• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 love thread

As much as I'm looking forward to this game, I do hope that the Wonderful 101 Direct gives us more reason for that hero army.

My understanding right now is that they increase your battery amount and increase your damage (if you put more heroes into a Unite Morph). That makes them seem a bit like coins in a Mario game. A power-up divided into smaller pieces that have little to no value individually. But that doesn't explain why they're characters that follow you around instead of being power-ups. The heroes could just materialize the weapons and objects without them.

Is the game better off being The Wonderful 101 rather than The Sensational Seven? That's what I'm curious about. "Is this Pikmin?" and "N64 graphics" would probably be less of an issue if they went that route, too, so hopefully there's a payoff.

The minor heroes can be hit by attacks. If they are, they get KO'd and you have to revive them if you want to add their power back to you own. Temp heroes(i.e. deputized citizens) that stay KO'd for too long will leave the party. Temp heroes also can't follow you to other missions, so permanent power increases will only come when you collect members of the Wonderful 100.

Himself

Is anyone else having a hard time commiting to buy Pikmin 3 one month and Wonderful 101 the very next? Even though I'm sure they are very different at their core, they seem similar enough on a superficial level that it kinda seems like buying two 2D platformers or two fighting games in a month or something. Is it just me?

Is anyone else having a hard time commiting to buy Pikmin 3 one month and Wonderful 101 the very next? Even though I'm sure they are very different at their core, they seem similar enough on a superficial level that it kinda seems like buying two 2D platformers or two fighting games in a month or something. Is it just me?

I'm just happy to finally be getting lots of games on Wii U, I plan to buy everything Nintendo is releasing for it except Art Academy, I have no interest in that.

Usobuko

Banned

No problem in buying both, I'll make a point to get W101 day one though.

olimpia84

Not me. I'm not interested in Pikmin 3, it's all W101 for me.

Darryl

Banned

i told myself i was gonna pick one of the two but i couldn't pick so i'm gettin them both

Nope, will be buying both.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
W101 is no Pikmin.
You'll discover it as soon as you'll get in the game I think.
Or probably people don't remember the heavy strategic and managing aspects of Pikmin, don't know.

The Boat

They're not that similar when you're playing them, trust me. It just seems like it because you run around with a crowd. pikmin is a strategy game and 101 is an action game, you won't feel like you're playing the same genre.

Cheska

Despite my unhealthy love for Bayo, this game really wasn't on my radar until recently. Then I sat down and actually watched the videos and now I'm beyond excited for this to release! I wasn't planning on buying a WiiU until closer to Bayo 2's release but I found a Deluxe for $200 and figured it was faith.

Now are any retailers in the US having a special preorder bonus for W101? Want to make sure I preorder soon if that's the case.

Himself

They're not that similar when you're playing them, trust me. It just seems like it because you run around with a crowd. pikmin is a strategy game and 101 is an action game, you won't feel like you're playing the same genre.

That's what I'm figuring. I've played lots of Pikmin and lots of Kamiya games so I know they won't be the same at their core. Plus I think Puppeteer comes out between them so that should break things up nicely.

Actually the near simultaneous release of Puppeteer/Rayman Legends poses a similar dilemma. They both look spectacular, but share the same essential DNA. Why are we cursed with so many awesome games?!?!

Ninjimbo

It looks like they don't play similarly at all. One is an action game and the other remains a strange puzzle/strategy game hybrid. Theoretically, they should appeal to a different set of people.

I'm excited for both though. My tastes are really broad.

My hype for this game has gone through the roof since its E3 showing. It's unfortunate that I'm choosing it over Pikmin 3 and it makes me wish they had better spaced out the titles (one coming out earlier this year would have worked wonders for my scant Wii U library).

I think Pikmin 3 will sell well enough anyway. Wonderful 101 is more of a crap shoot sales wise.

Cheska

I think Pikmin 3 will sell well enough anyway. Wonderful 101 is more of a crap shoot sales wise.

Eh, I don't know about that. It has quite the following around it, and with how stale WiiU releases have been recently I think plenty of people will want to pick it up if only to have something new to play.

Air

Banned
Don't forget guys, W101 is gonna be about 20hrs long of pure action. I can't be the only one excited at that

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

no, since as you said they're similar only on a superficial level. Besides, both games will be excellent so I don't see a reason to be worried about

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Inventive gameplay, 60 fps. these are the kind of games I want! Can't wait to pick this up day one

Yeah, this is the type of game we beg for near constantly around here. Gaffers had better support this effort if they wanna see more games like this.

I am so fucking excited to play through this thing multiplayer. Five-player local multi should be absolutely required on Wii U. Always bummed if I hear a game is only four (Mario Kart 8, you better not let me down).

Hopefully it doesn't have that Kamiya staple of recycling bosses in the later hours.

It's actually an old school throw back

It shows that these bosses, who were challenging in the beginning, are nothing to you now with the skills you have learned throughout the game

This is one of my main factors contributing for my want for a Wii U. Looks like the superhero teamup Viewtiful Joe should be in, but, alas, Capcom only puts him in VS games now. Looks like a lot of fun.

Himself

Yeah, this is the type of game we beg for near constantly around here. Gaffers had better support this effort if they wanna see more games like this.

Sadly I don't think most of GAF wants to see more games like this. Just look at the amount of hype for Titanfall and The Division games from E3 vs. that of Wonderful 101 and other similarly creative games. Most of GAF wants prettier, mildly evolved versions of the same shit they've been playing for 7 years,

Also, regarding the 20 hours thing. Kamiya still said it's the kind of game you can finish in a day. I'm sure the 20 hours includes multiple playthroughs to unlock stuff/whatever so I wouldn't expect a single playthrough to last anywhere near that long. Plus who would want to limit the amount of time they spend with something so cool anyway? This is gonna be way beyond 20 hours for me.

Mlatador

Banned
Sadly I don't think most of GAF wants to see more games like this. Just look at the amount of hype for Titanfall and The Division games from E3 vs. that of Wonderful 101 and other similarly creative games. Most of GAF wants prettier, mildly evolved versions of the same shit they've been playing for 7 years,

Also, regarding the 20 hours thing. Kamiya still said it's the kind of game you can finish in a day. I'm sure the 20 hours includes multiple playthroughs to unlock stuff/whatever so I wouldn't expect a single playthrough to last anywhere near that long. Plus who would want to limit the amount of time they spend with something so cool anyway? This is gonna be way beyond 20 hours for me.

Yepp, that's kinda sad, but I still have hope, eventhough the hardcore gamers are in the minority here.

Thanks god Nintendo exists who actaully cares to invest in and promote those games!

It's actually an old school throw back

It shows that these bosses, who were challenging in the beginning, are nothing to you now with the skills you have learned throughout the game
Kid Icarus:U was the last game I played that did this. And I fucked all of their shit up. feelsgoodman

Fabrik

Banned
Another cult classic in the making! I hope I'm not slightly disappointed like I was with MGR (Too short, bland level design).
I love the fact that Kamiya has the same game design philosophy as Nintendo. One of the most creative game designer out there.

Himself

Yepp, that's kinda sad, but I still have hope, eventhough the hardcore gamers are in the minority here.

Thanks god Nintendo exists who actaully cares to invest in and promote those games!

I'd say Sony and Microsoft both make an effort to support titles that they know won't be commercial hits.

But of course I'm thankful Nintendo stepped up to the plate for Platinum Games. Probably wouldn't have bought a Wii U anytime soon if it weren't for Wonderful 101.

Nope. While I do understand what you mean as far as "controlling lots of characters," the two games still play very differently. One is a weird Nintendo hybrid genre character action/adventure/RTS, and the other is Platinum games straight-up action.

Pikmin 3 is something I've been waiting 9 years for, so if I had to choose, I'd go with Pikmin 3. It's seriously one of Nintendo's very best franchises. That said, I'm not going to choose, and as long as I enjoy controlling Wonderful 101, I'll pick it up the day I finish getting all the gold medals in Pikmin.

guek

Banned
Sadly I don't think most of GAF wants to see more games like this. Just look at the amount of hype for Titanfall and The Division games from E3 vs. that of Wonderful 101 and other similarly creative games. Most of GAF wants prettier, mildly evolved versions of the same shit they've been playing for 7 years.

The unfortunate truth. Titanfall and The Division look great and I hope to play them some day but I wish games like W101 were as equally hyped. One of the reasons I'm more excited for X than say Titanfall is that the former feels squarely focused on the concept of "adventure" whereas the second is centered around new was to kill virtual people. I want more of the former from my games :-(

I am excited for this game but it is very clearly going to follow the same path that Vietiful Joe and Okami did. I wish this kind of game were more popular.

Air

Banned
I am excited for this game but it is very clearly going to follow the same path that Vietiful Joe and Okami did. I wish this kind of game were more popular.

I hope it'll do well, due to the the types of games that sell on Nintendo platforms. I don't think Nintendo is expecting for this to sell 10 million but if it could break one or two would be great.

Top Bottom