• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt -- 16 free DLCs for everyone!

Xamdou

This is a great way to sell the game at full price at launch rather than pc gamers waiting for the yearly steam sale.

Seriously, the whole "we are gamers" thing is obviously enough just their business model with which they generate trust and a fan following
and of course make money
. It's just that this I can really get behind ...

Go, CDPR, go!

krizzx

Why couldn't this just be naturally put into the game? Whatever happened to the days of games being shipped complete with extra content?

Iastfan112

Neo Member
Why couldn't this just be naturally put into the game? Whatever happened to the days of games being shipped complete with extra content?

Some of it probably won't be ready for release(or at least not certification with MS and Sony). A cynic would say it is to deter used games right off the bat.

Jac_Solar

That's awesome.

But, if, like some are suggesting, that this is a publicity stunt, and the content was already in the game, and it was taken out to help advertise the game, I don't really think that's a big deal; it's a minor inconvenience for the players, and the developers get to advertise their game. Most importantly, it establishes a standard for this game, and hopefully others -- small content and mechanic additions shouldn't cost anything, which, ideally, would prevent the padding of DLC and expansions with these minor additions to make it seem worth it in general.

Other companies do this all the time, but they charge for it.

injurai

Banned
Have you even read my post? Where did I say they're an awful company for offering free (and probably meaningless but that's beside the point) DLC for their customers? In a world where the word DLC alone has a negative association, they try (and apparently succeed) to adept to these situations. Look at what they're having us do, great PR. Exactly what I said in my post. I also said they didn't do this because they're nice folks, maybe they are nice as persons, but this is PR for their already very positive image. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, a lot of current devs can learn from that, it's just naive to believe otherwise.

You called people naive for thinking they could do this out of their own good will and good hearts. You called bullshit on that claim. Essentially robbing CDPR from being call it what it is, good will. I indeed saw what you read, it was more me questioning what seemed to be implied by how you framed it. If i'm spot on with your claim then I still disagree, otherwise there is a questionable implication in there.

This is indeed a good marketing strategy from CDPR. They might just include these "DLC" into the core game and never mentioned them at all.

misho8723

Banned
I don't get it - why are people complaining even in this situation?.. if this would be a new or unknown company, than maybe yes, you could accuse them that they have taken things from the main game and then released the remaining stuff as a PR thing, but this is CD Projekt RED people..

They have a history of releasing stuff for free.. what company gives you 10 GB of new stuff/fixes for free just like that if you already bought the game when it first came out (in this case the Enhanced Edition of both Witcher 1 and 2) or all DLCs for free? Gives you many bonus stuff even if you buy the normal version of the game? Witcher 3 is going to be DRM free (well, there is going to be Steam).. everyone is going to be treated they same way, etc..
They removed the DRM which was in Witcher 2 in like 2 weeks after release and for that action they even got to the court..
And yes, this is a PR thing.. but are people so naive that they thing that any company in the business is going to give them anything for free just because of their good intentions?

Show me such a company in any bussiness sector .. they need to making money, then don't exist and live from air.. when a company is going to establish their image on that they are nice to people who buy thier stuff, what's there to hate? Win-win situation for everyone. don't you agree?

Link1110

I like the idea of free dlc. I have no interest in this game, but they're offering this as free dlc. Most game makers would make it an update and shove a long ass load time down your throat next time you want to play, but these guys are giving an option. I wish more devs would do that

Man, with how negative some people are being over free content I wonder if CDPR would cave into the vocal minority and start charging $5 for each piece of DLC just to make them feel better and less confused.

Maybe I am misinterpreting this, but this gesture of good will appears to also have the goal of curbing used game sales. I am sure there is likely some code with each purchase that enables a free season pass like thing which all of this dlc will be included.

I have no problem with that but, I know some people don't like having to buy new for all content. And it could be argued some content was set aside, complete even, just to encourage new game purchases.

Unai

Maybe I am misinterpreting this, but this gesture of good will appears to also have the goal of curbing used game sales. I am sure there is likely some code with each purchase that enables a free season pass like thing which all of this dlc will be included.

I have no problem with that but, I know some people don't like having to buy new for all content. And it could be argued some content was set aside, complete even, just to encourage new game purchases.

How?

Raonak

Banned
Seriously? Out of everything shown about TW3, some cosmetic stuff and a few trivial side missions are now what makes it a "must get" game to you?

... Yeah. It's not the content of the DLC that matters to me, but the intention behind it.
I love the message the devs are sending with this. Same thing with Killzone Shadowfall, I bought it because of their free DLC maps. I like supporting good trends :)

I wouldn't take it personally, W3 looks cool, but I've never played any previous witcher game, and it's in a crowded release period where Bloodborne and The Order were must buys for me.

Top Bottom