• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 gameplay video - "Precious Cargo"

Hoo-doo

Banned
The combat looks terrible as ever. Yikes.

Making the combat look and feel right should have been a way higher priority than a world the size of jupiter.

Daverid

Just went through Witcher and Witcher 2 for the first time, beating the latter tonight. I'm so in love with the world, characters and story that I ordered all the books that have been released in English on Amazon. A month ago this was a neat looking game that I was somewhat interested in. Now my hype levels are off the fucking charts.

Excellent mate!

This is exactly why people should play the first 2 games, as much as CDPR wants to throw the, "You don't need to play the first 2 games" line around, they are still so well worth playing.
Sure, there'll be some folk who get turned off by the combat in one or both games, but when it clicks, it's a world that you'll just completely fall in love with. It also makes it even more special because you don't play the games and just run out, there's all that rich lore in the books to then go back and discover. It's magical.

Ceravic

Excellent mate!

This is exactly why people should play the first 2 games, as much as CDPR wants to throw the, "You don't need to play the first 2 games" line around, they are still so well worth playing.
Sure, there'll be some folk who get turned off by the combat in one or both games, but when it clicks, it's a world that you'll just completely fall in love with. It also makes it even more special because you don't play the games and just run out, there's all that rich lore in the books to then go back and discover. It's magical.

I really disliked the combat of Witcher 1 but everything else was good enough to keep me going and by the end I was really glad I played it. Witcher 2 was a treat on all fronts and I actually really liked the combat as well as everything else. Hope my books get delivered soon!

thuGG_pl

Making the combat look and feel right should have been a way higher priority than a world the size of jupiter.

Maybe for you.
Looks ok to me. I'm glad it's pretty arcade instead of souls tedious style.

Daverid

I really disliked the combat of Witcher 1 but everything else was good enough to keep me going and by the end I was really glad I played it. Witcher 2 was a treat on all fronts and I actually really liked the combat as well as everything else. Hope my books get delivered soon!

I had a very similar experience in terms of how I felt about the games, except that I played 2 before 1.

If you ever end up replaying Witcher 1 (And you definitely should once you gain all that book knowledge, there's so many neat little nods/references), I would recommend giving the Full Combat Rebalance mod a try, it really helped make the combat feel more tactical, intense, potions mattered a lot more and I was shocked at how much it actually made me enjoy TW1's combat.
Then if you replay 2 as well (Same deal), stick with Vanilla but grab the pirouette mod. The standard roll the game has can feel pretty clunky sometimes, and the Pirouette both feels and looks so much nicer. It's crazy how just that one little change makes the combat flow so much smoother, and it doesn't skew the balance or make any kind of massive changes to the combat in general.

Enjoy the books! Hopefully you can get 'em and read through a fair chunk, or all of them, before TW3 comes.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Maybe for you.
Looks ok to me. I'm glad it's pretty arcade instead of souls tedious style.

Arcade would mean it's quick to react with fast, short moves and immediate precision.

This just looks like the same janky combat TW2 had. Press button for a ridiculous flourishing move locked into a slide forward. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
Where's the button for a simple slash, or a backstep + thrust, or quick hits that don't take away control for an exaggerated animation for no reason.
The hit reactions look just as bad. It looks like interpretive dance with both combatants just jerkily sliding around the battlefield.

Horp

Arcade would mean it's quick to react with fast, short moves and immediate precision.

This just looks like the same janky combat TW2 had. Press button for a ridiculous flourishing move locked into a slide forward. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
Where's the button for a simple slash, or a backstep + thrust, or quick hits that don't take away control for an exaggerated animation for no reason.
The hit reactions look just as bad. It looks like interpretive dance with both combatants just jerkily sliding around the battlefield.

I'm extremely hyped for this game but I have to agree with this. I think Bloodborne shows that Souls combat doesn't have to be slower and heavier. I would have loved combat similar to Bloodborne in W3. This looks just as bad as W2, as you said. In fact, I think it might even look a bit worse.

thuGG_pl

As I said looks ok to me. It's fast and dancy.
Also how the hell do you know everything about it looking at some videos? How do you know how the combat evolves when leveling up? Because you are unlocking moves while you progress.
I don't treat this game as some kind of medieval combat simulator. I loved Morrowind despite it's god awful combat. So yeah, people expecting souls and bloodborne should just play these if combat for them is most important.

Actually I'm super happy that it's not souls combat, I wouldn't bare it. So yeah, thanks CDP.

Don't forget that "Sword of Destiny", the second book chronologically, is coming out on May 20th too. It really should be read in-between "The Last Wish" and "Blood of Elves".

Hoo-doo

Banned
As I said looks ok to me. It's fast and dancy.
Also how the hell do you know everything about it looking at some videos? How do you know how the combat evolves when leveling up? Because you are unlocking moves while you progress.
I don't treat this game as some kind of medieval combat simulator. I loved Morrowind despite it's god awful combat. So yeah, people expecting souls and bloodborne should just play these if combat for them is most important.

Actually I'm super happy that it's not souls combat, I wouldn't bare it. So yeah, thanks CDP.

I'm glad it's enough for you.
Thing is, for me personally, i'm not slogging through a dozens-of-hours RPG if the combat is bland and soulless. Especially not for a two-bit storyline that's delivered through stilted NPC interactions.
It's why I couldn't go past the first few hours of TW2.
On the other hand, I played 30+ hours and finished Dragon's Dogma solely because of the fantastic combat. Loved every minute of it. Combat felt rewarding, interactive, varied and engaging. The boss fights were great and something to look forward to.

So while I understand this is a personal thing, but i'm really disappointed that they didn't seem to pour much love into the gameplay side of things.
I really want to get into the Witcher games, but it's a shame CDPR seem to have their priorities aligned different to mine.

I couldn't complete TW2 because of the combat, felt more lika a dance routine simulator with some story and fantastic locations/atmosphere.

Still hoping they've improved the combat just enough for me to bare with it. The rest of the game looks fantastic!

axb2013

Nice trailer. That's how you make side quests interesting or at the very least bearable, by putting some weight behind the quest itself, little deeper than "fetch this" fillers.

1358 can't get here soon enough.

thuGG_pl

I'm glad it's enough for you.
Thing is, for me personally, i'm not slogging through a dozens-of-hours RPG if the combat is bland and soulless. Especially not for a two-bit storyline that's delivered through stilted NPC interactions.
It's why I couldn't go past the first few hours of TW2.
On the other hand, I played 30+ hours and finished Dragon's Dogma solely because of the fantastic combat. Loved every minute of it. Combat felt rewarding, interactive, varied and engaging. The boss fights were great and something to look forward to.

So while I understand this is a personal thing, but i'm really disappointed that they didn't seem to pour much love into the gameplay side of things.
I really want to get into the Witcher games, but it's a shame CDPR seem to have their priorities aligned different to mine.

So it's not a game for you then, sorry.

SaberEdge

The Souls comparisons make me cringe. Transplanting something that works piecemeal is sort of underselling why it works to begin with. The Witcher's combat, being specifically designed for the game, ought to serve it far better.

Well said. I really like the Souls games, but I'm getting sick of the over-the-top hyperbolic worship of those games. They're good, but they're definitely not perfect. It's ridiculous the way some diehard Souls fans go around shitting on every other game and acting like the only possible way for these games to be good is if they adopt the mechanics from the Souls games.

I don't agree. I like what I'm seeing of the combat of The Witcher 3 and I think it's more fitting for the game and what we know about Geralt and his fighting style.

A few people keep saying things like "it doesn't look weighty or visceral like the Souls games"..."it doesn't look responsive"..."the hit responses suck" --and I'm left scratching my head and wondering if they're watching the same game as I am.

The Witcher 3's combat looks very responsive and visceral to my eyes. And the hit responses actually look more precise, realistic and better animated. Enemies in Bloodborne, for example, kind of just slide around as if they were on ice skates when they get hit. It's arcadey and poorly animated. I appreciate how the enemies in The Witcher 3 get knocked back and actually stagger unsteadily backwards on their feet with nicely animated movements.
aeyNdff.jpg
ypEZ41X.jpg

96c1LsA.jpg

KBQ2iiw.jpg

MjqqQVH.jpg

Daverid

Not feeling those dialogs. It's like watchdogs ye olde edition.
Yep... the writing and voice acting seems pretty shitty.

Guess there's no accounting for taste. I couldn't disagree more.

There's a lot more depth to that quest then I think a lot of people are realizing. Something that I immediately picked up on due to my extensive knowledge of The Witcher, but presumably something that even newcomers will understand better once they experience the opening sections of the game and learn more about the world and its current state.

GERALT!!!
How can you possibly collaborate with the Nilfgardians?!
He is helping Emperor Emhyr , the (major book spoiler)
biological father of Ciri
That's why Emhyr says "She's returned Geralt, after all these years [...] I shall give her what she deserves"

Tovarisc

But CDP are like the European Valve, seeing as they own GoG

Pretty funny how companies what own distribution platforms for other devs and publishers make the best games

Valve still makes games? o_O

I thought they had retired from that business to develop VP prototypes and engines for VR/Linux while pushing Steam without customer support.

Fonds

That wind effect needs to be toned down badly.

Trees and bushes that sway in the wind do just that, they sway. This is just twitching.

Nabbis

Lol, sure it does.

The lighting is excellent. High precision high dynamic range image based lighting with physically based materials is about as good as it gets right now.

I don`t care even if it`s using voxel. I still find it very poor looking and not up to my taste at all. Could be an artistic choice, but i found AC:Unity light sources far better. Hell, i like GTA V more even though its technically inferior.

Haven't seen a minute of gameplay outside of gifs on this page and thinking about purchasing this blind without spoiling a thing. Never played a game in the series but was a Lo ways interested. If I like games like DAI, Skyrim, and other similar looking games I guess it's safe to say I'll probably enjoy this?

Well said. I really like the Souls games, but I'm getting sick of the over-the-top hyperbolic worship of those games. They're good, but they're definitely not perfect. It's ridiculous the way some diehard Souls fans go around shitting on every other game and acting like the only possible way for these games to be good is if they adopt the mechanics from the Souls games.

I don't agree. I like what I'm seeing of the combat of The Witcher 3 and I think it's more fitting for the game and what we know about Geralt and his fighting style.

A few people keep saying things like "it doesn't look weighty or visceral like the Souls games"..."it doesn't look responsive"..."the hit responses suck" --and I'm left scratching my head and wondering if they're watching the same game as I am.

The Witcher 3's combat looks very responsive and visceral to my eyes. And the hit responses actually look more precise, realistic and better animated. Enemies in Bloodborne, for example, kind of just slide around as if they were on ice skates when they get hit. It's arcadey and poorly animated. I appreciate how the enemies in The Witcher 3 get knocked back and actually stagger unsteadily backwards on their feet with nicely animated movements.

Your post is nonsense...For one you are ignoring how every weapon as different move sets, weight , momentum in BB, and souls compared to the witcher. You also cannot get a feel for the combat via gifs. There is nothing more responsive or visceral about the witchers combat, if you played both you would know as good as the witcher is, it does not come close to the Souls/BB combat engine.

There is also numerous flat out lies in your post, enemies in Souls do not just slide as if they were on skates at all...they dodge, jump block the same as you do.

Enemies in souls get knocked back, and stagger too, not sure what point you are making there. There is no comparison, to say there is is simply silliness.

erawsd

I'm extremely hyped for this game but I have to agree with this. I think Bloodborne shows that Souls combat doesn't have to be slower and heavier. I would have loved combat similar to Bloodborne in W3. This looks just as bad as W2, as you said. In fact, I think it might even look a bit worse.

Im glad they didnt go anywhere near Souls combat. Im personally kinda sick of it and the last thing I want is for it to become this gen's version of "free flow". I also dont agree that this looks worst than TW2s combat. It actually looks quite decent. In fact, it sounds like theyve corrected everything people cited as wrong with TW2, while also adding a lot more depth. Just about everyone whose played it seems to agree that it is responsive and flows well. Obviously, I wont know for certain without getting my own hands on it but it does seem to have potential.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Why is the notion that the combat has been improved heavily to be WAY more responsive according to everyone who played the game being ignored in this thread?

Biggest complaint I have with huge RPGs are the battlesystems. If this is just serviceable I won't be able to play it for a 50 hours. I hated Skyrim so much and I stopped playing TW1 and 2 at 50 % of the main story.

TW3 looks better, I'll wait and see. That's why Souls/Bloodborne games are so awesome, IMHO.

You mean the way you and the rest of the extremist Souls fans are bashing The Witcher 3 in this thread? Sigh...
I like the witcher as much as souls, and I never once bashed it, but to say witchers combat is more precise or even as good as from software is laughable. It is not in the same league.

The witcher is fantastic though overall, can you show where I bashed it? If I did I apologize, because this might be my goty.

Man I was really hoping this would be the game that would turn me around on an Open world WRPG, but maybe that is a genre just not meant for me. I find a lot of the videos and quests they have shown so far to be time consuming and kinda pointless, with a lot horse back riding towards a way point in between. It looks so good though, and the combat looks promising as well.

Agreed completely, and your GIFs do a perfect job of proving that imo.

I'm genuinely surprised to see so many people say they're unimpressed with the combat. I think it looks great. Geralt floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee, lol. It looks light and floaty, yet hard-hitting and visceral. And the dodging, timing of hits, and use of magic give it an extra layer of depth.

erawsd

I like the witcher as much as souls, and I never once bashed it, but to say witchers combat is more precise or even as good as from software is laughable. It is not in the same league.

The witcher is fantastic though overall, can you show where I bashed it? If I did I apologize, because this might be my goty.

No one here has played TW3, so how can we know? As you said, you cant get a good feel for a games combat by just looking at it. Personally, I dont think they are at all comparable.

Tovarisc

Your post is nonsense...For one you are ignoring how every weapon as different move sets, weight , momentum in BB, and souls compared to the witcher. You also cannot get a feel for the combat via gifs. There is nothing more responsive or visceral about the witchers combat, if you played both you would know as good as the witcher is, it does not come close to the Souls/BB combat engine.

There is also numerous flat out lies in your post, enemies in Souls do not just slide as if they were on skates at all...they dodge, jump block the same as you do.

Enemies in souls get knocked back, and stagger too, not sure what point you are making there. There is no comparison, to say there is is simply silliness.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say that judging BB combat through videos/gifs isn't fair or accurate as it doesn't represent whole combat, but same time judge Witcher 3's combat through videos/gifs.

Or are you comparing BB combat to Witcher 1 and 2? If you are then you have some merit as those games are out. Same time we need to acknowledge that Witcher 3 isn't out, combat has been reworked for it and we haven't played it.

All we have seen in short segments of combat through several videos. Enough to get some impressions, but not even closely enough to get full picture about how combat is in Witcher 3.

Also he didn't lie about sliding and skating around when being hit, but he maybe cherrypick most extreme cases and didn't have ones where enemies use dodges and such. As they do dodge and shit in BB.

Ushay

Looks great to me, I guess its the kind of game you need to play physically to appreciate. To each their own.

patapuf

Haven't seen a minute of gameplay outside of gifs on this page and thinking about purchasing this blind without spoiling a thing. Never played a game in the series but was a Lo ways interested. If I like games like DAI, Skyrim, and other similar looking games I guess it's safe to say I'll probably enjoy this?

I'd say so.

No one here has played TW3, so how can we know? As you said, you cant get a good feel for a games combat by just looking at it. Personally, I dont think they are at all comparable.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say that judging BB combat through videos/gifs isn't fair or accurate as it doesn't represent whole combat, but same time judge Witcher 3's combat through videos/gifs.

Or are you comparing BB combat to Witcher 1 and 2? If you are then you have some merit as those games are out. Same time we need to acknowledge that Witcher 3 isn't out, combat has been reworked for it and we haven't played it.

All we have seen in short segments of combat through several videos. Enough to get some impressions, but not even closely enough to get full picture about how combat is in Witcher 3.

Also he didn't lie about sliding and skating around when being hit, but he maybe cherrypick most extreme cases and didn't have ones where enemies use dodges and such. As they do dodge and shit in BB.
You are right and make good points, we should wait to judge it.

I just hate it when people cherry pick stuff in games and make generalizations based on that. You can do that with any game, including the witcher, which is known to have its share of jank despite being awesome

boskee

I guess hiring pro-gamers to help design the combat system and hours of play testing spent on it makes it "low priority" in your book. Mmkay.

Jesus wept, there are so many hyperboles in this thread. People saying that the voice acting, animations and combat are "abysmal" etc. without explaining what exactly is wrong with those elements. I guess they were never taught how to support their opinions.

Hammer24

Banned
The witcher 2 had bad combat, you'll find few people who disagree with that.

I disagree.
It might not have been the best combat in any WRPG, but it wasn´t bad at all.
Even if someone disliked it, there was still an amazing story, great set pieces and other stuff to get into and enjoy.
I personally would hate it if they´d go the Souls direction of combat. Wouldn´t fit to the universe at all. This is no fighting game, its still an WRPG.

Man, why are people fighting over Bloodborne vs W3 combat? Different aims for different games. Doesn't have to be a superior system; plus, the characters are written differently, and this factors in.

Why don't we all just join hands and have a sing-along? I'll get the beers.

Top Bottom