• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Adapting to what? Clunky combat mechanics that are terribly designed? Nobody should have to adapt to a game for reasons like that.

How is it terribly designed? Felix gave you a bunch of tips for managing combat, if you choose to ignore them that isn't bad design, that's you being a scrub.

cj_iwakura

I need haalp. :(

Just got a new laptop that I pray can run this better than my desktop, and this happens:

mGKmbj6.png

Any ideas?

FACE

Banned
They're going to give a fucking Witcher sword to whomever makes what they consider to be the best content with the RedKit Beta.

404932_122221357956773_2133637780_n.jpg

Pakkidis

Just beat the game a second time, this time choosing iorveth, which IMO is the better choice for a first time playthrough and not a second.

It is just amazing how the game gives you different option to complete quests and the ramificaitons of you choices seem to change the outcome of the story in a significant way. Choosing between Roche and iorveth is like playing a different game all together. It is very refreshing to see that in a RPG which is how it should be with EVERY rpg. Choices matter.

However the choices are not black and white, the game is about putting you in a situation and you simply choose what you feel is the best outcome. Now compare that to a game like Mass Effect where your presented with 2 choices,Good or Bad, makes it feel like an amateur hour compared to Witcher 2. Their were more meaningful choices that impacted gameplay and how the story played out than all 3 mas effect games combined.

In terms of builds, magic/igni build seems to be the most overpowerd/optimal build. Did my dark playthrough with this and tore everything to pieces.

After I beat game, I went back and did Roche's path again and things made a lot more sense.

Arguably my favorite if not top 5 RPG's this generation .

QP3

I have a bunch of money for the Mac App store and have meant to get to this game.

Anyone played the Mac version? How is it?

This has me very interested in going back to the game for Iorveth's path. I didn't feel particularly confused, but if there really is some added depth to the story if you have that side of it, I'd really like to see it.

It's an odd choice to structure it that way, though. The game has you tentatively aligned with Roche before you make the choice. They try to use Zoltan to make choosing Iorveth more attractive, which was tempting to me because I loved the character in the first game, but I think most people who skipped the first game would be kind of confused as to why they'd ever choose Iorveth for a first playthrough.

There are answers to questions you didn't even know to ask. Absolutely, play both paths.

Hey all - just bought this on Games on Demand. I played an hour or two of the first game a few years ago, but never really got into. Am I missing a lot if I don't play through the first game before starting Witcher 2? Or are the games fairly stand alone?

cj_iwakura

Hey all - just bought this on Games on Demand. I played an hour or two of the first game a few years ago, but never really got into. Am I missing a lot if I don't play through the first game before starting Witcher 2? Or are the games fairly stand alone?

What the above poster said, but W1 is fantastic, so play that first.

cj_iwakura

I can't figure out how to end the Kayran fight.

All four tentacles are down, but I can't find where to climb up. Is it a glitch or something?

phaze

^
There should be a QTE where Kayran does a wide sweep with a tentacle, Geralt grabs it and makes it destroy a bridge.Then just climb the part of the bridge on the left.

cj_iwakura

^
There should be a QTE where Kayran does a wide sweep with a tentacle, Geralt grabs it and makes it destroy a bridge.Then just climb the part of the bridge on the left.

Sadly, I figured that out.

But I can't end it. The part where you have to mash left click never works. Geralt just gets thrown off.

Hi all, I've got a quick question about the Xbox 360 Games on Demand version of The Witcher 2.

Is the entire game 7 GB (like it says on the marketplace), or are there additional files to download (like in the case of Max Payne 3)?

I ask because I was under the impression that the boxed version came on 2 discs, and I was wondering how they overcame that issue with the digital version.

Blinck

Hey guys, I need your help!
So I reinstalled the Witcher 2 yesterday on Steam.

At first the game was not launching. I've read some things online and applied the official hotfix which resolved this issue.
However I can't seem to change the graphics options correctly. Whichever preset I use all the settings go to Low. If I change them manually and run the game the graphics are still on their lowest setting.
Then I tried to set the preset to "ultra" and run the game even if all the options appeared disabled and so forth. This time the game did run with good graphics, but still quite a few things seemed to be missing like V-Sync and AA.

I'm not sure what's going on, the launcher just seems absolutely fucked.. Could it be because of the hotfix?

Minsc

Gold Member
Hey guys, I need your help!
So I reinstalled the Witcher 2 yesterday on Steam.

At first the game was not launching. I've read some things online and applied the official hotfix which resolved this issue.
However I can't seem to change the graphics options correctly. Whichever preset I use all the settings go to Low. If I change them manually and run the game the graphics are still on their lowest setting.
Then I tried to set the preset to "ultra" and run the game even if all the options appeared disabled and so forth. This time the game did run with good graphics, but still quite a few things seemed to be missing like V-Sync and AA.

I'm not sure what's going on, the launcher just seems absolutely fucked.. Could it be because of the hotfix?

Not really sure myself, but for your V-Sync troubles, D3DOverrider works great with The Witcher 2, I'd use that... then you'd be good to go minus the AA it sounds like. Maybe you could just edit the user.ini configuration file yourself to enable it, then set it to read-only so the settings aren't overwritten if the game is doing something weird? Maybe you could re-install without the hotfix again, back to when it wasn't running and try a different approach, there's probably a few things to test (running as admin / lowering UAC / checking firewall permissions, etc).

How can this game be so incredible? This game has the most satisfying story in any game since.. I don't know.

How did they achieve this? why is only this game? Why does so many other fantasy games have atrocious writing and lame villains.

Blinck

Not really sure myself, but for your V-Sync troubles, D3DOverrider works great with The Witcher 2, I'd use that... then you'd be good to go minus the AA it sounds like. Maybe you could just edit the user.ini configuration file yourself to enable it, then set it to read-only so the settings aren't overwritten if the game is doing something weird? Maybe you could re-install without the hotfix again, back to when it wasn't running and try a different approach, there's probably a few things to test (running as admin / lowering UAC / checking firewall permissions, etc).

Thank you for answering! I will try those things once I get home and I'll give an update !
Really want to play the game now that I have a PC that can handle it!
Cheers!

Blinck

So I tried re-installing (this time running Steam as admin so that I didn't need to use the hotfix) and also changing the .cfg, but still have the same problem.
I also tried D3D to apply v-sync on the game but to no avail.

This is how my game looks whenever I try a custom setting, it seems like the textures just don't load.

configuratorbugTW2_2.jpg

I think I'm just not meant to play this game properly :p
On my previous ATI GPU I couldn't play the game because there was a constant terrible stutter (even with good FPS), now this happens!

Minsc

Gold Member
That's some bad luck! It's always worked great on my 5870. Looks different from the screens of if you have AA enabled in your CCC (which causes errors with TW2 so don't do that), but I'm guessing you tried setting all the AF/AA/Adaptive AA to application controlled and/or off? AF really should work forced to 16xAF though, leave that at 16x if you can.

I see it being suggested you might have the MipMap detail setting to Performance instead of Quality (should be always on Quality), if you can't find it, you may have to search for how to edit it manually, it may be hidden, or download the RadeonPro and see if that lets you fix it (it's like nhancer for ATI cards).

Also make sure you don't put Texture Downscaling to high in the Witcher 2 config tool... that one you want off or the equivalent as you don't want the textures downscaled.

Other than that, I don't have much else! Hope you get it straightened out.

Blinck

That's some bad luck! It's always worked great on my 5870. Looks different from the screens of if you have AA enabled in your CCC (which causes errors with TW2 so don't do that), but I'm guessing you tried setting all the AF/AA/Adaptive AA to application controlled and/or off? AF really should work forced to 16xAF though, leave that at 16x if you can.

I see it being suggested you might have the MipMap detail setting to Performance instead of Quality (should be always on Quality), if you can't find it, you may have to search for how to edit it manually, it may be hidden, or download the RadeonPro and see if that lets you fix it (it's like nhancer for ATI cards).

Also make sure you don't put Texture Downscaling to high in the Witcher 2 config tool... that one you want off or the equivalent as you don't want the textures downscaled.

Other than that, I don't have much else! Hope you get it straightened out.

Hey Minsc! First of all, thank you so much for taking your time to try to help me out, it's really appreciated!
Right now I'm running the game on an Nvidia card ( GTX 670 ). I did run the game on an ATI card before but I had quite a bit of stuttering so I saved the game for when I got an upgrade.
The settings on my Nvidia panel seem to be ok, so I don't think it's that.
I really think it's some sort of bug with the configuration. I was able to force V-sync through the nvidia panel ( didn't work with D3D for some reason), so it's playable now if I just choose the Ultra preset and don't try to change any setting manually (which will make the game look like the screenshot above). I would still like to be able to mess with some of the settings like AO and the blur, but this will do for now! I've opened a thread on the official forums and hopefully the developers will take note!

Thank you very much once again!
Cheers

Ryaaan14

Banned
I can't get the damn Launcher in Steam to run the game. I've Googled the problem and tried every solution and NO LUCK.

I really wanted to play this game too. Fuck. :'_(

Sullichin

Can someone please tell me the best setup for an HD7870/i52500k with this game. I'm getting stuttering no matter what. I installed the stutter fix and it didn't do anything. I also looked in the PC performance thread already.

EDIT: using RadeonPro and setting "Flip Queue Size" to 1 seemed to fix it mostly. Now I can finally enjoy the game instead of re launching it every 30 seconds.

Is there a good "getting started" guide or something for this game? I know I'm LTTP but I just started this today and I'm kind of confused about basic game mechanics. Off the top of my head, I just levelled up and I see a + sign that I assume means I can skill some stuff up but I have no idea how to get into a menu to do it or anything.

Various other stuff too, so if anyone has a useful guide or something that would be helpful.

Is there a good "getting started" guide or something for this game? I know I'm LTTP but I just started this today and I'm kind of confused about basic game mechanics. Off the top of my head, I just levelled up and I see a + sign that I assume means I can skill some stuff up but I have no idea how to get into a menu to do it or anything.

Various other stuff too, so if anyone has a useful guide or something that would be helpful.

This! I need help.

phaze

This! I need help.

To level up you need to meditate, if you're on PC press CTRL and press the button in the middle. (You must be in area with no enemies) At first you'll be able to develop skills from the upper tree.

2bprtj3.png

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/t...article/the_witcher_2_a_beginner_s_guide.html

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/witcher-2/Signs

I'm not sure whether they nerfed it since the last time I played it but Quen was always the win button. Use it.

To level up you need to meditate, if you're on PC press CTRL and press the button in the middle. (You must be in area with no enemies) At first you'll be able to develop skills from the upper tree.

Does the game ever tell you stuff like this? I can't even find a way to get into a menu where it shows all of the keybindings so that I could have figured this out. And with combat, they kind of just throw you into it with no explanation of anything. Like how on earth is anyone supposed to just magically know to press, of all buttons, Ctrl when they level up?

phaze

Does the game ever tell you stuff like this? I can't even find a way to get into a menu where it shows all of the keybindings so that I could have figured this out. And with combat, they kind of just throw you into it with no explanation of anything. Like how on earth is anyone supposed to just magically know to press, of all buttons, Ctrl when they level up?

Well there is an instruction. :p

Besides that in your Journal (under"J" ) there are tutorials available, I think they also show up for 3 secs during siege. : P

Sullichin

Last I played this I was stuck at the Letho boss fight in the first chapter. Still don't have a good grasp of what my different powers do. I know that I've been using the electric shield one a lot but it doesn't seem to help me on this boss.

Last I played this I was stuck at the Letho boss fight in the first chapter. Still don't have a good grasp of what my different powers do. I know that I've been using the electric shield one a lot but it doesn't seem to help me on this boss.

The easiest way to beat him is to use bombs and quen.

I'm barely into chapter 1, and I just purchased a Crafting Diagram: Hardened Leather and I have all the ingredients but when I press Ctrl and go into the Alchemy screen, it's not listed as one of the options for things I can create. I don't see a level requirement or anything so I'm not sure what the probelm is. Anyone know?

I'm barely into chapter 1, and I just purchased a Crafting Diagram: Hardened Leather and I have all the ingredients but when I press Ctrl and go into the Alchemy screen, it's not listed as one of the options for things I can create. I don't see a level requirement or anything so I'm not sure what the probelm is. Anyone know?
Gotta take it to a shopkeeper to get it crafted. Geralt can't craft, he can only do alchemy.

Thank you kind sir. Not sure if I have the means to make bombs but I will try that out

I made a few bombs immediately when I got to Flotsam, almost the first thing. So yea, you can. I'm still not even out of Flotsam yet.

Thanks to the previous poster for the tip about craftsmen. There's so many things in the game that aren't explained and that you're expected to just magically figure out that I went ahead and bought the strategy guide. /sigh

Himself

Just got to the first town in chapter 1 and a few side quests opened up so I explored those without touching the main objective in town. Problem is I keep getting my ass handed to me whenever i pursue one. Do i suck, or is the game telling me its too early to be going after these things?

Some are pretty difficult, most notably The Endrega Contract. Do all the minigame sidequesta first (dice, fist fighting, arm wrestling), and get through the Loredo quest fully stealthed for a nice piece of armor. This should let you get a few upgrades

Himself

Some are pretty difficult, most notably The Endrega Contract. Do all the minigame sidequesta first (dice, fist fighting, arm wrestling), and get through the Loredo quest fully stealthed for a nice piece of armor. This should let you get a few upgrades

Yeah I guess i'll just hit up some main quest for a while before going to get swarmed in that cave again.

Don't forget to get your silver sword.

That is one I did manage to do.

Izick

Is there any reason not to give away the book in the "A Tome Truly Rare" quest? I know it doesn't give you any money/exp. on the 360 version, but keeping it doesn't really add anything does it?

Top Bottom