• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 love thread

Is anyone else having a hard time commiting to buy Pikmin 3 one month and Wonderful 101 the very next? Even though I'm sure they are very different at their core, they seem similar enough on a superficial level that it kinda seems like buying two 2D platformers or two fighting games in a month or something. Is it just me?

I think a lot of people will feel this way. It's baffling to me why they did the release this way.

BOTEC

I had no interest in this game and certainly no intention of ever playing it before I entered this thread. That position has been entirely reversed just by the GIF's themselves.

Good job HypeGAF.

Although I guess I should have learned by now to just trust Platinum Games.

Forever

Banned
I am excited for this game but it is very clearly going to follow the same path that Vietiful Joe and Okami did. I wish this kind of game were more popular.
It's entirely in the hands of Wii U owners now, who I presume are the hardest core of the Nintendo fandom.

If they cannot show up for this game and Bayonetta 2, then they will have proved the other tribes right and earned the bleak future the platform will undoubtedly suffer.

L Thammy

The minor heroes can be hit by attacks. If they are, they get KO'd and you have to revive them if you want to add their power back to you own. Temp heroes(i.e. deputized citizens) that stay KO'd for too long will leave the party. Temp heroes also can't follow you to other missions, so permanent power increases will only come when you collect members of the Wonderful 100.

Thanks, hadn't heard about any of that. I didn't even know that temporary heroes were different from The Wonderful 100. The nice thing about that godawful Nintendomination gameplay is that I got to see some of what you were talking about.

Actually, they showed off a list of heroes that on the Gamepad. It looked like you could select between them. Does anyone know what that does? Is it just for character switching, or do the non-playable members of The Wonderful 100 (e.g. Wonder-Wonderland and Wonder-Pierrot) have abilities we can use?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, hadn't heard about any of that. I didn't even know that temporary heroes were different from The Wonderful 100. The nice thing about that godawful Nintendomination gameplay is that I got to see some of what you were talking about.

Actually, they showed off a list of heroes that on the Gamepad. It looked like you could select between them. Does anyone know what that does? Is it just for character switching, or do the non-playable members of The Wonderful 100 (e.g. Wonder-Wonderland and Wonder-Pierrot) have abilities we can use?

I think the main colors on the cover will be the playable characters. (Red, Blue, Green, Pink, Yellow, White and Black) while the rest of the 100 will be the permanent members of your force once you find and recruit them.(although maybe they do offer passive effects hence the choice on the pad)

I can't imagine what it would be like to create and balance 100 unique abilities for an action game of this supposed length.

Neff

When your peers are Viewtiful Joe, Bayonetta and the original Devil May Cry, being the worst in the set isn't necessarily an insult.

Not to mention Resident fucking Evil 2.

I will blindly consume this man's works for life.

mrmickfran

I love how they insult the player for doing bad.

At 3:50, the newspaper says: "Where are our real heroes!?" along with giving the player a crappy rank.

Normally the paper says: "Our heroes done it again!" when you get a good rank.

It's like in Viewtiful Joe, when they called the player crappy for getting a C rank.

EDIT: I also noticed that there is a little minigame during the loading screen. Kamiya absolutely refuses to have us bored for even one second :p
Okami had a special minigame during its loading screen, and Bayonetta had a little training mode in that games loading screen. Gotta love the Kamiya tropes.

I love how they insult the player for doing bad.

At 3:50, the newspaper says: "Where are our real heroes!?" along with giving the player a crappy rank.

Normally the paper says: "Our heroes done it again!" when you get a good rank.

It's like in Viewtiful Joe, when they called the player crappy for getting a C rank.

EDIT: I also noticed that there is a little minigame during the loading screen. Kamiya absolutely refuses to have us bored for even one second :p
Okami had a special minigame during its loading screen, and Bayonetta had a little training mode in that games loading screen. Gotta love the Kamiya tropes.

Can't wait for certain players to complain about feeling insulted by the ranking system.

Shenzakai

Banned
I jumped on the hype train for this game since it's announcement and first screenshots/vids. Man, Platinum, Cyberdragon bitchslapping, heroes like Toiletman :D, dat Kamiya in, holycrap WTF can't wait!! Definitely a true, unique gem on the horizon for us drained Wii U owners.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Just two months to go .... The first month will be tougher, as for the second one I have an army of pikmins to keep me company.

I blame Viewtiful Joe for giving me an unhealthy lust for acing certain scenes/scenarios. I could never rainbow V/pure platinum/S-rank everything, but goddamnit anything less than an A-rank was a failure on my part.

Varjet

I blame Viewtiful Joe for giving me an unhealthy lust for acing certain scenes/scenarios. I could never rainbow V/pure platinum/S-rank everything, but goddamnit anything less than an A-rank was a failure on my part.

"You are BAAAD"
*slams Reset button*

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They probably couldn't get away with it, but I'd love for Nintendo to just purposely dominate Summer. Like maybe put out a big title in Christmas but while everyone's releasing everything in August past just see Nintendo put out like Pokemon and this and these big bangers out in like April, June, July,

televator

Damn, I can't deny that this game is calling to me a bit. Viewtiful Joe was one of my faves on Gamecube and I feel that sort of flare coming from this game.

Varjet

I got a CRAAAP once. I felt like I was hit with the worst Yo Mama joke of them all. Just pain and embarrassment that digs into your soul.

That reminds me, in VJ2 one of the Chambers was unlocked by getting a "D'oh" rating. You kinda had to do bad on purpose. Like, really bad.

Hiltz

good to know funny how people say nintendo doesn't make new ips yet here is a new one

Well, in this case, Nintendo is just publishing it. Platinum is the one actually making it. People want Nintendo's in-house teams to make new IPs, including external 1st party developers like Retro Studios and there's Monolith Soft too (which has been making new IPs)

rokero

Well, in this case, Nintendo is just publishing it. Platinum is the one actually making it. People want Nintendo's in-house teams to make new IPs, including external 1st party developers like Retro Studios and there's Monolith Soft too (which has been making new IPs)

at the end of the day all that truly matters is that they belong to nintendo so it's still a new ip

Forever

Banned

Nintendo is having trouble transitioning to HD, their internal studios have their hands full with the core franchises as it is.

As a third party Platinum probably offers the best bang for buck out there. They deliver indisputable quality on schedule and within budget. Look at the magic they worked for Metal Gear Rising with just about a year of development time. It makes sense that Nintendo would want to tap Platinum to diversify the lineup right now.

kidko

It was my favorite demo at the Wii U preview event I went to in Austin. It's crazy how good it feels to draw shapes with your finger on the Gamepad and watch the little heroes respond instantly and form up to match what you draw. It has great feel. Tactile and snappy.

TDLink

They're funding it and own it, thus it's an original IP from Nintendo. It doesn't matter that a third party is actually the developer. They have had tons of third parties work on their IPs over the years (Star Fox, Zelda, F-Zero, DK, etc.), including ones that never existed prior (ex: Eternal Darkness). Those games are all still first party despite being developed by third parties.

Mlatador

Banned
I want the Wonderful 101 (and Bayonetta) to come out in a limited edtion.

What do you think the chances are?

I mean, Lego City Undercover was also funded and publishes by Nintendo and also got one.

I really hope they go all out on both games and release some cool SEs.

guek

Banned
I want the Wonderful 101 (and Bayonetta) to come out in a limited edtion.

What do you think the chances are?

I mean, Lego City Undercover was also funded and publishes by Nintendo and also got one.

I relly hope they go all out on both games and release some cool SEs.
Bayonetta, maybe. W101 is unlikely imo. Nintendo just doesn't seem to be pushing it hard at all, though they might just be waiting until after pikmin 3.

mmm....pikmin 3....

DaBoss

Bayonetta, maybe. W101 is unlikely imo. Nintendo just doesn't seem to be pushing it hard at all, though they might just be waiting until after pikmin 3.

mmm....pikmin 3....

Well that is usually the case. They push out one game at a time. I really want them to push TW101 really hard.

good to know funny how people say nintendo doesn't make new ips yet here is a new one

What isn't so funny is that Nintendo - as usual - sends this out to die for no reason. Can't blame people too much (although at least several people on a board like this should be aware before bitching) when Nintendo's marketing team does a piss poor job of promoting anything other than Mario lately. Even it's presentation during the E3 Direct was done terribly.

Mileena

Banned
Well that is usually the case. They push out one game at a time. I really want them to push TW101 really hard.

Sadly I doubt this is gonna happen. Tell your friends to buy it people, Nintendo will likely only give a shit about promoting Pikmin.

Doorman

I never really thought that any game would beat out a new 3-D Mario platformer in terms of excitement for me. From Mario 64 all the way up to Galaxy 2 they've always consistently been the beacons that I look forward to in my gaming year.

So weird to think of how much that's changed. Wonderful 101 is the one thing I MUST get onto my system as soon as it comes out.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
What isn't so funny is that Nintendo - as usual - sends this out to die for no reason. Can't blame people too much (although at least several people on a board like this should be aware before bitching) when Nintendo's marketing team does a piss poor job of promoting anything other than Mario lately. Even it's presentation during the E3 Direct was done terribly.

The game isn't out for what, 3 months in the U.S?

It is also a colorful, cartoony game from a developer which has never had a ton of commercial success.

I also expect a decent push in Japan (a W101 Direct has already been confirmed).

Nintendo funding a new IP from a very niche, very core oriented developer, and then having people bitch about it not selling 3 months before release strikes me as whining for the sake of whining.

Astral Dog

Nintendo published, funded and pushed both platinum titles at E3 and other events, they obviously care about them, Especially since they are two of the most anticipated and exclusive titles on Wii U.
Im not worried that they at least will try to advertise them .

Top Bottom