• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

They've released a few screenshots of the work done by modders, they look glorious(and better than the TW3 screens we've seen):

EeaACvPh.jpg

timZKn9h.jpg

Ms9mO4Ch.jpg

SY5Vaewh.jpg

0Znbps0h.jpg

Damn, I cannot wait for the flood of mods when RedKit is officially launched. I'd like to make my last Witcher 2 playthrough before Witcher 3 comes out to be modded up nicely.

54-46!

I just finished the first game yesterday, gonna start playing TW2 today.

I was wondering; how good is the combat? is it worth playing on harder difficulties? is there dexterity based depth that doesn't revolve around dice rolls?

Minsc

Gold Member
I just finished the first game yesterday, gonna start playing TW2 today.

I was wondering; how good is the combat? is it worth playing on harder difficulties? is there dexterity based depth that doesn't revolve around dice rolls?

It's kinda like the first game, the combat is generally pretty easy except for a few fights that can be a grind to get by initially. There's just a bit more rolling around between attacks in TW2 where TW1 you could click through most battles.

54-46!

Some of my impressions after finishing the first chapter;

- Combat is a mixed bag, one minute I'm enjoying the flow of moving around enemies and picking them off one by one and the next I'm frustrated by Geralt's seemingly random strike patterns or unresponsive controls; "I'm pressing Aard.. I'M PRESSING AARD".

- Quest design feels very natural, the monster contracts have an actual purpose and aren't just "collect X amount of Y from Z".

- QTE and cinematic events are a bore, fist fights should've been similar to normal combat.

- Storytelling is really good, a lot better than the first game, the characters are more believable and the world is very dense with stuff going on.

- Visuals are amazing, be it technical or otherwise. I especially like the armor and clothing in this game.

Also, the bridge troll is hilarious.

B4D1E

I need your advice! I'm wondering if I should buy this on XBL Games on Demand or at retail. The advantage of GoD is I can play whenever I want without leaving my couch (I know lazy gamer complaint :D ). I hesitate because of the Quest booklet and the map provided with the retail version. Is it really that helpful?

phaze

I need your advice! I'm wondering if I should buy this on XBL Games on Demand or at retail. The advantage of GoD is I can play whenever I want without leaving my couch (I know lazy gamer complaint :D ). I hesitate because of the Quest booklet and the map provided with the retail version. Is it really that helpful?

They aren't anything that you won't find on the net so I'd say go for GoD.

B4D1E

They aren't anything that you won't find on the net so I'd say go for GoD.
Thank you for your answer!
Anyway I wasn't able to find the edition with the booklet, the map and the making-of disc. I tought enhanced edition were provided with those by default.

fader

This game has everything I like.... GDLK music, GDLK graphics GDLK environment.... except.... This combat is sooo bad.... am i doing something wrong? Is there something I need to do? I feel like Im playing Dark souls on extreme mode... Every time I enter combat, I die at least three times to that mob. I literally feel like I have no control over my character.
Is there a secret to this combat or something? cause im feeling like i made a bad investment after hearing everyone brag about how good this game was...

EDIT: F#%&this game... I died and had to do a whole part over.... Im done.. This game is ass......

This game has everything I like.... GDLK music, GDLK graphics GDLK environment.... except.... This combat is sooo bad.... am i doing something wrong? Is there something I need to do? I feel like Im playing Dark souls on extreme mode... Every time I enter combat, I die at least three times to that mob. I literally feel like I have no control over my character.
Is there a secret to this combat or something? cause im feeling like i made a bad investment after hearing everyone brag about how good this game was...

EDIT: F#%&this game... I died and had to do a whole part over.... Im done.. This game is ass......

point.gif

Seems you made your decision. I had no problems with combat whatsoever. It's actually quite easy when you figure out you need to roll and use signs (and mutagens to some extent).
In the end, not your kind of game, maybe? No shame in that.Cheers!

fader

point.gif

Seems you made your decision. I had no problems with combat whatsoever. It's actually quite easy when you figure out you need to roll and use signs (and mutagens to some extent).
In the end, not your kind of game, maybe? No shame in that.Cheers!

ok. i was a little angry when i posted the EDIT. Im going to try the game again now that im calmer lol. do you have anymore tips before i indulge in this game?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
ok. i was a little angry when i posted the EDIT. Im going to try the game again now that im calmer lol. do you have anymore tips before i indulge in this game?

The "trick" is that you don't actually have to use WASD to move Geralt around in combat. Just point and click and he will manuver to whatever your aiming at on his own. Combat flows a lot better once you figure this out.

Also roll. Roll a lot. Always roll. Roll. Roll. Rooooolllllll.

Early on the most important thing is to not get hit. This includes not blocking if possible. Not only for defense but for offense too. The more sword strikes you do without getting hit the bigger moves you'll do. The bigger moves are gonna feel like you have less control, but they also tend to hit multiple people for crowd control.

So don't overstay your welcome in a group. Roll in, hit someone a few times, when the groups starts to close in roll back out and look for the next weakest link in the group to fight next.

When possible don't use signs or block. The more stamina you have, the more damage your sword does. You might wanna cast Quen for insurance occasionally, but try not to cast any other signs besides that.

By mid to late act 1 you should have enough levels that combat becomes a lot easier except for some boss fights or groups situations that back you into confined areas.

phaze

When possible don't use signs or block. The more stamina you have, the more damage your sword does. You might wanna cast Quen for insurance occasionally, but try not to cast any other signs besides that.

Haha really ? I finished the game 3 times and didn't know that.
KuGsj.gif

Haha really ? I finished the game 3 times and didn't know that.
KuGsj.gif
Yeah, I don't know where I first learned that cause they should have emphasized it more, but you can see the damage reduction in the combat log if you have it visible. It's a pretty huge difference too.

Dibbz

Just finished it. Fuck that dragon. Nearly every youtube vid I watched of it had the guy just run to the side to avoid his fire but he fucking locks onto you and shit in my game. Finally done it though by doing heavy attack, roll instead of light attacks. Still his fire was shit and almost killed me even with Quen on.

I was a bit stunned I finished it since it really didn't feel like I'd been playing it for that long. Maybe a couple of weekend or something. Steam says I played 30 hours but take maybe and hour or two off that because I got stuck fighting over and over in a couple of places.

Is there a new game plus? I want to go back and try different choices to see if it varies much.

Is there a new game plus? I want to go back and try different choices to see if it varies much.
Unfortunately no, you have to start from scratch again.

But it does vary greatly with different choices. Act 2 is completely different(characters/quests/location) depending on who you travel there with, and half of Act 3 is different too before converging with the main plot again at the end.

I just picked this up on 360. Barely played it, but I like what I see so far! Other than the fact that it looks kind of shitty... Combat and dialogue are good. Story seems very interesting. But yeah, not looking so good.

I installed to the HD as the game recommended, which I never do on 360 because my HD space is very limited (had to delete a bunch of shit). I feel like the game is still playing from the disc. Is there a way to tell? I thought when you went to start the game from the dash it would say "play from hard drive" or something. Is that not the case?

The 360 is making more noise than I would think if the disc wasn't spinning. Also, it asked me to change discs after the tutorial (I had disc 2 in). WTF? Finally, texture loading sucks. Textures often pop in a second into a cut scene. Also clothes, weapons, and objects will sometimes pop in after a brief moment. Not a game killer but it sort of kills the moment a bit.

I read about how awesome this looks on the 360 (for a 360 game) but it kind of looks like ass (even for a 360 game).

Old Lace

Does anyone have a link to save games from the first game? I've been looking, but the only links I've found are dead.

Edit: I found 'em.

So just started this...put my first two talent points in Hardiness under training and now reading online...people are saying it's useless.

Any tips for the character build for a newcomer?

So I managed to get through Witcher 1 despite the game's insistence on crashing every goddamn hour only to find the Witcher 2 is even worse for it.

The game simply closes after an hour or so of gameplay(I can't imagine it's hardware trouble since I've been playing Max Payne 3 with no issues). There's no error message or anything either, and I've yet to see a single goddamn solution anywhere on the net.

On top of that, I attempted to disable Steam Cloud for the game and the result is that it now no longer recognizes my saves. No matter what folder I place them in, the game apparently has little interest in even displaying the save files in-game, let alone loading them.

Has anyone ever successfully gotten a refund from Steam? I'm gonna leave this until the GOG.com version goes on sale.

So I managed to get through Witcher 1 despite the game's insistence on crashing every goddamn hour only to find the Witcher 2 is even worse for it.

The game simply closes after an hour or so of gameplay(I can't imagine it's hardware trouble since I've been playing Max Payne 3 with no issues). There's no error message or anything either, and I've yet to see a single goddamn solution anywhere on the net.

On top of that, I attempted to disable Steam Cloud for the game and the result is that it now no longer recognizes my saves. No matter what folder I place them in, the game apparently has little interest in even displaying the save files in-game, let alone loading them.

Has anyone ever successfully gotten a refund from Steam? I'm gonna leave this until the GOG.com version goes on sale.

You get a free GoG version with your steam copy. I don't know the full process.

Iirc, you just have to copy & paste the CD Key from Steam into a field in your GOG.com account page.

Woah, did not know this. However, I've been trying to find where I need to go on gog.com and the link keep giving seems broken. According to what I've read, I need to go to gog.com/en/witcher2/backup. Evidently, this doesn't work.

If anyone has any idea what to do here I'd really appreciate it, before I get into a spat with Steam support.

Maybe they ended the offer. If they did, it was very recently. I believe it was supposed to end a long time ago but they just kept it up. I remember people redeeming it not long ago.

Maybe they ended the offer. If they did, it was very recently. I believe it was supposed to end a long time ago but they just kept it up. I remember people redeeming it not long ago.

Found it! So I've got the game unlocked on my GOG account now, mad props to CDPR for offering that. I'm looking at the install files and there seems to be 12 1GB files there. I'm guessing I just download the lot? Not familiar with GOG.

There's a convoluted way to completely disable Steam cloud saves once you turned them on. I had to do it myself. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2470784

The problem is that when you turn cloud saves back off, if there are still files on their cloud server, it won't look in the offline "My Documents/Witcher 2" folder. So you gotta trick it into a file conflict to be able to delete the files on their server.

I actually tried this and ended up making a blunder by using the clear content command and then missing a step, the result somehow being that my cloud folder now only seems to consist of 0kb files and evidently couldn't be arsed to take any more files. Whatever, I'll stick with GOG for this. It's certainly put me off Steam Cloud, though.

Found it! So I've got the game unlocked on my GOG account now, mad props to CDPR for offering that. I'm looking at the install files and there seems to be 12 1GB files there. I'm guessing I just download the lot? Not familiar with GOG.

I think there's a 1 15gb download which is the game installer, and the rest are the extras (art, comic, map etc) which are totally worth it, and some language stuff. You can cancel that last one.

malfcn

Question: I did the tutorial and it gave me a skill point. Was that just for the tut? Or would it carry over into the game if I didn't restart a new play through?

kakashi08

I'm about to start this game tomorrow. Should I play it with the 360 controller or mouse/keyboard?
I play my FPS games with mouse/keyboard, and Skyrim with the controller.

What do you play it with and what do you recommend?

Complistic

I'm about to start this game tomorrow. Should I play it with the 360 controller or mouse/keyboard?
I play my FPS games with mouse/keyboard, and Skyrim with the controller.

Whichever you're more comfortable with. The only advantage the kb/m has is that you can navigate the menu's easier.

I've played through Chapter 1 a couple times with both types of input, and I have to (much to my own chagrin) say the controller is superior. Combat is much easier, and there's not all that much menu-navigation anyway.

malfcn

I prefer
Roche as a character but I prefer Iorveth's
path. I feel like
Iorveth's path fills in bigger gaps
but I really suggest eventually playing both.

I thought the interrogation in the prologue was strange. Roche, who I interacted with didn't know me at all..and I was the one that had lost my memories?

WilyRook

mind if I ask a quick book question? Someone gave me a copy of Blood of Elves and on the spine of it it says "The Witcher 1". I thought The Last Wish was the first book. Can I read Blood of Elves first? Does it matter?

mind if I ask a quick book question? Someone gave me a copy of Blood of Elves and on the spine of it it says "The Witcher 1". I thought The Last Wish was the first book. Can I read Blood of Elves first? Does it matter?
Blood of Elves is the first book of a 5 book series. Last Wish and Sword of Destiny are short story collections that take place before Blood of Elves. Sword of Destiny hasn't been translated yet to English officially.

It would probably help to at least read The Last Wish first though since there are some things set up for Blood of Elves. It's kinda a big time jump from Last Wish to Blood of Elves, but I imagine it's a bit easier to follow than on its own.

WilyRook

Blood of Elves is the first book of a 5 book series. Last Wish and Sword of Destiny are short story collections that take place before Blood of Elves. Sword of Destiny hasn't been translated yet to English officially.

It would probably help to at least read The Last Wish first though since there are some things set up for Blood of Elves. It's kinda a big time jump from Last Wish to Blood of Elves, but I imagine it's a bit easier to follow than on its own.

ok, I'll get Last Wish then, appreciate it

Juravsky

I finally got a PC that will be able to run the game, so I wanted to ask a question. Do you think I should play it with or without the combat balance mod?

Top Bottom