• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 file size is 50GB minimum on PS4/XBO

I always found it interesting that both systems have such close install sizes. I say this, because every time a major AAA title comes out, we get the head to head and hear that one is lacking effects, resolution or bells and whistles of the other. Are games this generation closer to PC in that the the developers simply load everything onto the disc and disable those more power graphical options, leaving the core game intact?

I wonder if we'll ever find out about that, or someone figures out how to access said menu if it is it there :)

What takes space is textures, videos and audio files. Most comparisons show that both consoles use identical textures (and it doesn't really make any sense to cut down on video quality/audio quality as both are more than competent there).

What the lowered resolution in rendering or certain effects effectively do is reduce the load of calculations that the GPU needs to do. So basically both use the same texture but one console applies it to 10 bushels of grass and the other only does 7 - you still need to have the texture available. Same for filtering, effects, etc.

How trustworthy is GOG's downloader for such gigantic files? I pre-ordered in a fit of hype the moment the pre-orders went live, but I never thought about that. I don't think I've ever bought anything over 5GB or so from GOG, and I'd hate to lose 25GB+ if it craps out halfway through.

erawsd

I cant speak for any recent releases but Witcher 2 on GOG is around 20ish gigs and its broken up in parts, instead of being one giant file.

Think they had backup on the patch notes of a recent PS4 firmware update before they later removed that bit, so hopefully that is a sign we can back them up in a future update. Do not look forward to redownloading all my games when the time to upgrade from the stock drive comes.

Most likely not, all their systems so far have only supported a single, completely encrypted storage drive.

They should at least let us keep the DLC/Update files backed up to another HDD.

It's inexcusable they make us re-download the games if we upgrade the HDD. For people with bad net/capped internet, that's a nightmare. Esp if its a game I plan on playing later on.

Gonna upgrade my HDD soon before I end up in this mess. Sony have been horrible in regards to getting their Firmware upgrades done.

Nikokuno

Preordered the physical limited edition so I hope most (by most I mean all >.>) of the data are in because I will hate a BF3 empty box scenario with my 200kb/s DL speed connection...

SparkTR

How trustworthy is GOG's downloader for such gigantic files? I pre-ordered in a fit of hype the moment the pre-orders went live, but I never thought about that. I don't think I've ever bought anything over 5GB or so from GOG, and I'd hate to lose 25GB+ if it craps out halfway through.

It's good, better than Steam for me.

I don't install last gen games on my SSDs, but I wont be able to have more than a handful of them installed on them at a time it seems, since one of them I use primarily to load After Effects cache.

Top Bottom