• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

I'm having way too much fun playing this game! I'm about to "join the deliberations" in Chapter 3. I think I'm nearing the end. Although I know I will immediately replay the game choosing the other path once I'm done with this first playthrough.
Joining the deliberations is the end game, so make sure you got the side quests out of the way.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Bought this for PC. I already had the 360 version and played that until Ch 3, just at the beginning of it. Went wih Roche's, will do the same this time and then go Iorveth. Still, I have questions regarding a performance issue...

My PC has a 3770k, 16GB of Ram, and a 670GTX OC Windforce... game runs like a dream at 1080p, Ultra settings and Ubersampling disabled. I don't mind not getting the 60fps..... I mean, I got this for PC to avoid long loading times and fully enjoy the amazing graphics, so I am fine with it... but I am getting some nasty stuttering in cut scenes and in duels (those QTE fights). Is this expected for the specs or is something wrong?

Bought this for PC. I already had the 360 version and played that until Ch 3, just at the beginning of it. Went wih Roche's, will do the same this time and then go Iorveth. Still, I have questions regarding a performance issue...

My PC has a 3770k, 16GB of Ram, and a 670GTX OC Windforce... game runs like a dream at 1080p, Ultra settings and Ubersampling disabled. I don't mind not getting the 60fps..... I mean, I got this for PC to avoid long loading times and fully enjoy the amazing graphics, so I am fine with it... but I am getting some nasty stuttering in cut scenes and in duels (those QTE fights). Is this expected for the specs or is something wrong?

Have you been monitoring your framerate with fraps or something similar? Does it report frame rate drops? There are some noticeable motion stutter with this game that happens independently of the framerate. The only suggestion I have is to maybe try windowed mode. I combine that with a borderless window utility and it minimizes stuttering for me but not for everyone.

but I am getting some nasty stuttering in cut scenes and in duels (those QTE fights). Is this expected for the specs or is something wrong?
It might be the switch to Cinematic Depth of Field in those instances. Try disabling that and see if it helps. I think it's a bit overdone anyways.

Will try this. Any major graphical impact?

During cutscenes and those brawls the game uses a more drastic and demanding implementation of Depth of Field. I believe if you disable that, you will still get the standard gameplay DoF in those situations but not the special cinematic DoF.

I'm about t restart this. I got past the Kayran when it first came out, but found combat lacking and never ended up finishing it.

Should I be putting my points into Alchemy until Impregnation, beefing up my mutagens?

BadAss2961

I've got a weird problem with this game. It completely shuts down my PC when I attempt to run the story. It can happen anytime between Geralt running through the woods shirtless and when he's shown in the prison. The whole PC just shuts down... It's especially odd because both the tutorial and arena mode run fine without this problem.

My other games run fine. I also google'd this problem and it's clearly a known issue with Witcher 2 (both AMD and Nvidia rigs), but no fix. For the PC to shut down like this, i'm guessing there must be some sort of issue with this game just overloading the GPU or power supply of certain setups.

If I don't get any ideas, i'll just forget about it and check again when I upgrade my hardware sometime down the road.

O.DOGG

I've been playing this game for the past couple of days and... why the hell is the combat in this game so clunky? Does it get better eventually? I die every second encounter, no fun at all.

Dresden

I've been playing this game for the past couple of days and... why the hell is the combat in this game so clunky? Does it get better eventually? I die every second encounter, no fun at all.

Don't stand in place trading blows, hit, roll, run.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Well crap...

Game won't pass from the Launcher. I click Play and it stays at it... like a loop. Windowed does nothing. =/

The trick early on is figuring out how long you can stay in a crowd before you have to back out. If you hit a few times, roll backward, then roll back in towards the most isolated person you'll be more effective. There's an unlisted combo system that dishes out bigger attacks the more blows you land without getting hit.

It does get much easier to survive fights though. Some of the skills seem like they should have been basic abilities rather than upgrades. It actually starts getting a bit too easy at normal and hard difficulties once you pick up a lot of skills.

Combat is definitely something they can improve on in the next game because it does have some chunkiness to it that still hasn't been completely worked out. It was even harder at launch when every enemy attack interrupted you and you couldn't block if your stamina was empty.

Walk through of a level someone made with the REDKit beta.

edit: and youtube link was predictably taken down being a closed beta and all.

RedSwirl

Where the hell does the game tell you that Saskia is
the daughter of Three Jackdaws from The Limits of Possibility? I don't even remember the part about Myrgtabrakke giving birth.

I just bought the original Witcher 2 second hand. Apparently the patch for the enhanced edition is over 10gb. The problem is that my monthly download limit is 10gb. So what are my options?

You know, that is an excellent question.

You might get a better answer if you asked on the CDPR forums. I'm not sure what all of your options would be, in this case, but I bet someone over there could point you in the right direction.

As it stands, it doesn't sound like you're in a great position for help. I'm hoping you can get it worked out, though, because it's a wonderful game, and you be able should play it!

You know, that is an excellent question.

You might get a better answer if you asked on the CDPR forums. I'm not sure what all of your options would be, in this case, but I bet someone over there could point you in the right direction.

As it stands, it doesn't sound like you're in a great position for help. I'm hoping you can get it worked out, though, because it's a wonderful game, and you be able should play it!

Thanks, there was a similar thread on the official witcher 2 forums and turns out there is a way to manually bypass the launcher.

So how much am i missing without the enhanced edition update?

EasyMode

Is there some trick to enabling Anisotropic Filtering without using Ubersampling? It doesn't make any difference if I force 16x in the control panel or Nvidia Inspector...

FerranMG

I started the game yesterday.

Played very little, but:
- I feel overwhelmed by the controls and options.
The tutorial tossed at me a thousand mechanics in less than 5 minutes. At some point, it said "you won't be able to use this technique in the real game until you unlock this ability". But we will show it to you RIGHT NOW.

- I feel overwhelmed by the little tiny bit of the story I could grasp.
I don't know what's going on, I don't know who the king is, nor what he wants, or why he was about to be assassinated, or was he? I have no fucking clue what I'm reading anymore.

Also, they let me choose the dialogues, but why in the hell am I let to choose them when I don't know the answer of any of the questions the NPCs make me? Grrr.

Any tips on what I should take into account when playing this (at least at the beginning), dos and don'ts, etc?

I started the game yesterday.

Played very little, but:
- I feel overwhelmed by the controls and options.
The tutorial tossed at me a thousand mechanics in less than 5 minutes. At some point, it said "you won't be able to use this technique in the real game until you unlock this ability". But we will show it to you RIGHT NOW.

- I feel overwhelmed by the little tiny bit of the story I could grasp.
I don't know what's going on, I don't know who the king is, nor what he wants, or why he was about to be assassinated, or was he? I have no fucking clue what I'm reading anymore.

Also, they let me choose the dialogues, but why in the hell am I let to choose them when I don't know the answer of any of the questions the NPCs make me? Grrr.

Any tips on what I should take into account when playing this (at least at the beginning), dos and don'ts, etc?

Read this:

The game tells the story of Geralt of Rivia, who at the opening of the game is tasked to cure the daughter of King Foltest of a curse which causes her to transform into a feral monster. Geralt successfully cures her, introducing the player to the nature of witcher-work. A period of years mysteriously passes, ending with Geralt being transported to the witcher stronghold of Kaer Morhen by fellow witchers who had discovered him unconscious in a field. Geralt remembers almost nothing of his life before returning to Kaer Morhen.

The story begins with a large cutscene. It shows how Foltest, king of Temeria, hires Geralt to cure his daughter Adda from a curse in return for a night with her. Geralt captures the traitor who cast the curse and uses him as bait to attract the striga (the monster Adda turns into). A battle ensues and Geralt scares the striga away with magic. Geralt then goes into the sarcophagus where she sleeps and shuts her out. The next morning, he finds her as a human.

The prologue begins, where Geralt is found by his fellow witchers. At the end of the witcher series Geralt was killed, but somehow he was revived, but now has amnesia. He is taken to Kaer Morhen, the base of the witchers, where he meets a sorceress named Triss Merigold. The castle is attacked by a gang of bandits named Salamandra, led by a criminal known as the Professor, a mage named Savolla who controls a large, praying mantis like monster, and another mage named Azar Javed.The witchers and the sorceress manage to slay the monster, kill Savolla, but the Professor and Azar manage to escape with the mutagens that genetically alter the witchers.

After curing Triss of the wounds she received while fighting Javed and then romancing her, Geralt and the rest of the witchers head off in different directions in order to find information on Salamandra. Geralt heads south to Vizima, capital of Temeria and where king Foltest reigns. He goes to the outskirts, where he meets a powerful child and an old friend, Shani, whom he does not remember. He finds out that Vizima is in quarantine. But, by doing favors to some important officials, either saving or condemning a witch, uncovering a conspiracy between Salamandra and those officials, either sparing or slaying most of the town, and killing a giant ghost-like hound, he gets a pass and prepares to enter Vizima just to be arrested.

He awakes in a jail where he volunteers to kill a cockatrice in the sewers in exchange for his freedom. In the sewers he meets a knight of a monster-slaying order, the Order of the Flaming Rose, names Siegfried, who not only helps him kill the monster but also directs him to a private eye who can help Geralt defeat Salamandra. Geralt spends the rest of part II chasing Salamandra (with a small interruption of a party that Shani throws with Geralt's old friend Dandelion, which ends with Geralt possibly having sex with Shani). He investigates a murder, which leads him to believe that a mage is leading Salamandra. He opens an ancient tower (which the private eye instructed him to do), just to find some ancient texts. When he goes outside, he finds out that the private eye is actually Azar Javed, the mage, who knocks Geralt unconscious and takes the texts.

Geralt awakes in the personal chamber of Triss Merigold, in the rich quarter of Vizima. She has sex with him, wanting to 'examine his internal injuries. The rest of the chapter is spent uncovering the bases Salamandra has in Vizima, but also learning about a conflict between the Order of the Flaming Rose and the Squirrels, a gang of guerrilla freedom-fighting elves, dwarves, and other non-humans. He also begins uncovering another conspiracy concerning the royal seal. During a party of high-standing officials, Geralt meets Adda, who offers to have sex with him. Either if he accepts or declines, he not only finds letters in her chamber connecting her to Salamandra, but she either also hints it or his medallion shakes, which means that he is in the presence of an enemy.

Geralt finally attacks the base of Salamandra. He takes with him either Siegfried or a squirrel leader. He clears the base and then calls in either knights or elves, depending on who he brought with him, to fight Javed and the Professor. Javed separates Geralt and the allies, but Geralt presses on and duels the Professor. He wounds him, and just when he is about to kill the criminal a giant spider-like monster drops in and kills the Professor. Geralt causes a cave in, crushing the spider and its offspring, and then escapes. Outside, he finds himself surrounded by royal guards and Adda, who wants to shut him up.

However, Triss teleports him out of the situation and into a distant village. There, Geralt negotiates between the village and an aquatic city. At the end however, a battle begins between the Order and the Squirrels. The player can be neutral, help the knights, or the non-humans. When the battle is over Geralt, and Dandelion, who somehow appeared there with him, sail back to Vizima.

There, civil war has broken out. The Squirrels have caused a non-human uprising and the Order of the Flaming Rose wishes to end it. Depending on which side Geralt took in the previous battle, he can either be neutral and help the wounded get to hospitals with Shani, or help the knights or the elves in the battle. However, the Grand Master of the Order betrays the king, proving that he is the leader of Salamandra. He also curse Adda from a relapse of the striga curse, after which she marries a foreign king and forges an alliance between the kingdoms. The king tells Geralt to kill the Grand Master, and then Geralt can instruct the king what to do with the rebellion. Depending on which side Geralt took in the first battle, he can convince the king that the Order can still be loyal, convince him that the Squirrels are right, or convince him that they are both enemies. Then, again depending on which side Geralt took in the first battle, Geralt then either takes Siegried (Order), an elven leader (Squirrel), or Triss Merigol (neutral) on the hunt for the Grand Master. If he takes the Order path, on the journey to kill the Grand Master he fights and kills the elven leader. If he takes the Squirrel path, he does the same to Siegfried. With the neutral path, he meets both and he can either spare or kill them.

Fighting through some genetically altered knights of the Order (which the Grand Master made using the mutagens), going through the sewers and fighting a large monster, he and his partner near the Grand Master's home. There, Siegfried or the elven leader are wounded and Geralt goes alone, or he using a ruse to ditch Triss. Whichever the case, he goes in. Inside, the Grand Master explains to him his plan, of how the prophecies said that the world would eventually be consumed in ice and the only way for humanity to escape that is to go south, and how the Grand Master only stole the mutagens so he could make superhuman bodyguards to protect humanity on their journey. When Geralt does not believe him, the Grand Master casts an illusion and the witcher finds himself in a icy wasteland. He hunts the Grand Master, running into several ape-like monsters that are in fact what humans will evolve into when the ice comes, and summoning with his mind the allies that helped him throughout the adventure. At the end, he kills the Grand Master and escapes the illusion.

Back in the real world, in the ending cut scene, the king pays Geralt and the witcher walks away. But suddenly an assassin attacks the king. Geralt duels the assassin and kills him. When he pulls off the mask, he discovers that the man has vertical pupils, just like the witchers, setting the stage for The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings

Ezio

Just re-downloaded this off of steam yesterday. Haven't played through the EE yet. But I did a play through when it first came out. Going to do Rouche's path this time. Man this game looks so good, almost forgot how good it looks.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just jumped back into this and I'm about done with Foltsam. I'm liking it well enough even if the quest waypoints are horrible and some quests don't tell you what to do at all.

Any way to see total playtime on the 360?

How long until I get more armor/weapons? I bought one coat upgrade but Foltsam doesn't have a lot.

After giving this game about 3 hours worth of game time, I have to say that pretty visuals and impressive set pieces are so far not enough to save it from being an unresponsive, buggy mess. The combat is just bleh. There seems to be no effective way to fight multiple opponents at once which is immensely frustrating.

Pretty disappointed so far.

After giving this game about 3 hours worth of game time, I have to say that pretty visuals and impressive set pieces are so far not enough to save it from being an unresponsive, buggy mess. The combat is just bleh. There seems to be no effective way to fight multiple opponents at once which is immensely frustrating.

Pretty disappointed so far.

I've never felt this way about the combat. I actual enjoy it quite a bit actually, but I've seen enough complaints to know plenty of people share your opinion to some extent. I never found it to be particularly buggy or unresponsive, though.

If you're looking for tips:

The most effective way to fight groups is to dodge incoming attacks with the roll move, position yourself in way to isolate an enemy and get a few quick attacks in and keep moving, using roll liberally. You can always abuse Quen, which gives you some room for error. Bombs are very powerful. Also, early game is more difficult because you don't have access to much of your combat abilities that you unlock as you level.

I've never felt this way about the combat. I actual enjoy it quite a bit actually, but I've seen enough complaints to know plenty of people share your opinion to some extent. I never found it to be particularly buggy or unresponsive, though.

If you're looking for tips:

The most effective way to fight groups is to dodge incoming attacks with the roll move, position yourself in way to isolate an enemy and get a few quick attacks in and keep moving, using roll liberally. You can always abuse Quen, which gives you some room for error. Bombs are very powerful. Also, early game is more difficult because you don't have access to much of your combat abilities that you unlock as you level.

Yeah nah, sorry. I have to agree with those others you mentioned. It's just terrible. I understand how your strategy would work but having to dodge all over the place like some sort of epileptic frog seems like it would get to the point of immersion breaking absurdity eventually. It doesn't help that the Archers seem to have aimbot active either.

I'll give the game another shot later when I'm not as tired but so far, it's struggling to keep my attention.

Dresden

I didn't dig the combat all that much, but it does enforce some nice rules that you must adhere to--mainly, you can't just wade in and expect to survive. Stay on the periphery, whittling away each target.

Or just spam bombs, your choice.

Yeah nah, sorry. I have to agree with those others you mentioned. It's just terrible. I understand how your strategy would work but having to dodge all over the place like some sort of epileptic frog seems like it would get to the point of immersion breaking absurdity eventually. It doesn't help that the Archers seem to have aimbot active either.

I'll give the game another shot later when I'm not as tired but so far, it's struggling to keep my attention.

Ok, just trying to help.

Sounds to me like you're making excuses for not adapting to the gameplay.

Complistic

Adapting to what? Clunky combat mechanics that are terribly designed? Nobody should have to adapt to a game for reasons like that.

It looks odd at first, but it's actually quite a bit of fun once you understand how to fight.

If you just stand in place and think geralt should be able to withstand all those blows you're not going to get anywhere. It's anything but clunky.

Top Bottom