• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero148

Are you trying to say vita is to ps3 as WiiU is to ps4???

I think he is trying to say, that the Vita will output better graphics than the HD twins in a couple of years, although on paper it is less powerful. The reason for this statement could be the lower res Vita screen.

In comparism to WiiU he says, that the Vita will have similar graphics as the WiiU.

Isn't the RAM the bottleneck of PS360? I think only double amount of RAM and the same CPU and GPU as the current gen consoles should already improve the performance and as far as I know out of these threads the WiiU should have 1 - 1,5 GB of RAM, which should be pretty fast (didn't Nintendo always go for very fast RAM?). Furthermore a more modern GPU and CPU, so I have no bit doubt that the WiiU will outclass the current gen consoles. Not by a full generational leap (10x the power) but it should be significant if the developers of WiiU games and versions fpr multiplat titles put some effort in it.

Thraktor

I think the CPU will be one of the lesser upgrades as far as out and out performance goes. But if a developer makes use of WiiU's DSP and IO processor the CPU should be freed up to allow for better physics and AI then it possible on current gen consoles.

Don't underestimate the benefit of out-of-order execution
(let alone the larger cache and probably significantly improved AltiVec units)

I think he is trying to say, that the Vita will output better graphics than the HD twins in a couple of years, although on paper it is less powerful. The reason for this statement could be the lower res Vita screen.

In comparism to WiiU he says, that the Vita will have similar graphics as the WiiU.

Exactly.

BlackJace

The visuals that the Vita will output will be about what we will see on the Wii U. Not sure what there is to understand. I wouldn't be surprised if the Vita will output more impressive visuals in a couple of years than what we got out of the PS3. Just as I expect that the Wii U will eventually output better visuals than the PS3/360.

I'm not following you. Please elaborate :p

Mithos

There are some games that use that much space now, and it will only become more common as games start using post-PS360 level assets. MOST games won't need it, sure.
And most of the time it is because they have multiple versions of the soundtracks on the disc, DD + DTS + Uncompressed sound on the PS3 is it not.

AGITΩ

Havent posted in a while since the switch to Community. But I'm not expecting too much in the GPU department. Current Gen Graphics just done with modern GPU's for efficiency, and a lot more RAM. I also want a return of an expansion slot for even more RAM.

Instro

The PSP never came remotely close to its console counterpart, the PS2, on the small screen. To think the Vita will ever touch the PS3 or anything beyond that, even on a small screen, is insane.

Donnie

Don't underestimate the benefit of out-of-order execution
(let alone the larger cache and probably significantly improved AltiVec units)

That's what I meant by out and out performance, not significantly faster in raw power but much more efficient. I don't know about the significantly improved Altivec units, I hope its improved in that way but I don't think we've heard much info on that so far.

lednerg

I'd look it up myself, but is OLED strictly to do with colour or does it have some effect on resolution?
OLED also has nearly perfect black levels, giving it an amazing contrast ratio. The resolution of the screen itself is slightly higher than the DRC's, but that's not because it's OLED.
Except it won't cost more to do so. Creating a beautiful game on the Vita won't cost as much as it will on the PS4/nextbox/Wii U.

If that's what you need to believe, then go ahead. Sounds a lot like what Dre was saying about the Wii before it launched, and we all know how that turned out.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wait, you doubt that Vita will be receiving ports just like the PSP did? So no NBA 2K for Vita? No God of War for Vita? No more Uncharted for Vita? No Assassins Creed for Vita?

Well, first off, it is not like the PSP received a ton of HD ports, especially as the generation went forward.

Second, you aren't exactly going out on a limb by mentioning Sony franchises.

I expect Vita support to be noticeably worse than PSP, which wasn't very good outside of Japan anyways.

Wii U has a much better chance at receiving PS4/720 downports than Vita.

Well, first off, it is not like the PSP received a ton of HD ports, especially as the generation went forward.

Second, you aren't exactly going out on a limb by mentioning Sony franchises.

I expect Vita support to be noticeably worse than PSP, which wasn't very good outside of Japan anyways.

Wii U has a much better chance at receiving PS4/720 downports than Vita.
Not really going out on a limb saying sports titles either, even if it was the show thats a sony franchise too.

Actually I think all of Blizzards games would work on that console because of that DRC

Yup, the DRC is ideal for RPGs and MMOs and especially suited (as Vigil stated a while back!) to grabbing loot. I wasn't too keen on the idea of a touchscreen controller when I first heard about it but I'm pretty much sold on the idea now.

I'm still hoping that someone is working on a poker game. In-game video chat so you can see people's poker faces, local multiplayer using more than 1 DRC and a comprehensive career mode starting off in seedy backroom bars and progressing to world tournaments. Throw in organised crime and loan sharks and whoever publishes this will have themselves a money making machine as long as the AI is balanced right.

DO IT NAO, PUBLISHERS, DO IT NAO!!!!!

Zero148

Do we know anything about WiiU's RAM Speed? As far as I know Nintendo always headed for pretty high RAM transfer rates in their consoles.

If we would say WiiU has 1 GB of RAM, but a 2 times higher transfer rate as PS360, would the RAM then effectively be 4 times higher than in current gen consoles (at a theoretical indentical transfer rate)? I hope my question is understandable ^^

Kingven

Meanwhile at LAX:

TVySK.jpg

Pikmin 3: Believe!

ij5JY.jpg

HylianTom

Banned
You guys think Iwata and Reggie know about their memes, do you think they laugh over them?
I'll bet Reggie has someone put any new ones that he/she finds on Reggie's desk every morning. He seems like he'd be a pretty hip guy for stuff like that.

I'd love to see Nintendo acknowledge these memes during the show. For example.. if they really do insist on doing one of those cheesy media reels during the conference, throw a few memes in with the footage, as a shout-out to us freaks online, lol..

I'd like to see UE3 actually run on Vita at anything approaching acceptable fidelity before I decide if I think Vita can hold its own.

Right now it's very much like a PSP. In a few ways close, but overall not. And I honestly doubt it will have the support to keep up. The hardware is nowhere near as powerful as a 360, running at a similar resolution to a lot of 360 titles. Which means it will need either large budgets or extreme portability to keep pace.

Right now it has neither.

Portugeezer

I'll bet Reggie has someone put any new ones that he/she finds on Reggie's desk every morning. He seems like he'd be a pretty hip guy for stuff like that.

I'd love to see Nintendo acknowledge these memes during the show. For example.. if they really do insist on doing one of those cheesy media reels during the conference, throw a few memes in with the footage, as a shout-out to us freaks online, lol..

Iwata should come out with a bob-omb... and drop it... then commence the megaton announcement.

Zero148

Do you guys think we will see actual WiiU footage before the Nintendo Conference, like at EA or Ubisoft?

I know Ubisoft is confirmed to show games which are alo heading to WiiU during their conference, but this could also mean ACIII and we see footage of the PS360 Version or GRO online with PC footage. How high are the chances to see Killer Freaks an Monday?

HylianTom

Banned
He is probably drunk leave him alone.

Anyone else gonna watch konami's conference just to see if they fool around and show something WiiU worthy?
I'm going to watch just because it's something E3-related, and I'm aching for that "YES! We're finally here!" feeling.

This has been one of the biggest video gaming-related waits I've ever undergone, so I'm ready already..

antonz

I'm going to watch just because it's something E3-related, and I'm aching for that "YES! We're finally here!" feeling.

This has been one of the biggest video gaming-related waits I've ever undergone, so I'm ready already..

Exactly tonight is more or less the start of E3 with the reveals on Spike and Konami even if there is a lull before the big stuff next week

The pictures from inside the convention center in the signage thread are doing that for me.

ibcEQwpRRnz0RB.gif

I'm getting hyped.

HylianTom

Banned
Exactly tonight is more or less the start of E3 with the reveals on Spike and Konami even if there is a lull before the big stuff next week
Yup! You know we're essentially here when more and more topics begin popping-up, when the others begin spoiling their own conferences, when decorations/ads are hung around the convention center, etc.

I hear this event called "gamers' Christmas" from time to time. Well.. I consider this brief window in time "Gamers' Christmas Eve."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom