I'm gonna be a shit-disturber with this but here goes:

Hypothetically: Wii U is on par with current gen and this is made perfectly clear at E3.

Reaction?

Hypothetically: Wii U is on par with current gen and this is made perfectly clear at E3.

Reaction?
I know it's physically not possible so I can't suspend my belief that much. My worst case scenario from a bunch of pages back was actually plausible.

Donnie

Reaction?

I'd be extremely confused as to how that's possible. Much in the same way that I'd be confused if it was made clear that PS4 was only on par with WiiU next E3.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Reaction?

Unrealistic. That's my reaction.

Not a huge jump over this generation? Completely plausible.

Reaction?

"If several times the processor capabilities and RAM make no apparent difference, I guess we have hit the ceiling of technology. No reason to release new systems, Sony and MS."

I'll quote my worst case scenario from 10 pages ago since there is at least a 40% chance it will happen. I calculated it:

15 mins of orchestra, 15 mins of games you can buy elsewhere sooner, 10 mins of pikmin 3 demo, nsmb looking like an hd wii game, and a teaser for retro game coming out in a year.

/fin

Nintendo loses.

Donnie

By on par, I'm saying just barely or marginally better. Sorry for the confusion.

If you mean only two 360's duct taped together :) (but with a more modern architecture of course). My reaction would be slight disappointment, but I'd still be excited and especially look forward to what Nintendo could produce with the system. I'd also still have absolutely no interest in the other two systems.

HylianTom

Banned

Reaction?
Hmm. A bit surprised, as I thought it would be about a quarter-step between generations.

But I'm buying it nonetheless. Nintendo games in HD? After seeing what they've done with the modest lil' Wii, knowing what an increase this'll be from that level, I'm interested in what Nintendo can do..

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Hmm. A bit surprised, as I thought it would be about a quarter-step between generations.

But I'm buying it nonetheless. Nintendo games in HD? After seeing what they've done with the modest lil' Wii, knowing what an increase this'll be from that level, I'm interested in what Nintendo can do..

your eyes might explode Tom. goo everywhere.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
About the Wii U discs

We know that Wii U will use a "proprietary" disc format (in quotes because it's a bluray with small alterations, like how the files are written on it, the encryption method, etc.), planned to be able to store up to 25GB of data, according to Katsuya Egushi.

It was in an interview from one year ago though.

A small info, linked to my previous message talking about third-parties burning their E3 2012 demos on this optical media:

- All the proprietary Wii U discs received recently by developers are really 25GB (so they didn't made the format so much proprietary that the space would be 20GB in the end in an unlikely example)
- None of them received 50GB discs.

Context time

- Note that my info come from a few sources, working in different studios, so it reinforces the fact that 25GB is a standard.
- Some of the games involved are huge in size (with FMV/CGI, etc.) but not to a point to fill up those discs (more like 10GB).

Assumption/Speculation

25 GB discs are certainly single layer "bluray", it's not sure if Nintendo choose an optical drive that could only read single layer discs (if they exists, and i assume the advantages, like savings, etc, are minimal, compare to the widespread drives capable of reading dual layer bluray) or not. The Wii could read dual layer DVD so i don't know why Big N would limit themselves to single layer bluray, but it's not sure for the moment, as every discs currently in possession of third-parties are 25GB. Maybe when they'll need more room later, Nintendo will release 50GB discs.

Instro

Reaction?

I'd be all like, shit sucks but where are my games bro. I'll be buying a PS4 regardless, and a new gaming PC, so its not like the WiiU is going to be my only console.

Instro

25 GB discs are certainly single layer "bluray", it's not sure if Nintendo choose an optical drive that could only read single layer discs (if they exists, and i assume the advantages, like savings, etc, are minimal, compare to the widespread drives capable of reading dual layer bluray) or not. The Wii could read dual layer DVD so i don't know why Big N would limit themselves to single layer bluray, but it's not sure for the moment, as every discs currently in possession of third-parties are 25GB. Maybe when they'll need more room later, Nintendo will release 50GB discs.

I would assume that its 25GB to start and they will manufacturing 50gb ones as necessary. I don't know of any benefits to a single layer drive, nor do I know of such things even existing.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I would assume that its 25GB to start and they will manufacturing 50gb ones as necessary. I don't know of any benefits to a single layer drive, nor do I know of such things even existing.

yeah even the ps3 drive reads dual layer and its a relatively old reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom