• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt -- 16 free DLCs for everyone!

Sakujou

Banned
Horse armour, we have come full circle.

wow, armor and skins, this is what the gaming world was looking out for.

hey its free.

why make such a big deal out of it. its just some small pieces of junk. if it were some story-dlc, my jaw would have dropped but in this case....

Eh, what I find insulting to my intelligence is your notion that if someone doesn't shit on them for this then that means they are "eating it up", implying stupidity on our part.

One can at the same time realize that:

1) This is partly a PR stunt
2) It shines the light on other companies that are charging for the DLC content, offering DLCs and season passes and preorder incentives and other assorted bullshit way before the game is even released
3) The DLC content may or may not be finished in time for launch, we don't know if they could put it into the game on time or not
4) It is smartly designed to convince people to not trade the game in (on consoles)
5) It will keep the game in press/media longer

Yeah I see this mostly as a PR stunt.

They have had a ton of dev time for these cosmetics, and there's no way for us to tell if they purposely removed content from disc to act as DLC or not.

I like Witcher and preordered Witcher 3 two years ago, but calling this a free DLC when it's usually just a patch, this seems like a PR stunt.

Daverid

They are still a business that need to sell their game, so ofcourse they are going to lean on marketing and PR fanfare. With the current state of the industry it is absolutely noteworthy that someone is still trying to sell their product without dicking over their customers.

I guess I should also be insulted that they gave me a 25% discount on Witcher 3 for owning the last two games? How dare they announce that, its all a scam to get you to buy from GoG!

Ultimately I completely agree with you.
However I also completely understand why some people feel the way they do about this whole scenario. I'm not saying you are insulted, or you should feel insulted, I'm just saying that I can see why someone could feel insulted by the scenario.

I would have preferred them find a different solution (like what I described), but they're still opting to give this stuff away for free when other developers out there would have charged for it, and that's great.

Seanspeed

Banned
Eh, what I find insulting to my intelligence is your notion that if someone doesn't shit on them for this then that means they are "eating it up"
Its crazy how black and white some of you need to make everything. I don't feel anybody needs to shit them at all. I'm certainly not.

Denton

Its crazy how black and white some of you need to make everything. I don't feel anybody needs to shit them at all. I'm certainly not.

It is anything but black or white, as I wrote in the rest of the post which you ignored.
It is both a PR stunt, and a good friendly move towards gamers.
Frankly, when one looks at DLC/Price/DRM policies of all the major AAA games coming out, and compares them to CDP and their approach to Witcher 3, CDP is so far ahead in customer friendliness it's not even funny. Actually... it is very sad.

Liamc723

Why not just include all of this in the main game? It's not out for another 4 months, they could easily include it.

Seanspeed

Banned
It is anything but black or white, as I wrote in the rest of the post which you ignored.
Frankly, when one looks at DLC/Price/DRM policies of all the major AAA games coming out, and compares them to CDP and their approach to Witcher 3, CDP is so far ahead in customer friendliness it's not even funny. Actually... it is very sad.
I did not ignore the rest of your post. I don't disagree with most of what you wrote. Which makes it even more apparent you haven't really grasped what I was saying at all.

Staf

I agree. You want to buy a bag of skittles to make you feel better? You'll get elephant armor in Far cry 3 as well!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
universal codes, that have been posted in numerous places online

This is almost like piracy. They want you to buy the shaving gel so you can get additional stuff for Unity. Otherwise this promotion makes no sense.

Lol, it's pretty obvious this is just them trolling other companies and eliciting praise from clueless people. If 2 pieces of DLC are going to come out every week after the game releases then they could have just put them in the game in the first place.

I see it the same way.

My problem with DLC isnt that i have to pay, its it not beeing on the disc. As a collector i want it all on the disc, and not piece´mealed`.

So basically an apology of sorts for the Xbox exclusive items snafu they ended up in?

I think 16 might be enough of a number in order to repair their previous image to the fans and place that nonsense to rest.

We'll see if any of these 16 DLC will be useful though.

Brew124

I won't complain about free things for a game I was already intending to buy! It will be interesting to see what's included with this.

zonezeus

Why not just include all of this in the main game? It's not out for another 4 months, they could easily include it.

I imagine it to work like this: artists are usually done with their work earlier than the rest of the team, so when everyone else is busy coding, animating and smoothing the edges they can continue to produce additional material. Then, by the end of the developement cycle some part of the team is freed up because all that's left to do is beta-testing and opitmization, so the developer can put some manpower into realizing all the concepts the artists came up with during that time. It is not put into the final game because by the time the work on additional content begins the core game is essentially a finished, closed product. That is why most of early DLCs we see is almost exclusively cosmetic stuff. So no, I don't think it's "cut" content, I think it's "we had more important things to do than beards" content.

jkanownik

It's not as sad as you think it is. There are huge investments in continuing operations for many games that are not outwardly visible to consumers but still result in a much better experience. For example: it is very easy for a major online title to spend $1M+ in anti-cheat measures or back end database management alone. The people that do that work are in high demand and very expensive. That could be more than CDP will spend on developing this DLC. You could argue that the behind the scenes work is more consumer friendly because it benefits everyone playing whereas more people probably won't get much value out of DLC like horse armor.

BHK3

Banned
Games not out for another 3 months...why not just make it part of the game? Why is it a separate download?

JJD

This is a great PR strategy. The CDPR guys are really smart.

If those 16 DLCs are absolutely free for everyone, even people who buy the game used then this is not really DLC, it's game content. By saying it is free DLC they are making themselves look like good guys (I'm not saying they aren't) and are getting good word of mouth for their game.

If those DLCs are available day 1 there is no reason for then to be DLC and not vanilla game content if not a PR strategy.

Caja 117

So basically an apology of sorts for the Xbox exclusive items snafu they ended up in?

I think 16 might be enough of a number in order to repair their previous image to the fans and place that nonsense to rest.

We'll see if any of these 16 DLC will be useful though.

I tought that the Xbox exclusive items were paid by MS to be there, at least is nothing ingame as far as I know.

Im guessing some people are upset at this because its content that could be in the disc at launch to begin with, but that is assuming all of that content was finished. anyways, PR stunt or not, is a great move by the Developer, and this is something that is better than the other option.

erawsd

Ultimately I completely agree with you.
However I also completely understand why some people feel the way they do about this whole scenario. I'm not saying you are insulted, or you should feel insulted, I'm just saying that I can see why someone could feel insulted by the scenario.

I would have preferred them find a different solution (like what I described), but they're still opting to give this stuff away for free when other developers out there would have charged for it, and that's great.

Logistically, they arent doing things any different than what you suggested. In either case, that message would have been delivered through marketing fanfare. That is pretty much how consumer facing businesses operate; they have to actively generate attention if they want to remain operational.

I'm sure we'd see all the same reactions too. A lot of CDPR and Valve threads seem to attract people that are "insulted" that others appreciate the way these companies lean toward a more consumer friendly marketing strategy. I'm sure most people understand that this is a PR stunt... but so what? I wish more companies would do the same.

Games not out for another 3 months...why not just make it part of the game? Why is it a separate download?

The fact that we are announcing the DLC before launch does not mean it is ready at this moment in time," he told Polygon. "As you probably know, we are currently focused on polishing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. This means that most of the teams are involved in finalizing development and optimizing the game. However, some of the teams are free to start working on additional content that can be released after we launch the game. This is the case here. DLC will not be present on disc."

This is stuff that was originally intended to be set aside for retailer specific preorders, right?
The quality of the content seems to indicate so, at least.

axb2013

If in my lifetime a massive asteroid enters Earth's orbit and obliterates all life on this planet, moments before impact I will reflect on the negativity in this thread and conclude: "Yep, we deserve it"

Guri

This is stuff that was originally intended to be set aside for retailer specific preorders, right?
The quality of the content seems to indicate so, at least.

They never had in-game content exclusive to retailers. And by the way, for some questioning about only skins and similar things, there's also a side quest already announced and I'm sure there will be more. I don't care if it's a PR move or not. We get free content after launch.

Devs have an excellent past record on this.

Also, what cares about witcher 3, we had 2 witcher games already.

WHERE IS CYBERPUNK?

Acheteedo

Ridiculous! Putting the rest of the industry to shame, I like it. These guys deserve huge sales and I'll be doing my part.

Carib2g

Banned
Can't please fucking anyone these days....

Some idiots are actually complaining that it's a "pain" to go to the store "to download them."

What fucking twilight zone am I living in?

Props to CD Project Red for an awesome move...and props to "us" that appreciate EXTRA content at NO EXTRA COST.

inm8num2

Marketing this as free DLC is mainly a PR tactic to boost interest and pre-orders. I don't mean that cynically or negatively. It's a good and smart move to give players a little more content and gain their confidence.

Doomshine

I'm no developer but as far as I know there comes a point when you lock the content and just polish what you have, so to say that this DLC could be "easily" included in the final release is kind of shitty to the developers.

jesu

wow, armor and skins, this is what the gaming world was looking out for.

hey its free.

why make such a big deal out of it. its just some small pieces of junk. if it were some story-dlc, my jaw would have dropped but in this case....

Well the second piece of DLC will have a new quest.

gioGAF

Amazing! This should be an industry standard. I will buy their game day 1, whereas before I was going to wait for a "complete" edition. Where do I send my money CD?

RedSwirl

It's probably not going to be done in time to make it onto the retail disc.

The game is currently being tested and optimized. Adding new content in at this stage probably throws that out of whack. Furthermore, there'es usually a period of a few weeks in-between when a game goes gold (the content on the retail disc is finalized) and when it hits store shelves. Usually that's the time it takes for them to manufacture the discs and get the game through certification (ESRB, Sony, Microsoft). That's enough time for some additional content to be made for a game, or at least some more bugs worked out that they found more recently. That's why you tend to get day-one DLC and patches.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
If in my lifetime a massive asteroid enters Earth's orbit and obliterates all life on this planet, moments before impact I will reflect on the negativity in this thread and conclude: "Yep, we deserve it"

yea pretty much this.
"we don't like paying for DLC"
"why aren't we paying for DLC?"

Top Bottom