• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - New screenshots

cripterion

If your buying the game on consoles, I doubt you care whether or not CDPr gets hurt so much as making sure the game is running fine and looks good.

All they've seen is one vertical slice from one console a year ago.

Well people can see that on release and with the inevitable Digital Foundry article.

Seriously, every thread about the Witcher and there's like +10 posts whining about not seeing console footage or how it runs on PS4.

tuxfool

Banned
So their potential customers on consoles don't have the right to see what they're getting beforehand? Don't get me wrong, I trust CDPR to deliver a fantastic product on consoles, but that line in particular is a bit ridiculous.

Reviews will be going out a week in advance of release. I'm sure a lot of those will be console versions.

injurai

Banned
At this point I can only assume CDPR wants to avoid the "But the earlier footage looked better than the Ultra we have now!" storm in a teacup for as long as possible... which raises the question of when CDPR will feel comfortable unveiling a playable (as in "fit for recording" as opposed to "fit for public consumption") build of 2077.

When they first revealed TW3 I believe they didn't have a distributor and publisher lined up. I'm sure a large part of the reveal was demonstrated initial interest and finalizing publishing agreements. They pretty much used a different publisher for each region. I think they are really trying to unshackle themselves from the whims of a single overhead publisher that may muscle them when putting out sequels and renewing deals. It's similar to what From Software does.

I read in another Witcher 3 thread, on GAF, that they put Cyberpunk 2077 into ice some time ago as they had to put all bodies into finishing Witcher 3. I wouldn't expect screenshots or videos from 2077 for few years.

Well, TW3 was at the stage that need a whole bunch of programmers polishing up that last bits. Presumably 2077 still had the engine devs working on the Red engine, and other pre-dev and alpha people laying things out. Particularly the people that wouldn't be able to make the final push for TW3.

It being on "ice" temporarily really doesn't push it out a few years all of a sudden. Maybe 6 months or something. If we still have to wait longer its time that we would have spent waiting anyways.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Reviews will be going out a week in advance of release. I'm sure a lot of those will be console versions.
Good, hopefully that puts a lot of worries to rest. If the 360 version of The Witcher 3 is anything to go by, XB1 and PS4 owners have nothing to worry about.

Chaos17

11109199_1594196984157175_121311212989023554_o.jpg
I love the colors in that one.
Can't wait to try out this game and I really hope my pc will be strong enough for it Q_Q

Hoje0308

Banned
TW3 will be my first game in the series and I'd like to know what the HUD options have been like in the past. Are there options for opacity, or is it limited to an on/off toggle?

cripterion

What made you think I "cared" about their reputation on their behalf? I'm not even sure how you misconstrued that.

No need to be condescending. If anything, I should feel sorry for your reading comprehension.

My point was that CD Projekt position themselves as different from other AAA developers/publishers, but are guilty of the same underhanded marketing that's become the norm.

See my post above.

Besides we're less than a month away from release and previews, footage and screenshots keep coming. No doubt you'll see the game running on PS4. We've already been told it's incoming and you have journalists saying it looks good and runs relatively fine.

2 of those aren't open world games and the 3rd currently runs quite badly. There is AC:U which is open world but does not have dynamic time of day.
True. Real-time global illumination is very difficult to pull off in open-world games. FFXV and ACU both have their fair share of issues with it. CD Projekt may have made the right choice leaving it out of TW3.

TW3 will be my first game in the series and I'd like to know what the HUD options have been like in the past. Are there options for opacity, or is it limited to an on/off toggle?

Comes up in every thread. The HUD will be fully customizable, and we'll be able to completely remove it.

The Witcher 2 had a hotkey set to turn it on and off. I can see that making a return in this game as well. If not, a HUD toggle mod should be pretty easy.

SaberEdge

Until we see that exact place at that exact time of day in the final game, people really need to stop posting that fucking gif over and over and over and over again. I know what it looks like, I don't need the constant reminder.

Tell me about it. That gif isn't even that special. I mean, it looks good, but in terms of its technical makeup it's not doing anything that we haven't seen in other places in the game.

I honestly think some people are just very poor at judging graphical quality when it involves different art/location and different lighting conditions. This seems to really throw a lot of people off.

Dang can't wait for this game to unlock on my xbox one.
Will double dip once intel releases skylake so i can assemble a new pc build.

erawsd

True. Real-time global illumination is very difficult to pull off in open-world games. FFXV and ACU both have their fair share of issues with it. CD Projekt may have made the right choice leaving it out of TW3.

I thought those games were both prebaked GI? ACU definitely does. I think Fable Legends is the only open world game with actual real time GI.

Hoje0308

Banned
Comes up in every thread. The HUD will be fully customizable, and we'll be able to completely remove it.

The Witcher 2 had a hotkey set to turn it on and off. I can see that making a return in this game as well. If not, a HUD toggle mod should be pretty easy.

Yeah, I realized what a dunce I was being and used Google to find out for myself. I'll be playing on PS4, so hopefully the control scheme allows for the toggle, if that is indeed implemented. With the system being dynamic though, I doubt it will be much of a problem for me regardless.
Thanks for answering a lazy man's query!

viveks86

Not sure if posted already but Gamestar has released a new preview today. They are saying they played the full version as the first media outlet world wide.
They also confirmed again that the game ran at Ultra/60 fps + Hairworks on a Intel i7-4790, 16 GB RAM and a 980.

What in the world…

Initially, we are just curious. Only amused Shortly afterwards, then outraged. A little later we laugh out loud before us speechless with horror and disgust. As is our task for the "Bloody Baron" finally met a diffuse mixture of pity, anger, and especially astonishment remains. Astonishment, because The Witcher 3 in only one quest and less than 30 minutes so masterfully plays with our emotions as Mozart on the piano. This is something we have simply never seen in an RPG.

Probably a lot getting mistranslated as superlatives, but it still sounds like they are knocking it out of the park with this one.

Durante

What in the world…

Probably a lot getting mistranslated as superlatives, but it still sounds like they are knocking it out of the park with this one.
No, there are that many superlatives in there in the original German.

I don't put much stock in previews, but they were clearly very impressed.

viveks86

On our return we want equal continue playing, but Miles sends us first in the graphics options: "Now we can show the maximum graphic detail that is the first time" So we turn grass density and texture, water and terrain details are all based on 'Ultra' stroke!. Because in our face-PC (Intel i7-4790, 16GB RAM) also a Geforce GTX 980 slaves, we also select the option "Nvidia Hair Works". The result of our skin from the shoes!

In Geralt's lined face we recognize each skin pore, his long shadow spreads in the setting sun like a bed sheet on a dense colorful flower meadow, the light breeze makes the white hair fluttering in the wind realistic. But even more important than all the graphic splendor: Even with ultra details the updated game runs almost continuously at 60 frames and thus even more fluid than the previous version, in which we were only with high details go.

Mmmmmm… 4k60, here I come.

Sorry, I'm blind sometimes :|

But still, they really went overboard with some elements of it. I know they're targeting bigger audience than ever, but do people really want to look at UI elements that remind them which buttons to use for fast and strong attacks?
You mean you don't need to be told what time it is and whether or not the sky is clear? Just gonna make observations yourself, huh? Pfffft....
As I said in this post - I'm blind sometimes, so it looks like I could use a big-ass
(a bit hyperbolic, I know)
UI icon that tells me the weather's clear and sunny... slapped on the very sky it's describing :p

Well people can see that on release and with the inevitable Digital Foundry article.

Seriously, every thread about the Witcher and there's like +10 posts whining about not seeing console footage or how it runs on PS4.

Yea, god forbid console owners want some console footage so that they can adjust expectations accordingly.

erawsd

But still, they really went overboard with some elements of it. I know they're targeting bigger audience than ever, but do people really want to look at UI elements that remind them which buttons to use for fast and strong attacks?

As I said in this post - I'm blind sometimes, so it looks like I could use a big-ass
UI icon that tells me the weather's clear and sunny... slapped on the very sky it's describing :p

Yeah, the controller buttons look real dumb but I guess there is somebody out there who needs it since they are so context heavy. Luckily everything can be toggled, some parts can be scaled, and resource/item frames can be set to hide when youre not in combat.

I thought those games were both prebaked GI? ACU definitely does. I think Fable Legends is the only open world game with actual real time GI.
FFXV uses real-time global illumination, while ACU uses pre-baked GI (I meant just FFXV with my real-time GI comment). I didn't realize Fable Legends also uses real-time GI though.

SaberEdge

Not sure if posted already but Gamestar has released a new preview today. They are saying they played the full version as the first media outlet world wide.
They also confirmed again that the game ran at Ultra/60 fps + Hairworks on a Intel i7-4790, 16 GB RAM and a 980.

Well, damn, that's good news if they're confirming it a second time. It should run just fine for me, in that case, on my gtx 970 and gsync monitor. I don't need to be hitting 60fps all the time for it to remain perfectly smooth.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
ACU has atmosphere simulation. So clouds cast shadows and heavily affect the lighting in both interiors and exteriors. There is a really good time lapse video that shows it.

ricki42

So their potential customers on consoles don't have the right to see what they're getting beforehand? Don't get me wrong, I trust CDPR to deliver a fantastic product on consoles, but that line in particular is a bit ridiculous.

Their potential customers on Linux don't even know if they'll ever get the game at all. I know that's a small number compared to PS4, but after playing The Witcher 2 on Linux, I'd appreciate at least a definitive yes or no from CDPR. I know the game was part of the SteamOS sale on steam, but CDPR never mentioned a Linux version and hasn't answered any questions about this at all.

Hoje0308

Banned

I was actually agreeing with you. I'm glad there will be options, because most of the HUD includes information I'd rather not see. I don't need text identifying an ogre with one eye as a cyclops, or any other superfluous info the HUD loves to provide. My level of enjoyment in a game like this depends very much the level of immersion I experience. So yeah, minimal info on screen is my preference.

What's the released date for this game?

May 19th, get hyped!

My new GTX 970 arrived today and I've discovered I somehow bought it from seemingly the only retailer in the world which doesn't give out a free Witcher 3 code.

I was actually agreeing with you. I'm glad there will be options, because most of the HUD includes information I'd rather not see. I don't need text identifying an ogre with one eye as a cyclops, or any other superfluous info the HUD loves to provide. My level of enjoyment in a game like this depends very much the level of immersion I experience. So yeah, minimal info on screen is my preference.

May 19th, get hyped!

I am, this game is gonna save me money. I won't be buying anything for a long time and I won't be going out at all. Just home and this game!

SaberEdge

FFXV uses real-time global illumination, while ACU uses pre-baked GI (I meant just FFXV with my real-time GI comment). I didn't realize Fable Legends also uses real-time GI though.

All those games use precomputed global illumination to one degree or another. It doesn't work the binary way many people imagine, where global illumination is either "baked" or not baked. There are a lot of different techniques and implementations but they all currently use precomputed data in one form or another (i.e light probes etc.), as far as I'm aware. Perhaps The Tomorrow Children can be considered to be using a truly dynamic real-time global illumination.

In any case, it's not like a game that ostensibly has "global illumination" is automatically going to have better or more convincing lighting than a game without it. The HDR image based lighting with physically based properties in The Witcher 3 is looking really good, for example, and may look subjectively better than many games that purportedly use "global illumination".

cripterion

Yea, god forbid console owners want some console footage so that they can adjust expectations accordingly.

And it is coming. Does hammering requests in every single thread make it come faster? Granted devs probably read Neogaf too but c'mon... Some people wanna see Ultra settings, others probaly wanna see the game run on Medium or Low settings but they ain't getting none either.

You already know it will run at 1080P/30fps on PS4 and 900P/30fps on Xbox One. And from the journalist impressions the game looks good.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Hell yes.

My second 970 FTW Edition is on the way.

i7 3770k
SLI 970 FTW
16GB Ram

I should be in good shape. I would really love to hit 4K at 30fps, but I guess we will see. 1440p should be doable at least.

Aldia

Banned
And it is coming. Does hammering requests in every single thread make it come faster? Granted devs probably read Neogaf too but c'mon... Some people wanna see Ultra settings, others probaly wanna see the game run on Medium or Low settings but they ain't getting none either.

You already know it will run at 1080P/30fps on PS4 and 900P/30fps on Xbox One. And from the journalist impressions the game looks good.

Internet 101: complaining about other people complaining never solves the problem.

Top Bottom