• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness price revealed ($39.99 / €36.99)

Waiting for sale it is then I guess.

SMH at some posts in this thread. You would think the developers were entitled to your money just for doing their job. Complaining about people wanting it cheaper is the equivalent of someone calling the developers greedy for pricing it at 40$. Both of those points are bullshit.

They are free to price it whatever they want. People are free to wait till its in the price range they are willing to pay.

PolishQ

Modedit: some context regarding the price:
In addition to confirming the release date, Blow shed some light on how long the game will take you to complete. He tells GameSpot that most people will need about 20-25 hours to beat the game's 667 puzzles. However, completionists could spend closer to 100 hours before they're done, he said.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4pc-the-witness-release-date-announced-average-p/1100-6430658/

I think Gamespot is a little confused here. Blow has stated in the past that there is a completion state that can be reached without solving all of the game's puzzles. For example, if you solve 7 of the game's 11 areas (to say nothing of hidden stuff after that), you can get something resembling an ending. That's probably the 20-25 hour mark. But to solve ALL of the 667 puzzles, Blow has said you're looking at potentially 80-100 hours.

Briarios

Thing is, most people aren't completionists -- I mean, an Assassin's Creed game is either 20 hours or 60, but for most people length is how long it takes to conplete the story.

I just don't have enough information one way or the other to decide if its worth $40 or not. At $20, I'd chance it blind ... At that price, I wait for reviews and for people here to play it.

Everyone has a different calculus for determining when to purchase a game. Nothing wrong with that.

Kureizu

So beating every puzzle takes about 20-25 hours? I wonder what else is there to get to the 80-100 hours Blow mentions.

Games have been devalued to a point where $40 for a "downloadable game" seems crazy to many people. And to be fair, it will probably cost half that in a few months.

From what I've seen, $40 seems like a fair price for this game. I'm excited.
It shouldn't the most of the larger, more anticipated indie games are in the $20-$40 range in recent months.
$40
The Witness
Kerbal Space Program
Divinity Original Sin
The Talos Principle
Wasteland 2
Planetary Annihiliation
Offworld Trading Company
Wreckfest

$30
Warhammer Vermintide
Prison Architect
SOMA
Endless Legend
Satellite Reign
The Age of Decadence
Descent: Underground

$25
Darkest Dungeon
Grim Dawn
Space Engineers
Chivalry
Infinifactory
Depth
Hand of Fate
Kentucky Route Zero
Else.Heart.Break
Broken Age

$20
Ori and the Blind Forest
Oxenfree
Hard West
Banished
This War of Mine
Outlast
Axiom Verge
Door Kickera
Distance
Transistor
Invisible Inc

S1kkZ

only thing that will keep me from buying, would be a bad/unstable framerate on ps4.

price is fine. game looks more polished than most 60$ retail releases and has tons of content.

RK128

Considering how massive this game is (over 100 hours of content to dive into) alongside its very long development period (ever since.....Early 2013 I think), it being 40 bucks is not only fair, but somewhat expected.

Hope it does well and that many give it a shot :).

GhaleonEB

It has exploration to find the puzzles as well yes? Is that all?

I've not watched too many videos, I'm mainly going off comments I've heard on podcasts.
Release date trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ytwNUMdbcE

It essentially shows a mix of panel maze puzzles, environmental puzzles, and exploration. Blow has said they're showing relatively little of the game in previews so as to preserve the experience of discovering the game.

Tagyhag

So beating every puzzle takes about 20-25 hours? I wonder what else is there to get to the 80-100 hours Blow mentions.

Considering this is Blow we're talking about, there's probably a bonus puzzle where you have to stare at it for 5 hours or something.

PolishQ

Considering how massive this game is (over 100 hours of content to dive into) alongside its very long development period (ever since.....Early 2013 I think), it being 40 bucks is not only fair, but somewhat expected.

Hope it does well and that many give it a shot :).

8 years of development time, IIRC.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

SMH at some posts in this thread. You would think the developers were entitled to your money just for doing their job. Complaining about people wanting it cheaper is the equivalent of someone calling the developers greedy for pricing it at 40$. Both of those points are bullshit.

They are free to price it whatever they want. People are free to wait till its in the price range they are willing to pay.

No one is saying that.

KORNdoggy

I got the talos principle for £25 and its the maximum i'm willing to spend on the witness. Seems i'll be buying this one much later down the line!

HotHamBoy

Yeah, no one is saying otherwise. What they are saying is that an unwillingness to support the cost realities of making ambitious middle-tier games is what is making it so difficult for such games to exist, despite the demand from the internet.

Shibalan

In addition to confirming the release date, Blow shed some light on how long the game will take you to complete. He tells GameSpot that most people will need about 20-25 hours to beat the game's 667 puzzles. However, completionists could spend closer to 100 hours before they're done, he said.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4pc-the-witness-release-date-announced-average-p/1100-6430658/
This quote bugs me. Once you've finished the game's 667 puzzles, what do you do during the remaining 75 hours ? I mean, it's a puzzle-game, what can we expect to do when all the puzzles are done ? During 75 hours ?

Heel

He tells GameSpot that most people will need about 20-25 hours to beat the game's 667 puzzles. However, completionists could spend closer to 100 hours before they're done, he said.

4 to 5 times as long if you want to do more than complete the 667 puzzles? This is a very intriguing statement, and makes me think there's more than meets the eye than spending 75-80 extra hours sightseeing. Day one.

cyba89

I've not seen or heard enough about the game to say if it's worth $40 or not but to the people saying he needs to make the money back; Do you think pricing it this high is creating a bigger risk of it bombing? I mean it's better to sell 1 million copies at $20 than 200k at $40 right? I think it's risking missing out on a lot of impulse buys at this price

Again not saying it's not worth it, Just that it seems a risky price.

It may be risky, but starting with a higher price also gives you more room for discounts later down the road.

Guy spent seven years making this game, I think I can stretch to $40.

Bit silly the complaints about it not being "worth it." If the protag had a gun and there were enemies everywhere people would happily spend $40 on it. If you don't like puzzle games in the first place then you weren't going to buy it for $10 or $20 or any price he set, so you can't really make any comment on value.

GhaleonEB

This quote bugs me. Once you've finished the game's 667 puzzles, what do you do during the remaining 75 hours ? I mean, it's a puzzle-game, what can we expect to do when all the puzzles are done ? During 75 hours ?

4 to 5 times as long if you want to do more than complete the 667 puzzles? This is a very intriguing statement, and makes me think there's more than meets the eye than spending 75-80 extra hours sightseeing. Day one.

You can "beat" the game by completing a subset of the puzzles. Actually doing everything will take much longer, and result in a different ending.

Koh

My assumption is that you don't need to do all of the puzzles to complete the narrative.

Yeah, no one is saying otherwise. What they are saying is that an unwillingness to support the cost realities of making ambitious middle-tier games is what is making it so difficult for such games to exist, despite the demand from the internet.

Yeah, that is frustrating... we need more games of the caliber in the industry, if only to serve as incubators for new game concepts.

Not gonna preorder this, but I don't see the problem with the price. 36.99€ for 20-25h gameplay, than can last up 100h? That's a better deal then most other singleplayer games today.

HotHamBoy

Yeah, but Catherine was Atlus, SMT-related Anime drama with boobies. And I'm pretty sure a lot of the people who played it also waited for a sale because it got cheap quick.

Heel

That's exactly what has me curious to play. I'm thinking (hoping?) it's a puzzle within a puzzle, but I guess we'll find out.

Chobel

Progression? Then explain Axiom Verge to me? It's $20 and looks exactly like an 8 bit NES game. Sorry but I don't think that ANY xbla/psn game should be more than $20 and that's being generous. At $40, The Witness should have a physical release in my opinion. Of course, this is just my own personal opinion. This generation has had some good games but in so many ways, has gotten worse than last generation but to each their own.

492.gif

PolishQ

Gamespot is mixed up. 20-25 hours gets you "an" ending, which definitely does not involve solving all 667 puzzles.

Top Bottom