• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 love thread

So they showed Wonder Red, Blue, Green, and Pink in the latest trailer...but that's Wonder Yellow and Wonder Black on the box, right?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It would be great if they did the pricecut just before or the same day. This needs to sell ;_;

Yeah. I don't have a Wii U, but this has always been a game that makes me want one since it was announced. But I could see me hesitating at the current price, even though I want Sonic as well. If they cut it, I'd buy it right then. Otherwise I'll wait to get one when X is out.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
are we SURE that there will be multiplayer? They showed it just in the first E3 2012 trailer and nothing more...

WhyMe6

Hooray for this thread! I'm incredibly pumped for this game! It's my #1 most wanted Wii U game of the year and a system seller for me.

That said, I was going to buy a Wii U when this launches, but I'm realllly expecting a price cut/extra bundling to occur, so I'm going to hold out and see what goes down there.

are we SURE that there will be multiplayer? They showed it just in the first E3 2012 trailer and nothing more...

Yeah, it was also in the Direct this year.

TDLink

It has been the same for 30 years now.

"Nintendo, make a new IP"

*New IP is introduced*

"But that´s not Mario / Doens´t count for whatever reason / isn´t even noticed"

Sad, makes no sense, but true. :/

The worst is that two of the most interesting Wii U games are this and X. People are saying this doesn't count because Platinum is making it and Nintendo doesn't own Platinum despite the fact that it is completely funded by Nintendo...even though that is exactly how almost all of Sony's first party games are made.

The X one is even more boggling as it is being said that X does not count because Monolith is making it...and Monolith has been completely owned by Nintendo for the last 6 years or so. How long do they have to have been part of a Nintendo for it to count?

It makes no sense.

If there are 100 heroes with all unique abilities and attacks, this is going to have ridiculous replay value.

As far as we know there are 7 playable characters. It is possible there are a few more secret/unlockable ones but 100 is unlikely. The number refers largely to the amount of followers you use to "Unite" into various things.

Even 7+ characters is pretty great replay value for an action game though. Plus there's multiplayer!

That looks next gen to me...

That's because it is.

So they showed Wonder Red, Blue, Green, and Pink in the latest trailer...but that's Wonder Yellow and Wonder Black on the box, right?

Yeah, White is on the box also.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking more forward to this than Pikmin 3 tbh. Looks so god damned fun

Nintendo should blanket the airwaves with ads for this.

I don't care that Platinum games never sell. You've got the muscle of Nintendo driving this game, and Nintendo need to push it as a new hardcore IP.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This preview mentions 5 player local multiplayer :-O
http://www.gamrreview.com/preview/90176/wonderful-101-is-still-very-much-wonderful/
Also announced was five-player local co-op multiplayer. In this mode each person controls a single hero but everybody shares the army of citizen heroes. You will be locked into using just your own unique morph power, however you can also more easily flank enemies than in single player. Also you will be able to unite your morph powers with other heroes to perform much more devastatingly damaging moves.
Amazing if true.

Nintendo should blanket the airwaves with ads for this.

I don't care that Platinum games never sell. You've got the muscle of Nintendo driving this game, and Nintendo need to push it as a new hardcore IP.
More than this, they should have a bundle for each of the hardcore exclusives they will have.

Tayaya

I played this one at the Wii U Experience back before the Wii U came out. This and Rayman Legends were the only games there that really grabbed me as being "worth picking up the system for." And the gifs at the beginning of this thread are way better/original/FUN looking than what I got to play. I think the extra year in the cooker has only made this game that much better.

You guys are in for a treat!

Frodo

Do. Want. This.

Never been disappointed by a Kamiya game before. If there is a game that needs a love thread it is this one.... <3

Day 1, will get this instead of Pikmin and Rayman this summer on WiiU.
It hurts he just how much this is going to bomb. Well, it would have pretty much flopped everywhere, but since this week we know that the WiiU is as good as dead - which might even prevent a cult hit - and Nintendo's clownish marketing team clearly has no plans for this either. In your E3 show, when more people than ever watch, all you show is some nonsensical gameplay bits that make no sense to outsiders? Instead of the amazing trailers lately? ugh...

This has been my most anticipated game since it was revealed.

It has nothing to do with platform loyalty or whatever the hell people want to dismiss it as. Kamiya games are just always that good.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I'm getting a WiiU in august for this game. I'll get MH3U to play with MonHun Gaf but W101 is the reason I'm pulling the trigger. Kamiya games are that good, he always delivered in the past and will once more with Viewtiful 101 and again with Starfox *crosses fingers*

Shahadan

W101 was the reason I bought a Wii U too. Would have bought in august if I didn't come across a 199€ Wii U with a game.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I so can't wait to play this at first I was worried that it would be Pikmin but with Super Heroes but after seeing some gameplay footage that simply just isn't the case.

All of my love.
CkUPeb8.gif

I also love spamming this gif.

It's a shame that this will be the closet we ever get to a Viewtiful Joe 3, oh well Capcom lost is Nintendo gain.

I'm gonna steal my little brother's Wii U to play this.

Tut tut stealing your little brother Wii U to play a Superhero game.

The worst is that two of the most interesting Wii U games are this and X. People are saying this doesn't count because Platinum is making it and Nintendo doesn't own Platinum despite the fact that it is completely funded by Nintendo...even though that is exactly how almost all of Sony's first party games are made.

The X one is even more boggling as it is being said that X does not count because Monolith is making it...and Monolith has been completely owned by Nintendo for the last 6 years or so. How long do they have to have been part of a Nintendo for it to count?

It makes no sense.

You know what else that doesn't make any sense, when people say that the new Nintendo IP on the E-shop don't count because they aren't physical retail copy.

It's also interesting how they ignore the fact Nintendo release tons of new IP for the Wii

How can Nintendo prove that they do make new IP if the naysayer keeps moving the goal post? Then again I don't think these people fully understand the Video game market and just how hard it is to release new IP and then expecting them to sell well.

Odinson

Can not wait for this game! Looks like a ton of fun. One of my most anticipated games when I bought a Wii U. Thank you Kamiya!

ah_hia

This was a pleasant surprise when it was announced. So much potential and fun. I hope it sells well along with Bayonetta 2 so we can expect more Platinum games.

Air

Banned
Why isn't this thread at page 100 yet? DAMNIT GAF

edit: sorry for the terrible top page ;_;

That's our job! HYPE HYPE HYPE.

All of my love.
CkUPeb8.gif

I also love spamming this gif.

I will put this in the op once I'm on my computer! More gifs!

This was a pleasant surprise when it was announced. So much potential and fun. I hope it sells well along with Bayonetta 2 so we can expect more Platinum games.

I was in love when it was first announced, the style was really something wonderful.

Can not wait for this game! Looks like a ton of fun. One of my most anticipated games when I bought a Wii U. Thank you Kamiya!

Tweet him about it! I'm sure he'll appreciate the love.

If I have time, I will add character descriptions to the OP as well. The more gifs the better too as they immediately show people the best parts of the game.

I'm curios to know if Nintendo helps them out a bit, because visually it's a lot improved over their stuff up to mgr. Both TW101 and Bayonetta 2 are much cleaner looking.

TDLink

I'm curios to know if Nintendo helps them out a bit, because visually it's a lot improved over their stuff up to mgr. Both TW101 and Bayonetta 2 are much cleaner looking.

The Wii U is more powerful than the systems Rising was on. These games could very well have a bigger budget as well since Nintendo is funding them.

The Wii U is more powerful than the systems Rising was on. These games could very well have a bigger budget as well since Nintendo is funding them.
Yeah, I'm asking this because bayo2 got this shiny look of some newer Nintendo games like galaxy, 3dworld etc.
I noticed this in Sonic Lost World as well.

mrmickfran

I'm buying a Wii U just for this and Bayo 2. Donkey Kong and Sonic Lost World are icing on the cake.

We NEED more Platinum/Nintendo collaboration. Nintendo seems to be the one publisher that gives dev teams as much time as they need to, in order to finish a game. Now if We could just get them to advertise the games. :p

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Can someone confirm the 5 player mode? How come don't we have multiple E3 previews for this game already!

Varjet

Honestly, I'm almost a bit upset that there are no endless angry rants about this games' exclusivity.
Bayonetta 2 gets months of bitching but apparently no one cares about the new game of the Bayonetta creator.

Honestly, I'm almost a bit upset that there are no endless angry rants about this games' exclusivity.
Bayonetta 2 gets months of bitching but apparently no one cares about the new game of the Bayonetta creator.

~quotes first The Wonderful 101 reveal from this board~

It was embarrassing the reactions and spoke volumes on how some people think.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Played this at a Nintendo WiiU experience event. It's so wacky and high-pitched awesome you feel like it's going to fall apart at the seams at any given moment but it doesn't.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
We NEED more Platinum/Nintendo collaboration. Nintendo seems to be the one publisher that gives dev teams as much time as they need to, in order to finish a game. Now if We could just get them to advertise the games. :p
Kamiya on Starfox. BELIEVE.

EDIT : haha, he saw my tweet!

The reveal thread for this game was so depressing. So many people were saying: "THIS is Kamiya's game?!" as if it wasn't good enough.

SkyOdin

1Ke2gfW.png

He's smiling at us, GAF! Smile and wave.

Thanks for the great games, Hideki Kamiya! We are all looking forward to The Wonderful 101!

I am tentatively planning on getting a Wii U this year, and The Wonderful 101 is currently on my short list of games to buy with it (along with Mario 3D World, maybe Mario Kart, and maybe Pikmin 3). The game just seems like a fun mix of old-school side-scrolling arcade beat-em-up and modern action game with a cool style to it.

"Platinum Games will never sell"

If I remember correctly, PG aren't exactly chasing money nor AAA fans, but they are out to make quality games. That is all that matters.

Top Bottom