• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt -- 16 free DLCs for everyone!

Asbear

Banned
Nice little PR stunt. I still love CDPR though. They're keeping it free even though it might as well've been on-disc and available from the get-go, where other companies would've asked for 2-5 bucks a piece.

injurai

Banned
Makes you wonder if these items were DLC in the first place.
ytg2pzc86umk.png

tsk tsk

You should know by now that once the core game is finalized done, the art teams keep working. DLC is composed of previously cut content, or new content hadn't been thought up for the final cut.

zonezeus

Seriously, what's with the cynics? It's pretty obvious it's merely a gesture, but a very welcome and needed one nonetheless.

jelly

Bravo, the way it should be done. The original game is the long term revenue as it should be and will likely retain it's value longer because of such a perk.

So, that excuse from publishers, Valve included and Microsoft that they had to charge something on consoles, what happened to that, how have CDP got round it, paying for their own bandwidth or because they actually can?

OmegaDL50

Technically, it is downloadable content, though.

You know what I meant.

Shall we call Diablo III's UEE patch 2.0 update, DLC as well because because it happens to add "content" to the game that you need to "download"

CDPR are great devs with their DRM-free games and their online game store GoG which promotes this as well, but lets not act like CDPR isn't trying to make some kind PR statement and jab other developers at the same time with this thing.

I'd rather they take the high road and do what have done in the past and added the content and improvements much like they did with the updates to The Witcher 1 and 2, which wasn't any different as it added content to the game without charging a price to the players, and of course without the thinly veiled PR mudslinging to other devs who charge a price for content after a games release.

CD Projekt Red is better than this.

dex3108

Free or not this also could be case of cutting game content and releasing it after game is published. It is still better than paid content.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You know what I meant.

Shall we call Diablo III's UEE patch 2.0 update, DLC as well because because it happens to add "content" to the game that you need to "download"

CDPR are great devs with their DRM-free games and their online game store GoG which promotes this as well, but lets not act like CDPR isn't trying to make some kind PR statement and jab other developers at the same time with this thing.

I'd rather they take the high road and do what have done in the past and added the content and improvements much like they did with the updates to The Witcher 1 and 2, which wasn't any different as it added content to the game without charging a price to the players, and of course without the thinly veiled PR mudslinging to other devs who charge a price for content after a games release.

"Thinly veiled" implies it was intended to be veiled at all. I think most people see exactly what they are doing - poking fun at lame industry trends.

I also don't doubt we'll get a Director's Cut/Enhanced Edition type update a while after release. This doesn't take the place of that.

JayEH

Is CD project real? Or are they an imaginary developer that we're all dreaming of together?

Showing the industry how's it done consistently. They'll get my pre order.

Nibel

tsk tsk

You should know by now that once the core game is finalized done, the art teams keep working. DLC is composed of previously cut content, or new content hadn't been thought up for the final cut.

It was tongue-in-cheek. Love CDPR.

Kudos to CDPR for doing this and being transparent about it. Activision in particular could learn a thing or two on how to properly communicate and provide DLC to loyal players.

Already pre-ordered this game and I rarely do it this far in advance, it's my most anticipated of next year by far!!

Edit: I'm not saying Activision should give away its DLC for games like Destiny or COD, however they should be priced accordingly for the content. That's all

Denton

Oh god this is such a beautiful trollish FUCK YOU to all the companies using season passes and other assorted DLC bullshit...

I love CDP :)

xion4360

man they do great stuff.. I remember being impressed with Witcher 2 on 360.. looked like a CE but was the regular game.

Seanspeed

Banned
In a way, that's better. It means there's nothing substantial being cut from the game for resale as DLC. We're getting a complete product as-is.
Most DLC isn't cut content, despite what people love to believe. There might be stuff that is planned or even in production stages at time of release, but in the large majority of cases, the DLC you see is not stuff that was completed and then just left out.

I'm glad to have some extra little content updates for free here, but I'm also very happy to money for more substantial content updates, too.

Its hard to shake the feeling that they're just putting in a fairly small amount of effort and then trying to make it sound like they're being the super awesome good guys. Whatever works, though. I wont begrudge an independent developer mincing words to curry favour.

Lol, it's pretty obvious this is just them trolling other companies and eliciting praise from clueless people. If 2 pieces of DLC are going to come out every week after the game releases then they could have just put them in the game in the first place.

Z3M0G

Sneaky PR...

Games have been releasing with dozens of free little download items on the digital stores for ever... this is nothing new or different. Just a clever PR spin.

erawsd

You know what I meant.

No, because UEE wasn't just adding a few bits of content to the game, there were re-balancing, bug, and glitch stomping included. All of that warrants a patch revision. No body is going to bump up their game version to include armor, that is pretty much exactly what separates "DLC" from a proper patch, it is entirely optional.

Also, lets not re-write history. CDPR has always done this same type of "mudslinging" and PR work that portrays them as a gamer's best friend. I'm fine with it too, I'm glad someone in the industry isnt afraid to be honest about some of the greedy BS that others are up to.

system11

So they're just content patches right?

I guess calling it free DLC gives them better publicity.

Either way this definitely a good thing.

I suspect they're actually going to be unlock codes - we'll know soon enough I suppose.

Still better than paying for them, but not as good as releasing in-game unlock codes over a series of weeks instead of treating it like actual DLC.

giadartis

Banned
I never played any of the witcher games (I know LTTP, only have so much time.) Anyway this is great! They just set the bar high for all the other studios/developers.

Jinaar

Why do people question CDPR here? This is DLC.

What is DLC? Down Loadable Content.

Is CDPR allowing you to download new content after the game releases? Yes.

In the definition of DLC, does it strictly state all DLC requires some sort of payment? No.

So CDPR is allowing it's customers to download content after the release of the game for no extra cost. Looks fine to me.

Why do people question CDPR here? This is DLC.

What is DLC? Down Loadable Content.

Is CDPR allowing you to download new content after the game releases? Yes.

In the definition of DLC, does it strictly state all DLC requires some sort of payment? No.

So CDPR is allowing it's customers to download content after the release of the game for no extra cost. Looks fine to me.

Because new armor skins are barely "content".

Bl@de

Good statement. I'm thinking to make an exception and buy this game on GOG so they get the full benefit of the 50€. Great publisher/developer.

Top Bottom