• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness price revealed ($39.99 / €36.99)

Deadstar

so much salt
I8CZKh.jpg

things cost money?

If it doesn't have guns in it, it's not worth $40. I'll wait for reviews, but if the game is good I will easily pay $40 for a Myst type game, which this appears to be.

Yeah, what I expected. I'm fine with it. Will wait for impressions. Hopefully it won't have high system specs. My notebook already had troubles with the Talos Principle demo :(

Weetrick

Were people really not expecting a $40 price tag?

Games have been devalued to a point where $40 for a "downloadable game" seems crazy to many people. And to be fair, it will probably cost half that in a few months.

From what I've seen, $40 seems like a fair price for this game. I'm excited.

Tsosie

$40
The Witness
Kerbal Space Program
Divinity Original Sin
The Talos Principle
Wasteland 2
Planetary Annihiliation
Offworld Trading Company
Wreckfest

$30
Warhammer Vermintide
Prison Architect
SOMA
Endless Legend
Satellite Reign
The Age of Decadence
Descent: Underground

$25
Grim Dawn
Space Engineers
Chivalry
Infinifactory
Depth
Hand of Fate
Kentucky Route Zero
Else.Heart.Break
Broken Age

Why were people expecting $15-$20 again?

This post puts the price into perspective. If Witness is as good as most of these games, it will be well worth the sub-premium price.

jett

D-Member
I bet it would have been cheaper if Talos bombed. But it didn't, so its a good price point for this kind of game

Yeah I have no issues with it. Talos was fucking oustanding and well worth its price tag. Just because something is a puzzle game or indie doesn't mean it should be priced at $20 or less. The Witness's productions value look pretty high anyway.

GhaleonEB

just the majority of it
It transitions pretty quickly from line puzzles to environmental ones; this is on display in the launch day trailer. Not sure how it breaks down in puzzle count split, but my impression is the line puzzles are more to teach you about the later game.

It'll depend on whatever else is out the month it releases that I need to buy. $40 is "get it on disc" territory for me. If I can get it 20% off at Amazon that week, I'll probably bite. If not, I'll probably have to wait, give myself a break and hit up the backlog.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
No, it's called progression. Indie games are taking the next step and getting bigger in both scope and production values. This game isn't a 5-hour 2D game that would normally cost $10-$15. It's a 100 hour game in a fully 3D world. Not all Indie games are created equal, nor should they be all priced the same.

Progression? Then explain Axiom Verge to me? It's $20 and looks exactly like an 8 bit NES game. Sorry but I don't think that ANY xbla/psn game should be more than $20 and that's being generous. At $40, The Witness should have a physical release in my opinion. Of course, this is just my own personal opinion. This generation has had some good games but in so many ways, has gotten worse than last generation but to each their own.

mclem

Not necessarily averse to this, but I'm a huge fan of - and, as a consequence, highly critical of - adventure game puzzles, and so for full price I'm less likely to look favourably on mediocre ones. Will still pick up, reviews may make that sooner rather than later.

ps3ud0

Its the games worth it, its worth it - silly to bracket games because of indie/AAA labels. TBH at least I know more of the money goes to devs rather than a pub so thats a nice bonus.

As always Ill wait for user reviews and pick it up eventually - wasnt really on my radar considering how busy 2016 is!

ps3ud0 8)

We'll see how it reviews, but I can't write off a $40 game just because it's a puzzle game. Both Portal games and Talos would have been well worth that price.

What a fucking joke! Get your shit together Sony, this shouldn't have been an issue at all.

Who cares? It's not like they're gonna run out of downloads. There's no point preordering this. Preloading maybe, but how big can this game be anyway?

Edit: Also your tag is fucking awesome.

El_Cinefilo

I've not seen or heard enough about the game to say if it's worth $40 or not but to the people saying he needs to make the money back; Do you think pricing it this high is creating a bigger risk of it bombing? I mean it's better to sell 1 million copies at $20 than 200k at $40 right? I think it's risking missing out on a lot of impulse buys at this price

Again not saying it's not worth it, Just that it seems a risky price.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yeah, same price as the Talos Principle. No problem with the pricing here, though as always I'll be waiting for a sale.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Games have been devalued to a point where $40 for a "downloadable game" seems crazy to many people. And to be fair, it will probably cost half that in a few months.

From what I've seen, $40 seems like a fair price for this game. I'm excited.

All games are discounted after a few months...this is not a downloadable only game thing.

Progression? Then explain Axiom Verge to me? It's $20 and looks exactly like an 8 bit NES game. Sorry but I don't think that ANY xbla/psn game should be more than $20 and that's being generous. At $40, The Witness should have a physical release in my opinion. Of course, this is just my own personal opinion. This generation has had some good games but in so many ways, has gotten worse than last generation but to each their own.

So Life is Strange was worthless until today, because it got a physical release?

Don't know why $40 is considered steep for a game with 50-100 hours of content when peopled paid $60 for MGS with 5 hours of content.

21XX

Banned
What even is this game? I've seen the line puzzles but is that it? Am I looking at a game with 600 line puzzles and the requisite Blow pretentiousness?

danowat

Banned
Not really paid much attention to this, but watched a few trailer videos.

Will be interesting to see how they stretch the puzzle mechanics out to 100 hours, going to have to be something special to keep it fresh.

Look forward to seeing people's impressions.

IvanJ

Banned
I expected them to be so cheeky and price it at $40. No indie game is worth that much to me. I'll patiently wait it out for $15-20.

Slightly higher than I thought, but only because I spent all of 5 seconds speculating on price. Now that I've thought about it, surprised it isn't $60.

If you want mid tier development back you have to be prepared to pay fair prices.

Though i don't know this game, i cannot agree more. People ask for midbudget titles and lament their absence, yet their price (35€-40€) scares off since it's more expensive than indies yet it's probably perceived that they don't offer as much 'value' as AAA budget titless.

It might have helped if it came as a physical title

The Witness is getting a physical release some time after launch.

Regardless, your value standards are pathetic.

Top Bottom