• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This book is like the Hunger Games, if the Hunger Games was super racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blair

Banned
What are all these stupid rules? Mate-rate?

Just buy a dildo and a vin diesel calender its far fucking easier.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Every writer nowadays is so fucking horny.

Every writer nowadays is so fucking horny.
Smut books have always existed. It's the readers who are horny!
NBC had a special in the early 2000's celebrating some benchmark and they made a big deal about Cosby making an all-black sitcom so soon after the civil rights movement; as if all those other shows, like Sanford and Son, Good Times, or The Jeffersons didn't exist.

What I'm saying is a lot of white people have a love of Cosby that is just odd.

Also, my first thought was "I wonder what the people who hated the black actors in 'The Hunger Games' think of this book."
It's true. Cosby was and is awesome. Sanford and Son was great too, though.

Darknight

dammit i clicked the website. please dont give them hits. this shit is sad.

I just wanted to see the chick with paint if it was true. lol.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
“Save the Pearls” is a vanity published YA novel trying to bill itself as the next “The Hunger Games.”

This should have set alarm bells off before reading any further.

Johann

Except people were turning into birds not dark skinned people...

125333.jpg

Think Megamorphs

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
"Coals" isn't something a political in-group would call itself, especially while naming the out-group after something attractive like pearls. The author's choice of words really speaks to her inner racist turmoil.

yea, it's very telling. and a little disturbing.

watershed

Banned
The names she chooses for different races in her novel "coals", "pearls", "ambers", "tiger eyes", I'm so glad writers like this exist to shepherd us into our new post-racial world!

"White people can be oppressed, too."

"Not really, no."

"But what if they were, hypothetically? Wouldn't that be weird?"

"Coals" isn't something a political in-group would call itself, especially while naming the out-group after something attractive like pearls. The author's choice of words really speaks to her inner racist turmoil.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/victoria-foyt/interracial-relationships_b_1312303.html

The author talks about the book, I like this bit

Not only does she cast doubt on black people being readers, but she pulls the "my best friend is black" and "the get over it " double combo.

This is what I was thinking. This lady is an idiot.

gurudyne

no no no

do not associate animorphs with this...

Yup, pretty much this. Aside from the thing-which-we-shall-not-be-drawing-comparisons-to thing, loving this thread. I usually hate reading So Bad It's Good works, but this looks unusually promising on that front--so conflicted right now.

Enosh

"Conceivably, if the book had not reached the African-American community of readers, if such a category still exists, "
What the fuuuuuuck
I don't think she is saying what you all think she is saying in that quote, but can't be sure since it's worded so badly, the rest of the article doesn't fit with the "lolz she thinks black people don't read" interpretation

The publisher says that “‘Save the Pearls turns the tables on racism.’”

When I read this sentence, I thought the "race-reversal" gimmick was being used to point out the ubiquitousness of racism; to expose white readers to their own privilege in a creative way.

Turns out, the book is some sort of grotesque love-child of Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter.

How exactly is this book racist? It sounds like social commentary.

In our world, whites are considered more desirable and generally have more powerful. This book turns that on its head and challenges them with the realities of our world but inverted.

In our world, whites are considered more desirable and generally have more powerful. This book turns that on its head and challenges them with the realities of our world but inverted.
Theory versus reality. The author doesn't actually seem to be approaching the topic with any degree of intelligence or tact.

She comes across more as having her head up her own ass than as actually hateful, but poignant social commentary this is not.

I don't think she's racist.

I do think her premise is incredibly flawed, hackneyed, and something straight out of the worst superhero comics.

As for the comment about the "African American Community of Readers," it seems like she lives in her own twisted world where racial/societal issues no longer exist, and therefore we can all be classified as "readers." Obviously not true.

If blacks had the "more powerful" I doubt they'd run around calling each other coals.

How exactly is this book racist?

So this is part of your Stephen Colbert shtick?

It sounds like social commentary.

That's what I expected, too. But after reading past the first sentence--and digesting those nausea-inducing quotes from her HuffPo article--it's clear that we're giving her too much credit.

Cipherr

Conceivably, if the book had not reached the African-American community of readers, if such a category still exists

This broad has lost her goddamned mind. So we don't read now? Ok....

Not only does she cast doubt on black people being readers, but she pulls the "my best friend is black" and "the get over it " double combo.

lol

watershed

Banned
This broad has lost her goddamned mind. So we don't read now? Ok....

I don't think her quote is meant to say that black people don't read. She's questioning whether there is still a category "black literature" or "black readership", basically does race still play a role in identity which is a very "post-racial" question and silly on its face.

But you guys, she knows what racism feels like!

No doubt most kids today would laugh at or find puzzling an incident that I now see influenced the way I thought about race in a blink of an instant.

Imagine this: a fourth grade girl with wild curly hair, huge green eyes and large bee-stung lips, her skin perpetually tanned from the Florida sun, stands alone waiting for her mother to pick her up after school. A large yellow school bus begins to pull away when a young boy sticks his head out of the window and hurls a racial slur at the girl.

Her first reaction is shame. He has slandered her with an ugly epithet -- a disgusting remark about her lips. Later, she wonders how he could possibly have mistaken her race. She is white, the remark usually targeted at blacks. (The term "African American" did not exist in that day.)

I just... I can't.
Also, dat parenthetical.

Could it be that this got misinterpreted and what she is saying is that there are no communities in general based on races when it comes to reading?

If that's the case, it means she doesn't know how to communicate effectively. Sounds like a winning trait for a purported "author."

Fuck it. I'm going to read this book. But I'm going to make sure I read it from cover to cover....completely. fucking. drunk.

This is either going to make me laugh or make me cry.

Let's do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom