• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt -- 16 free DLCs for everyone!

I cannot beleive people are trying to spin this into a negative.

Here is a developer with a proven record for releasing DLC for free in the past, saying they plan on continuing that and people find a problem with that. Jesus, people will bitch about anything it seems.

Sentenza

Of course... They've been saying this since 2013 E3. If the content is large enough in size to be worth charging, they will charge.
They've been saying this since TW2 pre-release, actually.
Except "big expansions" never materialized in that case.

injurai

Banned
I cannot beleive people are trying to spin this into a negative.

Here is a developer with a proven record for releasing DLC for free in the past, saying they plan on continuing that and people find a problem with that. Jesus, people will bitch about anything it seems.

CDPR is framing in relation to how other publishers market DLC. The difference is CDPR is putting it out there for free like they always do. But somehow because of the wording it's riling up old scars that people have from DLC content.

Really shows how malingering publishers are when it typically comes to DLC.

wow, armor and skins, this is what the gaming world was looking out for.

hey its free.

why make such a big deal out of it. its just some small pieces of junk. if it were some story-dlc, my jaw would have dropped but in this case....

One of the four announced is gameplay DLC. There's still 12 pieces of content yet to be revealed.

As I posted on the previous page, CDPR giving substantial content away is not new. I could understand the cynicism if this were EA, Ubi or Activision but fucking hell... some of the shit posted in here makes me think we deserve to be rinsed by their likes.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
the game doesn't come out for 3 months, don't tell me their 16 DLC armors and weapons or whatever could not just be part of the game in the first place. Can't believe people are just licking this up.

This is just a tactic to make people to hold onto their from reselling it that's all

Others have tried and failed miserably

Prototype 2 and Darksider II
They say you'll get free content every week or few weeks, it's just so you don't trade it in to get back money

I'm sorry, if those 16 DLC pieces are just some superfluous shit, they ain't some amazing thing being given out
It's just shit gutted out of the game and put in back as "free" to keep you playing/keeping the game

Sorry for being cynical but it fucking feels like it

myca77

the game doesn't come out for 3 months, don't tell me their 16 DLC armors and weapons or whatever could not just be part of the game in the first place. Can't believe people are just licking this up.

Its going to be feature locked, and pretty much content locked by now. They have about 2 months for a lot of Func QA to squash any bugs that are likely to be present in a big sprawling game. Implement all the localisation that will need at least a month of Loc QA, maybe more for such a big open world RPG if they want to hit a good amount of coverage. And it will probably go in for submission late december early january. So not really 3 months of time left.

zonezeus

This is just a tactic to make people to hold onto their from reselling it that's all

They say you'll get free content every week or few weeks, it's just so you don't trade it in to get back money

I'm sorry, if those 16 DLC pieces are just some superfluous shit, they ain't some amazing thing being given out
It's just shit gutted out of the game and put in back as "free" to keep you playing/keeping the game

Jesus Christ it's DLC not a gun to your head, you can still sell or trade it in whenever you want.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Jesus Christ it's DLC not a gun to your head, you can still sell or trade it in whenever you want.

Then announce this shit closer to the games release where it would matter
Doing so 4 months before release just tastes sour

Yes we will give 16 pieces of cut content you can bust nuts and praise the dev like buffoons beforehand

I'm sorry, but this is just a tactic that these 16 DLC pieces being given out on a staggered release is to make people feel they should hold onto their game for such amazing bonuses

Give me a fucking break

patapuf

Then announce this shit closer to the games release where it would matter
Doing so 4 months before release just tastes sour

Yes we will give 16 pieces of cut content you can bust nuts and praise the dev like buffoons beforehand

I'm sorry, but this is just a tactic that these 16 DLC pieces being given out on a staggered release is to make people feel they should hold onto their game for such amazing bonuses

Give me a fucking break

CD project have given out major content updates for free for all their game so far and they have supported their games for a long time after release. They have also put out their games DRM free even though they are probably most popular in a region were piracy is rapant

Aditionally why would a company that's until very recently been almost entirely PC focused even care about resales?

Are you mad because they advertise that they often give away free stuff?

Guri

Well, there are already side quests announced, not just skins.

3bdelilah

Banned
Their PR is doing an amazing job. But is anyone here really that naive to believe they're doing this out the goodness of their hearts? Bullshit. But that doesn't mean I'm against this, this is a win-win situation. Good for us (though this was probably cut from the game) and good for their publicity, but this won't make me think any more or any less of them.

Those who complained that these stuff should be in game already should understand that these are the unused, unpolished stuff that were put aside and then when the core team is finishing the main game, the artists who usually got their stuff done first will return to these stuff and finish them.

But, can people really whine about anything now? Paid DLCs get trashed, free DLCs get trashed. What the hell else do you want? What?

injurai

Banned
Their PR is doing an amazing job. But is anyone here really that naive to believe they're doing this out the goodness of their hearts? Bullshit. But that doesn't mean I'm against this, this is a win-win situation. Good for us (though this was probably cut from the game) and good for their publicity, but this won't make me think any more or any less of them.

Since when are mutually benefiting courses of action relegated as such? It's a bunch of people who are passionate about their jobs, who have found a way to deliver their creation and operate without being burdened by the need to see massive returns. Surely they perpetuate the goodwill that they have been able to earn. Is that not what we want and what we compliment them for?

patapuf

They should careful not to fall from that high horse of theirs, they might really get hurt considering how high up there they are. :(

I mean, they are vocal about their good policies.

But people act like CPDR haven't been doing exactly what they are preaching for years now.

Is this just console people that don't know how the dev opeartes?

a.wd

I will pretty much buy all of their games blind day 1. I will go out in the street and tell people about this company any chance I get, this is how you treat customers.

And also to the cynics, really?

antonz

This is a great dev having some fun taking shots at industry trends.

Even Witcher 2 which had retailer exclusive items after launch released them for everyone who had the game. Its all about reminding the consumer how things should be versus how they are in most cases

lifa-cobex

They should careful not to fall from that high horse of theirs, they might really get hurt considering how high up there they are. :(

They aren't high up. This is just a normal standard on how to treat consumers/fans. It's a fair way to get around pirating without penalizing everyone else.
CDR obviously remember things.

It's other company's that have fallen from grace.
I really hope it sells tons on pc and company's take notice.

This is the game I am really looking forward to up to now next year and once again the devs prove that they actually care about their consumers again.

I mean, they are vocal about their good policies.

But people act like CPDR haven't been doing exactly what they are preaching for years now.

Is this just console people that don't know how the dev opeartes?

Console gamer here and I am fully aware of how customer friendly they were with the PC version of Witcher 2.

Loving how the detractors are completely ignoring CDPR's previous good will gestures. My guess is they're the same people who couldn't hack the combat of W2 EE and are now getting their own back. ;>

Raonak

Banned
Even though it's probably content that could've been in the game in the first place, this is a nice guesture and has turned the game into a "might get" to "must get"

3bdelilah

Banned
Since when are mutually benefiting courses of action relegated as such? It's a bunch of people who are passionate about their jobs, who have found a way to deliver their creation and operate without being burdened by the need to see massive returns. Surely they perpetuate the goodwill that they have been able to earn. Is that not what we want and what we compliment them for?

Have you even read my post? Where did I say they're an awful company for offering free (and probably meaningless but that's beside the point) DLC for their customers? In a world where the word DLC alone has a negative association, they try (and apparently succeed) to adept to these situations. Look at what they're having us do, great PR. Exactly what I said in my post. I also said they didn't do this because they're nice folks, maybe they are nice as persons, but this is PR for their already very positive image. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, a lot of current devs can learn from that, it's just naive to believe otherwise.

Einbroch

Banned
If it's an additional throw away quest or alternate hairstyles everyone gets, I'm not excited. Of course this isn't a negative, but this doesn't really change my plans to rent this at launch, beat it, and send it back.

Still a nice gesture.

Wasp

This is awesome, although one slightly negative thing is it's likely that none of the DLC will have trophies on PS4 as Sony don't allow free DLC to have trophies.

Even though it's probably content that could've been in the game in the first place, this is a nice guesture and has turned the game into a "might get" to "must get"

Seriously? Out of everything shown about TW3, some cosmetic stuff and a few trivial side missions are now what makes it a "must get" game to you?

POPEGTR

Neo Member
DA:I has free DLC's also but for Multiplayer only.. expect SP to have another 15$ new character DLC's.

Even tho these are not the biggest in content DLC's for W3. It's free. Great games like Sleeping Dogs charge for character skins and extra combo moves few $ ..each!

lifa-cobex

Also note it's a good way to tackle trade-ins without punishing the second hand buyer too much. The reason it's just crap skins and side missions. I love this company.

Top Bottom